Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Twitter users argue over the movie Blazing Saddles, would a 24 YO be triggered?

Twitter erupts in debate over whether western film ‘Blazing Saddles’ would survive ‘woke’ culture

Western satire 'Blazing Saddles' trends on Twitter as users debate whether the movie would be made in today's 'woke' society

"Blazing Saddles," a 1970s Western film, has sparked Twitter debate over whether the movie could be made in today's "woke culture." 

Many took to Twitter to applaud director Mel Brooks as a comedic genius because his film makes fun of racists and bigots. Others argued that the film's targets don't realize that the jokes are made at their expense. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-er...qbYF7NWPc0
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2022, 09:32 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Why the debate over whether it would be made today or not? It's already been made. The better question is probably 'would it be accepted by today's culture?'. Most likely not.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Probably the same crowd who love the movie but are too "woke" to admit it..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2022, 03:35 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

The movie has a lot of outrageous dialog, but all of it is intended to be satire of other western movies. Where other western movies might gloss over the overt racism and sexism of the late 1800s, Mel Brooks wanted to put it right in your face. And I think anybody who opposes racism or sexism today would still appreciate that.

I seem to remember a recent interview where Brooks says his only regret was the one scene where he dressed up as a native, and I tend to agree, scenes with natives in movies made today would be careful to use actual natives, but other than that it's the same movie with almost identical jokes.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

It's amazing that Mel Brooks is still with us. 96 years young. Him and Norman Lear ( 100! ), who addressed racism thru comedy in similar ways.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The movie isn’t racist, it’s it’s making fun of racists in a hilarious way.

Mel brooks had Richard Pryor help with the script for the movie, wanted him to play Sheriff Bart but his drug troubles got in the way of that. I can’t image anyone other than Cleavon Little playing him.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2022, 08:50 PM by Ronster.)

Funny movie, still ; I watched this a few weeks ago (again) still funny as hell, but no way a leftie admits it. It’s actually makes fun of racist, it’s the copious use of the N word that would flip their collective lids…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

It’s an hilarious movie, and one of my favs as you can see from my signature.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(12-07-2022, 04:04 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: The movie isn’t racist, it’s it’s making fun of racists in a hilarious way.

Mel brooks had Richard Pryor help with the script for the movie, wanted him to play Sheriff Bart but his drug troubles got in the way of that. I can’t image anyone other than Cleavon Little playing him.

Pryor might be a better case to examine, we know he abused some of the women in his life.  He had a rough road in Hollywood in his own time with the drug abuse, but in our time I don't think comedians get second chances after they beat women.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Woke culture is cancel culture sadly. Need to be educated there. I stay with the NFL and not stuff that is dirty to both my heart and soul. Will leave it at that.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

(12-07-2022, 02:03 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Why the debate over whether it would be made today or not?  It's already been made.  The better question is probably 'would it be accepted by today's culture?'.  Most likely not.

I doubt it would be made today but I think 20-somethings get that it's satire. There was a run of reaction videos on YouTube with Gen Z'ers cackling away to it. Some of my younger relatives agree. They also almost universally agree that it couldn't get made today. The farting scene goes over particularly well.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-08-2022, 02:44 AM)Passepartout Wrote: Woke culture is cancel culture sadly. Need to be educated there. I stay with the NFL and not stuff that is dirty to both my heart and soul. Will leave it at that.

Boy howdy we could start an entire thread on the hypocrisy of this statement, but let's uh, not.

In 2000, the American Film Institute ranked Blazing Saddles number six on its list of the 100 Funniest Movies of All Time. It was deemed “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant” and selected for preservation by the National Film Registry six years later. Additionally, former New York City mayor Mike Bloomberg cited Blazing Saddles as his all-time favorite film, and the late Roger Ebert gave it a perfect four-star rating, describing it as “a crazed grabbag of a movie that does everything to keep us laughing except hit us over the head with a rubber chicken ... It’s an audience picture; it doesn’t have a lot of classy polish and its structure is a total mess. But of course! What does that matter when Alex Karras is knocking a horse cold with a right sock to the jaw?”
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

My 24 wouldn't be offended.. Cause I wouldn't raise him or her to be a slang word for a vagina..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]