Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baalke is really going to earn his money next year.

(12-16-2022, 09:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 08:48 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Trevor’s ascension will make filling holes on the roster a little easier. Having the guy at QB that’s viewed as potentially the next big star will appeal to guys that want to go somewhere not only to get paid, but to compete for championships.  There may still be guys that just don’t want to play in Jax (see recent waiver claim Henderson), but Trevor’s presence here will still open up some guys’ minds.  And if what has been said about Henderson just not showing up after being claimed is true, we don’t want that kind of stupid anywhere near the locker room anyway.

You guys ready for sustained success?  I have a feeling some of you aren’t going to know what to do with yourselves.

It's not true.

There was video of him drilling with the RB group. 

They just figured out why the rams cut him and had no choice but to do the same.

(12-16-2022, 08:47 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Tennessee. Best rushing defense in the league.

Detroit. Jags got obliterated so they stopped running the ball.

Baltimore. Got hurt.

Those are his last 3 games. He hasn’t fallen off a map. I’ll go ahead and guarantee he has over 80 rushing yards on Sunday.

Exactly.

The low yards before contact in two of those contests is a problem as well - correlates with the better rush defenses and further exposes the issues present in our OL. 

The last four games have been bad team efforts to run the ball for a number of reasons. 
Interpreting that as "ETN falling off a map" is a bad take.

Henderson was an injury/insurance policy claim. ETN is fine and Hasty played well in spot duty....
"Etn falling off" and being upset over Henderson not being a season saving waiver claim are the most jaguar fan reactions ever

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Baalke is not getting fired. Khan has shown that he has patience (to a fault) and was even quoted years back that he wanted to conduct business in the same model as the Steelers who rarely change GMs and Coaches.

(12-16-2022, 11:03 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Baalke is not getting fired.  Khan has shown that he has patience (to a fault) and was even quoted years back that he wanted to conduct business in the same model as the Steelers who rarely change GMs and Coaches.

Nothing special about the GM. Not much will change if he is retained or let go. Don't like him but don't care if he is still here. He can waste money and draft picks just as well as the last 3 front offices.

All comes down to the coach and QB. I hope Lawrence can keep us improving and shows that he is a difference maker. The NFL is down overall so why not us for king of mediocre league.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-16-2022, 06:22 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Jags fan are bipolar when it comes to balkie.

I don't believe Khan is inclined to move on from Baalke, but it's not out of the question.  It's not as though Baalke is beyond reproach.
Baalke burned a ton of bridges in SF with his poor drafting and constant infighting.

When he resurfaced here, Baalke was in the room for the disastrous 2020 draft that produced Henderson, Chaisson, and Shenault in the first two rounds.  Two of those players are now in Carolina, less than 1 rookie contract removed from being drafted by the team.

Last year, he hit the jackpot with Trevor Lawrence at the very top of the draft, got no first year impact out of Etienne, Walker Little, the 2nd round pick, and next to no immediate impact out of Cisco.  While Etienne has shown flashes, he has also shown a propensity to fumble and take huge hits.  Little not making immediate impact wasn't very surprising given the circumstances, but he hasn't ascended in his second year.  WIth a stressed cap situation and Jawaan Taylor a looming free agent, RT seems an area of need.  If Little can't take over the spot adequately, his selection becomes the latest in a long line of blown picks.  

Yes, the team has shown some improvement this year.  At this draft, Baalke joked that they were expected to not draft at the top of the order in 2023.  It appears they will manage to surpass that meager standard.

But barring winning the last 4 games, it still doesn't equate to a winning season.  Progress from 1-15 to 3-14 to a less than playoff season alone shouldn't be enough to hang any banners in your stadium.  NFL teams have changed GMs after multiple seasons of success.  The tacks just let go of their GM after three straight winning seasons and a winning record and first plce standing this year.  The Vikings moved on from Rick Spielman after appearing in the conference championship with Case freaking Keenum as their starting QB.  The Texans moved on from Rick Smith despite the success the Texans had with him making graft choices like Duane Brown, DeAndre Hopkins and JJ Watt. 

Truth is, the draft demands and expectations should be increased from this point on.  Lawrence has now moved beyond his rookie and initial development phase.  With Pederson, it now appears he is on his way to becoming a franchise QB.  Baalke has or should have the mandate of getting him the surrounding talent for Trevor Lawrence to reach and win a Super Bowl.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

If they do fire Baalke, they likely will replace from in house (like they always do) and just promote Waugh.

Baalke is actually a really good talent evaluator...

You know what his problem is? The Salary Cap....

With that said... I really want us to make the playoffs this year. We need to have positive vibes to will it into the football Universe.

2023 is going to mean that a lot of our favorite players are gonna be gone. And that's because of Baalke's mis-managment of the cap.

But let's ignore all that bull [BLEEP] for right now. We're still in the playoff hunt. Let's enjoy this team and these warriors that have never quit! I think we can do it! I think the football gods are smiling upon us! This team is going to give the cowboys all they can handle. And then on Thursday night we are going to embarrass the east coast's media darlins.

Let's enjoy it. It's about to be a crazy 3 weeks. But it's ours to revel in.

Afterwards we can be solemn for the players we lose in free agency and cap hell.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I endorsed pre-draft and on the clock the 2021 picks of Etienne and Little. So to the extent I criticize Baalke for those picks, I throw myself under the bus.

With this in mind, I offered the above to illustrate an NFL GM with access to input from scouts, coaches, etc., SHOULD be expected to outdraft some guy on a message board. I know Trevor Lawrence and Doug Pederson deserve better.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-16-2022, 11:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: If they do fire Baalke, they likely will replace from in house (like they always do) and just promote Waugh.

Judging solely from the multitude of opinions when we hired him, that would likely be a really nice upgrade for us.

I wouldn't expect Baalke to be fired since the team has improved significantly this season and enough of his free agents/draft picks have done well. The only way he'd be fired would be if he begins clashing with Doug Pederson, however they appear to be working together well to this point.

With respect to Baalke managing the salary cap, he will certainly need to make critical decisions regarding personnel. The 2 "easiest" decisions will be to release Shaq Griffin and not re-sign Jawaan Taylor. These two moves will help greatly. Roy Robertson-Harris has played well, but his $10 million cap hit does not justify keeping him even though he has a dead cap number of slightly over $2 million. Chaisson will also be let go as he has contributed basically nothing towards the team's pass rush. The most difficult decisions will be whether to re-sign Evan Engram and if he can manage to keep Rayshawn Jenkins. Although both these players have their weaknesses, it would be hard to replace them with players as good due to the fact that other positions such as offensive line, cornerback and number 1 receiver are greater need areas in the off-season.

The good news is that Trevor Lawrence should continue to improve making the entire offense better. If Pederson and Phil Rauscher have little confidence in Walker Little, it will be imperative to draft a right tackle in rounds 1 or 2 since the worst possible thing that can happen now to this franchise is for Lawrence to get injured due to bad pass protection. This is why I consider Peter Skoronski to be a strong possibility with the first pick. He would be able to be plugged in immediately and strengthen what has been a very mediocre run-blocking line as well as keeping pass rushers away from Lawrence. He has been mocked anywhere from 5-15 and I believe he will shine at the combine meaning he will be likely taken closer to 5 and out of reach for the Jaguars.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2022, 02:59 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-16-2022, 02:20 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I wouldn't expect Baalke to be fired since the team has improved significantly this season and enough of his free agents/draft picks have done well. The only way he'd be fired would be if he begins clashing with Doug Pederson, however they appear to be working together well to this point.

With respect to Baalke managing the salary cap, he will certainly need to make critical decisions regarding personnel. The 2 "easiest" decisions will be to release Shaq Griffin and not re-sign Jawaan Taylor. These two moves will help greatly. Roy Robertson-Harris has played well, but his $10 million cap hit does not justify keeping him even though he has a dead cap number of slightly over $2 million. Chaisson will also be let go as he has contributed basically nothing towards the team's pass rush. The most difficult decisions will be whether to re-sign Evan Engram and if he can manage to keep Rayshawn Jenkins. Although both these players have their weaknesses, it would be hard to replace them with players as good due to the fact that other positions such as offensive line, cornerback and number 1 receiver are greater need areas in the off-season.

The good news is that Trevor Lawrence should continue to improve making the entire offense better. If Pederson and Phil Rauscher have little confidence in Walker Little, it will be imperative to draft a right tackle in rounds 1 or 2 since the worst possible thing that can happen now to this franchise is for Lawrence to get injured due to bad pass protection. This is why I consider Peter Skoronski to be a strong possibility with the first pick. He would be able to be plugged in immediately and strengthen what has been a very mediocre run-blocking line as well as keeping pass rushers away from Lawrence. He has been mocked anywhere from 5-15 and I believe he will shine at the combine meaning he will be likely taken closer to 5 and out of reach for the Jaguars.

This shouldnt be a difficult decision at all imo. If they cant agree on a extension just tag him.  The tag on a TE this past year was 9.4 mil.  Engram's 1 year deal this year was 9 mil, so the tag would be about the same as what he is making this year.  I think bringing back Engram is a lock even if we dont resign him to a long term deal, we will just tag him. Little is being groomed to take over at RT.

Hopefully we can resign Wingard on fair contract

(12-16-2022, 04:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, you guys thought Baalke was getting fired? Please.

At least this posting wasn't labeled as an Negative about Baalke.  NO, Baalke or any other GM can fill ALL of our glaring holes in just one or two seasons and maintain a descent cap figure.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Say what you want, but we look more like an actual NFL team this year than we have in the last 3 seasons. I would certainly retain Baalke.

I think there's very little chance that Baalke is fired this year.  Khan has shown incredible loyalty in the past; this is only Baalke's second year as GM; and the team has shown improvement.  You could question whether it is enough improvement given the resources, but Khan doesn't seem to think like that.

As for his performance, I would consider it a mixed bag with a lot of unknowns to be determined.  I hear people say that he drafted Lawrence, ETN and Campbell last year.  Lawrence was a no brainer.  I really think any GM would have done the same.  My niece could have made that pick.  As for ETN and Campbell, yes, they are good, but they were also top 33 overall draft selections.  You should expect those picks to be good.  What did Baalke do after that?  We got Cisco, but not much else.  Walker Little was taken in the top half of the second round and he still can't find a starting spot after two years.  Baalke's day 3 picks have been terrible with only one player from that draft currently on the active roster and he's our fourth string tight end who has played less than 10% of the offensive snaps.  

As for 2022, if someone was being unbiased and judging it based upon on the field performance up to this point, I don't think it would get a very good grade.  Walker was taken #1 overall.  Is he NFL rookie of the year?  Is he even in the conversation?  Many say he is a project, but no one forced the Jaguars to take a project.  We hope he will improve, but that's still an unknown at this point.  LLoyd after starting strong has gotten benched.  Fortner is starting, but how good has he really been?  Muma is a nice pick in isolation but becomes questionable after having signed Oluokun to a big contract in free agency and drafting Lloyd in the first round.  What's the plan?  Baalke spent major resources on 3 players for only 2 starting positions.  Do the math.  As for day 3, it again, has netted us very little production up to this point.  One draft pick couldn't make the 53 man roster and another has only been on the field for 16 regular season snaps.  The other was a game day inactive until injuries occurred.  That being said, these players haven't even completed their rookie season.  How fair is it to judge them?  Their fate is still to be determined.  

As for free agency, we literally set an NFL record for spending this off-season.  You should expect some results out of that.  I won't go through the free agents one by one, but I would also consider them to be a mixed bag.  Some have been good, but we also spent a ton of money on a defense that still isn't very good. 

I didn't support hiring Baalke as I didn't think he was the best qualified and thought we should have gone with a fresh start after the Urban Meyer fiasco.  However, the decision has been made and we just have to hope for the best.  Time will tell.

If we lose out I think he gets fired. If we win at least 2 more games i think he for sure stays

(12-16-2022, 04:25 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Say what you want, but we look more like an actual NFL team this year than we have in the last 3 seasons. I would certainly retain Baalke.
That’s not because of Baalke. That’s Trevor and Pederson.

(12-16-2022, 02:20 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I wouldn't expect Baalke to be fired since the team has improved significantly this season and enough of his free agents/draft picks have done well. The only way he'd be fired would be if he begins clashing with Doug Pederson, however they appear to be working together well to this point.

I'd be all for that. As far as Little is concerned, I still believe he is capable of replacing Taylor at right tackle. I'd try to give him some playing time now until the end of the season to gain valuable experience. Even if he plays well, I'd still draft an offensive tackle no later than the 3rd round.