Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The preseason has given me very mixed emotions about this team.

I am only discussingthe starters here.

Watching the first two games gave me confidence about the direction of this team. The offense was clicking and the defense was getting off the field. The offensive line pass protected well while opening up running lanes for the RB's.

The 3rd preseason game was a whole different story.  Too many 3 and outs combined with the defense not able to get off the field.  This has been the Jags formula for the last few years.  Joeckle got slapped around like a red headed step child while the line opened up very few holes for the RB's.  The defense got beat again and again on third down.  The pass rush struggled as usual.

So what is it with this team? I don't know if the first two games are indication of a rising team or does the third game show the real team?

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Boy I hope they win and do good. You and Jerrad are already burning through 2015's ice cream jokes at an alarming rate, and we haven't even lost a real game yet.

We are going to have our good games and we are going to have our bad games. It's just the way it works in the NFL especially for a young team.

If we are able to be on point 2 out of 3 games, we are 10-6 or 11-5.

The 3rd preseason game just showed us how far behind we are against the good teams and thats far. Gus looked lost and in way over his bald head. Expect a 6-10, 7-9 season.

i think it just shows where we're at.

The jets and tampa are solid sides but not special. The bengals are top tier and always have one of the best overall rosters in the nfl.

We're a middle of the pack team with tonnes of youth and potential on both sides of the ball and if we put it all together could win our division and make it into the playoffs but we're not on a level with those top end teams in the nfl.

The only thing this preseason has lead me to expect is that we will probably loose to green bay and san diego and the majority of this board will loose their minds over the fact, call for everyone to get fired and cry we're headed for another 4-12. Maybe they're right but I reckon everything will work out ok and looking at our schedule I wouldn't be suprised to see us start poorly then win 6 of our last 8 to snatch the division.

Added though joeckel got slapped around at guard, geno atkins is a beast that slaps everyone around.

Quote:The 3rd preseason game just showed us how far behind we are against the good teams and thats far. Gus looked lost and in way over his bald head. Expect a 6-10, 7-9 season.
Why are you fixated on one game?

The first and second preseason game showed that the third preseason game might have been an aberration.

I'll take two out of three any day.

Quote:The bengals are top tier and always have one of the best overall rosters in the nfl

Not quite mate. Read up on the Bungles. They were perennial doormats during the Jags' heyday. We were in the same division, AFC Central, and slapped them around for years. #Jon Kitna, #Corey Dillon. Different times for em. It's a cyclical league.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Not quite mate. Read up on the Bungles. They were perennial doormats during the Jags' heyday. We were in the same division, AFC Central, and slapped them around for years. #Jon Kitna, #Corey Dillon. Different times for em. It's a cyclical league.

Well the Jags are past due for their cycle.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I recall when Mark Brunell felt like he was on vacation whenever he played the Bengals.

I'm really not worried about the offense provided the OL does its job. One of the main issues in the Bengals game was that the offense was on the sidelines way too long as the Bengals offense had their way with our defense. What worries me is the defense, and in particular the run defense. We're going to be up against some very good running teams, and we simply can't afford for the defense to be that pathetic. I'm certain it's not so much a talent issue as much as it is the guys coming together and playing as a unit in time. I feel like they can be so much better, but it's a work in progress. Chances are Lacy will slaughter our defense, but I'm hoping the learning experience will go a long ways towards helping them turn the corner. That said, I'm not completely ceding the game as I can still see a situation where our offense outscores them in a shoot-out, but they can only do that if the defense can get off the field. Eventually the defense will fine-tune itself, and we should be a darn good team.

'02

Reading too much into preseason is often misleading.

I dislike WonderBus Gus as much as any Gus hater does... But context is needed. Its preseason. Nothing really matters, the good and the bad.

What worries me a little is that what I saw in the Bengals game was lack of effort.   Maybe we were still in preseason, don't-get-injured mode, but still, that was the dress rehearsal, and we pretty much failed the test.   It looked like our offensive and defensive linemen were trying to stay on their feet, while the Bengals just got lower and overpowered them as a result.   That bothers me, because we're supposed to play "real football" in preseason game 3, and nobody stated otherwise; no one said we were just going out there and trying to stay healthy.  There was one scrum where the Bengals RB moved the pile about 10 yards, and it looked like none of our defensive players was willing to commit full effort to stopping the guy.  

I'm still in wait and see mode about this coaching staff.   I'm not making a judgment until I see a few games where we have a competitive level of talent: that's this year; it's arrived.  We can't have any more games where the team inexplicably goes out and lays an egg.  For the past few years we've had games where we just say, "What the heck was that?"   And the explanation was something like, "It didn't go the way we wanted it to..."  or "It didn't go the way we expected..."   I want someone to give a clear explanation of why the team didn't show up!  

We finally have a good level of talent on this squad, and from all reports, the players love playing for Gus, so I am hoping and praying he succeeds, because if he doesn't, then we will be starting over again with yet another head coach, and I am so sick of that I don't know how I would be able to stand it.  

Quote:Boy I hope they win and do good. You and Jerrad are already burning through 2015's ice cream jokes at an alarming rate, and we haven't even lost a real game yet.

Catch up with the times, buddy. Gus had the ice cream coolers and the soft serve machine uninstalled this offseason.

The reward for competing and getting better this year is a pizza party, with high level performers getting extra toppings. After wins, everybody on the team will get breadsticks with their choice of dipping sauce.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Not too worried about the Week 3 loss to the Bengals.  Gus obviously didn't want to show our stuff whereas the Bengals have had this game marked on their calendars since the Schedule was released.  For us it was just another preseason game but the Bengals were studying film on us since May in attempt to exact their revenge against the Jags after that bitter late season loss by the score of 23-20 in 2005.

I think I've downgraded from "cautiously optimistic" to "guarded uncertainty". Too many past instances of thinking we got it right, only to be brought down to reality within a few games of the start of the real season. I want to believe that we will fare well, but I'm waiting until I see it. I drafted the Jags defense in a FF league this season, only to drop them 1 day later. I hope that dropping them in my league proves to be the worst decision ever.

Quote:I think I've downgraded from "cautiously optimistic" to "guarded uncertainty". Too many past instances of thinking we got it right, only to be brought down to reality within a few games of the start of the real season. I want to believe that we will fare well, but I'm waiting until I see it. I drafted the Jags defense in a FF league this season, only to drop them 1 day later. I hope that dropping them in my league proves to be the worst decision ever.

About midseason, barring a barrage of injuries, I think we will see a pretty good defense. I'll consider picking them up later in the season. Too many new guys on the defensive side for them to start gelling right away.

To go along with the thread's initial topic, I agree. Very mixed feelings. I'm very confident the passing game will be killer. Still have no idea what to expect in the running game, Defensively, or on special teams.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2016, 09:27 PM by HERO OF THE DAY.)

The Jags are AFC SOUTH CHAMPIONS especially this season.. I think with only a few weeks to gel Joeckel and Beachum will do it quickly.. Notice how confident Bradley was in that presser.. He stated that playing inside plays to Joeckel's strength especially in the run game.. He's basically saying he should benefit good from playing there.. I believe he will remember he just started playing LG..

All the talk stops now. Time to see if the Oehser curse has been lifted.

Quote:All the talk stops now. Time to see if the Oehser curse has been lifted.
He's still here, so it still remains.

i'm ready for the season I don't think we will see the jags team we want to until about week five though.  If we can score early, get an early stop and run effectively I think we will be fine.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine