Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Smoot Injury

Any word on this?

Looked like an achilles unfortunately, but I'm no doctor. 

He was just pushing off to rush the passer and went down immediately on his own grabbing behind the ankle.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Really hoping he’s ok… he’s been such a good contributer for us over the years and he really deserves to enjoy the success this team is having on the field as we approach the playoffs..

Prayers for ya Big Smoot!

Hope he avoids a major injury as we need him he's been a big contributor this year.

This injury really stings... No official word, but when nobody touches you and you go down the way Smoot does... I hope it's a sprain and not a tear...

"Appears to be a right Achilles rupture" is the best we've got so far.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

That sucks. ^^^

(12-23-2022, 09:47 AM)TTechJag85 Wrote: Really hoping he’s ok… he’s been such a good contributer for us over the years and he really deserves to enjoy the success this team is having on the field as we approach the playoffs..

Agreed on all counts.

He's UFA after this season too. Not good for him at all.

The fact we haven't heard anything yet does not bode well. If it's an Achilles injury, the injustice would be crushing. He's been grinding away in the trenches when things were the darkest, and now that the team is turning around, he suffers this.

Poor Smoot. I hope the team gives him a chance to come back and play after next year.

(12-23-2022, 10:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The fact we haven't heard anything yet does not bode well. If it's an Achilles injury, the injustice would be crushing. He's been grinding away in the trenches when things were the darkest, and now that the team is turning around, he suffers this.

It's a kick in the nuts, for sure.

I tore my achilles when I was reffing my daughter's soccer game.  Similar thing, I just made a quick change of direction with my planted right foot, and *POP*.

The way he was being helped off the field, the amount of pain he was in, and the fact that the moment his injured foot touched the ground was like touching hot lava was very familiar to my experience.  I've been a big fan of Smoot all year, I hate to see this for him.  He's gonna have a tough 2 months just for post op...  And then he'll need another 8 months to rehab his entire body, obviously including his foot, ankle, and calf of the affected side...

The only bright side I can think of is how quickly and successfully JRob came back from his achilles....  Maybe we have a really great training program that will make Smoot's injury just a bump in the road?

(12-23-2022, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Any word on this?

He was just pushing off to rush the passer and went down immediately on his own grabbing behind the ankle.

Was listening to the Game on the radio last night and Boselli said he thought he knew what it was but didn't want to say and then they started talking achilies so sounds like it may be a bad one.

Smoot is a solid rotation guy and a big body up front which we need but we've got good production from Key this year. I know how crazy this sounds but if Chaisson can just give us SOME kind of pass rush we may be able to overcome this.

(12-23-2022, 10:23 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 09:47 AM)TTechJag85 Wrote: Really hoping he’s ok… he’s been such a good contributer for us over the years and he really deserves to enjoy the success this team is having on the field as we approach the playoffs..

Agreed on all counts.

He's UFA after this season too. Not good for him at all.

He was to be an UFA, now likely an OOFA.

[Image: oof-size-large-23-memes-85.jpg]

Ugh.. love Smoot. Heartbreaking
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(12-23-2022, 12:05 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 09:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Any word on this?

Was listening to the Game on the radio last night and Boselli said he thought he knew what it was but didn't want to say and then they started talking achilies so sounds like it may be a bad one.

Smoot is a solid rotation guy and a big body up front which we need but we've got good production from Key this year. I know how crazy this sounds but if Chaisson can just give us SOME kind of pass rush we may be able to overcome this.

Unfortunately, Chaisson can't mitigate this loss since he plays a different position and is trying to help mitigate the loss of Travon Walker. 

If someone steps up to aid Smoot's absence it will have to be Gotsis, the one DL left on the PS, or a street FA. 
There aren't really any other DTs left that aren't already getting significant rotational snaps. 

(Smoot plays mostly at 3-4 DE or DT in 4-3 looks. Not a ton of snaps outside)

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2022, 12:53 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

What a bummer, guy has been a warrior Jag all the way through the bad times. He deserved to enjoy the good times. I am sure they called Baptist and had someone meet them when they got back for an MRI. (Happens after every game)

Unfortunately for us we are light on big bodies, with a date with the rushing king on the horizon.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(12-23-2022, 10:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The fact we haven't heard anything yet does not bode well. If it's an Achilles injury, the injustice would be crushing. He's been grinding away in the trenches when things were the darkest, and now that the team is turning around, he suffers this.

He also was finally going to get a big contract for him. It wouldn't have been huge but a multi year deal from some team. It's really terrible timing for him.

(12-23-2022, 11:57 AM)Newton Wrote: Poor Smoot. I hope the team gives him a chance to come back and play after next year.

He won't be back next year. Not sure on the NFL rules but hopefully the Jags can still pay him and keep him on IR next year. He basically won't be getting a contract like was planned. 2024 will be the 1st season he is ready to play and he will probably have to stick with 1 year deals or maybe get a 2 year deal if he plays well in '24.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Did someone above say he is an UFA? What a bummer for him. Hopefully someone will take a chance on him and give him a contract close to what he would have received before the injury. Guy deserves to be paid for everything he has given us.

Anyways this could be Chaisson's chance. Only reason he got drafted in the first round is he had a few big games late in his career with LSU. Maybe he'll step up big hoping to cash in. I don't think we should pay him but maybe we'll get some bang for all the bucks we've already spent.