Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Foye Oluokun - Worth Every Penny

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2023, 09:27 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-30-2023, 04:53 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Foye Oluokun is starting to make a case for one of the great Linebackers in franchise history but hold on a minute….

Posluszny has 816 combined tackles, 11 ints, 13 sacks, 4 FF, 1 TD. Pro Bowler. He also has more solo tackles and more assisted tackles than any player in team history.
*100 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Daryl Smith is 2nd in tackles with 681 combined, but also had 21.5 sacks which is 13th in franchise history. D.Smith also had 9 FF which is tops for a Jaguars LB, 6 int, 9 FF, 1 TD
*126 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Kevin Hardy was an all-pro in ‘99 and had a 10.5 sack season. 28.5 sacks which is 7th all time in team history, 504 combined tackles, 5 int, 8 FF. Placed 3rd in defensive rookie player of the year in 1996. Placed 6th in defensive player of the year in 1999 with an approximate value of 17 which is the highest of any LB in Jaguars history.
*86 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Telvin Smith has the most defensive returned TD in team history with 4. He’s 3rd in combined tackles. 9 ints, 5 FF, 7.5 sacks 4 TD
*76 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Mike Peterson is 4th in combined tackles in team history. Also had 8 ints, 15 sacks, 1 TD, 5 FF
*78 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Oluokun has 276 combined tackles, 2 sacks, 1 int, 3 FF, 1 TD
*25 games played in a Jaguars uniform.

Oluokun is still behind Akin Ayodele and Russell Allen in combined tackles. If we can hold on to Oluokun for another 2 seasons, he will be at the top of every defensive category but he’s still got a ways to go before he surpasses the best LBers in franchise history.

-SM

If "best LB in franchise history" is determined by longevity, then sure.  But if it's determined by who plays the best, then he has a strong case.

Sort of like if someone said, "Trevor Lawrence is the best QB we've ever had."  And someone else responds, "But Blake Bortles has more touchdown passes."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nice profile by NFL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY4-G9-Ci9I

(10-30-2023, 05:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 04:53 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Foye Oluokun is starting to make a case for one of the great Linebackers in franchise history but hold on a minute….

Posluszny has 816 combined tackles, 11 ints, 13 sacks, 4 FF, 1 TD. Pro Bowler. He also has more solo tackles and more assisted tackles than any player in team history.
*100 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Daryl Smith is 2nd in tackles with 681 combined, but also had 21.5 sacks which is 13th in franchise history. D.Smith also had 9 FF which is tops for a Jaguars LB, 6 int, 9 FF, 1 TD
*126 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Kevin Hardy was an all-pro in ‘99 and had a 10.5 sack season. 28.5 sacks which is 7th all time in team history, 504 combined tackles, 5 int, 8 FF. Placed 3rd in defensive rookie player of the year in 1996. Placed 6th in defensive player of the year in 1999 with an approximate value of 17 which is the highest of any LB in Jaguars history.
*86 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Telvin Smith has the most defensive returned TD in team history with 4. He’s 3rd in combined tackles. 9 ints, 5 FF, 7.5 sacks 4 TD
*76 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Mike Peterson is 4th in combined tackles in team history. Also had 8 ints, 15 sacks, 1 TD, 5 FF
*78 games played in a Jaguars uniform

Oluokun has 276 combined tackles, 2 sacks, 1 int, 3 FF, 1 TD
*25 games played in a Jaguars uniform.

Oluokun is still behind Akin Ayodele and Russell Allen in combined tackles. If we can hold on to Oluokun for another 2 seasons, he will be at the top of every defensive category but he’s still got a ways to go before he surpasses the best LBers in franchise history.

-SM

If "best LB in franchise history" is determined by longevity, then sure.  But if it's determined by who plays the best, then he has a strong case.

Sort of like if someone said, "Trevor Lawrence is the best QB we've ever had."  And someone else responds, "But Blake Bortles has more touchdown passes."

I think that same "someone else" served on the voting committees that put Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis, and Art Monk into the Hall of Fame instead of the Basement of Pretty Good.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Foye is honestly my favorite player on the team right now. I didn't know much about him prior to us signing him so for me, he was a welcomed surprise.

Foye is #2 on this list, but look who is #1.. Quincy Williams.. You know, that LB Urban and Baalke cut in favor of Damien Wilson, Tyrell Adams, Jamir Jones, Lerentee McCray, and Chapelle Russell...
https://twitter.com/ASchatzNFL/status/17...8040318286

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2023, 04:23 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-28-2023, 10:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Foye is #2 on this list, but look who is #1.. Quincy Williams.. You know, that LB Urban and Baalke cut in favor of Damien Wilson, Tyrell Adams, Jamir Jones, Lerentee McCray, and Chapelle Russell...

In fairness, Quincy was not playing like that or even predicted to ever be like that. The jags have messed up on some players.

(12-29-2023, 04:22 AM)Jag88 Wrote:
(12-28-2023, 10:14 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Foye is #2 on this list, but look who is #1.. Quincy Williams.. You know, that LB Urban and Baalke cut in favor of Damien Wilson, Tyrell Adams, Jamir Jones, Lerentee McCray, and Chapelle Russell...

In fairness, Quincy was not playing like that or even predicted to ever be like that. The jags have messed up on some players.

Brandon Marshall (the lber) comes to mind a long time ago. Think he was undrafted or a late pick for us, never saw the field and went to the Broncos and was a really good LBer for awhile.

Imagine if he stayed here and we had the OTHER brandon marshall and the OTHER josh allen lol.

In addition to that, fans by and large will run those rookies and the GMs that drafted them out of town if they don't come in and show out within the first 6-8 games of their career.

(12-29-2023, 01:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 04:22 AM)Jag88 Wrote: In fairness, Quincy was not playing like that or even predicted to ever be like that. The jags have messed up on some players.

In addition to that, fans by and large will run those rookies and the GMs that drafted them out of town if they don't come in and show out within the first 6-8 games of their career.

And that's why sitting here evaluating Fortner is tough. Move on too soon and you get ripped, keep him too long and...you get ripped.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2023, 09:05 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-29-2023, 05:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 01:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: In addition to that, fans by and large will run those rookies and the GMs that drafted them out of town if they don't come in and show out within the first 6-8 games of their career.

And that's why sitting here evaluating Fortner is tough. Move on too soon and you get ripped, keep him too long and...you get ripped.

He needs to be a back up probably. He needs to hit the weight room some more.

Small school kid who needed some time to develop. He also never really got a fair shot here. They cut him after his 2nd season, the Jets picked him up and he instantly produced for them.

(12-29-2023, 08:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 04:22 AM)Jag88 Wrote: In fairness, Quincy was not playing like that or even predicted to ever be like that. The jags have messed up on some players.

Small school kid who needed some time to develop. He also never really got a fair shot here. They cut him after his 2nd season, the Jets picked him up and he instantly produced for them.

And then we spent a ton of resources getting guys to do what he could've done. Thanks Urbz and GM!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-29-2023, 05:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 01:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: In addition to that, fans by and large will run those rookies and the GMs that drafted them out of town if they don't come in and show out within the first 6-8 games of their career.

Fortner is an absolute bum. Keep him around as a backup if you want for the next 2 years and see if he somehow miraculously turns a corner but you cannot trot that man out as a starter next year or there will be a riot.

(12-30-2023, 09:28 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(12-29-2023, 05:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And that's why sitting here evaluating Fortner is tough. Move on too soon and you get ripped, keep him too long and...you get ripped.

Fortner is an absolute bum. Keep him around as a backup if you want for the next 2 years and see if he somehow miraculously turns a corner but you cannot trot that man out as a starter next year or there will be a riot.

Funnily enough I had us mocked to take Fortner in the 6th or 7th, can't remember. So when they took him in the 3rd I was like "well they must know something I don't"

Hindsight: they didn't.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2023, 08:33 PM by Jag88.)

(12-30-2023, 08:29 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 09:28 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Fortner is an absolute bum. Keep him around as a backup if you want for the next 2 years and see if he somehow miraculously turns a corner but you cannot trot that man out as a starter next year or there will be a riot.

Funnily enough I had us mocked to take Fortner in the 6th or 7th, can't remember. So when they took him in the 3rd I was like "well they must know something I don't"

Balkie likes to get his targets way early to make sure they aren’t taken. Don’t question a master.

(12-30-2023, 08:33 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 08:29 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Funnily enough I had us mocked to take Fortner in the 6th or 7th, can't remember. So when they took him in the 3rd I was like "well they must know something I don't"

Balkie likes to get his targets way early to make sure they aren’t taken. Don’t question a master.

I'm questioning myself on why I thought we should draft him at all tbh.

(12-30-2023, 08:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 08:33 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Balkie likes to get his targets way early to make sure they aren’t taken. Don’t question a master.

I'm questioning myself on why I thought we should draft him at all tbh.

I liked the pick, Fortner looks good on paper

Thank God we drafted both Lloyd and Muma... said no one ever.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2023, 12:57 AM by Jag88.)

(12-31-2023, 12:08 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Thank God we drafted both Lloyd and Muma... said no one ever.

Mistakes. SMH. Lloyd has been good, but he gets worked in pass coverage a lot. We don’t even blitz him which is one of his potential strengths. Sheesh

(12-31-2023, 12:56 AM)Jag88 Wrote:
(12-31-2023, 12:08 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Thank God we drafted both Lloyd and Muma... said no one ever.

Mistakes. SMH. Lloyd has been good, but he gets worked in pass coverage a lot. We don’t even blitz him which is one of his potential strengths. Sheesh

They have literally sent Lloyd on run and/or pass blitzes 27 times this season. 
He has not been good at getting to the QB. 1 QB hit from all of that - no sacks. 

Oluokun has 40 blitzes  - 2.5 sacks and 13 pressures.

I like Devin Lloyd and he's been better this year than last for sure, but he's still got plenty of room to improve.