Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I'd break this law in a second out of spite.......

.... then in court, I'd demand them to pay my heating/electric bill........

Liberal City Enacts Anti-Pollution Order - You Can No Longer Burn a Wood Fire to Stay Warm

The leftists running San Francisco don’t want to merely throw their citizens back to the Middle Ages with their new “air quality” rules, they want to throw them back to before the Stone Age by banning the burning of wood to warm houses.

https://www.westernjournal.com/liberal-c...MNJQBlT5_w
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So.. Do what comes naturally then.

Amirite?

[Image: 50034539213-438afc4370-b.jpg]

Cause ya know, that's acceptable in Commiefornia
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(12-24-2022, 02:21 PM)The Drifter Wrote: .... then in court, I'd demand them to pay my heating/electric bill........

Liberal City Enacts Anti-Pollution Order - You Can No Longer Burn a Wood Fire to Stay Warm

The leftists running San Francisco don’t want to merely throw their citizens back to the Middle Ages with their new “air quality” rules, they want to throw them back to before the Stone Age by banning the burning of wood to warm houses.

https://www.westernjournal.com/liberal-c...MNJQBlT5_w

Pay your electric bill? That's probably what they're asking for, anyway, communist collectivized everything, right?

I wonder how many homes actually burn wood in the city?

I can understand this. Fairbanks, Alaska limits and/or bans wood and coal burning because of the heavy pollution which lingers above the city in the wintertime.

IIRC LA has banned wood fireplaces for decades.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2022, 03:28 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

A friend of mine lived in one of the -stans for a few years. They could burn as much wood as they wanted, but they didn't have good equipment for burning wood. And there wasn't much around.
They were planning to use an electric space heater. But those were banned suddenly their first year, because electricity is scarce. The authorities would spot check their house multiple times each winter and destroy any electric heating equipment they found. Rumor was you could bribe the right people and keep your space heater. But they didn't want to play the game that way.
Instead, everyone got a nearly free coal stove and a couple hundred pounds of very cheap coal at the beginning of each winter. If you could afford more, it didnt matter. You couldn't buy coal. Only the government had any to sell. And they'd only sell so much.
If you didn't want to be breathing in coal smoke all winter, tough. If you wanted electric, tough. If you wanted to buy a propane heater, tough. The propane ration was too small for anything but cooking. Your choices were coal stove or using a yak carcass as a blanket.
All of this was driven by currency and foreign exchange. Buying electricity or propane from a neighboring country was liable to create runaway inflation.
Moral of the story is be grateful for what you have. Our government gives us lots of choices, and the government itself has many choices.

The government shouldn't tell me how to heat my house.

They can [BLEEP] off tbh. I have lived with my young daughter in a house before that we needed to use wood to heat us and I would be damned if I would let my child get cold; lock my [BLEEP] up. Is California though so doesn't surprise me.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(12-24-2022, 03:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: A friend of mine lived in one of the -stans for a few years.  They could burn as much wood as they wanted, but they didn't have good equipment for burning wood.  And there wasn't much around.
They were planning to use an electric space heater.  But those were banned suddenly their first year, because electricity is scarce.  The authorities would spot check their house multiple times each winter and destroy any electric heating equipment they found.  Rumor was you could bribe the right people and keep your space heater. But they didn't want to play the game that way.
Instead, everyone got a nearly free coal stove and a couple hundred pounds of very cheap coal at the beginning of each winter.  If you could afford more, it didnt matter.  You couldn't buy coal.  Only the government had any to sell. And they'd only sell so much.
If you didn't want to be breathing in coal smoke all winter, tough. If you wanted electric, tough. If you wanted to buy a propane heater, tough.  The propane ration was too small for anything but cooking.  Your choices were coal stove or using a yak carcass as a blanket.
All of this was driven by currency and foreign exchange.  Buying electricity or propane from a neighboring country was liable to create runaway inflation.
Moral of the story is be grateful for what you have.  Our government gives us lots of choices, and the government itself has many choices.

“You’ll have nothing and be happy”.  Glad to know where you stand.

(12-24-2022, 08:39 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-24-2022, 03:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: A friend of mine lived in one of the -stans for a few years.  They could burn as much wood as they wanted, but they didn't have good equipment for burning wood.  And there wasn't much around.
They were planning to use an electric space heater.  But those were banned suddenly their first year, because electricity is scarce.  The authorities would spot check their house multiple times each winter and destroy any electric heating equipment they found.  Rumor was you could bribe the right people and keep your space heater. But they didn't want to play the game that way.
Instead, everyone got a nearly free coal stove and a couple hundred pounds of very cheap coal at the beginning of each winter.  If you could afford more, it didnt matter.  You couldn't buy coal.  Only the government had any to sell. And they'd only sell so much.
If you didn't want to be breathing in coal smoke all winter, tough. If you wanted electric, tough. If you wanted to buy a propane heater, tough.  The propane ration was too small for anything but cooking.  Your choices were coal stove or using a yak carcass as a blanket.
All of this was driven by currency and foreign exchange.  Buying electricity or propane from a neighboring country was liable to create runaway inflation.
Moral of the story is be grateful for what you have.  Our government gives us lots of choices, and the government itself has many choices.

“You’ll have nothing and be happy”.  Glad to know where you stand.

Oh no.  Not what I mean at all.  I still think all of us should fight to keep what we have.  I just don't think many of us realize how much we have, compared to others.

You absolutely don't think people should fight for what we have. Ballot harvesting is a great example. Puberty blocking hormones is another. I could go on, but those popped into my head as soon as I read the latest example of your obliviousness.

(12-24-2022, 11:42 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: You absolutely don't think people should fight for what we have. Ballot harvesting is a great example. Puberty blocking hormones is another. I could go on, but those popped into my head as soon as I read the latest example of your obliviousness.

How are you fighting?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2Fimage...ipo=images]

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2022, 06:32 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-24-2022, 05:28 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The government shouldn't tell me how to heat my house.

Your freedom should only extend until it infringes on the other person's freedom.  That is the purpose of having laws in a civilized society.  If you are polluting the air, you are infringing on other people's freedom to breathe clean air.  At least, that's the idea.

And that's why we have to call he-shes by their proper pronouns...

(12-25-2022, 06:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-24-2022, 05:28 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The government shouldn't tell me how to heat my house.

Your freedom should only extend until it infringes on the other person's freedom.  That is the purpose of having laws in a civilized society.  If you are polluting the air, you are infringing on other people's freedom to breathe clean air.  At least, that's the idea.

So if using a wood stove is the only way I can afford to heat my house you're telling me I'm wrong? 

Then as the old saying goes, "if I'm wrong I don't want to be right!" Lol

(12-25-2022, 09:55 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 06:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Your freedom should only extend until it infringes on the other person's freedom.  That is the purpose of having laws in a civilized society.  If you are polluting the air, you are infringing on other people's freedom to breathe clean air.  At least, that's the idea.

So if using a wood stove is the only way I can afford to heat my house you're telling me I'm wrong? 

One person's right to not freeze to death trumps their neighbors' rights to not breathe smog.
The only reason places like LA or SF can or should ban wood burning is because they have made multiple other heating options affordable.
Out in Africa or Haiti wood remains the only affordable option.  You don't see bans there.

The way I see it, they're letting their constitutes defecate in the streets, then using wood to keep warm is the least of their worries.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2022, 03:24 PM by americus 2.0.)

(12-25-2022, 01:27 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 09:55 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So if using a wood stove is the only way I can afford to heat my house you're telling me I'm wrong? 

One person's right to not freeze to death trumps their neighbors' rights to not breathe smog.
The only reason places like LA or SF can or should ban wood burning is because they have made multiple other heating options affordable.
Out in Africa or Haiti wood remains the only affordable option.  You don't see bans there.

Affordable is subjective. What's affordable to a single person, or a couple is not necessarily affordable to a family of 5.

We had a wood stove and electric heat in my house growing up and we had to supplement the electric heat with the wood stove. We knew people who had land and we were allowed to go take any dead or dying trees we needed for free. We went out with a chainsaw, the pickup truck and trailer in the spring and took what we needed and cut it all down to stove-sized pieces throughout the summer and fall. Which sucked by the way. No kid wants to cut and stack firewood in July when it's 200 degrees outside. Lol. But come winter time we were warm and thankful.

(12-25-2022, 01:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The way I see it, they're letting their constitutes defecate in the streets, then using wood to keep warm is the least of their worries.

That's the truth.