Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I'd break this law in a second out of spite.......

(12-24-2022, 02:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So.. Do what comes naturally then.

Amirite?

[Image: 50034539213-438afc4370-b.jpg]

Cause ya know, that's acceptable in Commiefornia
Am I the only one shocked that picture actually came from toronto rather than san fran or seattle. I thought canadians were nice?

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2022, 01:55 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-24-2022, 02:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So.. Do what comes naturally then.

Amirite?

[Image: 50034539213-438afc4370-b.jpg]

Cause ya know, that's acceptable in Commiefornia

LOL,+1

(12-25-2022, 01:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The way I see it, they're letting their constitutes defecate in the streets, then using wood to keep warm is the least of their worries.

Collect and burn the defecation. Solves at least 1 problem.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

After living through a weekend of insanely low temperatures and seeing how much a heat pump doesn't work well in those situations we're looking into something we can use to supplement our electric heat. Seriously, heat pumps don't work well when it doesn't get above freezing for highs and lows are in the lower teens. I don't care if our neighbors or local government don't approve. We don't need their approval anyway. 

When it gets this cold it is life threatening and people need to be able to use what they can afford or, as in our case, supplement a system that wasn't built for these temperatures. Tonight it will get down to 18. Tomorrow night is our last night below freezing for about a week. It really does suck to hear the thing run all night but it's not really heating your house much.

(12-27-2022, 05:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: After living through a weekend of insanely low temperatures and seeing how much a heat pump doesn't work well in those situations we're looking into something we can use to supplement our electric heat. Seriously, heat pumps don't work well when it doesn't get above freezing for highs and lows are in the lower teens. I don't care if our neighbors or local government don't approve. We don't need their approval anyway. 

When it gets this cold it is life threatening and people need to be able to use what they can afford or, as in our case, supplement a system that wasn't built for these temperatures. Tonight it will get down to 18. Tomorrow night is our last night below freezing for about a week. It really does suck to hear the thing run all night but it's not really heating your house much.

Heat pumps are basically useless once the air temp is below 40. In Florida a small resistance heater is fine as a supplement for the rare freezing day.  In NC you'd want some sort of furnace or fireplace as a backup.  Maybe a space heater. 
But that heat pump will be back to kicking butt and saving you big bucks once the air temp is back above 40.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-27-2022, 11:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 05:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: After living through a weekend of insanely low temperatures and seeing how much a heat pump doesn't work well in those situations we're looking into something we can use to supplement our electric heat. Seriously, heat pumps don't work well when it doesn't get above freezing for highs and lows are in the lower teens. I don't care if our neighbors or local government don't approve. We don't need their approval anyway. 

Heat pumps are basically useless once the air temp is below 40. In Florida a small resistance heater is fine as a supplement for the rare freezing day.  In NC you'd want some sort of furnace or fireplace as a backup.  Maybe a space heater. 
But that heat pump will be back to kicking butt and saving you big bucks once the air temp is back above 40.

Not true.  Our heat pump maintains a comfortable 68 degrees in our home with outside temps in the low 20's.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-28-2022, 08:41 AM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 11:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: Heat pumps are basically useless once the air temp is below 40. In Florida a small resistance heater is fine as a supplement for the rare freezing day.  In NC you'd want some sort of furnace or fireplace as a backup.  Maybe a space heater. 

Not true.  Our heat pump maintains a comfortable 68 degrees in our home with outside temps in the low 20's.

Ours is working well too.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2022, 10:23 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-27-2022, 11:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:

(12-27-2022, 11:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: Heat pumps are basically useless once the air temp is below 40. In Florida a small resistance heater is fine as a supplement for the rare freezing day.  In NC you'd want some sort of furnace or fireplace as a backup.  Maybe a space heater. 

(12-28-2022, 10:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 08:41 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: Not true.  Our heat pump maintains a comfortable 68 degrees in our home with outside temps in the low 20's.

Ours is working well too.

Heat pumps are always about temperature differences, and what you're willing to put up with. Most of them can raise or lower temperature (compared with the air temperature outside) by 50-60F when working correctly. So if you're in an area where the outside temperature is 20F then they should be able to raise your inside temperature to something comfortable. Of course that assumes your system is working well, your home is sufficiently insulated, and you're satisfied with 70-80F. If your home has [BLEEP] sealing and insulation then a heat pump outputting 70-80F air may not be enough to keep you warm, especially if you're like a lot of weirdos I know that keep their AC at 65F in the summer and their heater at 85F in the winter.

In the US heat pumps are customarily installed with a resistance heating coil in the air handler.  If your air handler is on a 2 pole or 240V breaker, that's why.  The whole thing is sold as a package without explanation of the components.  I would be very surprised if your home did not have this.
Below 40F, the heat pump starts moving much less heat, even though the home needs more.  Below 25F, it moves no heat at all.  Below 32F, there is the possibility of icing over the coils, if the air is humid, which usually makes the thing shut down
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-28-2022, 01:05 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 08:41 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: Not true.  Our heat pump maintains a comfortable 68 degrees in our home with outside temps in the low 20's.

In the US heat pumps are customarily installed with a resistance heating coil in the air handler.  If your air handler is on a 2 pole or 240V breaker, that's why.  The whole thing is sold as a package without explanation of the components.  I would be very surprised if your home did not have this.
Below 40F, the heat pump starts moving much less heat, even though the home needs more.  Below 25F, it moves no heat at all.  Below 32F, there is the possibility of icing over the coils, if the air is humid, which usually makes the thing shut down

The resistive heating coils are called Emergency Heat and will show on the thermostat if energized. At least on my system. I haven't seen it, so far. I'm truly curious how low the temperature has to be outside before it kicks on. However, I don't go crazy with the thermostat. It gets set to 65 at night and bumped up to 68 or 69 in the morning.

Once again misinformation.

To the first point in bold.  I have never seen an A/C system on a house that doesn't run on 240V.  Much the same with a clothes dryer, water heater or an oven/range in the kitchen.  Two phase, 240VAC draws less current and is much more efficient.

To your second false statement, modern heat pumps are used in temperatures a lot colder than we experience.  Over the last few days our outside air temperature was below 30 by 8PM and was in the low 20's overnight into the next morning.  Daytime highs never got much over 40.  Our heat pump kept our home warm enough (to my set point of 65 at night) and warmed the house up in the morning when I bump the thermostat up to around 70.  After we wash up/shower/get dressed I drop it down to 68 where it runs on occasion.

The "emergency heat" coils never kicked on (honestly I don't even know if our unit has them installed).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-28-2022, 01:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 01:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: In the US heat pumps are customarily installed with a resistance heating coil in the air handler.  If your air handler is on a 2 pole or 240V breaker, that's why.  The whole thing is sold as a package without explanation of the components.  I would be very surprised if your home did not have this.

The resistive heating coils are called Emergency Heat and will show on the thermostat if energized. At least on my system. I haven't seen it, so far. I'm truly curious how low the temperature has to be outside before it kicks on. However, I don't go crazy with the thermostat. It gets set to 65 at night and bumped up to 68 or 69 in the morning.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the "emergency heat" coils won't turn on unless there is a large swing/demand from the unit.  Say your thermostat says that it's 60 and you ask it for 75.

Actually, I have a harem of nubile women to keep me warm.

Until I wake up. Then I turn up the thermostat. (sigh)

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2022, 05:50 PM by americus 2.0.)

Our heat pump is about 30 years old and works fantastically when the temps are above about 40°. Anything below that for a sustained period of time is when it's a problem. We keep the thermostat at around 63° during the day (60 overnight) and the sun helps keep things warm. About 65-67. 

We had lows from 10-18° starting Thursday and never got above freezing for highs until yesterday. It was also overcast so we had no sunshine to help warm us up. The heat strips, we call them the Blue Light Special, came on often in the morning hours. 

The money we thought we saved during the four day power outage got totally nullified by the five day frigid snap we just had. I'm 99.9% sure the heat pump is not as efficient as newer ones but it does well as long as we don't have crazy cold temps like we just had. My hat's off to Trane. They built a beast that has survived 30 years of rain, hurricanes, freezing rain, ice storms, snow, frigid air, extremely hot and humid days, etc.

(12-28-2022, 03:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 01:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The resistive heating coils are called Emergency Heat and will show on the thermostat if energized. At least on my system. I haven't seen it, so far. I'm truly curious how low the temperature has to be outside before it kicks on. However, I don't go crazy with the thermostat. It gets set to 65 at night and bumped up to 68 or 69 in the morning.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the "emergency heat" coils won't turn on unless there is a large swing/demand from the unit.  Say your thermostat says that it's 60 and you ask it for 75.

Ours turns on when the unit is no longer putting out warm air, or when we bump it up a hair. It's not digital so it's easy to bump to too much. I've asked hubby several times to put up a digital thermostat but he doesn't see the point. *sigh*

All correct.  Once the heat pump shuts down, resistance strip heat coils in your air handler take over.  There are also mechanisms that defrost the heat diffuser (coils) on your heat pump if it ices over.  On my system, when the system auto-sets to heat, at a particular setting, the air handler resistance heat strips come on immediately until the heat pump spins up and takes over the heating load.  This may only occur with variable speed heat pumps.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(12-28-2022, 06:06 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 01:05 PM)mikesez Wrote: In the US heat pumps are customarily installed with a resistance heating coil in the air handler.  If your air handler is on a 2 pole or 240V breaker, that's why.  The whole thing is sold as a package without explanation of the components.  I would be very surprised if your home did not have this.

All correct.  Once the heat pump shuts down, resistance strip heat coils in your air handler take over.  There are also mechanisms that defrost the heat diffuser (coils) on your heat pump if it ices over.  On my system, when the system auto-sets to heat, at a particular setting, the air handler resistance heat strips come on immediately until the heat pump spins up and takes over the heating load.  This may only occur with variable speed heat pumps.

This may explain the difference between my old system as compared to the newer one. My old system kicked on the heat almost immediately. The newer one takes a while to begin kicking out warm air. 

I'm learning new stuff all the time.

(12-28-2022, 03:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I could be wrong, but I believe that the "emergency heat" coils won't turn on unless there is a large swing/demand from the unit.  Say your thermostat says that it's 60 and you ask it for 75.

This is correct. It will start using lots of electricity whenever you raise it too high or the temperature drops too low. Most new thermostats don't even have it, old ones it's generally just a jumper so it can power it if needed.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2022, 09:21 PM by Jags.)

Those keeping the “heat” at 65-68 are insane. I can’t be the only one needing 73!!! I mean we’re in FLORIDA!

Also, with the heat pumps, temps and humidity… how often do we get that cold and have the humidity?

(12-28-2022, 09:19 PM)Jags Wrote: Those keeping the “heat” at 65-68 are insane.  I can’t be the only one needing 73!!! I mean we’re in FLORIDA!

Also, with the heat pumps, temps and humidity… how often do we get that cold and have the humidity?

72-73 here..

I lived up in New England for a good handful of years.. Not trying to relive the horror.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(12-28-2022, 09:27 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 09:19 PM)Jags Wrote: Those keeping the “heat” at 65-68 are insane.  I can’t be the only one needing 73!!! I mean we’re in FLORIDA!

72-73 here..

I lived up in New England for a good handful of years.. Not trying to relive the horror.
Philly and unfortunately Chicago, here.  Not looking back.  They can keep it.

(12-28-2022, 09:34 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 09:27 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: 72-73 here..

Philly and unfortunately Chicago, here.  Not looking back.  They can keep it.

Always wanted to go to Soldier Field.. I was a Bears fan for a long time before we got The Jags. Got to see Walter Peyton and Jim McMahon play down in Miami once. Bears lost.. That was the only loss The Bears had that year. 1985..

I think I made my then favorite team lose by attending..

Glad I didn't go to The Super Bowl lolol
[Image: SaKG4.gif]