Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Is it..
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Clots
Tennessee Titans
Jacksonville Jaguars
[Show Results]

Which team will be 2017 AFC South champs in 2017 pre-draft edition..

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2017, 10:21 PM by HERO OF THE DAY.)

I got the Jags man gotta go with em especially now that coughlins back..

If u look at our talent and depth compared to other AFC south teams its almost laughable..

Teams getting stacked Texans no QB Tennessee average and Colts are just Clots..

Not to mention we could be still getting Leonard Fournette.. This team is loaded at every position this year..

U can clearly see the depth when u look at the depth chart..

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I got the Jags man gotta go with em especially now that coughlins back..

If u look at our talent and depth compared to other AFC south teams its almost laughable..

Teams getting stacked Texans no QB Tennessee average and Colts are just Clots..

Not to mention we could be still getting Leonard Fournette.. This team is loaded at every position this year..

U can clearly see the depth when u look at the depth chart..
Ahhhhhh......

The annual post.

22 years and counting.

As much as I hate it, I think its the tacks. The Texans, unless Savage turns out to be way better than expected AND manages to stay healthy, won't get away with just having the best D anymore and winning the division. That plan just doesn't work most years in the NFL.

Guess this account is the one now? Rip HR86 2010-2017.

Right now it's the tacks. Mariota is a good QB. They have the ground game going for them. They need to shore up their defense and get him some more passing threats and with the 5th and 18th overall selections to play with next Thursday they could very well end up accomplishing that. 

I see them taking Lattimore 5th overall at CB to help their secondary out and then I could see them taking a WR like John Ross or Mike Williams at 18th overal. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Ahhhhhh......

The annual post.

22 years and counting.

Yuuuuup.

Was going to post the same thing, lol.

Quote:As much as I hate it, I think its the tacks. The Texans, unless Savage turns out to be way better than expected AND manages to stay healthy, won't get away with just having the best D anymore and winning the division. That plan just doesn't work most years in the NFL.

Yep, they seem to be the most complete, stable team.

Which is sad, given no team in the division has risen above and "taken" the title for years.

It's been a story of who is least bad, not who is "best."  Our "best" isn't competitive in the playoffs.  In other divisions, they wouldn't even make it.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

4 average or below average teams. Hmmm coin flip

Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

Quote:Right now it's the tacks. Mariota is a good QB. They have the ground game going for them.

I thought highly of Mariota before the draft. But since he's been in Tennessee... eh. 

He doesn't look very good when he's playing a team that can stop the run. Go back & look at their rushing stats from last year. When the team ran well, he played well. When they didn't.. he didn't. & that's generally expected from a young guy. 

However, we're pretty good at stopping the run. If your defense improves in that area, that's 4 games a year that he's going to have to do something he hasn't yet. 

If we sweep them, if you sweep them, that's a 4 game deficit in division. I don't see the Titans winning the division. 

ImATexan

Quote:I thought highly of Mariota before the draft. But since he's been in Tennessee... eh. 

He doesn't look very good when he's playing a team that can stop the run. Go back & look at their rushing stats from last year. When the team ran well, he played well. When they didn't.. he didn't. & that's generally expected from a young guy. 

However, we're pretty good at stopping the run. If your defense improves in that area, that's 4 games a year that he's going to have to do something he hasn't yet. 

If we sweep them, if you sweep them, that's a 4 game deficit in division. I don't see the Titans winning the division. 

Sounds like my thoughts on Mariota. To me he looks a lot like David Garrard of 2007. Looks great when the team around him is playing great, but looked like hot garbage against the Jaguars in December last year before he got his leg broken.

As an aside, the fact that he's not made it through a single NFL season without a major leg injury should be a major flag for the guy. It's not like he had these injuries on guys diving into his knee, he's gotten his injuries on really run of the mill kinds of plays, which reinforces what a lot of us here thought about him coming out of college. Doesn't have an NFL body that can take even the small amount of punishment he got behind one of the better offensive lines in the NFL last year.

Pre draft/preseason I'll go with Houston again. While I don't think they're necessary the "best" team in the division, much like I don't think we're the "worst" I want to see them play a little before I change up who wins here.

Too many variables to say right now:

New Jax staff/Bortles

Houston QB situation

Tennessee WR/Secondary

Indy New GM/Luck Shoulder

I'll re-visit after week 3 of preseason

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2017, 03:51 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

Titans

Colts

Texans

Jaguars 

Tennessee is the best overall team on paper, and probably have the best QB in the division  if Luck continues to get hurt/can't recover. 

Indy is a close 2 or even 1st again if Luck can get his act back together, otherwise they may challenge for last place with us

Texans have the same problem as before, no QB and the defense is getting older, how much longer can they carry that team?

Based on the 2016 Bortles being Bortles, BecauseJaguars, our offensive line and RBs still suck. I just don't see where we are going to score points with a lame duck "project" QB, an aging RB and a bust behind him, and 1 good O lineman. Our only hope is our defense goes full on Houston Texans mode and dominates while our offense barely does enough to beat teams. I fear another long season in store for us Jags fans. Maybe we get lucky and Blake goes off and we somehow have a run game. Hope we draft a RB in round 1 or 2. 

Think the division is the Texans to lose. If they get decent QB play, they could go deep in the playoffs.

This is going to be an interesting year. The AFC South had 3 teams with an even or winning record last year. I think the division is on the rise.

- The Jaguars had a very good defense last year. The year prior, they had a very good offense. If they could pull it all together, they actually have a good shot at winning the AFC South. (This coming from a Colts fan). As jaguar fans already know, there is a lot riding on Bortles' shoulders this year. It's a make or break season for him as he is the most pivotal cog in the system.

-The Titans finished the season at 9-7 and showed that they were willing to place emphasis on the trenches. They shored up their O-line and run game, and I anticipate that they will improve their passing offense and passing defense, making them a well-rounded team. If Mariota can stay healthy and continue to develop, the Titans (if not already) can become a formidable team. They are definitely in contention for the AFC South title.

-The Colts finished the season with an 8-8 record, boasting the 30th ranked defense. The defense had progressively gotten worse every year under Grigson, yet, the Colts have never had a losing season under Pagano. With the AFC South teams improving and the defense still in-flux, the Colts will once again boast the worst defense in the division. The Colts offense was hit-or-miss as they dealt with injuries all along the O-line and their receiving corps. This season depends on how well the defense performs and more importantly, how well Luck's shoulder heals and holds up during the season.

- The Texans are the reigning AFC South Champions. Last year, the team showed how good their defense really was, finishing among the best in the league even without their best player, JJ Watt, for most of the season. Watt is expected to be healthy this upcoming season, however, the Texans lost starters and role players along their defense. I still expect the defense to be the strength of the team. Without a franchise QB, I expect the Texans to take the Titans approach and focus on the run while controlling passing situations. The Texans will be a good team, however, not as god as they were this past season.

This is how I predict the final outcome:

1. Titans

2. Colts

3. Texans

4. Jaguars

Quote:This is going to be an interesting year. The AFC South had 3 teams with an even or winning record last year. I think the division is on the rise.

[...]

- The Texans are the reigning AFC South Champions. Last year, the team showed how good their defense really was, finishing among the best in the league even without their best player, JJ Watt, for most of the season. Watt is expected to be healthy this upcoming season, however, the Texans lost starters and role players along their defense. I still expect the defense to be the strength of the team. Without a franchise QB, I expect the Texans to take the Titans approach and focus on the run while controlling passing situations. The Texans will be a good team, however, not as god as they were this past season.

This is how I predict the final outcome:

1. Titans

2. Colts

3. Texans

4. Jaguars

Other than bit players, the only noteworthy loss was CB Bouye.  The one notable gain is JJ Watt.  +JJ Watt > -Bouye

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2017, 02:02 PM by Flash7.)

Quote:Other than bit players, the only noteworthy loss was CB Bouye.  The one notable gain is JJ Watt.  +JJ Watt > -Bouye
The Texans lost their starting nose tackle (Wilfork) to retirement, and also Quentin Demps through FA. Further, they lost good role players (John Simon) as well as others. My argument isn't that the defense will not be good, (they are getting JJ Watt back -- they will be good). I feel that the defense will be a strength for the team but handicapped by a lack of a franchise QB.

I ranked the Texans 3rd in the AFCS because I feel the other teams are improving (not because I feel that the Texans getting worse on defense, but may end the season with a worse record).

Pffft. Jags will be AFC South champs. Bank on it.

Really, I mean place the bets now..........................RIGHT NOW DAMMIT!!!

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Pffft. Jags will be AFC South champs. Bank on it.

Really, I mean place the bets now..........................RIGHT NOW DAMMIT!!!

"annual post" or something...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Mwahaahaahaa!!! 

Post 1st round I still think its Tacks. I liked the Colts draft pick and even tho its terrible value, Fournette will probably help the Jags. The Texans OTH, I am not certain their draft has really helped them (at least not this year). I guess Watson could have a Prescott kind of year, but I don't see it.

Guess this account is the one now? Rip HR86 2010-2017.

Quote:Post 1st round I still think its Tacks. I liked the Colts draft pick and even tho its terrible value, Fournette will probably help the Jags. The Texans OTH, I am not certain their draft has really helped them (at least not this year). I guess Watson could have a Prescott kind of year, but I don't see it.
The thing is houston has two really good receivers and miller.  So not like thrown in wolves. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags