Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Car Help

Hey friends,

I am in the market for a new car and just wanted to get some opinions on what would be a good one to look at? I am currently driving a 2018 Kia. It runs perfect and all that, but want something a bit bigger, preferably a truck, but will look at an SUV if find the right one. Needs to have towing capability if you will. I can drive a manual or automatic transmission; color, how good it is on gas, etc is not too big of a factor either.

Really like the look of the GMC models I have looked at, and a Toyota Tacoma I saw last week. Anyone have experience with those?

Thanks in advance Smile
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

How much weight do you plan to tow? Tacomas are nice, but you said you need it to be able to tow. You pulling a jet ski, a camper…?

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 11:25 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

I have a 2014 Tacoma and love it. It's a very solid vehicle and trouble free. Mine has the 4L V6 so the towing capacity is around 6000 lbs. I've only used it once for towing, but for general hauling and commuting it's a very useful truck.

I've had two Rangers, a Frontier, a Tacoma and currently drive a Silverado.  The only one that I've had any issues with whatsoever is the Frontier.  The issues that I had with that make up for all of the others.  I would have loved to park it in the dealer's lot and light it on fire.  I think I may still be involved in a class action lawsuit on that as it was a 'known issue'.  I'm sure I'll get a check for $12.50 some day.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-30-2022, 11:17 AM)Jags Wrote: How much weight do you plan to tow? Tacomas are nice, but you said you need it to be able to tow.  You pulling a jet ski, a camper…?

My Uncle is giving me a great deal on an Adam 6 x 14 Utility trailer he doesn't want anymore. I will just be using it for runs to the landfill, helping people move as a side gig, that kind of thing.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(12-30-2022, 05:32 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 11:17 AM)Jags Wrote: How much weight do you plan to tow? Tacomas are nice, but you said you need it to be able to tow.  You pulling a jet ski, a camper…?

My Uncle is giving me a great deal on an Adam 6 x 14 Utility trailer he doesn't want anymore. I will just be using it for runs to the landfill, helping people move as a side gig, that kind of thing.

Welp, just my .02 but, I think you really have to (if you haven’t yet) decide how much of that you’re going to do.  Often times a side gig goes well and you want to take it further.  Is this something that could lead to a possible career change? Do you plan on buying a boat or camper in the future ? let’s say it’s a single axle trailer and weighs about 750 give or take.  The trailer weight itself counts as the weight being towed.  It would not be inconceivable to load it down pretty good hauling “junk”.   A single axle like that safely fully loaded would be weighing in no more than….3500lbs. Hence the 3500lb axle name.  This is a 101 lesson I’m sure others can be more precise and explain things better or even correct me if I lied.  That being said, Tacos are great trucks as others have  vouched for. Moving couches or appliances for someone wouldn’t be an issue.  However, like HB said, it’ll have a tow capacity around 3000lbs.  Same as other trucks in that class, ranger/frontier etc.  if you want to haul “junk” or moving loads consistently, you’d be maxing it out and eventually tear up the transmission.  If you want wiggle room, a full sized truck would be better suited for that. Upgrading a truck will be way more expensive than upgrading other things.  Plus factor in the family/kids situation if you have any of those.  No one wants to hear a kid [BLEEP] on a long cramped ride.  Idk your budget, but I’ve been to the dealerships recently looking to possibly trade in one of my trucks.  They are super proud of their trucks these days.  

TL:dr buy once cry once After learning what all you need the truck to do.

(12-30-2022, 06:42 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 05:32 PM)Butters Wrote: My Uncle is giving me a great deal on an Adam 6 x 14 Utility trailer he doesn't want anymore. I will just be using it for runs to the landfill, helping people move as a side gig, that kind of thing.

Welp, just my .02 but, I think you really have to (if you haven’t yet) decide how much of that you’re going to do.  Often times a side gig goes well and you want to take it further.  Is this something that could lead to a possible career change? Do you plan on buying a boat or camper in the future ? let’s say it’s a single axle trailer and weighs about 750 give or take.  The trailer weight itself counts as the weight being towed.  It would not be inconceivable to load it down pretty good hauling “junk”.   A single axle like that safely fully loaded would be weighing in no more than….3500lbs. Hence the 3500lb axle name.  This is a 101 lesson I’m sure others can be more precise and explain things better or even correct me if I lied.  That being said, Tacos are great trucks as others have  vouched for. Moving couches or appliances for someone wouldn’t be an issue.  However, like HB said, it’ll have a tow capacity around 3000lbs.  Same as other trucks in that class, ranger/frontier etc.  if you want to haul “junk” or moving loads consistently, you’d be maxing it out and eventually tear up the transmission.  If you want wiggle room, a full sized truck would be better suited for that. Upgrading a truck will be way more expensive than upgrading other things.  Plus factor in the family/kids situation if you have any of those.  No one wants to hear a kid [BLEEP] on a long cramped ride.  Idk your budget, but I’ve been to the dealerships recently looking to possibly trade in one of my trucks.  They are super proud of their trucks these days.  

Thanks for you input and suggestions friend. Not really in the market for a career change if you will, love being a teacher. But yes, I have been doing some thinking and do think a bigger size truck is the way to go. Have always wanted to purchase a boat, so might as well get something that could handle that down the road; not really a camper/rv type of person. I'm a teacher so my budget could be better lol smh, but do have decent credit and can/willing to pay 500 plus a month if its nice enough. Though yeah I know truck prices right now are ridiculous.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(12-30-2022, 06:52 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 06:42 PM)Jags Wrote: Welp, just my .02 but, I think you really have to (if you haven’t yet) decide how much of that you’re going to do.  Often times a side gig goes well and you want to take it further.  Is this something that could lead to a possible career change? Do you plan on buying a boat or camper in the future ? let’s say it’s a single axle trailer and weighs about 750 give or take.  The trailer weight itself counts as the weight being towed.  It would not be inconceivable to load it down pretty good hauling “junk”.   A single axle like that safely fully loaded would be weighing in no more than….3500lbs. Hence the 3500lb axle name.  This is a 101 lesson I’m sure others can be more precise and explain things better or even correct me if I lied.  That being said, Tacos are great trucks as others have  vouched for. Moving couches or appliances for someone wouldn’t be an issue.  However, like HB said, it’ll have a tow capacity around 3000lbs.  Same as other trucks in that class, ranger/frontier etc.  if you want to haul “junk” or moving loads consistently, you’d be maxing it out and eventually tear up the transmission.  If you want wiggle room, a full sized truck would be better suited for that. Upgrading a truck will be way more expensive than upgrading other things.  Plus factor in the family/kids situation if you have any of those.  No one wants to hear a kid [BLEEP] on a long cramped ride.  Idk your budget, but I’ve been to the dealerships recently looking to possibly trade in one of my trucks.  They are super proud of their trucks these days.  

Thanks for you input and suggestions friend. Not really in the market for a career change if you will, love being a teacher. But yes, I have been doing some thinking and do think a bigger size truck is the way to go. Have always wanted to purchase a boat, so might as well get something that could handle that down the road; not really a camper/rv type of person. I'm a teacher so my budget could be better lol smh, but do have decent credit and can/willing to pay 500 plus a month if its nice enough. Though yeah I know truck prices right now are ridiculous.

Good luck on the shopping.  It’s fun/nerve wracking (or is it racking?, idk you’re the teacher. You tell me) all at the same time.  Just remember a 1500 won’t pull the Kismet.

(12-30-2022, 10:55 AM)Butters Wrote: Hey friends,

I am in the market for a new car and just wanted to get some opinions on what would be a good one to look at? I am currently driving a 2018 Kia. It runs perfect and all that, but want something a bit bigger, preferably a truck, but will look at an SUV if find the right one. Needs to have towing capability if you will. I can drive a manual or automatic transmission; color, how good it is on gas, etc is not too big of a factor either.

Really like the look of the GMC models I have looked at, and a Toyota Tacoma I saw last week. Anyone have experience with those?

Thanks in advance Smile

The main thing I'd say is steer away from Ram trucks. I do own one sadly, so fair warning.

If you want a good driving SUV that gets good reviews, check out a Mazda CX-5. I test drove a 2020 although never owned one, they are pretty nice for what they are. I rented a Chevy Equinox which I actually thought handled great and was composed and quiet but the reviewers don't tend to give that one good marks for whatever reason. The prices are hard to beat.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 07:17 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-30-2022, 07:13 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 10:55 AM)Butters Wrote: Hey friends,

Thanks in advance Smile

The main thing I'd say is steer away from Ram trucks. I do own one sadly, so fair warning.

If you want a good driving SUV that gets good reviews, check out a Mazda CX-5. I test drove a 2020 although never owned one, they are pretty nice for what they are. I rented a Chevy Equinox which I actually thought handled great and was composed and quiet but the reviewers don't tend to give that one good marks for whatever reason. The prices are hard to beat.

What year is your Ram? What issues?  I’m serious , as I’ve thought about switching from Ford. And am I allowed to post the Amari King video? It has language.

If I can’t, delete this.  Please/thanks Smile[url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZg9f9a1ip8][/url]

(12-30-2022, 07:17 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 07:13 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The main thing I'd say is steer away from Ram trucks. I do own one sadly, so fair warning.

What year is your Ram? What issues?  I’m serious , as I’ve thought about switching from Ford. And am I allowed to post the Amari King video? It has language.

2017 3/4 ton. It's had a few recalls but recently had the ABS unit go out (which apparently a majority of them have happen between 10K and 30K miles) which can occasionally lead to brake failure. You have to pay for the repair which is about a grand but the parts are back ordered for a few months. The NHTSA has an investigation going. Do a search for "2017 Ram 2500 brake failures". There's also been some issues with steering failures.

Personally since I'm a multi-care household, I can let the Ram sit for a while. ;-)
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-30-2022, 07:27 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 07:17 PM)Jags Wrote: What year is your Ram? What issues?  I’m serious , as I’ve thought about switching from Ford. And am I allowed to post the Amari King video? It has language.

2017 3/4 ton. It's had a few recalls but recently had the ABS unit go out (which apparently a majority of them have happen between 10K and 30K miles) which can occasionally lead to brake failure. You have to pay for the repair which is about a grand but the parts are back ordered for a few months. The NHTSA has an investigation going. Do a search for "2017 Ram 2500 brake failures". There's also been some issues with steering failures.

Personally since I'm a multi-care household, I can let the Ram sit for a while. ;-)

I’ve been talking up my Fords for a long time now.  Have had a tundra, Silverado and 5 F-150’s.  The Fords have been throughout my life with 3 being either recent or still in my possession.  The ‘17 and ‘19 seem to be having various issues.   Conveniently just past warranty.  The 2021 only has 11k miles.  It’s holding up.  I bought the ‘19 because of how awesome my ‘17 was.  Then go figure.  At 60000 miles I had a 1000.00 repair on an oil line from one of the turbos.  Ty e ‘17 now has 63000 miles and I’m having transmission issues.  I don’t use it for work.  I have… but it’s not like I hauled too much and screwed it up.  It’s like when I bought the ‘21 the other two said screw you.  I’m now concerned about Ford. They quit making many cars to dedicate themselves to being the number one truck manufacturer. But these repairs have me questioning that.

(12-30-2022, 06:52 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 06:42 PM)Jags Wrote: Welp, just my .02 but, I think you really have to (if you haven’t yet) decide how much of that you’re going to do.  Often times a side gig goes well and you want to take it further.  Is this something that could lead to a possible career change? Do you plan on buying a boat or camper in the future ? let’s say it’s a single axle trailer and weighs about 750 give or take.  The trailer weight itself counts as the weight being towed.  It would not be inconceivable to load it down pretty good hauling “junk”.   A single axle like that safely fully loaded would be weighing in no more than….3500lbs. Hence the 3500lb axle name.  This is a 101 lesson I’m sure others can be more precise and explain things better or even correct me if I lied.  That being said, Tacos are great trucks as others have  vouched for. Moving couches or appliances for someone wouldn’t be an issue.  However, like HB said, it’ll have a tow capacity around 3000lbs.  Same as other trucks in that class, ranger/frontier etc.  if you want to haul “junk” or moving loads consistently, you’d be maxing it out and eventually tear up the transmission.  If you want wiggle room, a full sized truck would be better suited for that. Upgrading a truck will be way more expensive than upgrading other things.  Plus factor in the family/kids situation if you have any of those.  No one wants to hear a kid [BLEEP] on a long cramped ride.  Idk your budget, but I’ve been to the dealerships recently looking to possibly trade in one of my trucks.  They are super proud of their trucks these days.  

Teacher gang rep!

For clarification, 4 cylinder Tacomas tow around 3000. V6 Tacomas can tow 6500.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2022, 08:30 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-30-2022, 08:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: For clarification, 4 cylinder Tacomas tow around 3000. V6 Tacomas can tow 6500.

Really?   That’s getting close to the full size trucks.  Not including the 25 and 3500’s of the World.  That’s impressive.  The price tags on the tacos are still in the 50k range and more. I’m not trying to discourage him from anything.  You know me, I’ve been hard core Ford for a long time.  I honestly did not know that about the Tacomas.  They are very capable and reliable trucks.  But I still think he needs to [BLEEP] his needs before buying.  Hence my “buy once cry once” reference.  

I’ll add… I’m more impressed with the Tacoma of that is true.  (Not that I doubt you).  

Just for you HB.  My dad always told me the sky was the limit. Pretty sure that’s why NASA fired him.

“Uh-ses” * if I’m phonetically spelling the bleeped word.  I’m dumb.  Y’all already know that.

(12-30-2022, 07:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 06:52 PM)Butters Wrote: Thanks for you input and suggestions friend. Not really in the market for a career change if you will, love being a teacher. But yes, I have been doing some thinking and do think a bigger size truck is the way to go. Have always wanted to purchase a boat, so might as well get something that could handle that down the road; not really a camper/rv type of person. I'm a teacher so my budget could be better lol smh, but do have decent credit and can/willing to pay 500 plus a month if its nice enough. Though yeah I know truck prices right now are ridiculous.
Teacher gang rep!

Cool friend. What do you teach? I teach middle school EC in an adapted classroom.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(12-30-2022, 08:44 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 07:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Teacher gang rep!

Cool friend. What do you teach? I teach middle school EC in an adapted classroom.
Elementary PE in Maryland.

Pretty fun most days.

(12-30-2022, 08:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 08:44 PM)Butters Wrote: Cool friend. What do you teach? I teach middle school EC in an adapted classroom.
Elementary PE in Maryland.

Pretty fun most days.
Ok cool and yeah same here. My kids are great(Only have 8 in my classroom this year). All of them are on the spectrum somewhere so have to be patient with their lack of social skills and such but overall great kids. The main problem we have(Not with my kids) but the other middle schoolers in general is way too much PDA and vaping in the bathrooms.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(12-30-2022, 08:50 PM)Butters Wrote:
(12-30-2022, 08:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Elementary PE in Maryland.

Pretty fun most days.
Ok cool and yeah same here. My kids are great(Only have 8 in my classroom this year). All of them are on the spectrum somewhere so have to be patient with their lack of social skills and such but overall great kids. The main problem we have(Not with my kids) but the other middle schoolers in general is way too much PDA and vaping in the bathrooms.

Just for clarification, is it vaping and PDA in the bathrooms or PDA as well as vaping in the bathrooms?