Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell Discussion Thread (Terminated)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-08-2024, 08:11 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Does Wink leave not having a clue where he'll wind up?  I doubt it.  Hopefully it's to us.

This

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 12:03 AM by p_rushing.)

(01-08-2024, 10:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I feel bad for Caldwell and staff. They aren't incompetent. When the D was firing on all cylinders in the first half of the season, they were some of the best in the league. For some reason, they just couldn't maintain and fell flat in exactly the wrong game. Had we won the division and lost the first playoff game, they would still be employed. Caldwell will find a home somewhere else. Notwithstanding the last half of this season, he left a respectable body of work here. This was an opportunity for him to learn.
His defense is passive and not good enough to win without superior players. He's not getting another DC job without learning a different defense. Sitting back in zone works against bad QBs, not against the top and even average QBs now.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(01-08-2024, 11:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 08:11 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Does Wink leave not having a clue where he'll wind up?  I doubt it.  Hopefully it's to us.

This
How is this going to be possible? A coach can't resign and then take another job at the same level. Unless they way their rights because of the personal friction, a team will have to trade for him.

(01-09-2024, 12:00 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 10:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I feel bad for Caldwell and staff. They aren't incompetent. When the D was firing on all cylinders in the first half of the season, they were some of the best in the league. For some reason, they just couldn't maintain and fell flat in exactly the wrong game. Had we won the division and lost the first playoff game, they would still be employed. Caldwell will find a home somewhere else. Notwithstanding the last half of this season, he left a respectable body of work here. This was an opportunity for him to learn.
His defense is passive and not good enough to win without superior players. He's not getting another DC job without learning a different defense. Sitting back in zone works against bad QBs, not against the top and even average QBs now.

(01-08-2024, 11:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This
How is this going to be possible? A coach can't resign and then take another job at the same level. Unless they way their rights because of the personal friction, a team will have to trade for him.

They can offer him an assistant head coach position in addition to defensive coordinator

Jags have actually done this before in order to secure a parallel hire 

Also, I think that Martindale had the Giants agree to release him, so this wouldn't be an issue

at least, that's what I recall reading earlier this afternoon

(01-08-2024, 10:25 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I do find it interesting that the Giants stated earlier today that Wink would stay. Then, Wink resigns and hours later, Caldwell is let go.

Wink would bring some serious pedigree to this defense.

I also like Ejiro from Carolina.

I didn't see the Giants comments from earlier, but as I mentioned in another post, I think it's less likely than not that you voluntarily leave a position without having something else already lined up.  I guess we'll find out the answer to that here in the next day or so as I don't think there would be a huge delay in announcing his landing spot if he has one already.

I praise that he has been fired.

What kind of D personnel does Wink run? Anyone know?

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:39 AM by p_rushing.)

(01-09-2024, 01:13 AM)MojoKing Wrote: What kind of D personnel does Wink run? Anyone know?
Comes from the Ravens. Giants were bad overall but I think 1st in turnovers. Give him talent and hopefully he is leading one of the best defenses. They definitely wouldn't be sitting back and bending down the field. Think total opposite of Caldwell and Gus Bradley.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:48 AM by Jag88.)

We need a defense coordinator that attacks the qb up the middle. The only attack I seen was a safety blitz or cb blitz once in a while.

I would have fired press first and then the defense coaches!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:55 AM by Jag88.)

(01-08-2024, 10:09 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: JDR anyone? no? ok then.

Being a bit more serious:

Joe Cullen - He was better at the end of the season and who knows how much Meyer affected this guy. He did great with the Ravens and now with the Chiefs, should have kept the guy imo.
Anthony Weaver from the Ravens

Funny I was thinking of Cullen a while back. This guy was interesting and he seemed to do well with the no talent the jags had that year. I doubt it will be him though.

(01-08-2024, 07:58 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 07:56 PM)nhiverson Wrote: Fired

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1744508566734545152

THANK [BLEEP] GOD!!

https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...-f29Q&s=19

Accountability!!

Yes please. Wink!

Pederson is an offense guy. He will blame the defense to save his head.
Next year will be the same with Press and Pederson.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 08:04 AM by Caldrac.)

(01-09-2024, 01:37 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:13 AM)MojoKing Wrote: What kind of D personnel does Wink run? Anyone know?
Comes from the Ravens. Giants were bad overall but I think 1st in turnovers. Give him talent and hopefully he is leading one of the best defenses. They definitely wouldn't be sitting back and bending down the field. Think total opposite of Caldwell and Gus Bradley.

This. He's very aggressive. Former LBs coach as well. Was apart of that Baltimore SB run a few years ago. He'll attack instead of sit back and react.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

(01-09-2024, 05:20 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: Pederson is an offense guy. He will blame the defense to save his head.
Statistically the defense was worse than the offense for the 2nd year in a row. I don't like Press Taylor as well but it was his first year up to bat. First one's free I guess.

I think if they can address the offensive line and change up the running game scheme they should improve. The reality, is that, this team DID fail to execute in a few games earlier in the season.

Plus the timeless turnovers. Look at the dropped pass highlights circulating out there. That was bad. At least four dropped TDs. Which would have been the difference between 9 - 8 and easily 10 - 7 or 11 - 6.

I still think Rauscher should be canned for a better offensive line coach and we need somebody to revamp, retool and toughen up that group along with culture shocking the running game.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-09-2024, 07:59 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:37 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Comes from the Ravens. Giants were bad overall but I think 1st in turnovers. Give him talent and hopefully he is leading one of the best defenses. They definitely wouldn't be sitting back and bending down the field. Think total opposite of Caldwell and Gus Bradley.

This. He's very aggressive. Former LBs coach as well. Was apart of that Baltimore SB run a few years ago. He'll attack instead of sit back and react.

(01-09-2024, 05:20 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: Pederson is an offense guy. He will blame the defense to save his head.
Statistically the defense was worse than the offense for the 2nd year in a row. I don't like Press Taylor as well but it was his first year up to bat. First one's free I guess.

I think if they can address the offensive line and change up the running game scheme they should improve. The reality, is that, this team DID fail to execute in a few games earlier in the season.

Plus the timeless turnovers. Look at the dropped pass highlights circulating out there. That was bad. At least four dropped TDs. Which would have been the difference between 9 - 8 and easily 10 - 7 or 11 - 6.

I still think Rauscher should be canned for a better offensive line coach and we need somebody to revamp, retool and toughen up that group along with culture shocking the running game.

The defense did have it's moments. But then it had games where they looked woefully unprepared (like Sunday). I'm a little surprised they made the change but it does show a willingness on the part of Pederson to make changes where HE sees a need which is really all that matters at this point. Whether those are the right changes remains to be seen. To make the announcement that rapidly means they probably have someone lined up already. 

I'll be interested to see if there are any changes at all on the other side of the ball. I've been critical of Taylor but as Doug says, there have been execution errors all season long so maybe that's hiding a hidden offensive genius that we have yet to see. I would like to see them play a little more conventionally and take the points in FG situations where you don't HAVE to have the points. And lord knows they need to work on the redzone offense.

Defensively I've been hoping they'll switch to a conventional 4-3 with Walker moved permanently to defensive end. It'll require some personnel changes but in the end may suit the team better. Well, we've got an offseason to think about it. It's gonna be a long one.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

The offense went from 10th in yards and points (2022) to 13th in yards and points (2023) while enduring more injury 

Fix the line - get a run game going and they are inside the top ten easily. 

A new passing game coordinator likely incoming could help shake things up for Trevor a bit. Fingers crossed it helps him take the next step.

(01-09-2024, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

The offense went from 10th in yards and points (2022) to 13th in yards and points (2023) while enduring more injury 

A new passing game coordinator likely incoming could help shake things up for Trevor a bit. Fingers crossed it helps him take the next step.

We had far more possesions this year due to turnovers from the D, yet our O went downward in yards.

(01-09-2024, 09:12 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The offense went from 10th in yards and points (2022) to 13th in yards and points (2023) while enduring more injury 

We had far more possesions this year due to turnovers from the D, yet our O went downward in yards.

Yes, not being able to run the ball will do that to a team. You can see that by how the other teams always managed to run up and down the field against us.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-09-2024, 09:12 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The offense went from 10th in yards and points (2022) to 13th in yards and points (2023) while enduring more injury 

We had far more possessions this year due to turnovers from the D, yet our O went downward in yards.

What is the difference in the number of possessions from '22 to '23? 

The Jags average time of possession per game only increased in 2023 by 30 seconds per game. 

Looking at the run game collapse in the latter half and the number of games w/o C.Kirk, I feel confident this offense can be plenty potent with improvements to the line and a revamped run strategy. 

Anyway - this is a defensive coordinator thread , so...

Apparently Wink had some public arguments with safety Xavier McKinney during the season and then the Giants fired his linebackers coach Drew Wilkins and assistant Kevin Wilkins. I guess Wink just wanted the [BLEEP] outta there. Hopefully he's a serious contender for the job here, but with missing pieces on defense he may opt for somewhere else.

Why would he blame the unit that gave up 153 yards to Derrick Henry on 19 carries (8.1 yard per carry average) ?

I mean, the Texans defense gave up 9 yards on 16 carries in week 15 and then 42 yards on 12 carries in week 17.  That equates to a total of 51 yards on 28 carries in 2 games for a 1.8 yards per carry average.

Why in the world would we blame our defense?

(01-09-2024, 08:40 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 07:59 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This. He's very aggressive. Former LBs coach as well. Was apart of that Baltimore SB run a few years ago. He'll attack instead of sit back and react.

The defense did have it's moments. But then it had games where they looked woefully unprepared (like Sunday). I'm a little surprised they made the change but it does show a willingness on the part of Pederson to make changes where HE sees a need which is really all that matters at this point. Whether those are the right changes remains to be seen. To make the announcement that rapidly means they probably have someone lined up already. 

I'll be interested to see if there are any changes at all on the other side of the ball. I've been critical of Taylor but as Doug says, there have been execution errors all season long so maybe that's hiding a hidden offensive genius that we have yet to see. I would like to see them play a little more conventionally and take the points in FG situations where you don't HAVE to have the points. And lord knows they need to work on the redzone offense.

Defensively I've been hoping they'll switch to a conventional 4-3 with Walker moved permanently to defensive end. It'll require some personnel changes but in the end may suit the team better. Well, we've got an offseason to think about it. It's gonna be a long one.

Valid points. I think collectively the team failed overall down the toughest stretch of the season. This is more of an indictment in my opinion on the general manager, scouting department and Pederson. They were not prepared half the time to keep pace with the likes of more grounded and consistent play-off caliber football teams. 49ers schooled them on both sides. Bengals, Browns & Ravens honestly schooled them on both sides. 

This team after starting 8 - 3 had began losing it's continuity and the weaknesses were beginning to either get exposed here and there or the injuries were starting to take it's toll. I really don't like the idea of using injuries as an excuse, as plenty of teams had to deal with it and manage through it, but, again, it's an indictment on the general manager, scouting department and Pederson.

They made next to no significant changes personnel wise in the off season, they wasted really good value picks by treating them as luxury picks, they also failed week in and week out in adjusting to anything as a football team. Nine times out of ten, when this team was tasked with matching another opponent's tenacity, physicality and intelligence? They got absolutely worked. 

For Pederson, I think it boils down to a few things in regards to his staff:

1. He still needs Taylor, even if he is the problem going into this upcoming regular season, it's a lot easier for Doug to say "Alright, Press, take a step back, I am calling the shots full time now, BUT, I need you here to help with the backend stuff in getting the gameplan installed throughout the week".

2. It was Taylor's first, true up to bat as a full time play caller. While it was clearly not perfect. You cannot overlook the obvious issues on this offense. It felt like this team couldn't run the football to save it's [BLEEP] life all season with the exception of two games where Etienne found 18 inches of daylight in London and against Carolina and that was about it. 

When the injuries started cropping up and Lawrence was getting virtually every significant area of his body beat up, literally, head, shoulders, knees and toes (ankle). They couldn't make anything fire on all cylinders collectively. This is a perfect storm of three things. Inexperience as a full time play caller in Taylor, inept personnel to establish balance and a revolving door of players in and out of the weekly lineup soul searching within an identity crisis. 

The identity of this offense was this, "Either Lawrence is ON, or everything is OFF" or "Either we get SOMETHING out of Etienne, or everything is COMPLETELY OFF". 

I think Doug is his own worst enemy. He does need to stop with the gambling on 4th downs. It's something I know it's in his nature, but, when it's not working? It's not working. Goes back with the failures to adjust when needed all season. Not sure what the base front will look like defensively but Walker is more than capable of being a multipurpose defender. I don't think we should limit him to one particular position now going into year three.

I would continue to let him pick and choose some of his match-up's but he's now shown the ability to rush inside, rush outside, set the edge and play standing up or with his fingers in the dirt. I still have concerns with Baalke being in the building though. I just don't see "it" with him in the drafting department and these other teams in this division are clearly ahead of us already when it comes to finding and selecting talent.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."