Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell Discussion Thread (Terminated)

(10-01-2023, 06:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They are better than I thought they'd be. Caldwell does see to be evolving in year 2. Get him one more pass rusher and a nickel - might be a pretty good defense from a league ranking perspective.

Next week is a biiiiiggggg test for them.

Well - Mike Caldwell is proving his doubters wrong.

He has this defense playing "better than they should" all things considered. 
  • The secondary is scrappy and opportunistic. Getting good results on DB blitzing too. 
  • The ILBs are playing very steady.
  • He's doing his best with the front despite not having basically one pass rusher, a 2nd year project player, and missing his primary pocket disruptor in the middle. 

Gotta give it up.

Lots of fans were calling for his head last year, and many of us entered this season saying "show me something" and he has risen to the challenge. 

I hope we can add some pass rush in the offseason.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 03:40 PM by carp8dm.)

You love to see a coach and his side improve from one year to another! Caldwell deserves all the flowers.

(10-03-2023, 11:07 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-03-2023, 10:21 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Bills are hot. But they rise or fall on Allen. When he’s on his A game, he’s amazing. When he reverts to form…not so much. Our D is better than Miami’s. We’ve got a puncher’s chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bijan breaks everyone’s ankles. I’m not going to hold that against him. I wonder that our defense would look like with Muma on the inside starting, Devin taking Travon’s OLB spot, and Travon being used as a roving D lineman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed on Allen.

Agreed on the defensive alignment change up. Some of us have been saying this since last year.

This staff has played key players out of position. It's frustrating. Muma is a natural inside backer, Lloyd was a natural outside backer and Walker was better at Georgia playing down and with his hands in the dirt and not upright.

Even Fortner. 5 year starter at Kentucky. Just 1 year as a Center. He's more than likely a better fit at RG for this team.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

If it ain't fixed, keep it broken?  LOL

I've been saying that Walker should be playing more of an inside roll.  You watch him, and his bull rush pushes linemen back consitently.  He's just not an edge rusher.  It would be interesting to see Lloyd playing on the outside edge.  Muma has has 2 great games in a row.

That roughing call on that one pass play was so bogus.  

As for Fortner, if you move him to guard, who'd you put in at Center?

(10-08-2023, 03:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-01-2023, 06:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They are better than I thought they'd be. Caldwell does see to be evolving in year 2. Get him one more pass rusher and a nickel - might be a pretty good defense from a league ranking perspective.

• The secondary is scrappy and opportunistic. Getting good results on DB blitzing too. 
  • He's doing his best with the front despite not having basically one pass rusher, a 2nd year project player, and missing his primary pocket disruptor in the middle. 

Gotta give it up.

Lots of fans were calling for his head last year, and many of us entered this season saying "show me something" and he has risen to the challenge. 

100% agree. I think he's doing a fantastic job with what he's got and got players playing at high levels. Jenkins had a good day and is a big help with the run D. Campbell has become a stud DB for me and did a damn good job shutting down Diggs but for one play.

He's got a lot of young talent and the depth can be a drop off but he's got them playing hard and aggressive.

This defense has only improved from last year. Caldwells defense leads the league in take aways after 6 weeks.

Good showings against Mahomes and Josh Allen, Tearing apart minshew with 3 (could have easily been 5) interceptions after he went the entire year without throwing one, we're getting to the QB a lot more than I expected and even when Tyson went down with injury our secondary was still pretty good. 

Shout out to the entire team in general, but the defense has been really good.

Brown wasn’t good when Campbell went out.

(10-15-2023, 06:14 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Brown wasn’t good when Campbell went out.

Gave up a TD and 2 big plays at least. Got picked on badly. 

Everyone needs to say a prayer for Campbell's hamstring, LOL

What a dude

Caldwell has his defense playing at an elite level through the first 6 games and deserves credit for this unexpected level of performance.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Caldwell definitely deserves all the praise he's currently receiving. If voting for the pro bowl took place today, there'd be a good chance that Josh Allen, Foye Oluokun, Andre Cisco and Tyson Campbell would earn starting berths. If Hamilton and Smoot recover fully, the defense will only get better. The Danielle Hunter talk is likely to subside with just two weeks left to the trade deadline. My stance on acquiring him, however, has not changed. Can they afford him since they'll have to pay Lawrence, Ridley and Josh Allen? If the rumors regarding the Jaguars interest are true, they must believe it would be possible. I know, the offensive line is not great and Scherff gets hurt regularly, but teams with dominant defenses rarely fade during the post-season.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2023, 10:17 PM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-08-2023, 03:36 PM)carp8dm Wrote: You love to see a coach and his side improve from one year to another!  Caldwell deserves all the flowers.

(10-03-2023, 11:07 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Agreed on Allen.

Agreed on the defensive alignment change up. Some of us have been saying this since last year.

This staff has played key players out of position. It's frustrating. Muma is a natural inside backer, Lloyd was a natural outside backer and Walker was better at Georgia playing down and with his hands in the dirt and not upright.

Even Fortner. 5 year starter at Kentucky. Just 1 year as a Center. He's more than likely a better fit at RG for this team.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

If it ain't fixed, keep it broken?  LOL

I've been saying that Walker should be playing more of an inside roll.  You watch him, and his bull rush pushes linemen back consitently.  He's just not an edge rusher.  It would be interesting to see Lloyd playing on the outside edge.  Muma has has 2 great games in a row.

That roughing call on that one pass play was so bogus.  

As for Fortner, if you move him to guard, who'd you put in at Center?

(10-08-2023, 03:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Gotta give it up.

Uhhhh... Maybe we could invest our money in other places...  I get it, you like the big play and slober over stuff.  But there are areas that our money could be invested into that would be much more impactful...

Love you NYC4Jags...  But maybe you should sit out the financial stuff... numbers are hard to tally up... It's OK. We all still respect what ever it is you do.

He’s on fire. I’m a little worried about cb brown when he comes in. Hopefully coach Caldwell can coach him up.

Just wanted to heap more praise on Mike Caldwell and especially his game planning this year

The way the defense shows different looks each week and guys stay disciplined to assignments compared to previous years is impressive

The way they sold out to stop the run and dare Minshew to throw beyond the sticks Sunday is looking really nice in the rewatch

Bob Sutton's "see ball - get ball" turnover campaign for this secondary also deserves praise - these guys are inexplicably on pace for a 40 turnover season
Bananas!

49ers are #1 in turnover differential with +8.

Bills and Jets are #2 in forced turnovers with 13.

If Lloyd doesn't have a cast on his hand, this Defense could easily have 16, or 17 turnovers.
https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...9956106738

The only negative is someone is going to steal Caldwell next year to come in as a HC. Well negative for us anyway, good for him though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-17-2023, 10:12 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: The only negative is someone is going to steal Caldwell next year to come in as a HC. Well negative for us anyway, good for him though.

Fewer owners going after defensive based HC candidates these days. 

Might help us keep him around and keep this system going for a bit.

(10-17-2023, 10:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-17-2023, 10:12 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: The only negative is someone is going to steal Caldwell next year to come in as a HC. Well negative for us anyway, good for him though.

Fewer owners going after defensive based HC candidates these days. 

Might help us keep him around and keep this system going for a bit.

I hope you're right and we can keep him for another year or two at least

On Good Morning Football the did DB power ranking through the first 6 weeks and they had Darius Williams at number 1

https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...05208?s=20

Since moving Williams outside, this secondary has been getting better and better over time.

This year - Caldwell has been maximizing their potential even more and game planning really well week to week.
(I'll not get into the tinhorns tilt and assume we see adjustments now that there is tape in the rookie QB)