Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell Discussion Thread (Terminated)

(10-30-2023, 08:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 08:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: PFF has Wingard playing at an elite level so far this year

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/andrew-wingard/49268

Prior to Cisco's injury he was only getting maybe a dozen snaps per game, but he has absolutely been very good as the next man up and when he came on in dime packages prior to that.

Yes, he has been good when he was out there even before the injury.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-30-2023, 08:50 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 04:32 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Do we REALLY need another pass rusher?  It would be nice to have,  but Walker has been playing average lately.  Don't like having Chaisson on the field,  so depth would be nice.  I was really tough on the defense last year after we let a couple of winnable games get away in the end..  then coming in this year it was a question of can the defense match the offense's efficiency and just outscore everyone... that isn't even the question.  It's nice that the offense is capable of being a well-oiled machine and can swing for the fences at any moment,  but it's nice to know you don't need that every single week to win games.  Great leadership on the field and sideline has really rubbed off on everyone involved in this operation.. so culture is important,  but we have something special here and hope the team gets some much deserved rest,  but don't get too relaxed.  The real push is coming we have some tough opponents and primetime games.  Then whatever we get in the postseason.

I just read your first sentence. The answer is you can never have too many of them.

If they are free, certainly, be a hoarder.

SPOILER: They ain't free.

This is what it looks like when a bend but don't break - primarily zone defense actually performs and executes assignments.
Jags lead the league in fewest explosive plays allowed, and are near the top in the other two categories displayed in chart.

https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status...06219?s=20

Caldwell seems to place players in a position that best suites their strengths (aka - placing them in a position to succeed).

(10-31-2023, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This is what it looks like when a bend but don't break - primarily zone defense actually performs and executes assignments.
Jags lead the league in fewest explosive plays allowed, and are near the top in the other two categories displayed in chart.

Sounds about right. The only real big play that I can recall that they gave up now was that long one to the tinhorns. It's been weeks since they've done something similar. Maybe a few other shots taken deep from Buffalo late in London but it seems like they counter punch by ball hawking those same shots. 

It's crazy but they probably had at least another two, three interceptions dropped against the Steelers. The most glaring one was Herndon dropping what looked like an easy pick six.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-31-2023, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This is what it looks like when a bend but don't break - primarily zone defense actually performs and executes assignments.

Just a few years ago we were on the opposite end of that spectrum. That's a great sign of how far we've come!

worth the 4 and a half minutes to watch

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...64025?s=20

(11-29-2023, 03:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: worth the 4 and a half minutes to watch

Very much so...thanks
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I'm thinking Mike will be a head coach one day, probably soon

Fun concepts up front. Can't wait to see what Caldwell and Co. cooks up for the Bengals on Monday Night Football now. Looking for our season high set in sacks and forced turnovers in this one.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

This was really good and insightful. Nice to hear props for Walker and Chaisson.

(11-29-2023, 04:08 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

Fun concepts up front. Can't wait to see what Caldwell and Co. cooks up for the Bengals on Monday Night Football now. Looking for our season high set in sacks and forced turnovers in this one.

How ya feel now?  Big letdown.  We got out coached on this one.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 10:02 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-05-2023, 06:13 AM)surfon Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 04:08 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Fun concepts up front. Can't wait to see what Caldwell and Co. cooks up for the Bengals on Monday Night Football now. Looking for our season high set in sacks and forced turnovers in this one.

How ya feel now?  Big letdown.  We got out coached on this one.

Yeah. It looked like they were running a lot of the same things the 49ers did. A ton of pre snap motion, misdirection screens, counter runs, quick and easy stuff early in the game to attack the soft zone coverages and then when they felt like they had the time they would let it rip downfield. 

This defense continues to show weaknesses in the interior though. It's not easy going for 32 out of 37, but, it's REALLY easy when you have no pockets collapsing and you can step up into every throw you need to make 90% of the time. Which is exactly what happened. 

Caldwell was out coached by Zach Taylor last night. For sure. I think every time he sent five or six after Browning? They had the perfect blitz beater called or a screen called going in the opposite direction to punish them for it. 

They weren't on the same page last night. Hell, even Doug said something stupid at halftime. He was asked what they needed to do to stop Browning, and his answer was, "We need to stop the run". They had 62 yards of rushing offense at halftime, Doug. 62. It wasn't the running game that was moving the football up and down the field, coach.

It was Browning having a perfect night, not being moved off the pocket enough, not being forced into any errant passes. Mixon was effective in the redzone after Browning nickeled and dimed your secondary to death.

MNF was a BIG step back for Caldwell's defense.

Not even sure what else to say at this point.

They damn near gave up 500 yards to an offense run by a back up QB.
pitiful

(12-05-2023, 11:34 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: MNF was a BIG step back for Caldwell's defense.

Not even sure what else to say at this point.

They damn near gave up 500 yards to an offense run by a back up QB.
pitiful

Sitting there in the stands watching this all I could think is the Defense is having an really off night.  The offense stepped up responding and if it were not missed FG at the end we would have escaped this.  The double pass Browning to Boyd to Josh Allen was my highlight...
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 12:30 PM by Jaguar Warrior. Edited 1 time in total.)

How the hell you let a backup QB post nearly the best stats of any QB of the year? Especially when your team is considered a superbowl contender? It's just embarrassing and inconsistent. Everyone knew this was a critical junction for the franchise and an opportunity to take the #1 seed. If the defense played like a superbowl contender we might have been able to sit Trevor by the end of the third quarter his injury would never have happened. So disappointed in his inability to get the defense prepared.

(12-05-2023, 12:27 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: How the hell you let a backup QB post nearly the best stats of any QB of the year? Especially when your team is considered a superbowl contender? It's just embarrassing and inconsistent. Everyone knew this was a critical junction for the franchise and an opportunity to take the #1 seed. If the defense played like a superbowl contender we might have been able to sit Trevor by the end of the third quarter his injury would never have happened. So disappointed in his inability to get the defense prepared.

Not just for the year. Top 10 in super bowl era. Let that sink in.

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-jake-brownin...085%2Dplus.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 12:52 PM by Jaguar Warrior. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-05-2023, 12:33 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 12:27 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: How the hell you let a backup QB post nearly the best stats of any QB of the year? Especially when your team is considered a superbowl contender? It's just embarrassing and inconsistent. Everyone knew this was a critical junction for the franchise and an opportunity to take the #1 seed. If the defense played like a superbowl contender we might have been able to sit Trevor by the end of the third quarter his injury would never have happened. So disappointed in his inability to get the defense prepared.

Not just for the year. Top 10 in super bowl era. Let that sink in.

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-jake-brownin...085%2Dplus.

Pretty much unfathomable for something like this to happen. So of course it happens against the Jaguars during a critical prime time game.

There are sometimes when only a single event is needed to determine the future status of employment. This past game is one for Caldwell. Travon Walker being drafted is one for Baalke.

Yeah - it is safe to say that whatever adjustments Caldwell made to his defense to mask the back seven's coverage deficiencies... well... Brian Callahan and Zac Taylor figured out how to expose it again.