Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell Discussion Thread (Terminated)

The announcers were saying they were surprised how many 6 man protections the Bengals used. I guess Caldwell was surprised too. He should have responded with 7 man zone coverage, or press with 3 deep safeties, to clog the lanes and make it hard for the 4 receivers to get open. He didn't seem to have any of those in his game plan.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-05-2023, 12:44 PM)mikesez Wrote: The announcers were saying they were surprised how many 6 man protections the Bengals used.  I guess Caldwell was surprised too.  He should have responded with 7 man zone coverage, or press with 3 deep safeties, to clog the lanes and make it hard for the 4 receivers to get open.  He didn't seem to have any of those in his game plan.

In other words, he got schooled by an elite offensive play caller. Just like when Kyle Shanahan schooled him a few weeks ago. Caldwell's just in his 2nd year as a defensive coordinator. He had his lumps last year. He's had less lumps this year overall. 

It's not surprising though that two of the youngest and brightest offensive minds in football, who have been in Championship games several times now over the last five, six years, took him to the cleaners and back. 

It did bother me though that it felt awfully like what the 49ers did. Tons of pre snap movement and motion, timely screen passes, perfect blitz beaters, gashes up the middle, tosses to the outside with motion used to get away from strengths. A lot of short, easy stuff underneath. 

Defense didn't learn anything apparently when they got schooled by the 49ers. Again, one forced punt and a lucky break with an INT by Allen is all they had to show for the night.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-05-2023, 12:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah - it is safe to say that whatever adjustments Caldwell made to his defense to mask the back seven's coverage deficiencies... well... Brian Callahan and Zac Taylor figured out how to expose it again.

LOL

Rayshawn Jenkins trying to come up and make a play on a TE has ppl putting tinfoil on their heads. 

https://twitter.com/BerryWalden/status/1...82907?s=20

I know the D had a bad game yesterday but they've had a pretty damn good season so far. I feel they've earned a bad game and sadly due to injuries it cost us a game.

I said in the gameday thread you've got to give the Bengals credit for coming in with a gameplan and the executed it very well and we couldn't find the solution.

But i think they bounce back against Flacco.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 04:03 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-05-2023, 02:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 12:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah - it is safe to say that whatever adjustments Caldwell made to his defense to mask the back seven's coverage deficiencies... well... Brian Callahan and Zac Taylor figured out how to expose it again.

LOL

Rayshawn Jenkins trying to come up and make a play on a TE has ppl putting tinfoil on their heads. 

https://twitter.com/BerryWalden/status/1...82907?s=20

Lageman was disappointed on this play as well. Said Jenkins is more of the physical, in the box safety after a caller complained that he saw Cisco play too far away from the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 1 and that Jenkins had actually been pretty physical the last few games. 

That was a really piss poor effort there. Not sure what happened, but, other than just maybe closing his eyes? How in the [BLEEP] did he miss that opportunity? Lageman said Jenkins should have lit his [BLEEP] up there on that route. 

So, not the only person questioning that play in particular. That's not the only instance of goofy [BLEEP] happening around the NFL neither. There were some goofy [BLEEP] plays with the Broncos secondary deliberately laying down or letting up with Mahomes scrambling right at them.

For example, CB or S has Mahomes dead to rights, chooses to deliberately engage the blocker in front of him and square up Vs. actually gunning for Mahomes.

(12-05-2023, 03:53 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I know the D had a bad game yesterday but they've had a pretty damn good season so far. I feel they've earned a bad game and sadly due to injuries it cost us a game.

I said in the gameday thread you've got to give the Bengals credit for coming in with a gameplan and the executed it very well and we couldn't find the solution.

Flacco I think I heard today was going to Cleveland's practice squad. Not sure who the QB is yet this Sunday.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-05-2023, 03:53 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I know the D had a bad game yesterday but they've had a pretty damn good season so far. I feel they've earned a bad game and sadly due to injuries it cost us a game.

I said mid-game we need to go back and see how teams stopped us when we had Gabbert - everything was screens, short yardage. I think our guys were on their heels trying to avoid the deep ball or hoping that they could rely on speed to force Browning to float a few and steal a cheap turnover or three.

It's like they decided to play things safe, and we chose to let them take the safe stuff. There was no bite in our D. Just a complete pushover.

If they do that against CLE or BAL, it will get ugly.

(12-05-2023, 05:02 PM)Mikey Wrote:

I said mid-game we need to go back and see how teams stopped us when we had Gabbert - everything was screens, short yardage. I think our guys were on their heels trying to avoid the deep ball or hoping that they could rely on speed to force Browning to float a few and steal a cheap turnover or three.

It's like they decided to play things safe, and we chose to let them take the safe stuff. There was no bite in our D. Just a complete pushover.

If they do that against CLE or BAL, it will get ugly.

This was what seemed to get us. 1st Q it was all short, quick passes and runs so we just stuffed the line and we're able to get them off the field. 2nd Q the Bengals opened it up and hit us deep and it seemed to completely unbalance us. It opened up the run game, PA, screens, it was all working for them and we couldn't find a way to stop anything and start making them more one dimensional. 

There were plenty of missed tackles, poor coverage, wide open, no pressure so it wasn't all on the coaches. Everyone on the D except Josh had a poor night. 

We desperately need some guys on the D to start making a difference and making big plays. Walker, Lloyd, Jenkins, RRH, we need these guys to step it up. 

I'm expecting a reaction against Cleveland and it could be a game where any points are huge so we need the D to have a big game.

(12-05-2023, 10:01 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 06:13 AM)surfon Wrote: How ya feel now?  Big letdown.  We got out coached on this one.

Yeah. It looked like they were running a lot of the same things the 49ers did. A ton of pre snap motion, misdirection screens, counter runs, quick and easy stuff early in the game to attack the soft zone coverages and then when they felt like they had the time they would let it rip downfield. 

This defense continues to show weaknesses in the interior though. It's not easy going for 32 out of 37, but, it's REALLY easy when you have no pockets collapsing and you can step up into every throw you need to make 90% of the time. Which is exactly what happened. 

Caldwell was out coached by Zach Taylor last night. For sure. I think every time he sent five or six after Browning? They had the perfect blitz beater called or a screen called going in the opposite direction to punish them for it. 

They weren't on the same page last night. Hell, even Doug said something stupid at halftime. He was asked what they needed to do to stop Browning, and his answer was, "We need to stop the run". They had 62 yards of rushing offense at halftime, Doug. 62. It wasn't the running game that was moving the football up and down the field, coach.

It was Browning having a perfect night, not being moved off the pocket enough, not being forced into any errant passes. Mixon was effective in the redzone after Browning nickeled and dimed your secondary to death.

To the bolded, I've rewatched the first half this evening and saw Doug's comment and Joe Buck said 67 yards rushing actually for the Bengals at the half I believe.  Here's the thing, we've been averaging giving up like 72 yards on the ground per game not including QB scrambles, so it was kind of already obvious and a big deal to Doug that they were gashing us on the ground which was by extension providing better down and distance situations for them in the passing game.

Also, earlier in the broadcast it was mentioned that the hallmark of Caldwell's defense is to make the opposing team one dimensional.  We weren't making them one dimensional which is a big problem for a bend don't break defense.  

I think Doug was right on point with his comment.  Unfortunately, knowing is only half the battle.

I'm just gonna say the truth since everyone is ignoring it. Fact is, when Tyson Campbell has been on the field our secondary has been torched.. now I know, everyone regards him highly as do I and it very well could be he's just not 100% but I think it's pretty clear he's been a weak link this year. Go back and check the scores of the games he came back from injury vs the games he was out, it speaks for itself.

(12-05-2023, 11:42 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I'm just gonna say the truth since everyone is ignoring it. Fact is, when Tyson Campbell has been on the field our secondary has been torched.. now I know, everyone regards him highly as do I and it very well could be he's just not 100% but I think it's pretty clear he's been a weak link this year. Go back and check the scores of the games he came back from injury vs the games he was out, it speaks for itself.

This is at least the 8th post I've seen saying something to this effect. So - I don't think it is being ignored. I know I've mentioned it a few times. 

He hasn't been himself all year, and clearly isn't himself since the two injuries.  His comp percentage allowed was up pretty sharply before he was officially on the injury report. Kinda wonder if he's been nursing something since camp. 

I'd sit him and play Brown until/unless Brown gets thoroughly exposed.

Coach Caldwell had a bad game. He didn’t make the adjustments. Bottom line. Now watch browning look horrible in the bangles next games. Maybe not but I wouldn’t be surprised.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2023, 06:57 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-05-2023, 11:42 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I'm just gonna say the truth since everyone is ignoring it. Fact is, when Tyson Campbell has been on the field our secondary has been torched.. now I know, everyone regards him highly as do I and it very well could be he's just not 100% but I think it's pretty clear he's been a weak link this year. Go back and check the scores of the games he came back from injury vs the games he was out, it speaks for itself.

Lol, I've said it and it's been mentioned several times.  I wouldn't call that ignoring it. Hamilton as well

(12-05-2023, 11:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 10:01 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Yeah. It looked like they were running a lot of the same things the 49ers did. A ton of pre snap motion, misdirection screens, counter runs, quick and easy stuff early in the game to attack the soft zone coverages and then when they felt like they had the time they would let it rip downfield. 

This defense continues to show weaknesses in the interior though. It's not easy going for 32 out of 37, but, it's REALLY easy when you have no pockets collapsing and you can step up into every throw you need to make 90% of the time. Which is exactly what happened. 

Caldwell was out coached by Zach Taylor last night. For sure. I think every time he sent five or six after Browning? They had the perfect blitz beater called or a screen called going in the opposite direction to punish them for it. 

They weren't on the same page last night. Hell, even Doug said something stupid at halftime. He was asked what they needed to do to stop Browning, and his answer was, "We need to stop the run". They had 62 yards of rushing offense at halftime, Doug. 62. It wasn't the running game that was moving the football up and down the field, coach.

It was Browning having a perfect night, not being moved off the pocket enough, not being forced into any errant passes. Mixon was effective in the redzone after Browning nickeled and dimed your secondary to death.

To the bolded, I've rewatched the first half this evening and saw Doug's comment and Joe Buck said 67 yards rushing actually for the Bengals at the half I believe.  Here's the thing, we've been averaging giving up like 72 yards on the ground per game not including QB scrambles, so it was kind of already obvious and a big deal to Doug that they were gashing us on the ground which was by extension providing better down and distance situations for them in the passing game.

Also, earlier in the broadcast it was mentioned that the hallmark of Caldwell's defense is to make the opposing team one dimensional.  We weren't making them one dimensional which is a big problem for a bend don't break defense.  

I think Doug was right on point with his comment.  Unfortunately, knowing is only half the battle.

Browning was 17/18 or basically perfect at the half way mark. And close to, if not, over 200 yards passing already. If anything? It was his ability and the passing game moving the football most of the time and thus setting up the running game the way they did. 

They got caught sleep walking and flat footed once again as a defense. This is the 2nd time in 4 weeks that this defense got schooled by a superior offensive play caller. They had no answers.

(12-05-2023, 11:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 10:01 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Yeah. It looked like they were running a lot of the same things the 49ers did. A ton of pre snap motion, misdirection screens, counter runs, quick and easy stuff early in the game to attack the soft zone coverages and then when they felt like they had the time they would let it rip downfield. 

I think you also factor in RB screens as "runs", indirectly. Being on pace for 130-140 yards rushing was probably counter to the gameplan, too. For a team that tends to perform well against the run, it certainly wasn't where we would have felt comfortable at the half.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2023, 10:39 AM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 7 times in total.)

(12-06-2023, 09:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 11:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: To the bolded, I've rewatched the first half this evening and saw Doug's comment and Joe Buck said 67 yards rushing actually for the Bengals at the half I believe.  Here's the thing, we've been averaging giving up like 72 yards on the ground per game not including QB scrambles, so it was kind of already obvious and a big deal to Doug that they were gashing us on the ground which was by extension providing better down and distance situations for them in the passing game.

Browning was 17/18 or basically perfect at the half way mark. And close to, if not, over 200 yards passing already. If anything? It was his ability and the passing game moving the football most of the time and thus setting up the running game the way they did. 

They got caught sleep walking and flat footed once again as a defense. This is the 2nd time in 4 weeks that this defense got schooled by a superior offensive play caller. They had no answers.

Our defense has given up yardage through the air all year and that never set up the run for anyone else.  Something else was up in the run game on Monday night.  Maybe Zac had some blocking schemes we weren't prepared for, or there was lack of effort (there sure seemed to be in some areas), or lack of adjustments by Caldwell or something else, but them running the ball effectively certainly helped Browning.

The idea about committing to stopping the run is that many more bad things can happen for an offense when the ball is in the air or in the process of being in the air (tipped balls, interceptions, sacks, etc.)  It should be a little easier to defend the pass when you've effectively said "no sir" to their running game.

We're good at stopping the run.  They weren't a good running team coming in.  That got flipped on its head in the first half and coach recognized it as the problem it was.  Unfortunately it continued in the 2nd half.  Campbell being terrible and their receiving corps being top notch certainly helped Browning and their passing game, but shutting down the run as we have done consistently this year would have absolutely made things easier for us and harder on him.

EDIT: Yeah in retrospect, our pass defense in the 1st half was exceptionally bad. It wasn't bend don't break, it was just broken. The series to start the 2nd quarter Browning hit on 4 of 5 passes for a total of 80 yards in chunks of 14 to 25 yards each which marched them down the field for their first TD. And then obviously the failure of Campbell 1 on 1 with no help against Chase early in the 3rd which led to a long and quick TD. Despite the defensive woes, had Lawrence not gone out I think we win the game though and I don't say that to disparage CJ as I think he played admirably all things considered.

eh, everybody in the secondary gets beat on occasion. Did he come back too soon? Not sure I can say, but he certainly didn't have the speed to catch Chase after trying to break up the long pass. And it's really hard to attribute this or any loss to one player. We had next to no pass rush all night; think that if Browning were getting harrassed by our line, that the DBs stats would look better? Is Campbell (or the team) forcing himself back too early because they know we're playing a pass-happy offense? There's a lot more to consider than the mere coincidence of "he's on the field, so the DBs play worse".

If the choice is Campbell or Buster, I'm taking Campbell every time assuming he has his legs under him. Simple as that.

(12-05-2023, 11:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

This is at least the 8th post I've seen saying something to this effect. So - I don't think it is being ignored. I know I've mentioned it a few times. 

He hasn't been himself all year, and clearly isn't himself since the two injuries.  His comp percentage allowed was up pretty sharply before he was officially on the injury report. Kinda wonder if he's been nursing something since camp. 

I'd sit him and play Brown until/unless Brown gets thoroughly exposed.

(12-06-2023, 10:22 AM)Mikey Wrote:

eh, everybody in the secondary gets beat on occasion. Did he come back too soon? Not sure I can say, but he certainly didn't have the speed to catch Chase after trying to break up the long pass. And it's really hard to attribute this or any loss to one player. We had next to no pass rush all night; think that if Browning were getting harrassed by our line, that the DBs stats would look better? Is Campbell (or the team) forcing himself back too early because they know we're playing a pass-happy offense? There's a lot more to consider than the mere coincidence of "he's on the field, so the DBs play worse".

If the choice is Campbell or Buster, I'm taking Campbell every time assuming he has his legs under him. Simple as that.

Go back and look at how torched we got the first game he came back from injury as well, he hasn't been himself this year.

Does the guy know how to make in game adjustments?

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2023, 09:07 PM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

Mixon has been punking us for at least 3 years.  The only bigger <Bleep> Down we got was from Henry.  But Mixon is just as much an owner of Jaguar D's as Henry.

It was nice to see him continue to punk us like we were an NFC South team.  It was an embarrassing night by the defense.

Our Defense should be ridiculed and lambasted for the entire week.  They were Bush League and they should be exposed as a trash D untill they make up for such a terrible display.

Sure, we had some splash plays... Allen's INT.  Allen's Sack.  But other than that, what were they?  Just a squad that smelled their farts so much they thought they were walking through a field of roses.  The way that D played on Monday...  Man, they better show up in Cleveland.

Worst defensive outing all season. Maybe a bad matchup.