Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
New Jersey requiring students to learn 'media literacy' to fight 'disinformation'

After reading the article, I think both sides have valid points but........ It all depends on who is putting this program together.......

New Jersey requiring students to learn 'media literacy' to fight 'disinformation'

'The government's now involved in what's misinformation and what isn't,' Joe Concha said

New Jersey is now requiring all students in grades K-12 to be taught "media literacy" as a means of fighting so-called misinformation.

"Our democracy remains under sustained attack through the proliferation of disinformation that is eroding the role of truth in our political and civic discourse," Gov. Phil Murphy, D., said in a statement. "It is our responsibility to ensure our nation’s future leaders are equipped with the tools necessary to identify fact from fiction."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-jersey...nformation
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: 61a7bead95e2aa2a14909dfe60786eb60f46d026...bdea-1.jpg]

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I learned media literacy from Mad magazine. For those of you too young to know what Mad magazine was, it was a satire magazine for kids. They lampooned everything, especially the crap the media was feeding us.

(01-09-2023, 01:01 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I learned media literacy from Mad magazine.  For those of you too young to know what Mad magazine was, it was a satire magazine for kids.  They lampooned everything, especially the crap the media was feeding us.

Alfred E. would make a better President.

(01-09-2023, 01:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 01:01 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I learned media literacy from Mad magazine.  For those of you too young to know what Mad magazine was, it was a satire magazine for kids.  They lampooned everything, especially the crap the media was feeding us.

Alfred E. would make a better President.

Than Trump?  Yes, absolutely.

(01-09-2023, 01:03 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 01:02 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Alfred E. would make a better President.

Than Trump?  Yes, absolutely.

I always knew you were a soy boy..

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2023, 02:29 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

When I was in middle school, our school library's computers got connected to the internet for the first time.  We all got the lecture about how "you can't believe everything you read on the internet." Some of us remember what teachers tell us.  Others do not.

Then we were the first ones to get on Facebook, those of us who went to college, anyhow.  Facebook was fun.  There wasn't a news feed in those days.  If you wanted to know what your friend was doing or thinking about, you had to go to their page first.

Then we watched our parents and their friends also get accounts.  Then we watched our peers who did not go to college get accounts. 

Then we watched those people all start to believe everything they read on the internet.  And they distributed their nonsense so much faster with the news feed, sharing stuff that they did not even read first. Got a lot less fun.

I commend NJ for trying, and they should try.  But I think there will always be enough kids that don't pay attention to the lesson, or don't remember the lesson, that misinformation will still spread.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

And we still can't teach personal finance. It's almost like we want a poor, compliant group of people, hungry to work for the man.

(01-09-2023, 01:38 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: And we still can't teach personal finance. It's almost like we want a poor, compliant group of people, hungry to work for the man.

They really need to teach personal finance in school.  So many people are nearing retirement with no savings whatsoever.

Yeah, well, it's not by accident, Marty. It's been a no-brainer for the last 30 years at least.

(01-09-2023, 01:38 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: And we still can't teach personal finance. It's almost like we want a poor, compliant group of people, hungry to work for the man.

Still have mine from college, about 25+ years ago.. Kept all of my college books. Got them on my book shelf in my Florida Room.. Great book.

Aced that class!
[Image: 20230109-125728.jpg]

It's such an important concept. It's a shame it's not a required class in high school.

(01-09-2023, 02:03 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It's such an important concept. It's a shame it's not a required class in high school.

That book taught me more than almost any book in high school.

This one helped get me through college too lolol

[Image: 20230109-131551.jpg]

(01-09-2023, 01:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

They really need to teach personal finance in school.  So many people are nearing retirement with no savings whatsoever.

Last year the FL legislature passed a law requiring personal finance for high school graduation.  Other states are also doing it.  You're both getting your wish.

(01-09-2023, 01:01 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I learned media literacy from Mad magazine. For those of you too young to know what Mad magazine was, it was a satire magazine for kids. They lampooned everything, especially the crap the media was feeding us.

My go-to mag as a young teen in the early 70's. That and Cracked.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-09-2023, 04:32 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

My go-to mag as a young teen in the early 70's.  That and Cracked.

My generation had, and still has, the Onion.  Then we got the Babylon Bee, which lands some really good ones along with some big woofs.

(01-09-2023, 04:32 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

My go-to mag as a young teen in the early 70's.  That and Cracked.

Cracked was cool too.. Didn't they have fold-outs like Mad? I wanna say that they did, cause those were always cool too.

(01-09-2023, 05:24 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 04:32 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: My go-to mag as a young teen in the early 70's.  That and Cracked.

Cracked was cool too.. Didn't they have fold-outs like Mad? I wanna say that they did, cause those were always cool too.

Fold-outs....and wall stickers! My bedroom door was covered with them. Lord knows what my parents were thinking.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-09-2023, 05:30 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 05:24 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Cracked was cool too.. Didn't they have fold-outs like Mad? I wanna say that they did, cause those were always cool too.

Fold-outs....and wall stickers!  My bedroom door was covered with them.  Lord knows what my parents were thinking.

Yup lol

Good stuff though!