Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How not to tank

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2023, 05:11 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Thankfully, we didn't go down this road in 2020, but listening to all the media coverage of it, I was curious to see what Texan fan had to say.  Page 11 and beyond seems to be the funniest.

https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/week-...81/page-11
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2023, 05:18 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-09-2023, 05:04 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Thankfully, we didn't go down this road in 2020, but listening to all the media coverage of it, I was curious to see what Texan fan had to say.  Page 11 and beyond seems to be the funniest.

But on the other hand, I don't think there's a clear cut #1 pick QB in the draft this year.  Someone's going to take the guy from Alabama, someone's going to take the guy from Ohio State, and we'll eventually find out whether one was better than the other.

I assume the Bears are going to trade out of the pick.

(01-09-2023, 05:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 05:04 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Thankfully, we didn't go down this road in 2020, but listening to all the media coverage of it, I was curious to see what Texan fan had to say.  Page 11 and beyond seems to be the funniest.

But on the other hand, I don't think there's a clear cut #1 pick QB in the draft this year.  Someone's going to take the guy from Alabama, someone's going to take the guy from Ohio State, and we'll eventually find out whether one was better than the other.

Good points, but why give away a certain pick and the choice and leverage it brings just to win that meaningless game? Even a tie would have won the pick for them. But they had to go for 2. Not playing the long game.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-09-2023, 05:24 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 05:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: But on the other hand, I don't think there's a clear cut #1 pick QB in the draft this year.  Someone's going to take the guy from Alabama, someone's going to take the guy from Ohio State, and we'll eventually find out whether one was better than the other.

Good points, but why give away a certain pick and the choice and leverage it brings just to win that meaningless game?  Even a tie would have won the pick for them.  But they had to go for 2.  Not playing the long game.

Those are also good points, but they're going to try to win.  Losing doesn't do anything good for the coaches or the players.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2023, 08:48 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

This isn’t hard. Lovie knew he was getting fired and going for the win was a “[BLEEP] you” to the owner.

(01-09-2023, 08:48 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: This isn’t hard. Lovie knew he was getting fired and going for the win was a “[BLEEP] you” to the owner.

This appears to be correct.

Players and/or coaches that are in the last year of their contracts don’t care anything about a #1 overall pick, including the QB who could possible be replaced with that pick. Or the DE, LT, etc. All 53 guys are focused on their job and nothing more.

The players that go into free agency still have to produce in order to get calls from other teams during the offseason.

The Colts are drafting at 4 ... 

I must say I'm looking forward to the hoo-ha in the division when they trade up with the bears for a quarterback haha ... Nashing of teeth as they say

(01-12-2023, 03:33 PM)cat bells Wrote: The Colts are drafting at 4 ... 

I must say I'm looking forward to the hoo-ha in the division when they trade up with the bears for a quarterback haha ... Nashing of teeth as they say

I've been thinking abut Houston moving up.  They have the ammunition due to the Watson trade.  Either way, it'll be fun to see them spend so much draft capital to move up in an attempt to find a QB that can be another Trevor Lawrence and fail miserably, setting their franchise back a few years more.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2023, 04:16 PM by cat bells. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-12-2023, 03:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I've been thinking abut Houston moving up.  They have the ammunition due to the Watson trade.  Either way, it'll be fun to see them spend so much draft capital to move up in an attempt to find a QB that can be another Trevor Lawrence and fail miserably, setting their franchise back a few years more.

Absolutely ... And there's a fair chance they end up in a bidding war with each other to boot... The draft couldn't have fallen better for the bears, top pick, back to 2/4 and take one of the favoured defensive prospects or slip back even further and have a fistful of picks...

All for the sake of a two point conversion ... Sliding doors moment though, makes you wonder where we'd be if Frank Gore hadn't decided on a last hurrah, wonder what lets fans are thinking now. Ah well!

(01-09-2023, 08:48 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: This isn’t hard.  Lovie knew he was getting fired and going for the win was a “[BLEEP] you” to the owner.

That’s funny. His defenses are a pain in the you know what. I wonder if he lands somewhere else. He’s a decent coach.

(01-12-2023, 04:13 PM)cat bells Wrote:
(01-12-2023, 03:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I've been thinking abut Houston moving up.  They have the ammunition due to the Watson trade.  Either way, it'll be fun to see them spend so much draft capital to move up in an attempt to find a QB that can be another Trevor Lawrence and fail miserably, setting their franchise back a few years more.

Absolutely ... And there's a fair chance they end up in a bidding war with each other to boot... The draft couldn't have fallen better for the bears, top pick, back to 2/4 and take one of the favoured defensive prospects or slip back even further and have a fistful of picks...

All for the sake of a two point conversion ... Sliding doors moment though, makes you wonder where we'd be if Frank Gore hadn't decided on a last hurrah, wonder what lets fans are thinking now. Ah well!
What works AGAINST a bidding war between those two is:

1.  The lack of a perceived true franchise QB prospect.  I'm hearing a lot of talk about the USC QB who will supposedly be in next year's draft,but nobody in this class is getting that talk.  The most I've heard is Bryce Young's playing style is reminiscent of a young Russell Wilson.  But RUssell WIlson went in the 3rd round.  Besides his frame is very slight.  Don't hear much about CJ Stroud or Levin from Kentucky being equivalent to a true franchise QB.  Of course, that doesn't preclude one or all of them from becoming franchise QBs.  But FWIW, I don't see it in these guys.  They could be good not great.  That doesn't translate into high demand,  However, teams without QBs are desperate to get one so you could see a trade.

2.  The team's proximity to the top pick.  Neither Houston nor Indy would have to move up very far to get the #1 overall pick.  Houston has to move up 1 spot, Indy only has 3 spots to move.  The Bears ostensibly have their franchise QB, so possibly Houston could sit at 2 and sill get their guy.  Currently there seems to be three QBs that could go in the top ten, the Colts-in theory, could stay at 4 and get one of them.  Of course, by doing so, they risk a team like Carolina trading up.

I am inclined to think that any trade down will invlve getting the other team's 2nd round pick in the package, since they traded their own away for Chase Claypool.  They need a lot of help, especially along the OL.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!