Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nuk wants to be a Jag?

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 07:46 AM by jessepeck1213. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...RmIPA&s=19

The audio clip of the reported saying it is in the comments of the tweet.
Also, Yes please.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is not possible. Too old, too expensive, and not at a position of need.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 08:04 AM by jessepeck1213.)

It's very possible. He's only 30, he'd immediately be the best reciever we have by a significant margin. And you can always move cap around and restructure. We still have lawrence on his rookie deal and we should take advantage of it. If we wanna beat the cheifs/bengals/bills, moves like this are what we need to make.

(01-11-2023, 08:04 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: It's very possible. He's only 30, he'd immediately be the best reciever we have by a significant margin. And you can always move cap around and restructure. We still have lawrence on his rookie deal and we should take advantage of it. If we wanna beat the cheifs/bengals/bills, moves like this are what we need to make.

We're already over the cap for next year, and I would rather not cut younger players to sign this guy.  Besides, we're already set at WR.  We have other much bigger needs.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 08:34 AM by Caldrac.)

If a player of his caliber wants to be here? You at least entertain him and his agent. We're fixing to cut Griffin, we're also fixing to see a number of other players hit free agency to clear up cap space. Backfill on defense during the draft. Patch up the offensive line early and figure out a way to make this work.

Hopkins - Ridley - Kirk - Jones. On paper alone that's pretty impressive. Also, there's no guarantee that Ridley comes back after two years of being away from football as that 1400+ yard receiver.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-11-2023, 08:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: If a player of his caliber wants to be here? You at least entertain him and his agent. We're fixing to cut Griffin, we're also fixing to see a number of other players hit free agency to clear up cap space. Backfill on defense during the draft. Patch up the offensive line early and figure out a way to make this work.

Hopkins - Ridley - Kirk - Jones. On paper alone that's pretty impressive. Also, there's no guarantee that Ridley comes back after two years of being away from football as that 1400+ yard receiver.
Your last sentence is something I’ve been saying for over a month. It’s very hard to come back after missing as much time as Ridley regardless if you have an injury or not. Look at Watson. He has been HORRIBLE.

If the Cards are willing to take on a bulk of Hopkins contract for a 2nd rounder? I would do this trade.

(01-11-2023, 08:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: If a player of his caliber wants to be here? You at least entertain him and his agent. We're fixing to cut Griffin, we're also fixing to see a number of other players hit free agency to clear up cap space. Backfill on defense during the draft. Patch up the offensive line early and figure out a way to make this work.

Bruh....

Trevor would throw for 100 TDs
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 09:13 AM by Caldrac.)

(01-11-2023, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Your last sentence is something I’ve been saying for over a month. It’s very hard to come back after missing as much time as Ridley regardless if you have an injury or not. Look at Watson. He has been HORRIBLE.

If the Cards are willing to take on a bulk of Hopkins contract for a 2nd rounder? I would do this trade.

(01-11-2023, 09:09 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:

Bruh....

Agreed on both fronts. We have to also try to get as much accomplished now before Lawrence is due his big fat loot of a contract deal. Which, you blink and it'll be here. 

Having the ability to run an offense with three to four receiver sets with that group in the mix? Along with potentially tagging Engram and having him in a flex position at TE? Plus Etienne out of the backfield?

I mean. What more would you want out there? Beef up the offensive line and defensive line in the first three rounds and start backfilling depth for the secondary and the rest of the team with the 4th RD and down and I think we'll be fine in the AFC South. 

This is a prime opportunity for us right now. Entertain the idea at the minimum.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-11-2023, 09:13 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Your last sentence is something I’ve been saying for over a month. It’s very hard to come back after missing as much time as Ridley regardless if you have an injury or not. Look at Watson. He has been HORRIBLE.

(01-11-2023, 09:09 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Bruh....

Agreed on both fronts. We have to also try to get as much accomplished now before Lawrence is due his big fat loot of a contract deal. Which, you blink and it'll be here. 

Having the ability to run an offense with three to four receiver sets with that group in the mix? Along with potentially tagging Engram and having him in a flex position at TE? Plus Etienne out of the backfield?

I mean. What more would you want out there? Beef up the offensive line and defensive line in the first three rounds and start backfilling depth for the secondary and the rest of the team with the 4th RD and down and I think we'll be fine in the AFC South. 

This is a prime opportunity for us right now. Entertain the idea at the minimum.

A while back, I posted that having Trevor Lawrence would produce this byproduct of having free agents want to come here.  If the above is true, it makes me feel good, although the chances of the Jaguars signing a guy like him are very slim.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-11-2023, 07:51 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: This is not possible.  Too old, too expensive, and not at a position of need.

This is why, if you want a WR, you draft one (Hyatt, AT Perry, QJ, if they should fall).

As for not being a position of need, at face value...no WR isn't.

However I maintain if Ridley isn't what he was pre-suspension, our WR room isn't as strong as we think.
Furthermore if he isn't what he was, and on top of that there's an injury, suddenly the position becomes a liability.

Signing him enables the WR group to be, at least for a year or two, a complete mismatch against most secondaries.  The best passing attacks of recent years go/have gone at least 3 deep in good WRs.

Kansas City has:
MVS
K. Toney
Ju Ju Smith -Schuster
Mycole Hardman

Cincinnati has
:

Jamarr Chase
Tee Higgins
Tyler Boyd

Buffahole has/had

Stefon Diggs
Gabriel Davis
Emmanuel Sanders
Cole Beasley

Right now, the Jaguars have Christian Kirk and Zay Jones.  Marvin Jones is in his 30s, and while crafty, does not provide a matchup advantage over any defender/  While they exceeded my preseason expectations, they could use more help.

Again, I don;t think signing Hopkins is feasible for the reasons listed above, I DO think he represents an upgrade at the position that could be of benefit to the team in the short term.

If he wants to sign for vet minimum, that would prove how badly he wants to play here. Probably about all we could afford, anyhoo.

Hes under contract. He told the cardinals he wants out and listed his 2 preffered destinations. We wouldn't be signing him, we would be trading for him.

Thinking about it, it should come as no surprise that if the Cardinals should fire Kingsbury (and they did) there would be a fire sale of WRs, because that seemed to be all they accumulated under Kingsbury. A new coach would likely install a more conservative offensive approach, and the need to stockpile all of these WRs is reduced, with more attention being placed elsewhere on the team. He damn near ran a run-n-shoot offense. If bloodletting at that position should happen,put me down for Rondale Moore...or at the lease Marquise "Hollywood Brown."

Perhaps its the old Jacksonvile pessimism talking, but it occurred to me Hopkins may not actually want to play here, but is using Jacksonville to drive up his contract. At first glance, I would think he'd want to play in Los Angeles. Bigger market. His friend Jalen Ramsey is there. He would still get to play for a young, talented QB. But of course I could be wrong.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 10:53 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-11-2023, 10:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Thinking about it, it should come as no surprise that if the Cardinals should fire Kingsbury (and they did) there would be a fire sale of WRs, because that seemed to be all they accumulated under Kingsbury. A new coach would likely install a more conservative offensive approach, and the need to stockpile all of these WRs is reduced, with more attention being placed elsewhere on the team.  He damn near ran a run-n-shoot offense.  If bloodletting at that position should happen,put me down for Rondale Moore...or at the lease Marquise "Hollywood Brown."

Perhaps its the old Jacksonvile pessimism talking, but it occurred to me Hopkins may not actually want to play here, but is using Jacksonville to drive up his contract.  At first glance, I would think he'd want to play in Los Angeles.  Bigger market.  His friend Jalen Ramsey is there.  He would still get to play for a young, talented QB.  But of course I could be wrong.

There's a bit of familiarity with Kirk here already. He saw Kirk have his best year yet in ONE season with Lawrence and Pederson. Already earning his contract. He got out of Arizona at the perfect time. There's also the Clemson connection between Hopkins and Lawrence. There's also the chance to play the tinhorns and punk McNair twice a year as well. His former team.

Tax free state. Sometimes those guys don't care for L.A or larger markets. Sometimes a lot of these guys come from small towns or rundown cities and they like nice, quiet cities like ours that's laidback and not too far away from everything. I think he's looking at legitimate, up and coming teams that could use an even bigger spark to get over the top. 

Would take him here in a heartbeat. Would fork over a 2nd RD pick and not even flinch.

(01-11-2023, 10:38 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Hes under contract. He told the cardinals he wants out and listed his 2 preffered destinations. We wouldn't be signing him, we would be trading for him.

The way trades work these days, usually players end up wanting/needing new deals...either for cap purposes or because the current team (in this instance the Cardinals) won't give in to player demands for a new contract but the new team will (think the Ramsey trade).

I haven't heard of any demands from Hopkins about a new deal.  Perhaps he wants to maximize his chances of winning.  Maybe he wants to play for an elite QB in a warm weather location.

It's neat to kick this around, but I don't think it'll happen.

Whatever we do let's not dig ourselves a hole similar to the one the Rams find themselves in. They spent a lot of money to get the team they have and on paper it looks great. Translated to the season not so much. They have no real leverage to make any significant changes until 2024 at the earliest IIRC.

Yes, they won the SB last year but that kind of money and talent should last more than one season.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 11:10 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-11-2023, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 10:48 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Thinking about it, it should come as no surprise that if the Cardinals should fire Kingsbury (and they did) there would be a fire sale of WRs, because that seemed to be all they accumulated under Kingsbury. A new coach would likely install a more conservative offensive approach, and the need to stockpile all of these WRs is reduced, with more attention being placed elsewhere on the team.  He damn near ran a run-n-shoot offense.  If bloodletting at that position should happen,put me down for Rondale Moore...or at the lease Marquise "Hollywood Brown."

Perhaps its the old Jacksonvile pessimism talking, but it occurred to me Hopkins may not actually want to play here, but is using Jacksonville to drive up his contract.  At first glance, I would think he'd want to play in Los Angeles.  Bigger market.  His friend Jalen Ramsey is there.  He would still get to play for a young, talented QB.  But of course I could be wrong.

There's a bit of familiarity with Kirk here already. He saw Kirk have his best year yet in ONE season with Lawrence and Pederson. Already earning his contract. He got out of Arizona at the perfect time. There's also the Clemson connection between Hopkins and Lawrence. There's also the chance to play the tinhorns and punk McNair twice a year as well. His former team.

Tax free state. Sometimes those guys don't care for L.A or larger markets. Sometimes a lot of these guys come from small towns or rundown cities and they like nice, quiet cities like ours that's laidback and not too far away from everything. I think he's looking at legitimate, up and coming teams that could use an even bigger spark to get over the top. 

Would take him here in a heartbeat. Would fork over a 2nd RD pick and not even flinch.

Not sure familiarity would necessarily be a positive in this case.  Kirk is also familiar with Hopkins, and more importantly being his teammate.  He finally broke out of Hopkins' shadow.  The locker room is good right now.  Would adding Hopkins to the mix cause any resentment in Kirk?  Note:  I have only heard of minor rumblings of Hopkins being a negative locker room presence, mostly under Bill O' Brien, which supposedly led to his trade from Houston in the first place, so I'm not impugning his character.  I'm also not sure the the Clemson connection would be much help.  Hopkins didn't play with Lawrence.  He may have played with Watson...but IIRC he was long gone by the time Trevor Lawrence got there.
He may well prefer the smaller town as as opposed to the huge city, and that may well work in our favor.

There are compelling arguments to having him here.  But we should proceed with caution.  Looking purely at talent, I'd take him.  The foursome you listed earlier is certainly and upgrade over our top four now.  But there are other considerations.

(01-11-2023, 11:00 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Whatever we do let's not dig ourselves a hole similar to the one the Rams find themselves in. They spent a lot of money to get the team they have and on paper it looks great. Translated to the season not so much. They have no real leverage to make any significant changes until 2024 at the earliest IIRC.

Yes, they won the SB last year but that kind of money and talent should last more than one season.

I would take one Super Bowl winning year for 2-3 years of losing as opposed to never winning the Super Bowl and still not being able to avoind losing seasons.

Forgot about his PED suspension.

I don't see a Hopkins signing happening given three these three factors:
  • Ridley addition
  • Salary Cap 
  • current production with Kirk/Zay/Engram

Of course it would be amazing to have that guy catching passes from Lawrence for a couple years before he's washed completely, but I don't realistically see it happening and I'm not sure it would be wise given our cap issues and other needs. 

If we're talking priorities, I think improving our OL would bump our passing production and rushing production to the point that we wouldn't covet receivers looking to relocate for the final golden years they have remaining in the NFL.

Fair points made in here. We'll see what happens in the post season I guess. If Ridley comes in and immediately adds 900+ yards of production to what we already have between Zay, Christian and Evan we're fine.

I don't think they'll draft a receiver within their first three rounds of selections. This would be where I think they might look at a guy like Demus Jr, Ronnie Bell, Jake Bobo, Elijah Higgins or Johnny Wilson as early as RD4.

I still think we need a bigger target on this roster.