Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
One NFL Gambler Lost $1.4M Chasing Chump Change In Jags’ Epic Comeback

Maybe this person got a tad over confident, or maybe he just didn't know the Jags never quit..........

How One NFL Gambler Lost $1.4M Chasing Chump Change In Jags’ Epic Comeback

It should’ve been the easiest $11,200 any NFL bettor ever made, but it turned into a seven-figure nightmare.

When the Los Angeles Chargers took a commanding 27-0 lead in the first half of Saturday’s NFL wildcard playoff game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, an unnamed gambler wagered the team would hold on to win.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/how-one-n...gn=dwbrand
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lol, serves him right. I just picture somebody glued to the TV, sweating bullets as the Jags score TD after TD in the second half and then line up for the game winning field goal...

He must not have realized it was always the Jags.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I was talking with someone the other day and we wondered how much one could have made at halftime betting a hundred or so on the Jags. That surely would have been a nice payout. If anyone has the answer to that, please let me know. Idk why I’m so curious about it.

This story is the complete opposite of what I was wondering. Why would anyone put up 1.4m to win a measly 11,200???

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 08:55 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

Take 1.4 million, invest it in a short-term, fully-guaranteed bank CD or Treasury bond, for 3 months, at current interest rates, and you would receive about $15,000 in interest.  Fully guaranteed. 

In addition to that, when the Chargers were up 27-0, the chance of us winning that game was supposedly 1.5%.  The payoff he bet on, $11,200 divided by $1,400,000 equals .8%.  That bet is a total ripoff.

One thing I've noticed, from talking to people who like to bet on sports, is that they think they are a lot smarter than they actually are.

(01-18-2023, 08:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Take 1.4 million, invest it in a short-term, fully-guaranteed bank CD or Treasury bond, for 3 months, at current interest rates, and you would receive about $15,000 in interest.  Fully guaranteed. 

In addition to that, when the Chargers were up 27-0, the chance of us winning that game was supposedly 1.5%.  The payoff he bet on, $11,200 divided by $1,400,000 equals .8%.  That bet is a total ripoff.

One thing I've noticed, from talking to people who like to bet on sports, is that they think they are a lot smarter than they actually are.

I can see the allure of $11k in 30 minutes versus $15k in 3 months. Especially when betting against the Jags when that far down.

(01-18-2023, 08:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Take 1.4 million, invest it in a short-term, fully-guaranteed bank CD or Treasury bond, for 3 months, at current interest rates, and you would receive about $15,000 in interest.  Fully guaranteed. 

I've noticed this from people in general, irrespective of the subject.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I've read from a few places that this bet is totally fake and just used to drum up attention.

Makes sense.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 01:38 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-18-2023, 01:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

I've read from a few places that this bet is totally fake and just used to drum up attention.

Makes sense.

What would be the motivation to do that?  This doesn't sound like the kind of thing BETMGM, or whoever it was, would want to publicize.

Betting is dumb.