Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Leftwich out from Bucs?

(01-17-2023, 02:52 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 01:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Leftwich to fix Kyler Murray, lol.  That's a good one

We dodged a huge bullet with not bringing in Leftwich.

Dodging a bullet is implying he is not going to be a good head coach.  So you’re saying that he’s not going to be a good head coach when he gets a chance?

And nothing is going to fix Murray unless there’s some magical way to make him grown four inches.

Man, the Byron hate is still going strong a full 20 years later. Unreal.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-17-2023, 04:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 02:52 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Dodging a bullet is implying he is not going to be a good head coach.  So you’re saying that he’s not going to be a good head coach when he gets a chance?

And nothing is going to fix Murray unless there’s some magical way to make him grown four inches.

Pederson certainly turned this team around fast, which is something that I don’t think Leftwich could have done as he would have been learning on the job.  But he was always considered a strong Xs and Os and film guy, which would seem like something you’d want in a coach.  I have no problem admitting that I was on board with Leftwich as he seemed to fit the trend of the ‘young blood’ entering the HC ranks.

To say they ‘dodged a bullet’ is a bit of an exaggeration.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I wanted Pederson from the start but I don't think BL is a bad coach. Certainly not bad enough to warrant some of these responses.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2023, 06:58 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-17-2023, 02:52 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Dodging a bullet is implying he is not going to be a good head coach.  So you’re saying that he’s not going to be a good head coach when he gets a chance?

Bryon hate?  I don't hate Byron but I was happy as hell almost 20 yrs ago when Garrard took over.  The QB position was upgraded by a good margin.  You thought Bryon was a good QB for us?  Lol.  As far as coaching, do I think he could be a good coach 5 to 10 years down the road?  Maybe.  Do I think he is ready to be a head coach right now?  No

(01-17-2023, 05:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 04:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Man, the Byron hate is still going strong a full 20 years later. Unreal.

Pederson certainly turned this team around fast, which is something that I don’t think Leftwich could have done as he would have been learning on the job.  But he was always considered a strong Xs and Os and film guy, which would seem like something you’d want in a coach.  I have no problem admitting that I was on board with Leftwich as he seemed to fit the trend of the ‘young blood’ entering the HC ranks.

This was the only fan base that wanted Leftwich as their coach.

Aside from being a homer, why in the hell would ANYONE want Byron as a QB coach?!?

Dude was struggling to be an average QB in this league. There was also a reason why he earned the nicknames 'Byron Leftfeet' and 'Captain Windmill'..

Nice guy, but his play was spotty and his mechanics were almost Tebow-esk.. He has nothing to offer.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2023, 08:37 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-17-2023, 07:33 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 04:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Man, the Byron hate is still going strong a full 20 years later. Unreal.

Aside from being a homer, why in the hell would ANYONE want Byron as a QB coach?!?

Dude was struggling to be an average QB in this league. There was also a reason why he earned the nicknames 'Byron Leftfeet' and 'Captain Windmill'..

Nice guy, but his play was spotty and his mechanics were almost Tebow-esk.. He has nothing to offer.

What does any of that have to do with coaching?  Pederson was never more than a backup, so he can’t coach right?

(01-17-2023, 06:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Bryon hate?  I don't hate Byron but I was happy as hell almost 20 yrs ago when Garrard took over.  The QB position was upgraded by a good margin.  You thought Bryon was a good QB for us?  Lol.  As far as coaching, do I think he could be a good coach 5 to 10 years down the road?  Maybe.  Do I think he is ready to be a head coach right now?  No

(01-17-2023, 05:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Pederson certainly turned this team around fast, which is something that I don’t think Leftwich could have done as he would have been learning on the job.  But he was always considered a strong Xs and Os and film guy, which would seem like something you’d want in a coach.  I have no problem admitting that I was on board with Leftwich as he seemed to fit the trend of the ‘young blood’ entering the HC ranks.

So that makes it wrong?  Nope.  

Once again, what does his playing career have to do with coaching.  By that logic Pederson never should have been hired by Philly since he was only a backup.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2023, 08:39 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-17-2023, 08:34 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 07:33 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Aside from being a homer, why in the hell would ANYONE want Byron as a QB coach?!?

What does any of that have to do with coaching?  Pederson was never more than a backup, so he can’t coach right?

Yeah, he did so well this last season. He pretty much made a name for himself as a QB coach only because of Brady.. Byron can piss off.

What's he gonna do? Teach how to drop back a couple steps and fall on his [BLEEP]?

(01-17-2023, 08:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 08:34 PM)RicoTx Wrote: What does any of that have to do with coaching?  Pederson was never more than a backup, so he can’t coach right?

Yeah, he did so well this last season. He pretty much made a name for himself as a QB coach only because of Brady.. Byron can piss off.

What's he gonna do? Teach how to drop back a couple steps and fall on his [BLEEP]?

Your opinion.  That’s fine.  Not very sound reasoning, but that’s fine.

(01-17-2023, 08:49 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 08:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Yeah, he did so well this last season. He pretty much made a name for himself as a QB coach only because of Brady.. Byron can piss off.

Your opinion.  That’s fine.  Not very sound reasoning, but that’s fine.

Of course, just my opinion.

Now tell us how the playing careers of Jim Bob, Press, and Mike McCoy matter to their coaching careers. You guys have this wrong idea that playing experience matters a wit to coaching ability and because Byron wasn't a good player that means he can't coach. That's news to dozens of bad to average players who.became good to great coaches. I'm not saying I wanted Leftwich because Pederson was already proven superior, but geez, how Byron played has zero to do with whether or not he should be hired as a coach.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 08:17 AM by WingerDinger. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-18-2023, 07:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Now tell us how the playing careers of Jim Bob, Press, and Mike McCoy matter to their coaching careers. You guys have this wrong idea that playing experience matters a wit to coaching ability and because Byron wasn't a good player that means he can't coach. That's news to dozens of bad to average players who.became good to great coaches. I'm not saying I wanted Leftwich because Pederson was already proven superior, but geez, how Byron played has zero to do with whether or not he should be hired as a coach.

And that's your opinion.

And we damn sure don't need anyone with piss poor mechanics themselves trying to teach Trevor..

Handcuffing Byron to Trevor would be like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari.. Just stupid.

(01-18-2023, 07:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Now tell us how the playing careers of Jim Bob, Press, and Mike McCoy matter to their coaching careers. You guys have this wrong idea that playing experience matters a wit to coaching ability and because Byron wasn't a good player that means he can't coach. That's news to dozens of bad to average players who.became good to great coaches. I'm not saying I wanted Leftwich because Pederson was already proven superior, but geez, how Byron played has zero to do with whether or not he should be hired as a coach.

Don't let them see Doug Pederson's stats as an NFL QB.  They may want to run him out of town all of a sudden.

Back on topic I don't know what to think of Leftwich as a coach.  Thinking back to last year's coaching search, I don't believe I was in favor of it initially.  But then talked myself into the idea of him and Wilson when it seemed like it was a done deal.  But was finally content with Pederson when it was all over.  It was such a crazy search with so many rumors.  I think most of us just wanted it to be over all while hoping Baalke was gone.  So far it seems like things have worked out.  But it's only been one year.  As far as Lefty, it's hard to judge with not a lot of experience.  Having Brady sure did help at first but now is probably weighing him down.  And lets be honest, how much control did Leftwich really have.  Have to think Brady was able to call his own shots and dictate gameplans.  

I wonder if Leftwich missed his best opportunity last year.  Gotta strike while the iron is hot sometimes.  Can't always wait for things to be just right or you'll be waiting forever.

Doug was already a proven coach when he was hired here.

Byron hasn't done squat.

If Jeff Saturday can get a head coaching gig.... Byron Leftwich certainly has earned his turn.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Let them experiment elsewhere.. Tired of experiments here.

Need proven coaches.

(01-18-2023, 09:25 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Doug was already a proven coach when he was hired here.

Byron hasn't done squat.

So then you’re saying the Eagles never should have hired Pederson.  Got it.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 10:28 AM by Mikey.)

(01-17-2023, 01:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 12:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Could see him in Arizona with Adrian Wilson trying to fix Kyler Murray and that team in general. Carolina as well.

Leftwich to fix Kyler Murray, lol.  That's a good one

We dodged a huge bullet with not bringing in Leftwich.

by fix Kyler Murray, I think Caldrac meant let him play some cactus league baseball to score a deal with an MLB team

(01-17-2023, 07:33 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

who said anything about a QB coach?

Some of the best coaches are guys who didn't necessarily have the physical talent to dominate, but still had a mind that could absorb strategy, lead men, and deal with baloney. Kinda like our currrent coach?

(01-17-2023, 08:38 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-17-2023, 08:34 PM)RicoTx Wrote: What does any of that have to do with coaching?  Pederson was never more than a backup, so he can’t coach right?

I think you have the Tampa OC confused with the Tampa backup.

(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023, 11:16 AM by Cleatwood.)

Good lord.

Why so much hate toward Byron?

(01-17-2023, 06:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(01-17-2023, 05:06 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Pederson certainly turned this team around fast, which is something that I don’t think Leftwich could have done as he would have been learning on the job.  But he was always considered a strong Xs and Os and film guy, which would seem like something you’d want in a coach.  I have no problem admitting that I was on board with Leftwich as he seemed to fit the trend of the ‘young blood’ entering the HC ranks.

Look at you still struggling to read.

No where in his post did he say he thought Byron was a good QB for the Jags.