Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Work, Raises & Inflation

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023, 11:25 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Good Morning, 

Looking for a little bit of insight here. Fully aware of inflation, costs of food, etc. Having said that. I work for a railroad company in Transportation. I oddly enough, ended up getting a raise at the end of last year, was 8%. Just clearing the inflation percentage I believe of around 7.8% or something along those lines.

Anyway. I am in Management. Nobody else, including the two people above me on the food chain within the department received a raise increase. I don't think anybody is aware that I have. I tend to keep that information to myself but it's pretty clear my team is upset about not receiving anything, let alone, it's been over three years since we received any bonuses under new ownership.

Question. Has anybody ever been in this spot before and should I be concerned? There's technically a merge happening this year between two divisions that operate very similar but not quite. They'll be rebranded but still apart of the railroad. That doesn't directly impact me but it is a group of people, two technically at the moment, that we in fact work with daily.

Should I be concerned or take it as a sign that my raise means I'll be sticking around for awhile with the possibility of lay-offs incoming for the rest of the staff? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me outside of that thought. I can understand why they would want to keep me. I am approaching 15 years of service with this company in April and I will only be 35 that same month. 

I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to a wide variety of this company and how our systems operate. I simply just "know" things and know how to resolve them, speak to them, etc. So, I get that line of thinking when it comes to me personally. I am just wondering if this means with nobody else getting pay increases that [BLEEP] is about to hit the fan here. 

I know about tech companies already laying off people in droves. I also know about the challenges and struggles with some of these trucking companies and carriers also having similar challenges. There's also Class I railroads having HUGE challenges of their own regarding labor negotiations, turnover within the engineer/conductor area, etc. 

Appreciate any feedback here.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCFUGCOLLU

And don't overkill yourself with questions.

Dog eat dog.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

If you live as if you are going to lose your job tomorrow, in a few years, you won't have anything to worry about.

But to your question- it sounds like you already have nothing to worry about.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023, 07:11 PM by Jags. Edited 3 times in total.)

My wife works for a railroad as well.  She initially got hired on at probably bare minimum, but more than she was making.  Got promoted a few times.  Occasionally companies will “reassess” whatever the terminology is pay for some people. She was young and in a short period got promoted a few times.  Problem is, the long term people in the same position are making 20-30k more a year.  They’ll sometimes increase pay for those like you and her to fall in line with the others.  You may make 90k and everyone else is making 100k doing the same job.  She too got a raise not long ago to put her more in line.  I asked a longtime railroad employee (very high ranking one, at that) and retiree-of the same company and he said it was a normal thing and explained why.  I had the same concerns for my wife. 

Accept your new pay.  They’re just paying you closer to what your peers are getting. 

But, then again… it’s the railroad.  Never know when the next layoff is.  That along with a recession     Best of luck to you.

Edit: my wife has similar years of service.  I wish she also had similar years of age as you.  You single? Jk.

Jags is right.
There may be layoffs announced tomorrow, but nothing in your post suggests layoffs are imminent.
Be glad you found a place that pays well and makes you feel useful. Save all you can.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-19-2023, 07:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: Jags is right.
There may be layoffs announced tomorrow, but nothing in your post suggests layoffs are imminent.
Be glad you found a place that pays well and makes you feel useful.  Save all you can.

I’m sorry.. can you repeat that? I, like you, enjoy being right!  But more so hearing about it.   Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2023, 07:48 PM by Jags.)

Botttom line: you’ve got the board drunk and the board guy who we all disagree with telling ya it’ll be ok!  Reassuring, isn’t it!  Laughing

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2023, 05:25 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

It's encouraging that you are the only one above or below you that recently received a raise. In a layoff situation where the wheels still have to keep turning, it's best to have either a broad knowledge of systems and processes, or a specialized knowledge of a critical process. Knowledge is usually king. It also doesn't hurt for your salary to be cost-effective. Whatever happens, here's hoping you not only survive, but thrive.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-20-2023, 05:23 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: It's encouraging that you are the only one above or below you that recently received a raise. In a layoff situation where the wheels still have to keep turning, it's best to have either a broad knowledge of systems and processes, or a specialized knowledge of a critical process.  Knowledge is usually king. It also doesn't hurt for your salary to be cost-effective.  Whatever happens, here's hoping you not only survive, but thrive.

Cross training has saved me in a ton of situations and layoffs..

Being layed off sucks, but so does not being layed off.. You end up having to pick up the slack of everyone that got let go.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-19-2023, 11:15 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Good Morning, 

Looking for a little bit of insight here. Fully aware of inflation, costs of food, etc. Having said that. I work for a railroad company in Transportation. I oddly enough, ended up getting a raise at the end of last year, was 8%. Just clearing the inflation percentage I believe of around 7.8% or something along those lines.

Anyway. I am in Management. Nobody else, including the two people above me on the food chain within the department received a raise increase. I don't think anybody is aware that I have. I tend to keep that information to myself but it's pretty clear my team is upset about not receiving anything, let alone, it's been over three years since we received any bonuses under new ownership.

Question. Has anybody ever been in this spot before and should I be concerned? There's technically a merge happening this year between two divisions that operate very similar but not quite. They'll be rebranded but still apart of the railroad. That doesn't directly impact me but it is a group of people, two technically at the moment, that we in fact work with daily.

Should I be concerned or take it as a sign that my raise means I'll be sticking around for awhile with the possibility of lay-offs incoming for the rest of the staff? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me outside of that thought. I can understand why they would want to keep me. I am approaching 15 years of service with this company in April and I will only be 35 that same month. 

I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to a wide variety of this company and how our systems operate. I simply just "know" things and know how to resolve them, speak to them, etc. So, I get that line of thinking when it comes to me personally. I am just wondering if this means with nobody else getting pay increases that [BLEEP] is about to hit the fan here. 

I know about tech companies already laying off people in droves. I also know about the challenges and struggles with some of these trucking companies and carriers also having similar challenges. There's also Class I railroads having HUGE challenges of their own regarding labor negotiations, turnover within the engineer/conductor area, etc. 

Appreciate any feedback here.

Sounds more like you got a market equity adjustment than a raise. I'd say you were probably 12% underpaid before and now you're just 3 or 4% under. The good news is that your severance package will be more as a result! Keep grinding!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Payroll always leaks salaries so it's hard to keep anything under wrap.

I'd have to think the increase is incentive to stay and a sign that you will be retained. The others must be considered somewhat dispensable ...

(01-25-2023, 01:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Payroll always leaks salaries so it's hard to keep anything under wrap.

I'd have to think the increase is incentive to stay and a sign that you will be retained.  The others must be considered somewhat dispensable ...

He’s dealing with a somewhat unique issue…the people that make final decisions are not in the US.  One of the reasons I skeedaddled.  I mean really there’s only two choices.  Start getting the resume out there or ride it out.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]