Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DJ First Mock

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2023, 02:42 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

If the draft fell like this I think Mayer would likely be my pick as well with Clark Phillips right there in consideration. With that said Id still resign Engram. Engram and Mayer in 2 TE sets could be a matchup nightmare in Dougs offense.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...-selecting

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-20-2023, 02:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If the draft fell like this I Mayer would likely be my pick as well with Clark Phillips right there as well.  With that said Id still resign Engram.  Engram and Mayer in 2 TE sets could be a matchup nightmare in Dougs offense.

Wow. He's got a lot of big names falling (Bijan, Breese, Addison) but can't complain with Mayer. Interesting that he has Kincaid over Mayer.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2023, 02:46 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-20-2023, 02:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-20-2023, 02:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If the draft fell like this I Mayer would likely be my pick as well with Clark Phillips right there as well.  With that said Id still resign Engram.  Engram and Mayer in 2 TE sets could be a matchup nightmare in Dougs offense.

Wow. He's got a lot of big names falling (Bijan, Breese, Addison) but can't complain with Mayer. Interesting that he has Kincaid over Mayer.

Yeah, he must of really loved his first USC game.  That was very impressive for a TE

Felix Anudike-Uzomah is very interesting especially if for some reason we cant resign Key

Damn, dude is only 20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHBqnYATIM

Jeremiah is one of the better talent evaluators so his mock drafts are always interesting and often differ from the norm. For example, I have not previously seen Will McDonald, Tyrique Stevenson or Dalton Kincaid selected in the first round of any other mocks. He also has Quinten Johnson and Kelee Ringo falling out of round 1 which goes against all other mocks. It will be interesting to see if other draft "experts" jump on D.J.'s bandwagon regarding these particular players. My initial observations of his mock draft also include the following:

1. Edge rusher is the strongest position at the top with 8 players taken in round 1. This is good news for the Jaguars since they are likely to lose both Key and Smoot following this season and this was one of the team's weakest positions even with their contributions. From what I've seen on tape, Anudike-Uzomah would be my top choice followed by Ojulari. Selecting one of these would allow Walker to move to the defensive end position.

2. The offensive line group does not appear that strong, especially at the top. The Jaguars will definitely need to upgrade the guard position as well as draft a tackle if Taylor leaves in free agency. Even though Little has looked good, they will need another reliable tackle in case one of the starters go down like Robinson did this season. The team needs to strongly consider taking a lineman in the first 2 rounds, preferably in round 2. Andrew Vorhees has been mocked to the Jaguars on a few occasions and he looks like a great fit if available. He would start immediately at guard, but has experience at tackle. If the team decides to wait on an Edge until later then Torrence would also have to be considered in round 1.

3. Cornerback/nickel seems to also be a very deep position in this class so the Jaguars could likely find an immediate starter or rotational player as late as the 3rd round.

4. Evan Engram has become one of the team's most reliable weapons and I'd be shocked if he doesn't return with a nice multi-year deal. Mayer is a complete tight end and should be a very good pro, but I would wait until later in the draft to take another tight end. However, if Luke Musgrave or Kincaid are available in round 2 and they are the top player on their board then going BAP is never a bad idea. Having 2 tight ends like Engram and Musgrave on the field at the same time would challenge just about any defense- especially with Pederson's play-calling.

It's great to be picking in the 20's since that means your team has had a good season. I believe the 2022-23 draft sets up great for the Jaguars. This should enable them to improve the positions of weakness leading to another AFC SOUTH title with the strong possibility of playing for the AFC championship and winning the franchises first Super Bowl.

I still really want Torrence. Id honestly trade up for him if he is still there in the 20s. I think he would help this team the most on top of being PBA

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 03:08 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

This is an interesting pick and i like it being Hamilton will be a FA next year. If we plan on staying in a 3-4 I wouldnt mind this pick at all. In the history of the league all the elite 3-4 denfenses had an elite NT. If they feel like this guy can be that then I wouldnt mind the pick. It would be one more step to owning this division for the next years to come being our divisoin is at the top of all divisions when you look at the RB position.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/202...ichardson/

Mayer would be a STEAL if he fell to our pick.

Also, Anthony Richardson is a huge reach at 22 imo - but who knows, there is always some team that pulls the trigger too fast for a QB coming out. As of now, I don't think AR will be a first round pick but things could change with him possibly being a combine workout warrior.

(01-21-2023, 03:09 PM)enigma Wrote: Mayer would be a STEAL if he fell to our pick.

Also, Anthony Richardson is a huge reach at 22 imo - but who knows, there is always some team that pulls the trigger too fast for a QB coming out. As of now, I don't think AR will be a first round pick but things could change with him possibly being a combine workout warrior.

Agreed, I think he could be the next Jason Witten

Has us taking Clemson DT Bryan Bresee in his 2.0 mock.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...anderson-j

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2023, 07:49 AM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-22-2023, 02:07 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Has us taking Clemson DT Bryan Bresee in his 2.0 mock.

Several players I would stay away from are Bresee and Ringo. Would love to add a second TE and nickel in free agency and seriously focus on the lines in the draft.

(02-22-2023, 07:46 AM)wg171 Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 02:07 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Has us taking Clemson DT Bryan Bresee in his 2.0 mock.

Several players I would stay away from are Bresee and Ringo. Would love to add a second TE and nickel in free agency and seriously focus on the lines in the draft.

I'd also be afraid to take Breese and Ringo. Their potentially high ceilings just aren't worth the risk, in my opinion. In this mock, I'd much prefer either Mayer or Torrence. Both would be very good value picks at 24. As far as free agency, my guess is that the Jaguars will make re-signing Engram, Key and Taylor a priority. If that's the case, it will be difficult to sign high quality free agents from other teams. I wouldn't mind it if they try to make 1 year deals with aging veterans like Patrick Peterson or Brandon Graham. Each would fill a position of need and wouldn't be too costly.

I think in years past, I would be more cautious with players like these two.

But with Pederson, for whatever reason, I'm ready to swing for the fences man. Take these dudes and then with a good culture and good coaching staff, they'll reach their ceiling.

Got to remember Ringo is still only 20 years old. He doesn't turn 21 until June or July IIRC. You're drafting him for what he could be down the road, not for what he is right now.

With that said, he's strictly an outside Corner. He has no business playing inside in the NFL, he'll get destroyed.

Can't say I know much of anything about Bresee.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023, 09:35 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

I hate this selection. Hard pass on Bresee. He's more of a run defender than an actual pass rusher. I understand the injuries. I understand the situation that happened with his sister. That's heartbreaking. With that said. I am judging him based on his production on the football field and inability to stay healthy. There's just not enough there for me to feel comfortable taking him.

Also, there's players that went after him in this mock draft that I would take over Bresee and not even think twice about it. Jalin Hyatt or Zay Flowers would be good additions to this receiving core. Even with Ridley in the mix you still have to consider that he may or may not be the guy and you also have to consider Zay Jones maybe not being here for the long term with Kirk getting potentially moved down the pecking order.

Torrence at Guard would be fantastic. Depending on the Engram situation I think Mayer would still be an ideal prospect. We had a very lack luster pass rushing unit last year which only gets weaker if you don't retain Key and Smoot is coming back from an ACL and also hitting the market. So, passing on a definitive and clearly defined edge rusher like Keion White, Anudike-Uzomah and Nolan Smith there in favor of basically a far less dynamic Travon Walker in Bresee just seems awful.

He played in 25 games at Clemson over three years. 28 career solo tackles. 23 assists. 15 TFL's and 9 sacks is not a lot to get excited about. The fact that DJ even has to justify it by saying he's a former number one overall recruit and sugar coating and making excuses for his lack of impact also should deter you from him.

Hell, wouldn't shock me at all if he slips to RD2. Do you want to gamble on him with the 57th overall pick? Maybe. Even then I would want to look at the board to be 100% sure about that.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2023, 11:00 AM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

The thing that scares me about Bresee is he certainly fits the “Trent Baalke mold”. I do not want him on the board when the Jags pick.

https://youtu.be/RG0ochx16Dg

(02-23-2023, 10:57 AM)wg171 Wrote: The thing that scares me about Bresee is he certainly fits the “Trent Baalke mold”. I do not want him on the board when the Jags pick.

https://youtu.be/RG0ochx16Dg

He is definitely a measurables guy for sure. Breese is the type of gut Balke dreams about.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

If Baalke slobers over measureables? I am curious how big his eyes are going to get when he sees Darnell Washington out of Georgia up close. For his size I expect him to put up similar numbers at the combine that Jelani Woods put up last year. He's also a better overall prospect.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-24-2023, 09:20 AM)Caldrac Wrote: If Baalke slobers over measureables? I am curious how big his eyes are going to get when he sees Darnell Washington out of Georgia up close. For his size I expect him to put up similar numbers at the combine that Jelani Woods put up last year. He's also a better overall prospect.

I really hope he’s around with our second pick.  I just don’t see him as a first rounder yet.  At least not prior to the combine.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-24-2023, 09:52 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-24-2023, 09:20 AM)Caldrac Wrote: If Baalke slobers over measureables? I am curious how big his eyes are going to get when he sees Darnell Washington out of Georgia up close. For his size I expect him to put up similar numbers at the combine that Jelani Woods put up last year. He's also a better overall prospect.

I really hope he’s around with our second pick.  I just don’t see him as a first rounder yet.  At least not prior to the combine.

It'll be close. I wouldn't mind the pick. Having a giant target out there like Kyle Brady again would be awesome on offense. I think he would be one hell of a compliment to Engram.