Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell has to learn from this!

We didn't adjust the game plan after Mahomes was hurt.

99 yards to CHAD HENE...   Kelce caught 14 balls for a 7 yard average.  I can't count the amount of times he was free in a zone or matched up against a pass rusher.  

Trevor was facing free rushers all day, it felt like we didn't hit Mahomes after he came back in the game.  We should have been more aggressive.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

hopefully he can learn on a different team

We went full Gus Bradley.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

One thing I hope is we have a new D coordinator after this year. Caldwell has terrible game plans vs top teams. Would hate to see him here next year with a 1st place schedule.

(01-21-2023, 08:52 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Trevor was facing free rushers all day, it felt like we didn't hit Mahomes after he came back in the game.  We should have been more aggressive.

Agreed!  I think this was the key takeaway from this game.  Seemed like every drive the chiefs were able to get at least one play where they had a free rusher right up the middle against lawrence.  We barely got pressure on Mahomes or Henne.  Especially in the 2nd half once we knew Mahomes was hurt.  I'm not sure we even touched him let got a bit hit or a sack.  We just got zero pressure.

I was so disappointed after this game. I cannot believe that we could not even TOUCH Mahommes in the 2nd half. The dude could barely walk. All you need to compare to understand why we lost this game are the jerseys of Trevor and Patrick. I am SO mad at Mike Caldwell right now. Seriously. We knew the minute he got hurt that we needed to pressure him. He only had to run one single time in the entire second half. What a joke. The other, very noticeable issue was Mahomme's ability to throw deep after the injury. I would have happily risked the big play to have the whole defense playing within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

You know, I told myself I wasn't going to be upset if we lost this game. Mahommes is a first class talent. However, that single failure to put pressure on him got my blood boiling.

Don't get me started.

I don't want to put it all on Caldwell...but we clearly didn't put enough pressure on the KC QBs, and we clearly too often left Kelce wide open.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

You know... I'm no expert at football, so I am always open to being wrong, but I just can't understand why we had our defensive line constantly clogging the lanes instead of spreading out and creating gaps for blitzers. It just seems SO obvious a change once Mahommes got hurt. That is what they were doing to us the whole second half, forcing Trevor to make quick reads. I know that Patrick could not get the same velocity on his balls once his ankle was that hurt. You just can't get power if you can't put all your weight on your back foot. Again... seems so obvious to me, but what do I know?

I. Pacheko 7.9 ypc...

Not good enough for me. I would be surprised if he is back tbh.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

Doug will make sure that not only does his players mature and develop, so does his coaching staff.

(01-21-2023, 09:21 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: Doug will make sure that not only does his players mature and develop, so does his coaching staff.

+1

While I have my doubts about Caldwell, I feel like another year and two more pieces of talent could shift things for this defense enough to make a difference.

I wholeheartedly love the fire that Jenkins played with over the last 6 or 7 weeks, but the dude can't cover for [BLEEP] and I'm really curious how different this defense looks with a stud nickel and a SS that doesn't give up a 71% completion rate.
For every impact play he makes there's 2 passes uncontested and 2 whiffed tackles.

So you have Allen cover Kelce then you have Key cover Kelce on back to back plays. And what happens? Consecutive catches by Kelce.

How do you have two of your BEST pass rushers cover a generational TE?!
Horrible game planning by Caldwell. Not impressed with him and his game plans. He needs to do better next year. I think we keep him

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 10:13 PM by OG-JAGFAN. Edited 1 time in total.)

Kelce was the only real weapon on the field with the passing game. The corners had the outside locked down. They should of been double teaming Kelce after his 4th or 5th catch. I can accept if someone else beats us. Leaving their best player wide open numerous times including in the red zone is inexcusable. The other issue is the team could not get home with 4. They had to bring extra men to get pressure and payed the price numerous times. Kelce should of had another 2 or 3 catches because he was wide open and Mahomes just missed him. I don't understand not adjusting to their best player killing us.

Caldwell did improve 2nd half of season

I give him next season

Kelce is just a beast

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 10:21 PM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

Is the problem Caldwell, personnel or both?? Walker is raw and seems to be a boom or bust. Allen is a good football player but isn’t a “game changer” imo. Hamilton has been disappointing generating inside pressure.

I do agree with you guys that say Caldwell has a couple of players out of position.

Biggest needs defensively in no order:
- Interior pass rusher
- Safety
- Corner
- Edge (guessing their will be quite a few disagreements with me on this one)

Players come and go. Coaches come and go. Schemes come and go. Yet they still can't cover a [BLEEP] TE no matter what.

(01-21-2023, 10:15 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Caldwell did improve 2nd half of season

I give him next season

Kelce is just a beast

Naw.   Turnovers helped our defensive performances more than anything Caldwell did imo.    Too often our linebackers looked lost in coverage, and the secondary have been poor tacklers.

It's going to take me a long time to forget Detroit.

Half decent QBs and offensive coordinators don't have to work hard.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

Nobody can cover Kelce. It's rare. The only team that really kept him in check was the Raiders during the regular season. He's an elite player with an elite QB and coach.

Scheme wise I think Caldwell is just either too busy or too laidback at times and thats due to being a first time play caller. He doesn't know how to use his personnel perfectly just yet.

My biggest issue. And, again, not sure if its on him at all. But. Why did we wait so long to move Williams outside after Herndon struggled? Why did we decide to play a pair of first round picks out of position?

Walker should have been inside with his hands in the dirt all year. Lloyd should have been at weakside all year instead of inside where he struggled in coverage.

I am curious as to the who's and how's with that. It took way too long for this defense to click and when they did it was honestly against subpar teams and subpar QBs.

I just dont know who you cut Caldwell loose for and replace him with.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."