Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell has to learn from this!

Makes zero sense....
https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco/status/1...7524523008

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023, 10:59 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-21-2023, 10:47 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Makes zero sense....
Yeah. Couple that with Kelce getting open. He had a [BLEEP] ton of catches tonight. Most of it was him blocking and then getting open uncontested. McKinnon also had some nice protection blocks thrown.

They killed us all night with the same approach. Just out coached really. We might need a veteran DC soon. Mike Zimmer would be ideal. I like Jim Leonhard out of Wisconsin as well.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Bruh....

If he comes back for next season I highly doubt we go farther than we did this year.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

I'm sure the defense wishes it played better, especially against Kelse, however the issue with pass rush is nothing new. It has been an issue all season. 

The Jags rank 25th in team sacks per game. Philadelphia and Kansas City are No. 1 and No. 2 in that category.

Defending the middle of the field against crossing routes has also been a challenge. 

Blitzing Mahomes, even with a bad leg, could have put the game out of reach very quickly.

Hopefully, Walker will get better as a pass rusher. You can also try to draft for more rush. You can never have enough pass rush.

The defense is also pretty young and did play better later in the season. The defense won the Titans game -- no playoffs without that win.

In the Chargers game, despite all those turnovers on offense, the defense kept the LA out of the end zone several times. They don't step up and there is no comeback.

Maybe.  But what happened on those 3?  We may have been burned by big plays by Kelce or Pacheko.

I'm not ready to watch the replay and may never.  Why re-live the pain.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

Can we get a reputable Defensive coordinator to actually use our talent to its potential?

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 04:12 AM by BritJag. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-22-2023, 12:51 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: If he comes back for next season I highly doubt we go farther than we did this year.

What makes you think he cannot get better after his very first year (or technically 5 months) at the job? After helping the team limit the league's best offense to below their league average, in a game in which his team's offense did not play well? And in a year in which the team overachieved, with the defense outrightly winning several games, though they surely lost several too.

Any breakdown on why him in particular would hold the team back from advancing further, even if he gets an upgrade in personnel? To me, his unit kept the team in the game in the second half, despite the lack of rush on the hurt but elusive QB and Kelce's demoralizing impact. They at least covered, prevented big plays, and held the Chiefs to 10 pts in the second half. 

Getting rid of the DC depicts an incredibly short leash for a major cog of a brand new regime, and will send conflicting messages to all parties involved. Don't you think? I don't consider Caldwell exceptional, mind you, but culture building involves many facets. A transitioning squad like Jacksonville has to tread cautiously, in my view.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

What appeared to be the decision to lock down the WRs while covering the TEs in soft zones seemed odd at best, considering who the TE was.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 09:40 AM by cat bells. Edited 2 times in total.)

Once the dust settles I'm sure doug will quietly review the season and how he can improve the team, I'd be surprised if Caldwell was let go after one season. Coaches make mistakes and can learn from them and improve just like players.  It's disappointing of course, and you would hope Caldwell takes something away from last night because it evidently wasn't a particularly strong performance, especially against a team we had already played earlier in the season.

I think the thing more likely to focus attention on his position would be a repeat of this if we play them again early next season. Once, twice and then thrice would start looking like an inability to solve the problem.

A personal sidebar to the situation is for me i always try to look for a close comparison to see if an individual has improved the team. In this situation the closest comparison would be Cullen last year. It would be hard not to look at the two and suggest Cullen did at least as well with less to work with, less experience in some of his big players and placed in an infinitely worse position regarding the culture, atmosphere and environment created around the team by Meyer. Again it's a personal opinion, I'd bet the 'stats' show a big improvement but for me that leaves the opportunity for questions if the unit fails to step on next year.

I was getting extremely mad at easy catches in the zone by kelce. Could have played zone and still stuck a man constantly on their guy who caught 14 easy passes.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 06:54 AM by JagsFanSince95. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-21-2023, 10:18 PM)wg171 Wrote: Is the problem Caldwell, personnel or both?? Walker is raw and seems to be a boom or bust. Allen is a good football player but isn’t a “game changer” imo. Hamilton has been disappointing generating inside pressure.

I do agree with you guys that say Caldwell has a couple of players out of position.

Biggest needs defensively in no order:
- Interior pass rusher
- Safety
- Corner
- Edge (guessing their will be quite a few disagreements with me on this one)

You dont put DE's on Kelce. It's 80/20. Not enough inside pressure largely due to stupid scheming but it's not like we're trotting out a Von Miller or Calais Campbell either. KC could hold at will and never got a flag either, but this team should be used to that.

caldwell should go, we gave up so many points so many times this season.

I was yelling to blitz mahomes all night, we should have went bezerk on him after that injury. But we just sat back and let him pick us apart as if we have the 2000 ravens defense or something.

Not impressed with Caldwell overall… he needs to make tremendous improvements.. the second Mahomes came up lame there should have been a display of 8 to 9 guys at the line of scrimmage blitzing 5-6 selling out to pressure and stop the run as much as possible… we did the opposite … sat back in soft zone/ man free  and rushed 4 majority of time. He is one of the reasons we lost this game.

I don’t know if he teaches very well… seems like a guy who can draw a bunch of good things on a blackboard but when it comes to teaching and getting players to understand how to execute their assignments he comes up short. As evidenced by horribly executed zone coverage all year long.

And for goodness sake don’t count on him to take away or even try to take away one’s best player after having a week to prepare.. no we are just going to do what draws up on the board regardless of personnel and allow non pass coverage defenders to single up against their best players in critical situations.

Not to mention what most saw as key players playing majority of year out of position. 

Maybe he will improve but he has a long way to go. Probably a better assistant / position coach than coordinator at this level. I think late in the year we benifited from playing some qb needy teams (minus chargers). 

But regardless not a fan at all as most games I was hoping our players would bail out our DC for poor decisions rather than watching them benifit from good ones

The flip side of course is i'd also be wary of slipping into turning Caldwell into the jags happy scapegoat.

Discussion and, if neccessary, criticism of the defensive set up (especially against the chiefs) is understandable and inevitable but scapegoating tends to do no one any favours as it masks other areas that can justifiably be looked at as areas for improvement. I certainly wouldn't lose sight of the fact that 

A)... 95% of what the coaching staff has done this year has been tremendous

B)... The team wins and loses as a team. Defensively we were poor against the chiefs, but Caldwell certainly isn't responsible for the offenses unfortunate propensity for turnovers at bad times, nor for the offenses unfortunate propensity to come out of the traps like a sloth on sedatives...He would have a certain justification in pointing out that both, and certainly the latter, doesn't do his defence any favours.

Caldwell's inexperience as a play caller showed last night and he got schooled by the best in the business. Reid calls the shots most of the time. Bieniemy sometimes tags in.

It did bother me that Kelce was getting away with the same routine all night. Block for a second or two and then release, find the open zone, sit and wait. He had it all damn night. The Chiefs had something like 10:00 - 13:00 minutes more of time of possesion and it was because of short change work like that all night.

He had the right idea in the 1st half. Which is what I was looking for and called for. They were running Robber coverages and rotating Jenkins and Cisco in that role over the middle to help rush Mahomes and shorten Kelce's effectiveness.

What kills me is the sudden change up in the second half. They really needed to start sending 5 at that point while playing more man on the outside and doubling Kelce. You could have had Walker work him at the line, then blitz Mahomes while Cisco or Campbell try to come up on him in zone or man.

If you go and look at how the Raiders schemed against him in their two games. Yes. Kelce got them a few times in the redzone. However, that's the tendency there. You jam him, you hit him and you double him to keep him from killing you to get inside the redzone.

Why we didn't do that? Especially with a hobbled Mahomes. Blood was in the water and Caldwell called the sharks off. It's incomprehensible.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 09:45 AM by JagCard. Edited 1 time in total.)

Two words, Aiden Hutchinson.  Baalke saw Walker’s athleticism and assumed he could be developed. The guy is a career disappointment who will always be a step late in getting there.  Missing on an overall numbat one hurts for years down the road.

Walkers still a rookie coming into a historically bad team learning (essentially) to play in a different position... He might pan out, he might not but let's give him a proper chance to develop with Pederson and see where it goes!

Those are my three questions still and I had them all season.

1. Why was Walker made to play outside when he predominately excelled at Georgia playing inside.

2. Why was Lloyd made to play inside when he predominately excelled at Utah playing outside.

3. Why did it take multiple weeks of getting burned on the outside with Griffin and Herndon in coverage until Williams, a guy that actually excelled in L.A on the outside, to be moved back outside.

Is that ALL on Caldwell? Or, is some of that on Baalke?

(01-22-2023, 09:57 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Those are my three questions still and I had them all season.

1. Why was Walker made to play outside when he predominately excelled at Georgia playing inside.

2. Why was Lloyd made to play inside when he predominately excelled at Utah playing outside.

3. Why did it take multiple weeks of getting burned on the outside with Griffin and Herndon in coverage until Williams, a guy that actually excelled in L.A on the outside, to be moved back outside.

Is that ALL on Caldwell? Or, is some of that on Baalke?

College players aren't finished products. 
The guys in the first two points of your list were used as Swiss army knives by their college programs to some degree. It's not abnormal for young players like that to be projected to positions based on traits. This is nothing new or unconventional. 
It's too early to write the book on either but Walker looks like he'd be a really good 4-3 DE right now and Lloyd looks like he'd make a nice will LB in a 4-3.  Baalke by all accounts worked with the coaches on these picks and Campbell seemed over the moon happy in his predraft and post draft pressers. I think Caldwell wanted these guys and thought they'd plug and play at these spots. I'm sure he didn't think the learning curve would be so steep. 

Personally, I'm accused of being a patient apologist sometimes, but this is one of those situations where I see rare athleticism in both of these players and I'm good with letting them develop. I like the upside on both tremendously and think they'll be long term starters. 

Caldwell should have had Williams outside as soon as Griffin got torched and "injured." No excuses there IMO.

Now... is it going to be Caldwell and the current coaches developing them? I just don't know where that discussion is between Pederson and Baalke right now. 
I think the most likely solution is going to be a minor shakeup at one or two position coach spots, but it wouldn't shock me if they move on from Caldwell and 3 or 4 of his position guys either.