Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(02-04-2023, 08:04 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 10:33 AM)IKhan't Wrote: There is no way I re-sign Josh Allen next year. We drafted him thinking he was gonna be an elite pass rusher and although he's been good, he's certainly not been the player we thought he'd be. Ever since his rookie year, he's been a letdown. No doubt he's gonna command a very big contract, because edge rushers always get over-inflated deals. I don't want to commit big money to a player who has 1 or 2 big games each year and then disappears for the next 4-5 games at a time. It's time for us to admit, we were wrong about this guy (me included) and move on. That money could be used on better players. I'm hoping we find a stud edge rusher for the foreseeable future in this draft. There are some pretty good ones out there. We just need to finally identify the right one.

Ah the classic ol, lets let a good young player go at a premium position and hope we can just replace him in the draft LOL. Because that has worked out for us plenty of times before right? lolol

You don't replace young pass rushers, instead you continue to ADD more pass rushers around the guys you already have.

(02-04-2023, 07:49 PM)IKhan't Wrote: He's not really good. He's good. He's also extremely inconsistent. That's been our problem for a long time on many areas within the defense, inconsistency. It's time to change that. I wouldn't waste cap money on inconsistent players. It's time to start "swinging for the fences" and looking for players we can center this defense around.

Should it though? Walker is a 3-4 DE/4-3 DT playing out of position at 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE. Maybe if we actually move him to where he should be playing, we could maximize his potential.

Which is why I would use 2-3 picks in this draft on O-Linemen. Create competition.

They just spent $200m in one free agency last year... I'd say that's swinging for the fences.

It hasn't worked out because we've been drafting the wrong guys. Maybe we'd better take a look at our scouting department and the guys in charge of drafting the players and make some changes then. All the successful teams in the NFL draft star players and add to the mixture via free agency. Kansas City drafted Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, Nick Bolton, L'Jarius Sneed and Chris Jones. Philly drafted Jalen Hurts, DeVonta Smith, Dallas Goedert, Jason Kelce, Jordan Mailata, Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham. You build winning teams by drafting star players like this.  

You build a good team via the draft and then fill needs in free agency. That's how you keep a good core of players together. Just simply buying a bunch of expensive free agents only helps in the short term.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2023, 01:12 AM by IKhan't. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-04-2023, 08:54 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 07:49 PM)IKhan't Wrote: He's not really good. He's good. He's also extremely inconsistent. That's been our problem for a long time on many areas within the defense, inconsistency. It's time to change that. I wouldn't waste cap money on inconsistent players. It's time to start "swinging for the fences" and looking for players we can center this defense around.

Should it though? Walker is a 3-4 DE/4-3 DT playing out of position at 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE. Maybe if we actually move him to where he should be playing, we could maximize his potential.

Which is why I would use 2-3 picks in this draft on O-Linemen. Create competition.

Interesting.  You seem to think the o-line matters.

It does, especially since that is arguably our biggest weakness on the team that nearly everyone seems to agree on. Do you think it doesn't? When the problem is fixed, then we don't have to use so many picks there. I'd also commit 3 of our picks to the secondary. I'd draft a Nickle corner, a Free Safety to replace Jenkins and another CB in the late rounds of the draft, because this is such a deep CB class and we lack depth at the position.

(02-05-2023, 12:33 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 08:54 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Interesting.  You seem to think the o-line matters.

Yeah reading his posts I had the same thought. I think there's a good chance that's him.

Yall are late.   I've already welcomed him back to the board

(02-04-2023, 08:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 06:03 AM)IKhan't Wrote: They simply pushed it all to this season. That accomplished nothing. They are currently over the cap by $57 million. They restructured everyone last offseason, so that bill is now due. They have no decent starting QB, no way to sign a decent FA QB and they probably won't find one in the draft as they sit at pick #29. They are in a mess.

But it does show that the Jaguars, in spite of being $22 million over the cap right now, can easily create loads of cap space.  

Here's a handy cap calculator.  You can sign players, extend players, and restructure players, and easily get under the cap.  I signed Jawaan Taylor, Evan Engram, and Arden Key, restructured a few guys, and I got under the cap.  Easily.  And I'm still under 2024's projected cap.  It took me less than 5 minutes, and I'm sure I could have done better if I'd exerted just a little effort.  Of course, it's not that simple, but it does show you how it can be done.  

https://overthecap.com/calculator/jacksonville-jaguars

A "simple restructure" can be done unilaterally by the team.  It converts 2023 salary to signing bonus and spreads it over the life of the contract.  So if you want to create, say, $30 million in cap space, you restructure $40 million in salaries.  That's assuming is that the money applied to contracts that had 3 more years to run after 2023.   That sort of restructuring would add $10 million to the cap number for each of the next 3 years, and subtract $30 million from the cap number for 2023.   That's not exactly mortgaging the future.

Kicking the can down the road only means you end up in an endless cycle of restructuring (like the Aints) or you eventually have to let the fair to middling guys (or better) go to restore your cap health.

spreading contracts out further into the future only eats away at future cap money, Do you really want to eat into your future cap for a guy like Taylor? This isn't Lawrence or some franchise LT we're talking about here.

Good teams take care of their cap, even if that means they have to let go of guys that are decent, yet replaceable. Let's try being a good team, I've had enough of the old ways.

Yeah I say let’s go more for the sustained success approach, which requires decent cap management.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2023, 11:36 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

The best way to maintain a good cap is to draft good and be able to draft and develop

We have to continue to draft good.

(02-05-2023, 01:11 AM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 08:54 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Interesting.  You seem to think the o-line matters.

It does, especially since that is arguably our biggest weakness on the team that nearly everyone seems to agree on. Do you think it doesn't? When the problem is fixed, then we don't have to use so many picks there. I'd also commit 3 of our picks to the secondary. I'd draft a Nickle corner, a Free Safety to replace Jenkins and another CB in the late rounds of the draft, because this is such a deep CB class and we lack depth at the position.

Jenkins primarily played strong safety.

Cisco is the primary free safety.

BTW  - IOL and nickel-back are picks I'd like to see happen no later than pick #126. They should be able to find value at those spots before the fourth round ends. I agree there.

Taking a replacement for Jenkins could be good too, but it's going to have to be a guy you feel very good about covering TEs and playing good zone coverage in general - as well as being tough in run support. 

Jenkins is difficult to replace because of the high number of impact plays - but a player who is consistently above average in both run support and coverage would indeed upgrade the position. Consistency is the missing factor to Jenkins' game right now.

(02-06-2023, 11:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The best way to maintain a good cap is to draft good and be able to draft and develop

So we just release the people that we develop?  Because they're going to want to get paid if they are developed.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-06-2023, 12:34 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 11:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The best way to maintain a good cap is to draft good and be able to draft and develop

So we just release the people that we develop?  Because they're going to want to get paid if they are developed.

It's a good problem to have if your team is so stacked that you can't afford to keep them all.  You can also trade them or you get comp picks if they sign elsewhere.  You pick and choose who you want to keep.  But yes, I would love to have that problem every year where we have so many good players that we can't afford to keep them all while of course being smart with the cap.

(02-06-2023, 12:34 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

That's not what was said.

I'll throw in a fiver if need be...
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

(02-05-2023, 12:33 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:

Yeah reading his posts I had the same thought. I think there's a good chance that's him.

I'm just having some fun.  I actually welcome him back too.  I like hearing his perspective.

(02-08-2023, 09:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/eazyengram/status/16...2C6cxkG-KQ

And I love Las Vegas, but I don't work or live there.

(02-08-2023, 09:45 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/eazyengram/status/16...2C6cxkG-KQ

And I love Las Vegas, but I don't work or live there.

He's work and lived his whole career in NY except last year and he's about to be a FA.  Although I think we tag him

(02-08-2023, 09:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:45 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: And I love Las Vegas, but I don't work or live there.

He's work and lived his whole career in NY except last year and he's about to be a FA.  Although I think we tag him
I wouldn't put any stock into that tweet. If anything, he's up there just visiting. He's from Georgia and went to Ole Miss so if anything, he's a southern baby.

And who's going to sign him? The Giants who let him go? Or the Jets who are trying to save money in order to make a run at Rodgers?

(02-08-2023, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:49 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He's work and lived his whole career in NY except last year and he's about to be a FA.  Although I think we tag him
I wouldn't put any stock into that tweet. If anything, he's up there just visiting. He's from Georgia and went to Ole Miss so if anything, he's a southern baby.

And who's going to sign him? The Giants who let him go? Or the Jets who are trying to save money in order to make a run at Rodgers?

Buffalo, he didn't specify NYC.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-08-2023, 10:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I wouldn't put any stock into that tweet. If anything, he's up there just visiting. He's from Georgia and went to Ole Miss so if anything, he's a southern baby.

Buffalo, he didn't specify NYC.
The same Buffalo who gave Dawson Knox a big contract?

Engram isn't signing with a NY team.

(02-08-2023, 10:43 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 10:41 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Buffalo, he didn't specify NYC.
The same Buffalo who gave Dawson Knox a big contract?

[Image: wesley-crusher-joking.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-08-2023, 10:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 10:43 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: The same Buffalo who gave Dawson Knox a big contract?

[Image: wesley-crusher-joking.gif]
I shoulda known! hahah