Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

When can we resign our own players that are FAs?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2023, 06:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: When can we resign our own players that are FAs?

Here you go

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/dat...n-calendar
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 08:31 PM by Newton.)

I think we have to prioritize engram, unless another great TE is available in free agency unexpectedly. I wish we had not resigned cam, but as of now, I think Taylor is gone.

Also, we may still be able to bring in an impact free agent behind just resigning our own if we restructure things.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 09:47 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-22-2023, 08:28 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 06:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: When can we resign our own players that are FAs?

Here you go

I don't see it on there.  What date? I'm drawing a blank for some reason when teams can resign there own players that will be FAs

(01-22-2023, 09:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 08:28 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Here you go

I don't see it on there.  What date?  I'm drawing a blank for some reason when teams can resign there own players that will be FAs

March 13

Who knows how the jags are gonna handle this offseason..... a few obvious cuts. Likely a surprise or two. Baalke has to have a successful draft. This is not the season for any picks from, say, the Colorado school of mines.....

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2023, 11:06 PM by Thewitnessofsolinvictus. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-22-2023, 03:26 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-22-2023, 02:33 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: How the hell r people wanting to cut agnew
 If the $4 million in savings allows them to keep Robertson-Harris or Jenkins, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Cutting Agnew to keep RRH or Jenkins is a no-brainer all right. I prefer roster management to be done with a brain.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2023, 01:36 AM by JagFanatic24.)

I’d keep Agnew and let a guy like RRH walk. Agnew is a game breaker. RRH is not a game breaker.

(01-21-2023, 11:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-21-2023, 11:19 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: yes, it hard to see Jones on this team after next year but we gotta worry about this year first

Here is where stand.

-$20 million over the cap
-Can get it to $7 million under with cuts of Jenkins, Griffin, and RRH. Those are really the only viable options they have that make a dent in the number.

That isn't really enough to upgrade the roster or bring back out UFAs (Taylor, Engram, Key, Smoot)

Here is what spotrac says we can save with restructures.
-Kirk, $9.6 million
-Scherff, $6.1 million
-Oluokon, $6.5 million
-Williams, $4.9 million
-Fatukasi, $3.7 million

now, I have zero idea if there are more ways to restructure a contract for a player that would save a different amount, but we'll just go with this. In a perfect world three of those guys will restructure to give us some breathing room. But impossible to say. And we can't forget Allen, Hamilton, and Ridley are UFAs in 2024, so they'll need to make sure to leave wiggle room for them.

Some tough choices for sure will be made and I'm sure some that will really upset some fans,
Won't upset me at all as long as they finally do what's right and that's build around it's actual strengths. Premium picks need to go towards the offense.

Defensively it becomes easier to play the game you want to play when your offense scores so many damn points or can score quickly enough that your opponent is forced into being one dimensional.

Bolstering the interior offensive line should be the goal this year. Getting any additional skill players with mismatch potential and speed should be the goal this year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I’d rather just take the best player available. For what it’s worth, the Jaguars allowed 1,087 yards receiving by TE’s in 2022. The 3rd most in the league. The only 2 TDs scored in the divisional round by the Chiefs was Kelce. Kelce also set the TE record for catches in a playoff game with 14. 

Just give me the best player available and let the chips fall.

(01-22-2023, 02:33 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: How the hell r people wanting to cut agnew

Well, for starters, the no contact fumble inside the 5 is unforgivable in a playoff game. Also, special teams on top teams just isn't really a priority, KC's ST squad is kinda [BLEEP]. Get a good kicker, decent punter, and fill in the rest. Unless you have Devin Hester, every KR/PR is replaceable. If it means you keep a strong piece like RRH you gotta pull the trigget and cut Agnew. Let him go fumble in a critical spot on some other team.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 04:47 AM by Jag88. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-23-2023, 02:01 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:

Well, for starters, the no contact fumble inside the 5 is unforgivable in a playoff game. Also, special teams on top teams just isn't really a priority, KC's ST squad is kinda [BLEEP]. Get a good kicker, decent punter, and fill in the rest. Unless you have Devin Hester, every KR/PR is replaceable. If it means you keep a strong piece like RRH you gotta pull the trigget and cut Agnew. Let him go fumble in a critical spot on some other team.

Tough words on Agnew. I like both rrh and Agnew. I have no clue about the cap space as I have not looked at it, but I understand it’s going to be tight. Have to get #17 back. He fits too well into this offense.

That fumble hurt… really bad. I thought that we were looking at comeback win #6 in the eye, and then that happened.

We do seem to have a lot of cap space tied up in WR/TE (assuming Engram is re-signed). I think this definitely shows the need to look to the draft at some point to fill the positions to lower the cap hit. Whether that be early-middle this year or next year. Watching Burrow and Chase on Sunday and thinking damn, it would be good to have a top rookie tied to Trevor (we do have Ettiene I suppose if that counts)

I think we've seen enough to commit to Trevor, that means getting the succession planning on offence ready for the next few years knowing that we need to lower the cap hit and that Trevor's contract is potentially only a year away. I reckon draft a TE high, sign Engram with room to escape in two years when the rookie TE has reached a point where he can replace him (if needed). Draft at least one mid round receiver for depth with a hope they hit. Can take the year to assess Ridley to see whether he is still the player he was and then regardless need to be drafting a receiver high in 2024 to eventually replace Kirk/Ridley.

I think the strategy has to be having one top receiver at WR that is paid that way, a good 2nd that is paid mid money and a highly drafted one that is the long term plan at the position as per what the Chiefs have done.

Either way succession planning is going to be key now we've had the short term leap.

(01-23-2023, 08:07 AM)wassy04 Wrote: We do seem to have a lot of cap space tied up in WR/TE (assuming Engram is re-signed). I think this definitely shows the need to look to the draft at some point to fill the positions to lower the cap hit. Whether that be early-middle this year or next year. Watching Burrow and Chase on Sunday and thinking damn, it would be good to have a top rookie tied to Trevor (we do have Ettiene I suppose if that counts)

I think we've seen enough to commit to Trevor, that means getting the succession planning on offence ready for the next few years knowing that we need to lower the cap hit and that Trevor's contract is potentially only a year away. I reckon draft a TE high, sign Engram with room to escape in two years when the rookie TE has reached a point where he can replace him (if needed). Draft at least one mid round receiver for depth with a hope they hit. Can take the year to assess Ridley to see whether he is still the player he was and then regardless need to be drafting a receiver high in 2024 to eventually replace Kirk/Ridley.

I think the strategy has to be having one top receiver at WR that is paid that way, a good 2nd that is paid mid money and a highly drafted one that is the long term plan at the position as per what the Chiefs have done.

Either way succession planning is going to be key now we've had the short term leap.

This. This is why I am saying you keep building around Lawrence and you find pass rushing talent later on in the draft. Buffalo has Diggs and Knox. That's about it. They struggled the most out of the teams remaining in the play-off's. The Bengals made an effort to get Chase, Higgins and Hurst involved offensively. They went out and addressed their offensive line to the best of their abilities to protect Burrow and it worked out great. The Chiefs have Kelce and everything else really boils down to Mahomes and Reid calling and running a phenomenal offense together. 

Look at the NFC teams. They're all front loaded on offense with stellar offensive lineman up front. The 49ers installed Mr. Irrelevant into their offense and kept it going with Kittle, McCaffrey and Samuel. Aiyuk also sneaks up on you and gets streaky and even their back up RB's are solid. But, the offensive line is awesome. Philadelphia has a stellar offensive line. They have Brown, Smith and Goedert. 

Sure. Kirk, Engram and Jones all contributed pretty well as first year players on a new team and new coaching staff. Was impressive. However, the offensive line's inconsistencies caught up to this team from time to time and the Chiefs, once again, had their way with us up front. Lost count on how many times Lawrence had somebody in his face or right on him. Can't win like that deep in the play-off's. 

The Bengals imposed their will on the Bills yesterday. When they wanted to run it late? At will? They did it. The 49ers closed their game out late. Why? Purdy had all day to get rid of it late in the game and McCaffrey finished it out? Why? Because the offensive line imposed their will. We have a mix bag of players on our offensive line but it lacks consistency due to injuries and lack of experience. 

There has to be a back up plan to get this resolved in the event Fortner doesn't step up, Scherff continues to slide down, Robinson struggles at staying healthy at LT, LG being a revolving door with underwhelming performance. Again, a lot of those issues were masked due to play calling and quick releases. Still lead in drops all season as well. 

Need to go the Bill Polian route like he did with Peyton Manning. Offense early and often until the line is consistently good enough to give Lawrence more time in the pocket to where double digit wins are routine.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2023, 10:07 AM by wassy04. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-23-2023, 09:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 08:07 AM)wassy04 Wrote: We do seem to have a lot of cap space tied up in WR/TE (assuming Engram is re-signed). I think this definitely shows the need to look to the draft at some point to fill the positions to lower the cap hit. Whether that be early-middle this year or next year. Watching Burrow and Chase on Sunday and thinking damn, it would be good to have a top rookie tied to Trevor (we do have Ettiene I suppose if that counts)

This. This is why I am saying you keep building around Lawrence and you find pass rushing talent later on in the draft. Buffalo has Diggs and Knox. That's about it. They struggled the most out of the teams remaining in the play-off's. The Bengals made an effort to get Chase, Higgins and Hurst involved offensively. They went out and addressed their offensive line to the best of their abilities to protect Burrow and it worked out great. The Chiefs have Kelce and everything else really boils down to Mahomes and Reid calling and running a phenomenal offense together. 

Look at the NFC teams. They're all front loaded on offense with stellar offensive lineman up front. The 49ers installed Mr. Irrelevant into their offense and kept it going with Kittle, McCaffrey and Samuel. Aiyuk also sneaks up on you and gets streaky and even their back up RB's are solid. But, the offensive line is awesome. Philadelphia has a stellar offensive line. They have Brown, Smith and Goedert. 

Sure. Kirk, Engram and Jones all contributed pretty well as first year players on a new team and new coaching staff. Was impressive. However, the offensive line's inconsistencies caught up to this team from time to time and the Chiefs, once again, had their way with us up front. Lost count on how many times Lawrence had somebody in his face or right on him. Can't win like that deep in the play-off's. 

The Bengals imposed their will on the Bills yesterday. When they wanted to run it late? At will? They did it. The 49ers closed their game out late. Why? Purdy had all day to get rid of it late in the game and McCaffrey finished it out? Why? Because the offensive line imposed their will. We have a mix bag of players on our offensive line but it lacks consistency due to injuries and lack of experience. 

There has to be a back up plan to get this resolved in the event Fortner doesn't step up, Scherff continues to slide down, Robinson struggles at staying healthy at LT, LG being a revolving door with underwhelming performance. Again, a lot of those issues were masked due to play calling and quick releases. Still lead in drops all season as well. 

Need to go the Bill Polian route like he did with Peyton Manning. Offense early and often until the line is consistently good enough to give Lawrence more time in the pocket to where double digit wins are routine.

TE, O-line, WR in draft, need to get more rookies into these key positions. Get out from under the Cam/Kirk (depending on Ridley, draftees etc) contracts in 2024. Fortner worries me too, can he step up or do we just go again in that position in mid round of draft. You probably have to give him another year and hope he improves, can't really give up on rookies so early but it's a worry.

We do obvously need to find a way to stop TEs too, can't be the worst in the league at that and expect to make it deep in playoffs. Not sure whether that's a scheme issue or personnel or both. Maybe one to try and fix in FA (somehow). Agree though ultimately fix the offence in the draft and plug the defence in FA/later in the draft. Plus we have some high picks already on rookie deals on the defence so we need to get the best out of them rather than add to them. Ie not drafting push rush although I get that is probably not popular.

Anyway, my main point was the best teams succession plan at the key positions (which tbf we have done sort of unintentionally with Little) so you don't have to panic buy in FA and can also let your players walk if necessary and get lots of comp picks. Players like Cam, Kirk etc on big contracts will get high comp picks if/when they leave. Then if the succession plans don't work, that's when you turn to FA or big trades if a real opportunity appears.

If we're picking between trying to improve O-Line or Pass rush, I choose O-Line all day. Rely on scoring lots of points and then defence will have more opportunities to attack as teams will be throwing more. Therefore pressure will likely be more effective jsut situationally. A bit like the Lions this year, basically the worst secondary in the year first half the season but as the offence improved the defence improved just through having better field positions and better chances to get home.

Anyway good luck Trent...

This will sound crazy but it may work in the long run. Could you make Cam a post June 1st cut and resign Taylor?

It is $26 million dead cap but split over 2 seasons at $13 it is more manageable and saves $9 million on the cap for 2023.

Yes you are just putting off the $13 dead cap into 2024, but if the 22 draft class actually makes some off season improvements and the 23 draft class has a few hits, the team would have the flexibility to manage it.

Could Cam play guard? Could just be an expensive LG stop gap for a year

I think you at least play him at right tackle.

Why do people keep bringing up Griffith? We know he’s gone. He got black balled some how this season. He was “hurt” or he wasn’t. Confusing.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 08:39 AM by Caldrac.)

(01-24-2023, 04:45 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Why do people keep bringing up Griffith? We know he’s gone. He got black balled some how this season. He was “hurt” or he wasn’t. Confusing.

It was a bit of both with Griffin. Getting scorched by a rookie WR on the road in Indy was the straw that broke his back and this team's back apparently. Which is fair. He's been pretty lackluster and [BLEEP] since he's been here. Certainly not worth the $20M+ hit he had on the cap last year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."