Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(01-23-2023, 01:32 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’d keep Agnew and let a guy like RRH walk. Agnew is a game breaker. RRH is not a game breaker.

(01-21-2023, 11:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Won't upset me at all as long as they finally do what's right and that's build around it's actual strengths. Premium picks need to go towards the offense.

Defensively it becomes easier to play the game you want to play when your offense scores so many damn points or can score quickly enough that your opponent is forced into being one dimensional.

Bolstering the interior offensive line should be the goal this year. Getting any additional skill players with mismatch potential and speed should be the goal this year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I’d rather just take the best player available. For what it’s worth, the Jaguars allowed 1,087 yards receiving by TE’s in 2022. The 3rd most in the league. The only 2 TDs scored in the divisional round by the Chiefs was Kelce. Kelce also set the TE record for catches in a playoff game with 14. 

Just give me the best player available and let the chips fall.

And that's after u spent a 1st rd pick 3rd rd pick and a high priced free agent @ linebacker....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I say keep building the offensive line. Long term the most important thing is to keep Trevor healthy.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 09:18 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-24-2023, 09:03 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 01:32 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’d keep Agnew and let a guy like RRH walk. Agnew is a game breaker. RRH is not a game breaker.

I’d rather just take the best player available. For what it’s worth, the Jaguars allowed 1,087 yards receiving by TE’s in 2022. The 3rd most in the league. The only 2 TDs scored in the divisional round by the Chiefs was Kelce. Kelce also set the TE record for catches in a playoff game with 14. 

And that's after u spent a 1st rd pick 3rd rd pick and a high priced free agent @ linebacker....

Plus Fatukasi to help out in run defense to enable the linebackers to focus more on coverages in those odd situations where it could be run or pass. Walker was also taken first overall because he honestly provided more insurance in the run defense department more so in the pass rushing department. 

We can't keep backfilling the same positions on defense. Especially with the age and durability concerns along our offensive line. Even with our struggling defense and first time coordinator we still managed to hang around in some games because of the offensive play in general. 

We couldn't hang with the Chiefs though because they were getting after Lawrence with relative ease and the few times he had time in the pocket? He was throwing 60+ bombs and dimes here and there. Mahomes had a bum ankle and their offensive line still kept the wolves at bay. Granted, that's 50/50 on them playing well and Caldwell for taking his foot off the gas. 

I get it. Defense surrendered 3 points in the 2nd half. That's great. They also allowed Kelce to bleed them out slowly all night to the tune of damn near an entire quarter of football being in their favor time of possession wise because you simply kept bending and bending instead of trying to break Mahomes down even further when blood was in the water. 

I would rather see our interior offensive line group bolstered back up more than anything first and then we start looking for the big bodies along the D-line that can push in RD3/RD4 and then we start looking for the special edge rushers or nickel CB's. 

Mahomes and Burrow are playing in a AFCC against each other again because of their offensive line play down the stretch. Doesn't hurt having guys like Kelce, Chase and Higgins to sling the rock to as well but it all starts up front. As this game ALWAYS [BLEEP] has. Even our 90's run. That started with guys like Boselli and Searcy.

Guys like Walker, Lloyd, Fatukasi, Muma, Williams, Campbell and Cisco need to continue to flourish and step up. Just based on draft value and contract value. They're the guys that have to continue to step up. So we can focus our attention on what would really put this team over the top.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-24-2023, 09:13 AM)Newton Wrote: I say keep building the offensive line. Long term the most important thing is to keep Trevor healthy.
Agreed.

I am going offense for the first 3 picks most likely in this draft. In no particular order:

1. TE
2. Oline
3. WR

I know we are all very excited for Ridley. He's one of the best route runners and separators in the league.... Or at least he used to be. We still don't know what kind of player he is going to be and please don't bring up his workout videos. That means nothing. If Addison or Quentin Johnson are there at 24, I might pull the trigger.

(01-24-2023, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 09:13 AM)Newton Wrote: I say keep building the offensive line. Long term the most important thing is to keep Trevor healthy.
Agreed.

I am going offense for the first 3 picks most likely in this draft. In no particular order:

1. TE
2. Oline
3. WR

I know we are all very excited for Ridley. He's one of the best route runners and separators in the league.... Or at least he used to be. We still don't know what kind of player he is going to be and please don't bring up his workout videos. That means nothing. If Addison or Quentin Johnson are there at 24, I might pull the trigger.

110% agreed with all of this.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It's going to be some tough decisions made to manage our 2023 cap. We're going to release key players at key positions. Also resigning players such as A. Key, J. Taylor and E. Engram, just to name a few, will be hard to do w/respect to our existing cap space. Like others have eluded to, our 2023 NFL Draft needs to be on point. We have to hit on most if not all of the selections.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 11:17 AM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

Question:

We all agree that we need to re-Sign Engram, right?

If that's the case, why prioritize a 1st round pick on a TE? To me, that makes no sense. Maybe in 2024 go after a TE in the first. But we're about to put up big money for a veteran TE that played really great ball... Consider that position filled for now and focus on targetting a great O-Lineman in the 1st.

And then why waste another day 1 or 2 pick on a WR??? We have the position handled for 2023 and 2024.

Shouldn't we priortiize the things that have hurt us this season?

O-Line
Pass Rush
Nickle CB

That, seems to me to be priorities instead of stock piling WRs and TEs. What am I missing here?

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 11:26 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-24-2023, 11:11 AM)carp8dm Wrote: Question:

If that's the case, why prioritize  a 1st round pick on a TE?  To me, that makes no sense.  Maybe in 2024 go after a TE in the first.  But we're about to put up big money for a veteran TE that played really great ball...  Consider that position filled for now and focus on targetting a great O-Lineman in the 1st.

And then why waste another day 1 or 2 pick on a WR???  We have the position handled for 2023 and 2024. 

O-Line
Pass Rush
Nickle CB

That, seems to me to be priorities instead of stock piling WRs and TEs.  What am I missing here?

First round pick for me at the moment is boiling down to Torrence if he's there for a guard spot. If he's not there? And a guy like Mayer IS there at TE? I am taking Mayer. You can match him up with Engram in a lot of various sets and it would enable this offense in general to do a whole lot more as a team. 

A lot of the stuff that Pederson did in Philadelphia revolved around a pair of TE's that could move the chains. NOW, imagine that here + the receiving core and chemistry that Lawrence has already established with guys like Kirk and Zay Jones. Just gives us another interesting dynamic. 

You have to keep thinking ahead man. Think about it. Every team now has a full 17 game season to look at this offense for 2023 + the two play-off contests to really see what they like to do from time to time. Teams are going to focus on tendencies and then aim to break those said tendencies. 

Best way to get ahead of that is by introducing a new wrinkle into the offense and bolstering the interior offensive line play. Mayer would be a good pick there in RD1. Torrence though, he's my first go to. I think a Nickel CB like Riley Moss in RD4 or Zach Harrison in RD3 or Karl Brooks in RD4 would be good pick-up's edge rusher wise.

(01-24-2023, 09:03 AM)jj82284 Wrote:

I noticed Josh Allen covering Kelce a few times Saturday, i've noticed him in coverage way more than i'd like actually.. I still think we should run a 4-3.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 12:12 PM by imtheblkranger.)

There are always ways. Always.

Jenkins is a $6m savings, I'm not sure he gets cut anymore, and I don't want him to. Also RRH would save $8m to cut. Shaq obviously is gone and that's $13m. We're $28m over which already includes Ridley's last year number

You restructure some guy and kick the can down the road a bit. We currently have $56m in 2024 and $250m in 2025 you can tap into, obviously knowing we have to extend TLaw by 2025. We'll be fine. I don't see any scenario where they let cap space impede the ability to surround Trevor with talent. Engram wants to stay, he's publicly said it. You can structure things in all sorts of ways to manipulate the cap. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Kirk/Scherff/Cam possibly restructure this offseason.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-23-2023, 04:33 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: This will sound crazy but it may work in the long run. Could you make Cam a post June 1st cut and resign Taylor?

It is $26 million dead cap but split over 2 seasons at $13 it is more manageable and saves $9 million on the cap for 2023.

Yes you are just putting off the $13 dead cap into 2024, but if the 22 draft class actually makes some off season improvements and the 23 draft class has a few hits, the team would have the flexibility to manage it.

Post June 1 cut would result in 21 mil (16 salary+5 bonus)  dead in 2023 and 5 mil (bonus) dead in 2024. You end up only saving 1 mil cap for 2023
If trying to move on from Cam then a post 6/1 trade would be best:
2023 Dead Cap: $5,000,000
2024 Dead Cap: $5,000,000
2023 Cap Savings: $17,117,638

vs

Pre 6/1 trade:
2023 Dead Cap: $10,000,000
2023 Cap Savings: $12,117,638

So essentially we will see Cam traded or his Salary gets restructured into bonuses. I think both parties would be fine restructuring the salary since its guaranteed anyways

(01-24-2023, 11:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 11:11 AM)carp8dm Wrote: Question:

If that's the case, why prioritize  a 1st round pick on a TE?  To me, that makes no sense.  Maybe in 2024 go after a TE in the first.  But we're about to put up big money for a veteran TE that played really great ball...  Consider that position filled for now and focus on targetting a great O-Lineman in the 1st.

And then why waste another day 1 or 2 pick on a WR???  We have the position handled for 2023 and 2024. 

O-Line
Pass Rush
Nickle CB

That, seems to me to be priorities instead of stock piling WRs and TEs.  What am I missing here?

First round pick for me at the moment is boiling down to Torrence if he's there for a guard spot. If he's not there? And a guy like Mayer IS there at TE? I am taking Mayer. You can match him up with Engram in a lot of various sets and it would enable this offense in general to do a whole lot more as a team. 

A lot of the stuff that Pederson did in Philadelphia revolved around a pair of TE's that could move the chains. NOW, imagine that here + the receiving core and chemistry that Lawrence has already established with guys like Kirk and Zay Jones. Just gives us another interesting dynamic. 

You have to keep thinking ahead man. Think about it. Every team now has a full 17 game season to look at this offense for 2023 + the two play-off contests to really see what they like to do from time to time. Teams are going to focus on tendencies and then aim to break those said tendencies. 

Best way to get ahead of that is by introducing a new wrinkle into the offense and bolstering the interior offensive line play. Mayer would be a good pick there in RD1. Torrence though, he's my first go to. I think a Nickel CB like Riley Moss in RD4 or Zach Harrison in RD3 or Karl Brooks in RD4 would be good pick-up's edge rusher wise.
I completely agrre with Torrence if he is there, even trading up a couple spots possibly to get him. Not sure he lasts that long though. As for Mayer, we have (hopefully) Engram for years to come. What I would like is a big body TE like Washington for UGA. Dude is a very good blocker and I feel underrated as a receiver, partly because of Bowers. I seem to remember he projects as late 2nd round so that, to me, would be perfect. Back to the 1st round. If Torrence isn't there at say 21 I am not up on who else is a 1st round level IOL but would look to that position for sure. A lot of talk about adding another WR despite Ridley coming in, but I would not. All of that said, Offense with the first two picks and then look at defensive value after that, especially for a nickel CB.

As said before, cuts wise we don't have much that saves us big chunks of cap. It's mainly 

Griffin- $13.1m
RRH- $7.8m
Rayshawn-$6.5m
Agnew- $4.7m

Then a few players like Hamilton or Shatley that are like $2.5m so not great savings.

What's interesting is looking at cap hits from trades. Now just looking at potential cap savings for a trade.

Darious Williams- $11.5m
Josh Allen -$10.8m

Now every guy listed was a starter last year except Griffin so no easy cuts but we do have some options and then there's restructuring etc so I don't think we are in a bad spot here.

(01-24-2023, 12:14 PM)jagshype Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 04:33 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: This will sound crazy but it may work in the long run. Could you make Cam a post June 1st cut and resign Taylor?

It is $26 million dead cap but split over 2 seasons at $13 it is more manageable and saves $9 million on the cap for 2023.

Yes you are just putting off the $13 dead cap into 2024, but if the 22 draft class actually makes some off season improvements and the 23 draft class has a few hits, the team would have the flexibility to manage it.

Post June 1 cut would result in 21 mil (16 salary+5 bonus)  dead in 2023 and 5 mil (bonus) dead in 2024. You end up only saving 1 mil cap for 2023
If trying to move on from Cam then a post 6/1 trade would be best:
2023 Dead Cap: $5,000,000
2024 Dead Cap: $5,000,000
2023 Cap Savings: $17,117,638

vs

Pre 6/1 trade:
2023 Dead Cap: $10,000,000
2023 Cap Savings: $12,117,638

So essentially we will see Cam traded or his Salary gets restructured into bonuses. I think both parties would be fine restructuring the salary since its guaranteed anyways

Gotcha. Thanks. Still have issues figuring out the NFL CBA.

I think we lower Josh Allen’s hit by resigning and extending him. Good player and definitely better with him than without.

Agnew is interesting. Makes you wonder if we couldn’t draft a mid round gadget guy that does 90% for 20% the pay. Granted 4 mill ain’t a lot. He could be a restructure candidate as well.

Also just thought I'd add players who are becoming FA this offseason.

Engram
Marvin Jones
Smoot
Key 
Manhertz
Arnold
Beathard
Dewey
Jawaan Taylor
Herndon
Gotsis
Hasty
Patterson
Corey Peters
Blake Hance
Brandon Murphy

(01-24-2023, 03:35 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Also just thought I'd add players who are becoming FA this offseason.

Engram (Extend/Keep)
Marvin Jones (Cut)
Smoot (Cut)
Key (Extend/Keep)
Manhertz (Cut)
Arnold (Cut)
Beathard (Cut)
Dewey (Cut)
Jawaan Taylor (Keep/Franchise Tag)
Herndon (Cut)
Gotsis (Keep if cheap/Otherwise Cut)
Hasty (Cut)
Patterson (Keep)
Corey Peters (Keep if cheap/otherwise cut)
Blake Hance (Cut)
Brandon Murphy (Cut)

Here are my thoughts on the players according to your list.

I'm absolutely prioritizing Engram and Key for new contracts - and Jawaan Taylor if we can author a deal that isn't too back-breaking, otherwise franchise tag him for the year.

The other players are replaceable depth and now that we have emerged as a strong team, we have to make these "tougher" decisions on depth/fringe players that we hadn't faced in a long time. The priority like Baalke said in his presser should be to build through the draft and less on FA.

Focus on restructuring contracts to more team-friendly deals in the current term but avoid going overboard with the cap-space especially as TLaw's inevitable, and warranted, massive contract looms in the future.

You aren't cutting those guys, they don't have a contract anymore.

Manhertz, Dewey, Herndon, and Hasty probably come back on low end vet deals.

Gotsis and Peters are less likely but also would be vet minimum type deals who stick around for camp and PS.

Jones, Smoot, Arnold, Beathard are all gone for sure.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Ya'll always tryin to get rid of Dewey in the off season.. Then he ends up stickin around and ya'll go on a Dewey kiss [BLEEP] spree when he does decent.

I don't get some of you guys lol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-23-2023, 03:15 AM)Jag88 Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 02:01 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Well, for starters, the no contact fumble inside the 5 is unforgivable in a playoff game. Also, special teams on top teams just isn't really a priority, KC's ST squad is kinda [BLEEP]. Get a good kicker, decent punter, and fill in the rest. Unless you have Devin Hester, every KR/PR is replaceable. If it means you keep a strong piece like RRH you gotta pull the trigget and cut Agnew. Let him go fumble in a critical spot on some other team.

Tough words on Agnew. I like both rrh and Agnew. I have no clue about the cap space as I have not looked at it, but I understand it’s going to be tight. Have to get #17 back. He fits too well into this offense.
And the issue the jags face is, they likely will have to choose one over the other. For me, a great return man like Agnew is a luxury. And it's one they just can't afford right now. The money saved could help secure Engram with the jags for years to come. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the productive and versatile TE over the kick returner that will produce a catch or two a game as well.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk