Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(01-24-2023, 11:24 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 09:03 AM)jj82284 Wrote: And that's after u spent a 1st rd pick 3rd rd pick and a high priced free agent @ linebacker....

I noticed Josh Allen covering Kelce a few times Saturday, i've noticed him in coverage way more than i'd like actually.. I still think we should run a 4-3.

Jags fans on the internet were asking for a 3-4 for a long time. Now they have that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-24-2023, 11:11 AM)carp8dm Wrote: Question:

We all agree that we need to re-Sign Engram, right? 

If that's the case, why prioritize  a 1st round pick on a TE?  To me, that makes no sense.  Maybe in 2024 go after a TE in the first.  But we're about to put up big money for a veteran TE that played really great ball...  Consider that position filled for now and focus on targetting a great O-Lineman in the 1st.

And then why waste another day 1 or 2 pick on a WR???  We have the position handled for 2023 and 2024. 

Shouldn't we priortiize the things that have hurt us this season? 

O-Line
Pass Rush
Nickle CB

That, seems to me to be priorities instead of stock piling WRs and TEs.  What am I missing here?

I was seriously thinking I was the only one.

(01-24-2023, 06:11 PM)enigma Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 03:35 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Also just thought I'd add players who are becoming FA this offseason.

Engram (Extend/Keep)
Marvin Jones (Cut)
Smoot (Cut)
Key (Extend/Keep)
Manhertz (Cut)
Arnold (Cut)
Beathard (Cut)
Dewey (Cut)
Jawaan Taylor (Keep/Franchise Tag)
Herndon (Cut)
Gotsis (Keep if cheap/Otherwise Cut)
Hasty (Cut)
Patterson (Keep)
Corey Peters (Keep if cheap/otherwise cut)
Blake Hance (Cut)
Brandon Murphy (Cut)

Here are my thoughts on the players according to your list.

I'm absolutely prioritizing Engram and Key for new contracts - and Jawaan Taylor if we can author a deal that isn't too back-breaking, otherwise franchise tag him for the year.

The other players are replaceable depth and now that we have emerged as a strong team, we have to make these "tougher" decisions on depth/fringe players that we hadn't faced in a long time. The priority like Baalke said in his presser should be to build through the draft and less on FA.

Focus on restructuring contracts to more team-friendly deals in the current term but avoid going overboard with the cap-space especially as TLaw's inevitable, and warranted, massive contract looms in the future.

picking nits and all, but you don't need to cut free agents.

(I get what you meant) I might flip Dewey and Taylor's assessments. Dewey will be more affordable and I think Taylor will want more than we got to give. Little proved that he is ready, either shove Cam to the right or put Little back over there, But it's year three and he needs to be on the field more than in relief duties. Part of the pain of getting good is seeing decent players move on.

Cut Dewey? Blasphemy.

We also have the option of prematurely extending Ridley and spreading out that cap hit a bit. Not an awful idea, even he has a down year I can't imagine the team giving up on him after only 1 year back.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Semantics, I know, but we aren't "cutting" these players who are free agents.
We are letting them walk or attempting to retain them with a new deal.
Their contracts are up.

(01-25-2023, 10:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Semantics, I know, but we aren't "cutting" these players who are free agents.
Their contracts are up.

Let Dewey walk? Blasphemy.

(01-25-2023, 10:56 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 10:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Semantics, I know, but we aren't "cutting" these players who are free agents.
Their contracts are up.

Let Dewey walk? Blasphemy.

Thank you.
Big Grin

Wingard is definitely caught up in a numbers game at this point. 

What happens above him on the depth chart money-wise will likely determine whether or not he gets a vet minimum offer to remain in Jax. 
Would be cool if they find a way to keep him, but I'm seeing it as 50/50 at best right now.

(01-25-2023, 02:39 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 11:24 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I noticed Josh Allen covering Kelce a few times Saturday, i've noticed him in coverage way more than i'd like actually.. I still think we should run a 4-3.

Jags fans on the internet were asking for a 3-4 for a long time. Now they have that.

We have a scheme without the right players to run it. Walker isn't a rush 'backer, he's a hand in the dirt RE.  Allen is a Sam. Our other linebackers are better suited for 43 with Foye at Mike and Lloyd as a run and hit Will. Muma is a traditional Mike too. Our linemen, Fatu and DHam, are classic 43 DTs. We don't have any of the right body types in the front 7 to run an effective 34.

(01-25-2023, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 10:56 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: Let Dewey walk? Blasphemy.

Thank you.
Big Grin

What happens above him on the depth chart money-wise will likely determine whether or not he gets a vet minimum offer to remain in Jax. 
Would be cool if they find a way to keep him, but I'm seeing it as 50/50 at best right now.

Dewey, Thomas, and Claybrooks are all Teams vets that could be gone. That could really affect our coverage teams next year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-25-2023, 11:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 02:39 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Jags fans on the internet were asking for a 3-4 for a long time. Now they have that.

We have a scheme without the right players to run it. Walker isn't a rush 'backer, he's a hand in the dirt RE.  Allen is a Sam. Our other linebackers are better suited for 43 with Foye at Mike and Lloyd as a run and hit Will. Muma is a traditional Mike too. Our linemen, Fatu and DHam, are classic 43 DTs. We don't have any of the right body types in the front 7 to run an effective 34.

(01-25-2023, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thank you.
Big Grin

Dewey, Thomas, and Claybrooks are all Teams vets that could be gone. That could really affect our coverage teams next year.

Bolded:
This is becoming more and more apparent. Analysts/bloggers etc. are finally picking up on it. Noticed T-Wigg going there lately.
VERY curious to see how they handle it and what changes take place. They lack that dominant nose tackle on third down to run the 3-4. Fatukasi and Hamilton do OK vs the run, but aren't moving pockets backward or knifing through with any semblance of regularity. As you said - 4-3 DTs. We've got at least 4 players who are square pegs in round holes on the front seven. 

RE: free agents - yes, Claybrooks has become a good gunner. Would be a good retention. Def noticed some good hits and positioning from Thomas too. Unfortunately, ST coaches often have to start from scratch with a fresh batch of back-ups to cobble together their coverage teams. Fingers crossed they can keep a few.

Nobody wants to leave.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023, 04:02 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2023, 01:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Nobody wants to leave.

It's refreshing to see. At one point just five years ago we had the NFLPA coming down on us because of Coughlin's front office antics, and then, we had to deal with the Legend of Urban Miller in 2021. 

It's amazing what ONE coach can do for your team and it's fortunes. This credit belongs to Doug Pederson. More than anybody. Again, said it all season. Your team is an extension of your coaching staff. This team stayed close, unshakeable, competitive and devoted to each other throughout all the trials and tribulations. 

Just like their head football coach. We had Hopkins not too long ago putting it out there that he would want to come and catch passes here or L.A this year. That's good to see out in public. Having a head coach and 2nd year QB generate CAREER years out of three newcomers will ALWAYS catch someone's attention. 

Not just garbage time statistics neither. These were three great career years for three players that really needed it. Hoping like hell they bring Engram back. He's a core guy as far as I am concerned. You cannot let that core fall apart. Not to knock Baalke or anything. But, he nailed these skill positions in last year's market. Whereas, his track records in drafts at these very same positions is very, very questionable.

Would rather let him continue to draft around the lineman positions and find some jars to place on the shelf at the skill positions later on at this point for this team's future.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 05:57 PM by ATLjag. Edited 3 times in total.)

(01-25-2023, 11:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 02:39 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Jags fans on the internet were asking for a 3-4 for a long time. Now they have that.

(01-25-2023, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thank you.
Big Grin

Dewey, Thomas, Claybrooks, Gotsis, and other such free agents provide valuable special teams and backup players.  True, they aren't going to be pro-bowlers, but can be very attractive veteran limited contributors and depth at minimum cost....very valuable for your cap to be able to afford higher paid players. I would try to resign them, but just be prepared to let them walk in a negotiation if someone else wants to pay them more.

Looks like Marvin is definitely gone, expected anyway though:

"Receiver Marvin Jones, a free agent and California native who is moving his family to San Diego this week, loved his two-year stay in Jacksonville. Though he’s looking to sign elsewhere for family reasons, Jones is certain the Jaguars will draw a lot of free agent interest. "
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(01-27-2023, 10:12 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Looks like Marvin is definitely gone, expected anyway though:

"Receiver Marvin Jones, a free agent and California native who is moving his family to San Diego this week, loved his two-year stay in Jacksonville. Though he’s looking to sign elsewhere for family reasons, Jones is certain the Jaguars will draw a lot of free agent interest. "

Full article here:

https://sports.yahoo.com/gene-frenette-j...PZ_2ZWfuG2

high priority are Key, Engram, Manhertz(who is one of the best blocking TEs in the Game)

after that you can start to bring on others are lower end contracts like Smoot, Peters, Winguard.

some guys will need to restructure to make this happen though like Jenkins and possibly Roy and Fatuski.

For some reason there are trade scenarios that bring Ramsey back to Duval. I know he'd have to earn the fans back, but we could use a good CB.

(01-27-2023, 06:05 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: For some reason there are trade scenarios that bring Ramsey back to Duval.  I know he'd have to earn the fans back,  but we could use a good CB.

We have 2 good outside corners.  We just need a slot corner.

(01-27-2023, 06:05 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: For some reason there are trade scenarios that bring Ramsey back to Duval.  I know he'd have to earn the fans back,  but we could use a good CB.

Divas need not apply.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 07:03 PM by The Real Marty.)

I'd never take a guy back who faked an injury in order to force a trade.

(01-27-2023, 10:26 AM)icey14 Wrote: high priority are Key, Engram, Manhertz(who is one of the best blocking TEs in the Game)

after that you can start to bring on others are lower end contracts like Smoot, Peters, Winguard.

some guys will need to restructure to make this happen though like Jenkins and possibly Roy and Fatuski.

Peters says he's going to retire.