Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

(04-18-2023, 12:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I really like Julius Brents for this secondary now. Not sure if he's maybe a 3rd RD guy or early 4th RD guy. He's got the right size and look though to be a solid CB2 opposite of Campbell. He's a big guy that can play zone.

I'd love for the Jags to trade down and collect 5-6 solid contributor prospects like Brents, Mauch, LaPorta, Foskey, etc. in rounds 2-4. 

The only sure-thing possibly available at #24 would be Darnell Wright, but 90% chance he's scooped up well before then.  

Best case scenario other than picking Wright: Levis or Hooker are still on the board when the Jags pick, prompting a desperate team to deal.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-18-2023, 01:16 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 12:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I really like Julius Brents for this secondary now. Not sure if he's maybe a 3rd RD guy or early 4th RD guy. He's got the right size and look though to be a solid CB2 opposite of Campbell. He's a big guy that can play zone.

I'd love for the Jags to trade down and collect 5-6 solid contributor prospects like Brents, Mauch, LaPorta, Foskey, etc. in rounds 2-4. 

The only sure-thing possibly available at #24 would be Darnell Wright, but 90% chance he's scooped up well before then.  

Best case scenario other than picking Wright: Levis or Hooker are still on the board when the Jags pick, prompting a desperate team to deal.

I agree with this. I actually have us doing this in my final mock prediction thread. It makes the most sense to me. Especially with the amount of money we have now kicked out into the future and with some of these contracts due to expire in 2024. 

We're going to have to inevitably make room for Lawrence's megadeal and then if Ridley balls out you're going to want to lock him down for a few years. 

The best way to maintain depth and competent play in the future is by landing your prospects now to develop this season and next season. We can't keep [BLEEP] around on defense with these draft picks. They need to gain picks, restock and keep moving forward.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

No way Brents gets out of the 2nd round. He's one of the fastest risers in this draft. That being said, he'd be one of my top guys in round 2 for the Jaguars if still available due to the factors you mentioned. One thing I know is that there will be some very good players still available in round 2 in positions of need for the Jaguars. Depending on what the Jags do in round 1, I'd hate to have to choose between:

Julius Brents
Clark Phillips
Steve Avila
Cody Mauch
Darnell Washington
Cam Smith

All of these players would present great value in round 2. Can't wait to see what they do in just over 1 week!

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2023, 01:54 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-18-2023, 01:22 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

No way Brents gets out of the 2nd round. He's one of the fastest risers in this draft. That being said, he'd be one of my top guys in round 2 for the Jaguars if still available due to the factors you mentioned. One thing I know is that there will be some very good players still available in round 2 in positions of need for the Jaguars. Depending on what the Jags do in round 1, I'd hate to have to choose between:

Julius Brents
Clark Phillips
Steve Avila
Cody Mauch
Darnell Washington
Cam Smith

All of these players would present great value in round 2. Can't wait to see what they do in just over 1 week!

I would trade down. I agree with DogCatcher here. Feels like there's a weird mix of value once you get past the top twenty this year. Would rather them not reach at a position where the value is really splitting hairs in RD2. If a QB hungry team wants Hooker or Levis I would be more than happy swapping 24 out for a future pick and a boatload of RD2 and/or RD3 selections. Specifically because of that list you have above.

I could get a solid CB, G and TE there in RD2. Easily. Or, I could go DT, DE and G, etc. There's a wide variety of good things to be done there. This would be a good year to trade down. I don't think Darnell Wright slips to us at 24. He's the only guy I would stay put for. From what I keep hearing. It doesn't sound like Torrence is a good fit and he has heavy feet for the scheme we run. 

Then you get really, really big boom/bust types of prospects like Bresee there. I don't know. It'll be fun and interesting draft. We're just about a week away though. Finally.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'd be in favor of trading down. A reasonable deal would give the Jaguars a 2nd and 3rd this year plus a day 2 pick next year. Some team will have to have fallen in love with Herndon Hooker to make this happen.The Jaguars could then add 4 players by the end of day 2 who could contribute immediately. No way to know which players they prefer, but it could be something like this:

Round 2:

Pick 1: Foskey, McDonald, White or Hall

Pick 2: Mauch, or Avilla

Round 3:

Pick 1: Sam LaPorta or Tucker Kraft

Pick 2: Best nickel available ( Garrett Williams, Riley Moss, etc.)

It's possible they prefer taking the nickel first in round 3 if someone like Phillips is available and hope Laporta falls to later. I feel like Laporta would be a great addition, especially if things don't work out with Engram.

Of course, all of this is totally hypothetical and the Jaguars may have totally different plans in mind. Let's just hope Baalke doesn't mess things up.

I'm with yall on trading down. If I could get 2 picks in the early to mid 2nd for our 1st and 3rd I'd do it.would give us 3 2nd round picks. The 2nd round is where the best value is imo.

We could get 3 2nds by trading back to the 2nd round for a 2nd and 3rd. Then use both 3rds and a 4th to trade up into the 2nd.

Foskey, Washington, Dawaand Jones, Mauch. or Avilla. Could use our other 4th to get a solid nickel

(04-18-2023, 01:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 01:22 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: No way Brents gets out of the 2nd round. He's one of the fastest risers in this draft. That being said, he'd be one of my top guys in round 2 for the Jaguars if still available due to the factors you mentioned. One thing I know is that there will be some very good players still available in round 2 in positions of need for the Jaguars. Depending on what the Jags do in round 1, I'd hate to have to choose between:

Julius Brents
Clark Phillips
Steve Avila
Cody Mauch
Darnell Washington
Cam Smith

I would trade down. I agree with DogCatcher here. Feels like there's a weird mix of value once you get past the top twenty this year. Would rather them not reach at a position where the value is really splitting hairs in RD2. If a QB hungry team wants Hooker or Levis I would be more than happy swapping 24 out for a future pick and a boatload of RD2 and/or RD3 selections. Specifically because of that list you have above.

I could get a solid CB, G and TE there in RD2. Easily. Or, I could go DT, DE and G, etc. There's a wide variety of good things to be done there. This would be a good year to trade down. I don't think Darnell Wright slips to us at 24. He's the only guy I would stay put for. From what I keep hearing. It doesn't sound like Torrence is a good fit and he has heavy feet for the scheme we run. 

Then you get really, really big boom/bust types of prospects like Bresee there. I don't know. It'll be fun and interesting draft. We're just about a week away though. Finally.

Bresee is to me the biggest risk/reward player in this draft. It will be interesting to see how far he falls due to injuries plus lack of playing time. I couldn't take him because of the risk involved. On the other hand, he may turn out to be the steal of this draft for the team that selects him.

I was spot checking some mockdrafts that are normally popular around this time of year. Walterfootball, in particular, Charlie Campbell's mock, he has us pissing away two picks at RB. McBride and Spears. Just seems not only overkill, but, not wise usage of selections at a position we are set at. You have Etienne, you extended Hasty, you drafted Conner last year after trading up for him and then you signed Johnson a few weeks ago. There's just no damn way this team is drafting a RB in RD3 and again in RD4.

NFLDraftCountDown also has us taking McBride. In RD3. What the hell is that about? Again, doesn't make any sense considering how much depth we lack on defense across the board and the offensive line needs some work still along with the TE room. Selecting a RB in RD3 and/or two RB's in total in one draft? With just two TE's on the depth chart at the moment in this deep of a TE class?

(04-18-2023, 04:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 01:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I would trade down. I agree with DogCatcher here. Feels like there's a weird mix of value once you get past the top twenty this year. Would rather them not reach at a position where the value is really splitting hairs in RD2. If a QB hungry team wants Hooker or Levis I would be more than happy swapping 24 out for a future pick and a boatload of RD2 and/or RD3 selections. Specifically because of that list you have above.

Bresee is to me the biggest risk/reward player in this draft. It will be interesting to see how far he falls due to injuries plus lack of playing time. I couldn't take him because of the risk involved. On the other hand, he may turn out to be the steal of this draft for the team that selects him.
I agree on the high risk high reward with Bresee.   With that said I see Doug, Baalke, and Caldwell as 3 guys that would gamble on something like that if they feel the high upside.

https://youtu.be/JVM9oAXJCjw

(04-18-2023, 04:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 04:11 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Bresee is to me the biggest risk/reward player in this draft. It will be interesting to see how far he falls due to injuries plus lack of playing time. I couldn't take him because of the risk involved. On the other hand, he may turn out to be the steal of this draft for the team that selects him.
I agree on the high risk high reward with Bresee.   With that said I see Doug, Baalke, and Caldwell as 3 guys that would gamble on something like that if they feel the high upside.

Quite possibly, they would take the risk. No doubt he would fill a need and his physical traits are elite. He has had a lot of adversity and his character is apparently good. All that being said, I'd have to pass due to the injuries.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2023, 10:04 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

The more I watch Cody Mauch the more i want that guy. In a perfect world we trade back and get Mach, with that said id be good with him at 24. I guess im one of the few that dont want Wright. I want my RT to be able to run block and Wright is a poor run blocker. Hes a Jawaan Taylor clone. Mauch is a monster and id honestly rather him than Wright. Mauch could play LG this year and move to tackle next year if needed.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2023, 06:37 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 5 times in total.)

Not only is Wright a poor run blocker but he also has very small hands at 9".  I hope Wright is gone before we pick, I dont want him at 24 the more you look into it.

Mauch at a OT RAS

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=23024&[BLEEP]=OT

Mauch at G 9.87 RAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSeumde-Wa4

(04-19-2023, 06:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not only is Wright a poor run blocker but he also has very small hands at 9".  I hope Wright is gone before we pick, I dont want him at 24 the more you look into it.

Mauch at a OT RAS

Mauch at G 9.87 RAS

Mauch is a really good football player. Been high on him since last year. His versatility and TE background shows that he has great feet for the position. I know some people think he's a RD2 player because of his level of competition but he's a guy that I think could very easily see his name called late on the opening night of the draft next Thursday. 

He could very well end up an Eagle or Chief. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade up to get him. We have a ton of 4th and 6th RD picks. If you have to package up the 3rd RD pick to guarantee yourself a starting quality LG with the potential to flex out to RT or LT in 2024 we should do it. 

It's just hard to figure out what this front office is doing. Out of the 30 visits each team is allocated more than half of them went to pass rushers. I can't think of any of the offensive lineman they have interviewed. Pretty telling and scary IMHO. The front office seems more confident in the current starting lineup than most of us do around here I guess.

Darnell Wright stonewalled Will Anderson.

Couldn't care less about his run blocking because this team is a pass first team. Wright likely goes before the Jags pick so it's a moot point.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2023, 09:21 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-20-2023, 08:52 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Darnell Wright stonewalled Will Anderson.

Couldn't care less about his run blocking because this team is a pass first team. Wright likely goes before the Jags pick so it's a moot point.

Yeah he had a good game against Anderson but I'm not going to draft someone based on one game.  I think Dawand Jones is better than Wright.

Anderson also won a few times in that matchup

(04-20-2023, 07:56 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 06:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not only is Wright a poor run blocker but he also has very small hands at 9".  I hope Wright is gone before we pick, I dont want him at 24 the more you look into it.

Mauch at a OT RAS

Mauch at G 9.87 RAS

Mauch is a really good football player. Been high on him since last year. His versatility and TE background shows that he has great feet for the position. I know some people think he's a RD2 player because of his level of competition but he's a guy that I think could very easily see his name called late on the opening night of the draft next Thursday. 

He could very well end up an Eagle or Chief. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade up to get him. We have a ton of 4th and 6th RD picks. If you have to package up the 3rd RD pick to guarantee yourself a starting quality LG with the potential to flex out to RT or LT in 2024 we should do it. 

It's just hard to figure out what this front office is doing. Out of the 30 visits each team is allocated more than half of them went to pass rushers. I can't think of any of the offensive lineman they have interviewed. Pretty telling and scary IMHO. The front office seems more confident in the current starting lineup than most of us do around here I guess.

They met with Sidy Sow.  I agree that Mauch could go round one and I think there is less than a 5% chance that he is there for our 2nd round pick

(04-20-2023, 09:26 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 07:56 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Mauch is a really good football player. Been high on him since last year. His versatility and TE background shows that he has great feet for the position. I know some people think he's a RD2 player because of his level of competition but he's a guy that I think could very easily see his name called late on the opening night of the draft next Thursday. 

They met with Sidy Sow.  I agree that Mauch could go round one and I think there is less than a 5% chance that he is there for our 2nd round pick

Mauch is definitely one of my favorites, also. He has been compared to Cole Strange who the Patriots surprisingly selected in round 1 last season. Both are from "smaller" schools, very athletic and
projected to move to guard in the NFL. Strange had an "up and down" rookie season, but definitely improved significantly at the end of the season. He played every down during the 2022-23 season. 

I don't believe Mauch will get selected until some time in round 2. He'd be the perfect guy to take if the Jaguars can somehow trade back from pick 24 to early in round 2. His ability to fill in at tackle would be very valuable. Like him or not, Darnell Wright will not be available nor will Broderick Jones so Mauch is the player I'd hope to get for the offensive line in round 2.

(04-20-2023, 12:05 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 09:26 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: They met with Sidy Sow.  I agree that Mauch could go round one and I think there is less than a 5% chance that he is there for our 2nd round pick

Mauch is definitely one of my favorites, also. He has been compared to Cole Strange who the Patriots surprisingly selected in round 1 last season. Both are from "smaller" schools, very athletic and
projected to move to guard in the NFL. Strange had an "up and down" rookie season, but definitely improved significantly at the end of the season. He played every down during the 2022-23 season. 

I don't believe Mauch will get selected until some time in round 2. He'd be the perfect guy to take if the Jaguars can somehow trade back from pick 24 to early in round 2. His ability to fill in at tackle would be very valuable. Like him or not, Darnell Wright will not be available nor will Broderick Jones so Mauch is the player I'd hope to get for the offensive line in round 2.

Every year some players go after where they go in the mocks.  Also every year some players go higher than expected.  The question is who will those players be.