Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

(02-12-2023, 03:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 1....  The word "reach" that you mentioned is where the trouble comes along. "How far?" is the million dollar question. 

2.... We have some folks around here that will tell you that many GMs don't do this, shouldn't do this, and that it is bad. 
You take the third safety there, no matter what. 
They are wrong, but we get to have this fun little debate about it every year between February and April anyway Smile

Big Grin Tongue

On point 1... Agree 100% and this is the point I wasn't clear enough in first time round, it's the gamble as I say. In a way you want a good gambler at GM ... Good enough to weigh up at what point does the reward outweigh the risk and vice versa. At what point does taking the best player in your board outweigh improving a weakness, ... The best front offices seem to find that balance most often and  are capable of weighing it up as the draft develops. 

One of the things that I always felt sank Caldwell in the Henderson/Chaisson draft was not just the fact the players didn't work out (which is the main thing when all is said and done) the fact he seemed so set on those two players going in ... There just didn't seem to be any flexibility to play the cards as they fell! The quote i believe was 'if Henderson wasn't there we were drafting Chaisson anyways' ... Now that may have just been gm speak but either way once you've put it out there it indicates a closed manner of thinking.

On point 2... Haha yeah, and I'm desperately trying not to fall into the trap!!! I've watched it year after year and the funny thing is to a large degree everyone is right ... You should draft players you need and you should draft the best player available ... Everyone just has a slightly different idea of where the line between the two is .... So it's fire vs ice ... The unwinnable argument ??

Still ... I'm bored out of my mind by the off-season already and we haven't got through the super bowl yet so I dare say I'll be in there with the middle of the argument with all the rest in a week or two... Gotta talk about something ...

Just don't take a punter in the 3rd!!! And steer clear of the Tebow thread and we'll all stay sane!

Messages In This Thread
RE: With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock! - by cat bells - 02-12-2023, 03:47 PM