Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

(02-14-2023, 03:44 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 02:22 PM)IKhan't Wrote: Last year we had the #1 overall pick and ignored CB, because we thought Shaquill Griffin and Tyson Campbell would be lock down CB's for years to come. It wasn't a position of need. "Sauce Gardner" was without question, the top player in the draft, imo. It really wasn't even close. He had size, speed, he was a consensus All-American and he had not given up a touchdown during 1000+ snaps in his college career. He also only allowed 13 receptions for 117 total yards, his last season at Cincinnati. Those were unbelievable achievements, that were unmatched by every other player at every position in the draft. If I were to draft any other way, but taking the BAP, I would have chosen someone else, but sticking to the BAP formula, I wanted Gardner. Wouldn't it have been nice if we had drafted Gardner? Taking the BAP works. I don't see why anyone would think it was weird.

I don't think they "ignored CB" at No. 1 because it wasn't a position of need. If anything you need 3 above average CB's right now and at least a 4th guy who can approach that level due to expected injuries over the course of the season and variant 6 DB line ups you may want to run at times.

Historically DE and OL are always prioritized over CB at the very top of the draft. As evidence that no CB as ever gone No. 1. Sauce and Stingley were both highly rated, but they were not the no-doubters that everyone is making them out to be now.

Having an all-Pro CB is a luxury; not a necessity to win a title. You need all your DBs to be above average in the scheme you are playing, and communicating well. Even the best CB's can be neutralized by QB with too much time to throw or great offensive schemes.

If they didn't ignore CB, then why wasn't Gardner tops on the board?

Prioritizing O-Line and D-Line over CB is stupid. Every position outside of Kicker, punter and long snapper should at least be considered when taking the #1 overall player. I don't care what position a guy plays, outside of special teams. If he is head and shoulders the best player in the draft, I take him. 

I don't know how Gardner couldn't have been a "no doubter." Who was the last CB to come out of a major college that put up that kind of production at his size 6'3" and speed 4.41/40? The guy is/was a unicorn. 

You don't necessarily have to have to be great at any one position other than QB to win a title, but it makes things a lot easier if you have elite players at a variety of positions, including CB.

Messages In This Thread
RE: With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock! - by IKhan't - 02-14-2023, 05:33 PM