Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

(02-15-2023, 12:59 AM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 07:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They signed a CB in free agency to a 30 million dollar deal 6 weeks prior to the draft in question.
That's a long, loooong way from "ignoring CB." 

Front offices do indeed prioritize or value positions differently, whether you and I like it or not.
 CB will be further down some GM's lists than others. 

You've mentioned college production in at least 4 posts that I've seen the past few days.
Nothing in the NFL lexicon could be more subjective than "college production."
There are so many variables in "college production" that in no way translate to the professional game. Even just the fluctuations in level of competition from one NCAA conference to the next practically makes it a non-factor for many players.

I know. I was referring to ignoring CB in the draft. I'm simply saying that I and others, recognized that "Sauce" Gardner should've been the #1 overall pick the day the season ended. I saw him as the best overall player midway through the season. Sometimes, you see a certain player and you just see stardom. It's not always that way. Lord knows, I have been wrong on some guys in the past, but I truly feel as strongly about Gardner as I did when I saw Trevor Lawrence play. I knew he was the best overall player in the 2021 draft. I truly believed both Lawrence and Gardner were "no-brainer" #1 overall picks. Therefore we shouldn't have even signed Darious Williams in the first place, because we should've had Gardner locked in as the #1 pick for months. That would've saved us $30 million dollars overall and $12.5 million this coming season and imo, we would have had the best pair of young lockdown corners in the NFL for the foreseeable future. 

I know teams prioritize certain positions. I said that. I still think it's wrong and stupid and it doesn't change that I would still draft the BAP. Just because other teams follow a certain formula, doesn't mean I would. The only position I value over others is QB and we already have a franchise QB. 

I know there are variables in college production. I said that in one of my other posts. I took that into account when I watched Gardner play. It doesn't change anything. When I saw him play, I saw a bigger version of Darrelle Revis. What team in their right mind wouldn't want that? 

The whole question of BAP versus value has been answered on my end. I see/saw Gardner as a future HOF player. Not a potential HOF player, a HOF player. I'm sticking with this assessment. I'm just explaining what I would have done. I identified him as my top player, regardless of the position and I would've made him my #1 overall selection. With this coming draft, I would do the same thing and select the top player available, no matter what position he plays. I have no clue right now who that player may be. It's much different picking #24 and none of us know who will actually be available when we are on the clock. Everyone thinks their way of selecting is better, but none of us on this board are GM's, (at least I think none of us are.) This is all subjective and in the grand scheme of things, it's meaningless, because in the end, none of our opinions matter. We're not making the real decisions. We're just trying to justify why we would make the picks we would make. It's all meaningless fun.

It's perfectly fine to "ignore" a position in the draft when you already have a second round pick and two highly paid free agents at the position. In fact, I'd call it wise, unless a generational talent fell into your lap and you knew he was a big upgrade to what you had. You could make a case for Gardner fitting that bill, but the talking heads/analysts out there were very split on that "generational"  opinion. 

Jags brass didn't realize Shaq Griffin was not even a serviceable stop-gap for one more year,  nor did they see that they'd overrated Williams ability to play the slot.
 If they'd known these things - I like to think they'd have moved on Gardner. The funny thing is, if they had taken him first over all, half of the football universe would have absolutely LAMBASTED the f.o. for reaching.  Even though he looks so far like he would be worth the pick. 

At the end of the day - Walker still has a very good chance of turning into a stud performer, and the Jags have the luxury of playing the 2023 season with two good corners manning the outside in Williams and Campbell before they need to consider spending a first round pick on one. 
A nickel back could conceivably be found later in this draft. 

This year will be very interesting to watch in regard to needs vs top talent available. 
With cap space so tight, it would appear they need to land at least 3 starting quality players in the draft - and they'll need to be fairly specific about which positions they address. 

Baalke has been very vocal on listening to his coaches about what they want, so I anticipate needs will be prioritized whenever they can justify good value. He's said it so often, I almost think he's kind-of saying "hey, don't blame me. I'm giving them what they want."  

I hope that we luck out and find that the top rated player at some of our picks actually addresses a need. It does work out that way sometimes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock! - by NYC4jags - 02-15-2023, 11:13 AM