Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

(02-15-2023, 02:09 PM)rfc17 Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 12:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah - everyone seems to be focusing this hypothetical on the Jags and getting completely lost in the minutiae of the grading process.

The graphic posted and question asked had nothing to do with any of that and does not apply to the Jags or any specific team.
  • GMs/FOs have varying methods of grading players and assembling big boards.
  • The grading "system" in the example is arbitrary.

It's just an illustration of how teams reach down for similarly graded players to fill needs instead of taking the top player on their board. And they often don't need to reach far - thus still attaining good value. When they DO reach too far, the trouble begins. 
The graphic is just illustrating this very basic concept.

I don't get the hand wringing either.  Pretty sure my signature is still a draft comment from having these discussions way back when Vic was around.  Ultimately the methodology of choosing a draft pick is kind of irrelevant as most teams arent dumb enough to draft someone they have rated as a 6th rounder somewhere in the 2nd because it happens to be the best player at some position of greatest need.  The ultimate decider of how good a team is at drafting is how well they scout.  BAP, need, common sense, etc... it is all meaningless compared to an ability to judge talent (not to mention an ability to develop guys once here).  If your big board is lousy, you may as well just be throwing darts at that point.

Yes, that's still your sig. 

I agree with the big board order vs ability to scout and then develop talent statements. 

Teams will inevitably grade the wrong guys too high and others too low every year in addition to finding other creative ways to screw up their draft. 

While the top three or four guys we take this April will be of vital importance at some point for the Jags sooner or later, what happens with the players we selected last April may play an even bigger role. 
We truly need to see progress from Walker, Lloyd and Fornter. There's your parenthetical development statement clearly illustrated close to home. 

For my part, the hand wringing on philosophy is just sort of a Spring time ritual.  When all the orthodox BAP purists cry foul the minute anyone suggests taking a player you need even if you rate him slightly lower than a guy you don't need, I want to hear why.
 I guess I get a kick out of hearing the justification arguments for ignoring value to draft redundant talent. LOL

I'll try not to antagonize those fine folks who have convictions I don't share.

Messages In This Thread
RE: With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock! - by NYC4jags - 02-15-2023, 02:51 PM