Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Baalke Year-End Presser

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The comment about cash is... concerning.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-24-2023, 01:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: The comment about cash is... concerning.

It's in response to a question about the franchise tag.

He'd rather not use it.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 01:51 PM by MoJagFan. Edited 1 time in total.)

Cash is real dollars. The salary cap is a problem to get around. There is always a cash flow problem for small markets. This is nothing new. This isn't a team that needs to throw money away. Build, draft and develop. We just haven't had the coaching staff to develop the roster. I think this year shows that this staff can do it.

Edit:
I know this is like water is wet comments. Thanks for your time and attention.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Baalke is pretty much spot on about everything he's said so far. Lageman was straight up asked about Fortner today and he said he just needs to get his [BLEEP] in the weight room this summer and do whatever the hell it takes to get stronger.

He's also thinking they could have a chance in bringing back Taylor at RT as long as the asking price is fair but, if not? Adios. While Taylor did have a good showing in pass protection, per Lageman, he still left a lot to be desired in the run blocking department.

Walker Little should be able to step right into the RT position and step right up though if Taylor does indeed not end up coming back. Which is fine. I think we'll get some type of compensatory pick for him if he lands elsewhere.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Walker Little seems to have quick feet and is able to pull and trap well in the run game. Find the best lineman possible but I think another off season and feeling confident from his year will help him play better next year.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I agree with Baalke that we need to move away from spending in FA and start using the draft as our main way of improving the roster. FA is always fun and a way to bring in guys with experience but we always have to pay a premium and with contracts like Lawrence to be paid down the line we need to be smart.

We've not had a coaching staff in years that have actually improved 3rd round or later talent but have full faith in Doug and his staff to do that. You don't need later round picks to be great at everything just the 2 or 3 things you need them to do.

Get / draft some run blockers. We are wasting ETN's home run ability otherwise.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-24-2023, 01:27 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:

Cash is real dollars. The salary cap is a problem to get around. There is always a cash flow problem for small markets. This is nothing new. This isn't a team that needs to throw money away. Build, draft and develop. We just haven't had the coaching staff to develop the roster. I think this year shows that this staff can do it.

Edit:
I know this is like water is wet comments. Thanks for your time and attention.

I don't think it's much cause for concern. Doesn't "cash" essentially come down to the owners liquidity and ability to write a check on the spot? If anything Khan has shown he's got no problem writing checks.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I’m feeling a lot more rosy or teal-ish should I say on Baalke than last offseason. I hope he means it about the draft, and goes for baselines hits rather than home run potential like Walker

I have confidence in him. This is a big time draft for us though and we don’t have #1 pick so it will be even more important to scout and interview these guys sufficiently. The last 2 drafts have been nice and hopefully as very strong foundation for our future.

https://youtu.be/je9P1fbRBIw

(01-24-2023, 03:50 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I’m feeling a lot more rosy or teal-ish should I say on Baalke than last offseason. I hope he means it about the draft, and goes for baselines hits rather than home run potential like Walker

He has no choice really. Especially with the interior positions on the O-Line and D-Line. People may not like it, but, there's a good chance he doubles down at multiple positions in April's draft. Fine by me. 

In RD4 and beyond I could see him almost exclusively drafting for raw talent and depth that could push some of these free agents from 2022 off the roster in 2024. That's including WR, RB & CB.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I’d like more detail on the impact Travon had this year. Wasn’t his role supposed to be getting to the QB?