Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thoughts on the season and the future

Well well well guys.....

Let's get one for good measure: DUUUVALLLL!!!!!!

What a season. We started awesome, then sucked, then finished amazing. One of the most emotional roller coaster seasons of all time. 

I think this season proved what a disaster Urban Meyer was. My god man, there really was no reason we should have been bad enough to pick 1st overall last year. That "man" was more destructive than Hurricane Katrina. Doug and his crew showed us what it means to have a true leader and professional as a coach. I believe Pederson right now is the best coach this team has ever had. He's innovative, players love him, and more than anything else, he gets his players to play to their potentials. Kirk, Zay, Engram, Trevor all had their career years in one season with Pederson. He's my vote for COTY by far. One of the most stabilizing and weird feelings right now though is knowing that we are going into an offseason program with our coaching staff in place and returning. Pederson took a franchise in which he said he wasn't even sure players would show up in the offseason to playoff winners. Growing and coming together every week until we went on our longest winning streak since 2005! We swept the tinhorns, ended the tacks streak against us, won in LA, snatched victory from defeat like 7 times. This team has a feeling about them that I don't think I've had about a team. I was a little too young for the 90's teams to really know anything. And it started with hiring Doug. Thank you: Doug, Shad, Tony, Trent, Jaxon Deville, Tom Cruise, 8lb 6oz baby Jesus, and yes, thank you Urban for being so god awful at being a human being you brought this team here.

Trevor showed us all he’s the man and our franchise QB. I stood by him the entire time, I said last year and early this year, he actually regressed under Urban. So he was starting this year with Doug worse off than if he were a rookie. You hear all the time about bad coaches who “ruin” QBs. Not Trevor. This man weathered that storm, put in the work, and made damn sure he was going to become the QB we knew he’d be. Doug and his staff never wavered in their faith of him and we started to see that at the end of the year. He shook the narrative he couldn’t lead a GW drive, he shook the narrative that he “wasn’t a leader” especially staying in the tunnel last weekend. Did you hear what they reported Doug saying about his development during the KC game? He said “he’s about halfway there” THIS IS HALFWAY?!?! What?! I’m super excited to see this offense grow with a full offseason with the same playbook, chemistry with the WRs, OL, coaches, etc. I don’t think it’s really sunken in how much an offseason of stability will do for the development of these young players, Trevor especially. He’s had some growing pains as expected, but I can’t wait to see him next year. I think we get spoiled with the ideas of Brady winning so many SBs and Mahomes winning 2 already. The greats in this game win 2 or 3 SBs in their entire HOF careers, I think we need to remember that. Anyone expecting Brady numbers will forever be disappointed, even from Mahomes.
I’m looking forward to what we do this offseason and it’s going to be weird waiting so long on draft night. How we handle this cap situation is key to long term success, I think we’ll be ok. I truly believe we have that combination of ownership, coaching, QB that teams try to find. Can’t wait to dominate the AFCS like Indy did for so long with Peyton. Our schedule next year looks to have plenty of high profile games on there, including some potential primetime matchups with Cincy, KC, Buf. With Trevor ascending, I think we’ll finally get some primetime fame. Bummed we couldn’t knock off KC this year, already can’t wait for next season. It’s time to…. Steal The Show. IWATJ!!!

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think this is the first time we're heading into the off season and I'm not depressed..

Weird..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Very different feeling entering the offseason and focusing on salary cap, a handful of positions to fill, and a generally upbeat outlook from all corners of the fanbase.

The right people in the right places change things quickly.
Took a long time to get here, but the franchise has cracked open a big window of opportunity and it is colliding with decline in our division.

Time to take advantage.

(01-24-2023, 02:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Very different feeling entering the offseason and focusing on salary cap, a handful of positions to fill, and a generally upbeat outlook from all corners of the fanbase.

Took a long time to get here, but the franchise has cracked open a big window of opportunity and it is colliding with decline in our division.

Time to take advantage.

Agreed. It feels good not thinking we have a new HC or OC and they'll need a season to settle in. It feels good not to think we need to rebuild 3 or 4 whole position groups with 1 FA and draft. 

We are in a position to improve and keep moving forwards and that stability will be huge for us.

And one last thing about Meyer. I agree with what Rich Eisen says, as every week passes with Doug, it makes Meyer look even worse as a HC. So true.

(01-24-2023, 02:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Very different feeling entering the offseason and focusing on salary cap, a handful of positions to fill, and a generally upbeat outlook from all corners of the fanbase.

Time to take advantage.

One thing I noticed is that Upper hasn't been around this season. Only time I seen him post was when the Ridley trade was announced. I guess this team winning isn't fun for him. Not enough things to be negative about like in the past.

(01-24-2023, 06:46 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Time to take advantage.

One thing I noticed is that Upper hasn't been around this season. Only time I seen him post was when the Ridley trade was announced. I guess this team winning isn't fun for him. Not enough things to be negative about like in the past.

Considering he went on and on about overpaying for Kirk and Zay - then filled a few pages about how Kirk and Engram were oil and water on offense - I don't see him chomping at the bit to explain them all 3 having career years simultaneously. 

Don't worry, plenty of negative nancies and trolls waiting for the first moves of free agency to pounce. And we've still got a lovely little crew of folks certain that Walker was the wrong pick. They'll have their fun all spring and summer I'm sure.

As long as 16 is back there we good.

(01-24-2023, 02:15 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I think this is the first time we're heading into the off season and I'm not depressed..

Weird..

I will say I was optimistic coming off of 2017 but this does feel different mainly due to the Lawrence/Pederson partnership.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-25-2023, 08:51 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 02:15 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I think this is the first time we're heading into the off season and I'm not depressed..

Weird..

I will say I was optimistic coming off of 2017 but this does feel different mainly due to the Lawrence/Pederson partnership.

Same.

After 2017 I knew bort was gonna bort.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jagu...e-and-more

Ship answers a lot of questions that a lot of us on the board are asking ourselves.

(01-24-2023, 01:44 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:  
I think this season proved what a disaster Urban Meyer was. 

Nah, he did that all by himself. My hope is that whole debacle beat some sense into Shad Khan and he makes wiser decisions moving forward. He already did with hiring Doug P. I hope it shook the organization as a whole to make better decisions regarding personnel. Owning a football team and knowing how to run it well are not mutually exclusive.

(01-27-2023, 11:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Jaguars season report card - Times Union

Normally, I'd say The Florida Times Union is biased, being homers.

But those actually seem like fair grades.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(01-27-2023, 11:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Jaguars season report card - Times Union

They're right that the defense is behind the offense at the moment, and right that both need to improve.
However, the priority must be on offense.  We can't have Trevor taking hits like he took in Detroit.  Fix the O-line, then worry about defense.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

About right.

I'd probably go C on defense.

His offense grade is fair even if he glosses over the OL performance with a lazy sack citing that should be attributed to play calling and Lawrence's escapability + release. 

ST was mostly great. I'd say "A" there.

A Jaguars fan reaction to the 2022-2023 season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKXzLgFlOk

(01-25-2023, 08:51 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

Weird..

Yeah, I was optimistic, too, but knew that run wouldn't be more than 3 or 4 years at most. I knew it wouldn't be long term, but I just didn't expect it to immediately implode.

This is my first post. I've been a Jaguars fan since the team was announced, but I live in Indiana, so finding other Jaguars fans to talk with has been like finding a needle in a haystack. I just happened to find this forum and I am overjoyed to find other fans of my NFL team. How long has this forum been around and why did it take me so long to find it? Anyway, this team has frustrated me for decades, but once we drafted Trevor Lawrence, I knew things were gonna start looking up. We haven't really ever had a franchise QB. Mark Brunell was the closest thing we'd ever had until now. Also we had to automatically get better, just by the subtraction of Urban Meyer. Good God, what was Khan thinking hiring a college coach with zero NFL experience and zero knowledge of the pro game or how to deal with grown men?

We definitely made positive strides this season, but these positive steps should have been in place years ago. This team should have been totally built, so that a new franchise QB like Lawrence could come in and hit the ground running with most all of the pieces in place around him. Instead, we had years of terrible drafting and poor free agent signings. Don't get me wrong, we have some pieces in place, but it just frustrates me that we don't have more, given all the prime draft picks we earned over the past few seasons. Instead, we have very little to show for them. Now that I have vented about that, lets focus on what we do have. We have a true franchise QB and a franchise RB. That's a good start. We have a fantastic TE that we absolutely must re-sign. I can't tell you how many times Engram came up with key catches last season to keep drives going. We have decent enough receivers as well. We had a lot of drops last season, but our passing game was eons better than what we have seen in the recent past and I hope the addition of Calvin Ridley will make us even better.

On defense we have an up and coming lock down CB in Tyson Campbell. He's a lot of fun to watch. Darius Williams really upped his game since moving to the outside and Andre Cisco has flashed enough that I see his career taking an upturn as well. We have a great young ILB in Foyesade Oluokun and two highly drafted rookie LB's with tremendous upside. I saw Muma flash a few times and I really like that kid. I was high on Lloyd before the draft, but he seemed really lost at times. I'm still confident he can get it together though. I also really like what I see from DaVon Hamilton. Since adding him, our run defense is no longer a complete embarrassment. We still have work to do on the O-Line, D-Line, pass rush and Nickle corner, but things are starting to look really positive and I am excited to see what this team can accomplish. I just hope Khan and Baalke don't screw things up.

(01-28-2023, 01:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: A Jaguars fan reaction to the 2022-2023 season: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKXzLgFlOk

Pretty spot on  Laughing