Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The OT Conundrum Thread

Taylor: They say they want him, not sure they can pay him

Robinson: Hurt, underperformed a bit, but expensive to cut until the next offseason

Little:  Looked good at LT replacing Robinson - likely has a good future here

This just in - and something to consider:
In Doug's year end presser - while describing Little - he dropped the phrase "could maybe even fill in at guard." 
I wonder if that means that if Cam is healthy in September we see Cam at LT and Little at LG? 

https://www.jaguars.com/video/doug-peder...acksonvill

Go to the 12 minute mark and listen for a minute. ^

Our other free agency moves will likely hinge on whether they get a deal done with Taylor or not - and the ramifications of that will trickle down to draft decisions as well.

So sorting this thing out is a big deal for the next 7 or 8 weeks. 

I'm starting to think they find a way to keep all three, but losing Taylor is still a very real possibility if he and his agent opt to chase the dollar signs. Most do. 

How do you see it working out?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Taylor is going to leave, he can get significantly more money on the market than we can pay. Little moves to RT, Cam comes back at LT and we draft Cam's replacement this year. Once the replacement is here we can choose if Little plays left or right, but he seems more likely to move to RT in the short term while we have Cam. I think we have to use that money we would spend on Taylor on our other needs including signing the other guys we want to keep and bringing in a few upgrades to the depth guys. We draft DT, OL, CB, and TE; maybe a mid rounder rush end, but we need to figure out if we want a traditional lineman or a rush 'backer first.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023, 10:53 AM by Caldrac.)

Taylor - Out
Robinson & Little compete for LT this summer - Loser moves to RT
Draft focus goes towards LG early with a developmental OT late to eventually replace Robinson
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-25-2023, 10:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Taylor - Out
Draft focus goes towards LG early with a developmental OT late to eventually replace Robinson
There's no chance Cam moves to RT but other than that, I agree.

(01-25-2023, 11:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
There's no chance Cam moves to RT but other than that, I agree.

Do you say that because of his skill (lack of) or because of his stubbornness?

Because I wonder if the latter may be altered from his prior stance by the current staff, culture, and second injury?

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023, 11:20 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2023, 11:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 11:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: There's no chance Cam moves to RT but other than that, I agree.

Do you say that because of his skill (lack of) or because of his stubbornness?

Because I wonder if the latter may be altered from his prior stance by the current staff, culture, and second injury?
I think it's both.

It's extremely difficult to jump from LT to RT if you have been playing LT for 6 years or longer. I also think he doesn't want to move to RT.

His mindset very well could have changed but I just think that switch is very hard.  I think it would also be equally difficult for Taylor to jump to LT. Not everyone is Penei Sewell.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023, 11:29 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2023, 11:20 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 11:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Do you say that because of his skill (lack of) or because of his stubbornness?

I think it's both.

It's extremely difficult to jump from LT to RT if you have been playing LT for 6 years or longer. I also think he doesn't want to move to RT.

His mindset very well could have changed but I just think that switch is very hard.  I think it would also be equally difficult for Taylor to jump to LT. Not everyone is Penei Sewell.

We'll see. I know Taylor was on record stating he didn't want to swap but Robinson could be a better fit at RT, considering we lacked run blocking on that side with Taylor. Little just seems to be a lot quicker off the ball and I really like him as a natural LT over Robinson at this point.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Oline gets crazy overpaid in FA as, in my opinion, its the position group in football that has the least amount of elite talent.

We've spoken about this before with college football being a lot more spread O's and Oline players reaching the NFL without fully rounded talent for their position and with the rules for training camps, OTA'S etc they don't have the opportunity to progress their skill set.

Taylor will get overpaid big time by someone if he hits FA and I think that's what decides this thing. He will make less but can stay here or he can go to whoever pays him the most. I'd like to keep him so we don't have to look at FA or add a rookie into the discussion but there's a chance we may have to as we need some depth as someone will go down at some point.

(01-25-2023, 11:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 11:20 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I think it's both.

We'll see. I know Taylor was on record stating he didn't want to swap but Robinson could be a better fit at RT, considering we lacked run blocking on that side with Taylor. Little just seems to be a lot quicker off the ball and I really like him as a natural LT over Robinson at this point.
1000000% agree here

I know the reasons they stuck with Robinson and gave him a contract but imagine they let Robinson walk and just had Little be the starting LT. Now they can just give Taylor his contract and the Jags are set.

if they can make it work best be to trade cam, and move little to LT and keep Taylor at RT.

if can really make it work and have Little play LG. we might just have a great lineup if fortner makes a big step next year.

(01-25-2023, 11:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 11:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: We'll see. I know Taylor was on record stating he didn't want to swap but Robinson could be a better fit at RT, considering we lacked run blocking on that side with Taylor. Little just seems to be a lot quicker off the ball and I really like him as a natural LT over Robinson at this point.
1000000% agree here

I know the reasons they stuck with Robinson and gave him a contract but imagine they let Robinson walk and just had Little be the starting LT. Now they can just give Taylor his contract and the Jags are set.

Robinson has 22 mil in dead money against our cap if he walks. I think that means you HAVE to do the due diligence and see if he can play RT or not. 

Now, if you meant to phrase that in the past tense, yes, they likely would have been better off if they had let him walk. 
I get why they wanted to cover their butts in that situation though. Young QB who had his rookie year screwed by incompetence - best make sure he has some depth in protection etc.

They were damned if they do, damned if they don't with the Robinson situation. We had no inclination that Little would have been better in 2022 and Taylor just had a career year, albeit, exclusively in pass protection, not so much in run blocking.

It does hamper things quite a bit though and they ultimately invested that 2nd RD selection on Little for this scenario in particular. I think ideally, you have to consider the roster as it stands.

We don't have anybody in the TE room officially outside of Farrell. You at least have Little who can step in here and start. I know Baalke said he would rather not tag anybody. But, I would try and get a deal done with Engram and tag Taylor. Just to give yourself some flexibility with the draft.

You're going to hinder your free agency options by tagging Taylor, but, really would hate to see this team hurting along the offensive line if we're in the middle of a deep play off push in December.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Little will be playing RT in this scenario. Robinson has already beat him out the past 2 seasons.

(01-25-2023, 12:41 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

Little will be playing RT in this scenario. Robinson has already beat him out the past 2 seasons.

Maybe. Maybe not. Robinson is coming back from an ACL. Little had his moments but it's undeniable. He's a lot faster and more agile than Robinson and I am willing to bet he's more than capable of getting better over there. 

I like him as far as getting around the center and pulling blocks around and out in the running game. I also think he's better in the screen game potentially. Little just needed some confidence and live rounds and it looks like it's playing out perfectly.

(01-25-2023, 12:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 11:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: 1000000% agree here

Robinson has 22 mil in dead money against our cap if he walks. I think that means you HAVE to do the due diligence and see if he can play RT or not. 

Now, if you meant to phrase that in the past tense, yes, they likely would have been better off if they had let him walk. 
I get why they wanted to cover their butts in that situation though. Young QB who had his rookie year screwed by incompetence - best make sure he has some depth in protection etc.
Sorry. What I meant was imagine they let Robinson walk before the season began and just had Little start week 1.

Robinson cut after June 1 reduces the cap hit from awful to manageable.
But they would only do that if they think they've found a replacement with better value. And that's unlikely. Could they restructure Cam?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-25-2023, 10:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Taylor is going to leave, he can get significantly more money on the market than we can pay. Little moves to RT, Cam comes back at LT and we draft Cam's replacement this year. Once the replacement is here we can choose if Little plays left or right, but he seems more likely to move to RT in the short term while we have Cam. I think we have to use that money we would spend on Taylor on our other needs including signing the other guys we want to keep and bringing in a few upgrades to the depth guys. We draft DT, OL, CB, and TE; maybe a mid rounder rush end, but we need to figure out if we want a traditional lineman or a rush 'backer first.

I tend to agree with you regarding Taylor. The Jaguars would like to keep him, but some other team will likely offer him more than the Jags can afford given their cap situation. It would be a good idea to draft a tackle who could provide more depth at that position for 2023 and eventually replace Cam at one of the tackle spots. I do see a conundrum for the upcoming season regarding who plays left tackle. Little did very well on the left side when called on to replace Robinson. He had limited reps at right tackle prior to that and was just "so-so." Ideally, he can prove to be as effective on the right side and keep Cam at left tackle for 2023-24. If Cam doesn't excel next season, he can be released and Walker would move to left tackle.

Regarding your draft recommendations, I'm in agreement that an offensive lineman (preferably guard) and corner/nickel should be high on the list. You have also indicated that the Jaguars should go back to the 4-3 defense as the base since their current players fit better in that scheme. It is critical that they get this decision right because the team's pass rush was a weakness in 2023 and must be improved for the team to have legitimate Super Bowl aspirations in 2023-24. I am guessing that Caldwell sticks with the 3-4 with the expectation that Walker's pass rushing skills will improve dramatically from his disappointing rookie season which netted only 3.5 sacks. If my guess that they stay in the 3-4 base is correct and Walker fails to take a big step forward, the defense will continue to struggle resulting in Caldwell's dismissal as DC.

(01-25-2023, 12:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 12:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Robinson has 22 mil in dead money against our cap if he walks. I think that means you HAVE to do the due diligence and see if he can play RT or not. 

Sorry. What I meant was imagine they let Robinson walk before the season began and just had Little start week 1.

(01-25-2023, 01:07 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-25-2023, 10:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Taylor is going to leave, he can get significantly more money on the market than we can pay. Little moves to RT, Cam comes back at LT and we draft Cam's replacement this year. Once the replacement is here we can choose if Little plays left or right, but he seems more likely to move to RT in the short term while we have Cam. I think we have to use that money we would spend on Taylor on our other needs including signing the other guys we want to keep and bringing in a few upgrades to the depth guys. We draft DT, OL, CB, and TE; maybe a mid rounder rush end, but we need to figure out if we want a traditional lineman or a rush 'backer first.

I tend to agree with you regarding Taylor. The Jaguars would like to keep him, but some other team will likely offer him more than the Jags can afford given their cap situation. It would be a good idea to draft a tackle who could provide more depth at that position for 2023 and eventually replace Cam at one of the tackle spots. I do see a conundrum for the upcoming season regarding who plays left tackle. Little did very well on the left side when called on to replace Robinson. He had limited reps at right tackle prior to that and was just "so-so." Ideally, he can prove to be as effective on the right side and keep Cam at left tackle for 2023-24. If Cam doesn't excel next season, he can be released and Walker would move to left tackle.

Regarding your draft recommendations, I'm in agreement that an offensive lineman (preferably guard) and corner/nickel should be high on the list. You have also indicated that the Jaguars should go back to the 4-3 defense as the base since their current players fit better in that scheme. It is critical that they get this decision right because the team's pass rush was a weakness in 2023 and must be improved for the team to have legitimate Super Bowl aspirations in 2023-24. I am guessing that Caldwell sticks with the 3-4 with the expectation that Walker's pass rushing skills will improve dramatically from his disappointing rookie season which netted only 3.5 sacks. If my guess that they stay in the 3-4 base is correct and Walker fails to take a big step forward, the defense will continue to struggle resulting in Caldwell's dismissal as DC.

Cody Mauch would be my pick in RD3 if he's still there. To play Guard as a rookie and then potentially takeover the RT spot if Little moves over to LT to eventually replace Robinson.

(01-25-2023, 01:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: Robinson cut after June 1 reduces the cap hit from awful to manageable. 
But they would only do that if they think they've found a replacement with better value.  And that's unlikely.  Could they restructure Cam?
We can stop bringing this up because it's not going to happen.

I think we let Taylor walk and draft a guy like Dawand Jones. Then we have competition at LT and RT. Then the following year you can get off Cams contract and have Little at LT and Jones at RT