Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The LG and Center Issues 2022/23

I've been a broken record about the deficiency here this year and many of you have let me know I'm perhaps too over-the-top in my criticism. 
Maybe.
But nonetheless - here is a thread on the topic and I'll be posting gifs of some of the gaffes as I compile them.

As mentioned in another thread, you'll notice stunts and twists giving these guys fits at times. They release guys inside too often. Some run blocking mishaps mixed in too. 

I started roughly around mid season in reviewing all22 footage and focused on Fortner. I'm only three games in, but here's what I've found so far:

[Image: FORT-1.gif]

[Image: fort-2.gif]

more...

[Image: FORT-5.gif]

[Image: LFort-6.gif]

[Image: LFort-7.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-25-2023, 03:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've been a broken record about the deficiency here this year and many of you have let me know I'm perhaps too over-the-top in my criticism. 
Maybe.
But nonetheless - here is a thread on the topic and I'll be posting gifs of some of the gaffes as I compile them.

As mentioned in another thread, you'll notice stunts and twists giving these guys fits at times. They release guys inside too often. Some run blocking mishaps mixed in too. 

I started roughly around mid season in reviewing all22 footage and focused on Fortner. I'm only three games in, but here's what I've found so far:

more...

Whenever I hear someone say Fortner is good I know they're either not being honest or don't understand line play.

more...

[Image: LFort-8.gif]

[Image: LFort9.gif]

Probably too busy the rest of the week to compile more, but I'll add more when I have time. Unfortunately - there seems to be plenty to unearth.

He gets whooped or schooled way too often. Some of that is mental and game speed but also lack of strength, authority and power at the point of contact.

Lageman said yesterday he needs to get inside the weight room. I really wouldn't be surprised if they draft a guy like Luke Wypler in RD2 just to be safe.

He could compete for LG easily but he's also a solid Center in his own right. More touted than Fortner was coming out of Kentucky last year.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2023, 03:46 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-25-2023, 03:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've been a broken record about the deficiency here this year and many of you have let me know I'm perhaps too over-the-top in my criticism. 
Maybe.

more...

"Find some bad plays by the center."  

My question is, can you do this with any other team?  In other words, is it really abnormal for a defensive line stunt to work occasionally?

The cerebral part fo the game forner should be fine with. He just really needs to add strength to be able to compete at this level. We need a contingency plan for if he fails to do so.

(01-25-2023, 03:45 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
Maybe.

more...

"Find some bad plays by the center."  

My question is, can you do this with any other team?  In other words, is it really abnormal for a defensive line stunt to work occasionally?

Sure you can create a lowlight reel for anyone. 

But we are in a situation where we are trying to evaluate a rookie that may or may not be "the guy." I see him as walking that fine line between the two eventualities ATM. 

And - by the time I finish working through 7 or 8 games of these bad plays - we might have a good idea as to whether it is too much or if it's normal/acceptable for a rookie.
 My eye and my gut tell me it is indeed too many plays of being beaten one on one and being fooled by stunts,  but I'm tempering that with the "rookie who should improve" factor, so it is tough to be definitive. 
The thread is about showing some folks (who have asked) what I'm talking about when I express concern.

Thanks NYC. Good to get some clips. The Chiefs play really gets me. Scherff and Taylor handle their assignments one on one and do a pretty good job. 51 manages to take Shatley and Robinson and still gets through the two of them then the Chiefs 56 gets a clean run through where Shatley should be. Fortner seems to have no clue where the pressure is coming from and he could easily slide to cover Shatley's gap and pickup the blitzer.

Fortner looks rough in those plays but surprised how bad Shatley looks aswell as he at least the experience

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 09:46 AM by rfc17. Edited 1 time in total.)

I dont think Fortner is going anywhere. Boselli has talked highly of him. In Baalke's presser, he talked highly of him. Lageman has as well. Everyone has said Fortner needs a full offseason to workout and get stronger. But you can tell the team seems to love his smarts, his attitude, etc... just that he needs to get stronger. I'd be stunned if he isn't starting at center next year. Stunned! Scherff isn't going anywhere due to his salary. Only question is if they bring in help to backfill Bartch. But that also depends on if they thought Bartch was doing well before getting hurt. Not as though he got benched, he just got hurt. Shatley is a great swing backup so I'm sure he'll be back as well. And if they bring back Jawaan, possible they start Little at LG and use Bartch and Shatley as the swing guys.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 09:31 AM by NH3. Edited 1 time in total.)

Maybe.

more...

I agree that this compiled footage doesn't look good for Fortner but I also agree that if Pederson and the coaching staff feels the same, they'll address this situation.

Time Will Tell.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2023/01...nfl-draft/

Edited for the Best...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Fortner definitely needs to get stronger during the off-season. If he does, I have hopes he will be a solid starting center for several years. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to draft someone who can play either guard or center. Can't forget about Shatley who has done pretty well when called upon to start when Linder was hurt. However, he'd only be a stop-gap so Wypler, Avila and Patterson should all be considered due to their versatility.

(01-26-2023, 11:32 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: Fortner definitely needs to get stronger during the off-season. If he does, I have hopes he will be a solid starting center for several years. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to draft someone who can play either guard or center. Can't forget about Shatley who has done pretty well when called upon to start when Linder was hurt. However, he'd only be a stop-gap so Wypler, Avila and Patterson should all be considered due to their versatility.

I like the idea of a LG draft selection who has center capability. Been preaching that strategy. 
Said prospect would compete with Bartch and also serve as back-up/insurance to Fortner. 

Shatley has one year left on his deal and he's cheap. 
He's also 31 y.o. and looks as if he's on the decline athletically to my eye. 
Cheap to keep as insurance until a younger player makes him expendable.
Would save the team about 1.3 mil if they cut him. Not that I recommend they do so prematurely. 
He's not very good anymore, but he's not terrible and in today's league - a back-up OL who isn't terrible is actually valuable.

This is some Grade A content. Thanks, NYCJags!!!

Starting to sift through the lions tape between my work duties today.

All three IOL guys get blown up on this one.
[Image: LFORT-13.gif]

This one shows why ETN isn't used in protection much

You also may notice how Fortner is quickly turned the wrong way. Having his back toward the camera quickly here is not good and you see that happen a lot sifting thought this stuff.

[Image: LFort14.gif]

Here's a Cam Robinson fail lest I be accused of bias:

[Image: LFOrt15.gif]

Fortner run block fail

[Image: LFort-16.gif]

Now post his good plays. Some of these are stunts and twists. But you’re right, we need a pro bowl center or just under pro bowl level at every position.

We made the playoffs with him. I wonder if Fortner can slow Kelce down or Mahome Boy.

How come Walker ain’t getting this same treatment. It’s always too soon with him tho. Same crowd that said Taylor sucked. I made a challenge thread and everybody quickly changed their perception bc they actually went back and watched. Everybody in sports has a low light real.

The real problem is Scherff.

make all the low lights you want, Fortner will still be the center for the next 3 years. Here’s some other stuff to cry about, if they resign Taylor, Little is going straight back to ridin pine or moving to Guard. (Facts)

(01-26-2023, 12:35 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Now post his good plays. Some of these are stunts and twists. But you’re right, we need a pro bowl center or just under pro bowl level at every position.

We made the playoffs with him. I wonder if Fortner can slow Kelce down or Mahome Boy.

How come Walker ain’t getting this same treatment. It’s always too soon with him tho. Same crowd that said Taylor sucked. I made a challenge thread and everybody quickly changed their perception bc they actually went back and watched. Everybody in sports has a low light real.

The real problem is Scherff.

make all the low lights you want, Fortner will still be the center for the next 3 years. Here’s some other stuff to cry about, if they resign Taylor, Little is going straight back to ridin pine or moving to Guard. (Facts)

Again, just illustrating why I'm concerned. Not bashing the kid. 

Also, Taylor really did suck until this season. Badly. 

I'm hoping Fortner improves enough to remain the starter.

Trevor took a lot of hits he shouldn't have taken this season. I don't want to normalize that. Drag me for it if you'd like.

[Image: LF-18.gif]

Not sure how much of this is Scherff and how much is Fortner ^

This one is a good example of a rapid overall pocket collapse
Part of the reason TL has a high number of batted balls

Fortner's guy beats him and causes the turnover here

[Image: LF-19.gif]