Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The LG and Center Issues 2022/23

Need to edit LT in the title as well because that's a problem now

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-08-2023, 06:12 PM)carp8dm Wrote: huh...  So the O-Line sucked last year too?  wow, what a revelation!!

But NYC4Jags is like, naw man, it's the O-Line that sucks...

What?!!?

NO, bruh, it was the play calling the whole time!  And guess what, this game against the Bills proves it.  Eat your bacon and eggs.

I started this thread last year about the OL struggles. 

What are you even talking about? 

The OL was bad and is bad. The offense rose above it today.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 06:39 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

Cam’s first game back since the playoffs last season and guys already saying he’s a problem. RG is the worst. Same guys that said the Jaguars would get beat this week.

(10-08-2023, 06:38 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: RG is the worst

Our intended starter at LG literally got benched. He was much worse than Scherff.

(10-07-2023, 04:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 2nd year center plays like 2nd year center, film at 930.

think it's more a case of mid-round pick plays like mid-round pick.

After all, Creed Humphrey was pretty darn good by his twoth year.

(10-09-2023, 08:34 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-07-2023, 04:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 2nd year center plays like 2nd year center, film at 930.

think it's more a case of mid-round pick plays like mid-round pick.

Thing is, Fortner's only in year 3 as a center overall. He's really still learning to play the position and probably is better suited to Guard as others are saying.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-09-2023, 08:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 08:34 AM)Mikey Wrote: think it's more a case of mid-round pick plays like mid-round pick.

Thing is, Fortner's only in year 3 as a center overall. He's really still learning to play the position and probably is better suited to Guard as others are saying.

Yep.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 04:34 PM by Predator. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-26-2023, 12:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [Image: LF-18.gif]

Not sure how much of this is Scherff and how much is Fortner ^

So may things wrong with this play. It looks like Scherff had responsibility for #34 but he sees Taylor pull and follows him.

Taylor whiffs on his block and Etienne cuts back into the guy that Fortner lets push right by him.

I'm not sure if the play was designed to go left or if Taylor pulling was meant to set up a counter run to the right.

But even if both make their blocks, #34 has the middle and left side covered for a minimal gain and on the right side the LDE/OLB is unblocked and would be able to make a play on any cut back/ counter.

The play was pretty well covered even if executed perfectly.

It does however, highlight what little effort Fortner put into engaging #79. It is a run play and he doesn't fire off the ball. He is content with just trying to stand in his way. He stands up and takes a position like he is pass blocking. You should be trying to hit someone every play.

I was hoping he would improve this year but he probably regressed. I haven't seen a Jaguar center get pushed around this much since Dave Widdell.

I am comfortable with our tackles but we definitely have to address the interior oline.

Sherff has a $23,967,000 cap hit next year. If we release him before June 1st, we save $9,099,000 on 2024 salary cap with no remaining dead cap after 2024. If we release him after June 1st, we save $16,500,000 against the 2024 cap, but will carry a dead cap hit of $7,401,000 into 2025.

We need to add 2 quality starters to the interior. Sherff just isn't the player we thought he would be when we signed him and I think is too expensive to keep. Fortner is either too weak, not aggressive enough, or both and I don't think we can afford to just give him another season and hope he improves. I'm not sure what centers will be available in FA, but we need to bring in a quality one to either replace him of force him to step his game up a lot. We can draft a center to develop in April, but I don't want Trevor behind another Rookie starting center.

We can draft and use FA on a guard. Our draft position should allow us to get a top notch prospect at guard. Guard is a simpler position to play mentally than center so I would have no problem starting a rookie guard.

We also need to upgrade our interior dline too.

We do have some roster holes right now, but there aren't too many to address in one off season.

lololol.

(10-09-2023, 08:55 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-09-2023, 08:53 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Thing is, Fortner's only in year 3 as a center overall. He's really still learning to play the position and probably is better suited to Guard as others are saying.

Yep.

Guards need to be stronger that what Fortner has demonstrated.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 04:41 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

If this was Fortners rookie year im still bringing in a new C. Hes one of the worst centers ive ever seen. From the eye test, stats, pff grade etc.. Pretty much everything says he sucks and is one of the worst centers in the league if not the worst

Finished the season with a 44 point grade.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/luke-fortner/42028

https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...1914934773

(01-09-2024, 04:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If this was Fortners rookie year im still bringing in a new C.  Hes one of the worst centers ive ever seen.  From the eye test, stats, pff grade etc..  Pretty much everything says he sucks and is the worst center .

Finished the season with a 44 point grade.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/luke-fortner/42028

https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...1914934773

Yep, I've seen enough.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I mean, I literally tried to tell y'all on this one.

Still bugs me out that so many fans were not bothered by the [BLEEP] sandwich we were served up in 2022 at LG/C.
I thought it was a pretty clear red flag. (hence this thread)
This FO [BLEEP] around and found out in a really big way.

(01-09-2024, 08:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I mean, I literally tried to tell y'all on this one.

Still bugs me out that so many fans were not bothered by the [BLEEP] sandwich we were served up  in 2022 at LG/C.

I wanted to bench him last year and all he has done is gotten worse.

(01-09-2024, 08:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I mean, I literally tried to tell y'all on this one.

Still bugs me out that so many fans were not bothered by the [BLEEP] sandwich we were served up  in 2022 at LG/C.

Credit where credit is due. You called it before anyone 

Problem is there aren’t really any good FA C’s this year. Think we’re going to have to target one in the 2nd round

It just irks me that we coulda spend a 2nd/3rd on C/G last year but we took backups for two of our better positions.

(01-09-2024, 09:16 PM)MojoKing Wrote:

Credit where credit is due. You called it before anyone 

Problem is there aren’t really any good FA C’s this year. Think we’re going to have to target one in the 2nd round
Biadasz and Cushenberry are both pretty good

We need to come out of the draft with two immediate starters.

(01-09-2024, 09:17 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

It just irks me that we coulda spend a 2nd/3rd on C/G last year but we took backups for two of our better positions.

I covered this in another thread.  The guards and centers that were actually drafted last year did poorly as rookies.  The ones that saw the field, anyways.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.