Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The LG and Center Issues 2022/23

(01-12-2024, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 10:53 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Isn't a guard supposed to be a mauler in the running game and if he can hold a block on pass pro that's a bonus? 

No wonder we fail.

Every staff has a run scheme and seeks out traits in their linemen based on that scheme.
This staff has prioritized mobility and athleticism over the "mauler" prototype and it barely worked just enough in 2022 before failing miserably in 2023. 
I believe they desperately need to adjust the traits they have targeted at Center and Guard to place players there who can be athletic "enough" but still big and strong enough to gut out a two yard power run on 3rd down when we need it to continue a drive or cross the goal line.

Even if they are more athletes than pure power, they need the attitude. Just that meanstreak of in between the whistles im going to hurt you as badly as I can. I think our scouts gotta delve deeper, talk to roommates and friends.. learn if he's mean. The tape can tell you some things but it can't tell you who a person is

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 11:21 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-12-2024, 11:06 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:02 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Depends on your system and offensive philosophy. Sounds like Doug likes his big sloppy's on the nimble side. What he had with the Eagles was BOTH. Kelce is quick and strong, Peters was quick and strong, Johnson was quick and strong. We just have a bunch of guys that are barely quick, not so strong and injury prone.

Harrison is a good start in the right direction. They're going to have to find a LT in this year's draft in my opinion. I don't Robinson will take a pay cut nor do I think Little is the answer. I would rather see Little or Cleveland back at LG in 2024 with this team adding a stout LT on the opening night of the draft. 

Would prefer a Center signed up in March and then we draft another RG in RD2 or RD3 of the draft to replace Scherff while competing with guys like Hance and potentially Hodges if he's back in year two and ready to go from his rookie season. 

It's not an easy fix though, for sure. But, they have to start somewhere and it really needs to start in the middle with Fortner getting canned on the sideline. That's the biggest need entering this off season. By a landslide. Problem is, you don't typically see teams drafting Centers that high in RD1. 

That's why I think you have to get it done in March, followed by beefing up the LT position early in April. Fuaga & Latham may be on the team's radar on the opening night of the draft. You can probably entertain the idea of swapping Harrison around with one of them as well between RT/LT.

I guess i just miss our power running days. Our Samoan giants at guard just wrecking people.

Same. The running game has been bad enough these past two seasons to where, in my opinion, Doug has to consider a culture shock and entirely different approach moving forward. Even with a personnel change or two, there needs to be a retooling of the system in general. 

Lawrence has a great arm, and it's being severely sandbagged due to the inabilities to get the ground game going. I really feel like he could be one of the best, if not, the best play action Quarterback of the NFL if they could change their approach with how they view the running game in general. 

This is why I kept saying as soon as he was fired, "Go get Arthur Smith". Arthur knows how to create a running scheme, a running game and uses a wide variety of personnel. It may have been a little too much for him to head coach it all, but, having a lackluster showing at the QB position did him no favors. 

Somebody has to fix this running game though. I don't think it's all just on the Center position. It needs to be a mentality moving forward. "We're running this football. We know you know we're running this football. I don't care if it's 3rd and 1 or 4th and 3. If I line up in power? I am getting this first down, come hell or high water". 

They need to get Fortner out of there and they need to culture shock the hell out of whatever it was they thought was clearly not working over the last two seasons.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-12-2024, 11:15 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:11 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Every staff has a run scheme and seeks out traits in their linemen based on that scheme.
This staff has prioritized mobility and athleticism over the "mauler" prototype and it barely worked just enough in 2022 before failing miserably in 2023. 
I believe they desperately need to adjust the traits they have targeted at Center and Guard to place players there who can be athletic "enough" but still big and strong enough to gut out a two yard power run on 3rd down when we need it to continue a drive or cross the goal line.

Even if they are more athletes than pure power, they need the attitude. Just that meanstreak of in between the whistles im going to hurt you as badly as I can. I think our scouts gotta delve deeper, talk to roommates and friends.. learn if he's mean. The tape can tell you some things but it can't tell you who a person is

That sounds reasonable on paper - but you need to weigh that against the strong push for positive culture Pederson/Baalke have been preaching for two years now. 

The homework they are doing on these guys is centered around positive character and a love for the game/ willingness to work hard. Whatever brand of dawg-nastiness people like to discuss for linemen is likely playing second fiddle. 

Usually the best OL guys in a power scheme do have that streak of grit in their play. Right now, Cam Robinson is the only guy like that on our OL roster. 

I don't personally prioritize it heavily, but I'd love to see more of it in that line.

(01-12-2024, 11:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:15 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: Even if they are more athletes than pure power, they need the attitude. Just that meanstreak of in between the whistles im going to hurt you as badly as I can. I think our scouts gotta delve deeper, talk to roommates and friends.. learn if he's mean. The tape can tell you some things but it can't tell you who a person is

That sounds reasonable on paper - but you need to weigh that against the strong push for positive culture Pederson/Baalke have been preaching for two years now. 

The homework they are doing on these guys is centered around positive character and a love for the game/ willingness to work hard. Whatever brand of dawg-nastiness people like to discuss for linemen is likely playing second fiddle. 

Usually the best OL guys in a power scheme do have that streak of grit in their play. Right now, Cam Robinson is the only guy like that on our OL roster. 

I don't personally prioritize it heavily, but I'd love to see more of it in that line.

And that's why the draft is such a crapshoot. You just don't know.

Just like a fight or your first combat. You don't know until you know. Ya know? Lol

McManus going off now on the radio show. [BLEEP] about lack of power run formations, etc. He was tired of the 3rd and 1 shotgun runs, etc.

It's interesting how divided everybody is on the running game issues.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-12-2024, 11:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote: McManus going off now on the radio show. [BLEEP] about lack of power run formations, etc. He was tired of the 3rd and 1 shotgun runs, etc.

I hate finesse football. It's a game where big men hurt each other. Its not basketball. It's not baseball. It's physical. It's supposed to be physical.

You have to be a mauler at the point of attack.. he just waits for whatever comes his way and plays going backwards... protect your ground.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 12:07 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-12-2024, 11:56 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:53 AM)Caldrac Wrote: McManus going off now on the radio show. [BLEEP] about lack of power run formations, etc. He was tired of the 3rd and 1 shotgun runs, etc.

I hate finesse football. It's a game where big men hurt each other. Its not basketball. It's not baseball. It's physical. It's supposed to be physical.
I agree. I played FB and LB growing up throughout middle school and high school. I was always taught to pick a lane, find a man and take him out.

Reacting instead of attacking will get you killed. Sometimes you charge in like a bull seeing red and you gore somebody. Sometimes you miss.

I would rather fall forward and on my face instead of getting whooped and put on my back. That was something my Dad told me as well. Fall forwards. Not backwards.

(01-12-2024, 12:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 11:56 AM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: I hate finesse football. It's a game where big men hurt each other. Its not basketball. It's not baseball. It's physical. It's supposed to be physical.
I agree. I played FB and LB growing up throughout middle school and high school. I was always taught to pick a lane, find a man and take him out.

Reacting instead of attacking will get you killed. Sometimes you charge in like a bull seeing red and you gore somebody. Sometimes you miss.

I would rather fall forward and on my face instead of getting whooped and put on my back. That was something my Dad told me as well. Fall forwards. Not backwards.

Exactly right. Then get up and do it again! Now boy now! Don't walk to that huddle you RUN!

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 12:16 PM by The Real Marty.)

Watch the below video at the 18:03 mark, where on 4th and goal at the 1-yard line, Trevor tries to reach over the goal line, while Luke Fortner is getting PANCAKED.  

How can anyone argue about what our problem on offense was?  We're not going to line up in a power run formation, because we don't have the personnel to do it.

(3) What Needs to Change Moving Forward? | Huddle Up | Jacksonville Jaguars - YouTube

I agree with him regarding more power sets and getting the guys required to run them.

(01-12-2024, 12:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Watch the below video at the 18:03 mark, where on 4th and goal at the 1-yard line, Trevor tries to reach over the goal line, while Luke Fortner is getting PANCAKED.  

How can anyone argue about what our problem on offense was?  We're not going to line up in a power run formation, because we don't have the personnel to do it.

(3) What Needs to Change Moving Forward? | Huddle Up | Jacksonville Jaguars - YouTube

I was think the same thing when McManus said it was blocked up and would've scored. Fortner was laid out across the running lane on his back and Strange came to a full stop right there 3 yards in the back field. Then Ezra was going horizontal across the center line, so there wasn't a cut back either. There was no getting around that disaster because the point of attack got demolished.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2024, 12:45 PM by Caldrac.)

(01-12-2024, 12:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 12:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Watch the below video at the 18:03 mark, where on 4th and goal at the 1-yard line, Trevor tries to reach over the goal line, while Luke Fortner is getting PANCAKED.  

I was think the same thing when McManus said it was blocked up and would've scored. Fortner was laid out across the running lane on his back and Strange came to a full stop right there 3 yards in the back field. Then Ezra was going horizontal across the center line, so there wasn't a cut back either. There was no getting around that disaster because the point of attack got demolished.

This I agree with the both of you. Even Dempsey on the radio was questioning McManus there because we all saw it. Even with Bigsby in the backfield and Strange in the FB position, Fortner had already lost the center of the line there, if the play was designed to the right?

Unless Bigsby has a rocket booster up his [BLEEP]? I don't see him leaping or charging his way through that mess. 

That whole play call was a mess and the personnel wasn't there in that moment, much like it wasn't there all season for them to execute properly. It's tough. All you could have done there differently? Go empty backfield with five wide and try and get something else? I don't know what else you can do there.

If you can't run it? But, you need less than a yard to score? You can TRY to go empty backfield and five wide but then what?

(01-12-2024, 12:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 12:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Watch the below video at the 18:03 mark, where on 4th and goal at the 1-yard line, Trevor tries to reach over the goal line, while Luke Fortner is getting PANCAKED.  

Trevor calls his own number there not because he's not a team guy, but because he probably realized the play called was booty juice as was the one just prior.  I think there is a legitimate reason to gripe at Press regarding the play calls on that series.

(01-12-2024, 12:47 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 12:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I was think the same thing when McManus said it was blocked up and would've scored. Fortner was laid out across the running lane on his back and Strange came to a full stop right there 3 yards in the back field. Then Ezra was going horizontal across the center line, so there wasn't a cut back either. There was no getting around that disaster because the point of attack got demolished.

Trevor calls his own number there not because he's not a team guy, but because he probably realized the play called was booty juice as was the one just prior.  I think there is a legitimate reason to gripe at Press regarding the play calls on that series.

There's some fairness to that. It's 4th and goal. Ball shouldn't have been in anybody else's hands but Trevor's there. Knowing that the line and running game can't get it done. 

Better play call should have been made. I would have liked to have seen something more creative there. Maybe you line up with the same exact personnel, just flex out into a different formation with Lawrence going in the gun and Strange and Bigsby flexing out wide. 

Come to think of it, isn't that something in and of itself? It's the biggest [BLEEP] down of the year, our divisional title and play-off hopes are on the line, and, we have Bigsby and Strange out there? Two guys that have cost you more than actually helped you all year?

Come to think of it, that part there probably gets glossed over too much. Very odd coaching decisions there in general...

(01-12-2024, 01:06 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-12-2024, 12:47 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Trevor calls his own number there not because he's not a team guy, but because he probably realized the play called was booty juice as was the one just prior.  I think there is a legitimate reason to gripe at Press regarding the play calls on that series.

There's some fairness to that. It's 4th and goal. Ball shouldn't have been in anybody else's hands but Trevor's there. Knowing that the line and running game can't get it done. 

Better play call should have been made. I would have liked to have seen something more creative there. Maybe you line up with the same exact personnel, just flex out into a different formation with Lawrence going in the gun and Strange and Bigsby flexing out wide. 

Come to think of it, isn't that something in and of itself? It's the biggest [BLEEP] down of the year, our divisional title and play-off hopes are on the line, and, we have Bigsby and Strange out there? Two guys that have cost you more than actually helped you all year?

Come to think of it, that part there probably gets glossed over too much. Very odd coaching decisions there in general...

For real.  If you have no power short yardage game, why not spread everyone out and make the defense spread out and then let Trevor make a throw or pick an opening if no one can get open.  Nah lets roll to the right and make an already condensed field as condensed as it can possibly get with our backups the only receivers in the area.  That play call was an attempt at making an already served [BLEEP] sandwich worse by microwaving it and slathering it in acne puss, topping it with fumunda cheese and serving it with dumpster juice on ice.

*S* If only someone could have seen this coming *S*

https://x.com/DanDGriffis/status/1745844...12376?s=20

https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...12376?s=20

(01-12-2024, 01:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: *S* If only someone could have seen this coming *S*

https://x.com/DanDGriffis/status/1745844...12376?s=20

https://twitter.com/DanDGriffis/status/1...12376?s=20

That's awful. There's no excuse for that. Baalke needs to go. I refuse to finger point at anybody else on this staff until those grades are more consistent. 

Hell, if they could get the group up to Scherff's level? They're probably an average offensive line overall in the run blocking department and that's good enough to get another win or more.

(01-12-2024, 12:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

This 18:03 mark is a perfect example of why I feel like Trevor is losing his accuracy. I noticed a trend throughout the year where he was increasingly throwing off his back foot, instead of planting and driving through, which is causing his balls to sail a bit. He's still tremendously gifted, even with this bad habit he's picking up. Imo, he's throwing off his back foot more because he's injured, stepping into a hit hurts more, and the extra .3 seconds it takes to shift your weight forward is just time the defense has to hit you. Pressure is coming up the middle and when it comes loose, it comes fast. We HAVE to fix this o-line. Priority number one or Trevor's a bust.

(01-12-2024, 01:46 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:

This 18:03 mark is a perfect example of why I feel like Trevor is losing his accuracy. I noticed a trend throughout the year where he was increasingly throwing off his back foot, instead of planting and driving through, which is causing his balls to sail a bit. He's still tremendously gifted, even with this bad habit he's picking up. Imo, he's throwing off his back foot more because he's injured, stepping into a hit hurts more, and the extra .3 seconds it takes to shift your weight forward is just time the defense has to hit you. Pressure is coming up the middle and when it comes loose, it comes fast. We HAVE to fix this o-line. Priority number one or Trevor's a bust.

Could also be fading back on his throws anticipating pressure. The man ain’t scared of getting it, but probably just trying to get the throw off.