Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The LG and Center Issues 2022/23

Here's a rep that is good for context.

Fortner does his job here and Trevor is able to get off the completion. While Fortner's guy does eventually get to Trevor, he doesn't knock him down.

We need more of these "contact in 2.6 seconds" reps and fewer of the "contact in 1.5-2.4 seconds" reps.

[Image: LF-20.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I know the thread is about IOL but here's another Cam Robinson miss
OL play really affected this Detroit game negatively

[Image: LF21.gif]

Lol, rookie center plays like rookie center. Film at elev-...4:33pm yesterday.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-26-2023, 02:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, rookie center plays like rookie center. Film at elev-...4:33pm yesterday.

Sure, but coming from a guy who has watched a lot of rookies look like rookies, this one has me more worried than usual.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 04:28 PM by MojoKing.)

Nobody:
Baalke: “Luke has a bright future in the NFL”
NYC: Deez GIFs doh

(01-26-2023, 04:27 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Nobody:

LOL

Yeah, everyone is sunshine and rainbows about the kid while he gets rag dolled out there every week. 
Trevor was knocked to the turf 36 times behind center this year and was the 4th most hurried QB in the league.

You'll have to forgive me for wanting our QB to stay healthy and have a pocket to operate in.

Fortner has more upside than Shatley, but it's proving to be painful to get there (or attempt to get there)....

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2023, 06:13 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

For a guy that played six years at Kentucky in the SEC. He seems to play more technical and less physical. Very surprising considering the teams he faced in the SEC defensively. This is worth noting though. Something I didn't know until I actually looked up his history.

He didn't start playing Center until his final year at Kentucky. Did not know that. He was primarily a guard. Pretty good right guard at that in 2020. So, that's interesting. Only one real year as the Center at Kentucky in six years and then he's thrusted into the line-up at the NFL level.

That's a tall order and tough task for anybody. Having said that. My hope is that he gets stronger this summer, gets faster and gets more comfortable back pedaling and acting instead of sitting upright and waiting to react. That's my biggest takeaway in these snippets so far. He's not moving fast enough, he's waiting on the action to come his way instead of getting after it and mauling somebody.

There's still a lot of hope for him and plenty of room to grow. Worst case? We have a capable Guard already on the roster and with the addition of a veteran Center or potentially drafting a guy, like Wypler out of OSU or Patterson out of ND, we might be fine in the long run.

Once again though, much like Walker & Lloyd. Essentially the first three picks appeared to have either:

A. Been playing out of position due to coaching decisions.

B. Regressed off and on throughout the year. Not uncommon. They're rookies. BUT... playing out of position or at a position with just one full year of actual experience? Meh....

Those three have to step it the hell up BIG TIME in 2023 but the coaching staff absolutely has to ensure their aces are in their places with the talent they have. Really still bummed out that it took this staff a little too long to move Walker around and then to shoot Lloyd's confidence pretty much right down the drain by putting Muma in there, who, also had his moments of failing to find his man in coverage or wrap up, etc.

Man, the more I think about it. The more concerning it is really.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-26-2023, 01:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I know the thread is about IOL but here's another Cam Robinson miss
OL play really affected this Detroit game negatively

[Image: LF21.gif]

How Trevor only hurt his "toe" on that play still amazes me. It looked so, so bad. We all thought that leg was done for.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2023, 12:26 PM by carp8dm. Edited 2 times in total.)

First off, I'm a big fan of Fourtner as rookie Center. I thought he played pretty well considering everything.

NYCJags showed some plays that clearly have issues within them. I think I'll start a new thread... But I'm a lazy son of a [BLEEP], so I probably won't get to it.

But in the mean time, just watch the UTLTIMATE JAGUAR LINEMAN explain the position.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-7tjKYPC_8 (This is one of the greatest YouTube LineMen breakdowns I've ever seen. Uche, we miss you man)

With that said, I'd ask you all to look specifically at 1:42 in the video. Watch Fourtner pass block there. Dude has legit skill and heart. Does he have weaknesses that are a concern? Sure. Mainly, I'd say he was really unware of how to handle stunt rushes!

But the young man has so much potential. I think it would be unwise to start looking to replace him so soon.

Jags need the best 5 on the field. Need to be great in the middle.

(01-25-2023, 03:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've been a broken record about the deficiency here this year and many of you have let me know I'm perhaps too over-the-top in my criticism. 
Maybe.
But nonetheless - here is a thread on the topic and I'll be posting gifs of some of the gaffes as I compile them.

As mentioned in another thread, you'll notice stunts and twists giving these guys fits at times. They release guys inside too often. Some run blocking mishaps mixed in too. 

I started roughly around mid season in reviewing all22 footage and focused on Fortner. I'm only three games in, but here's what I've found so far:

[Image: FORT-1.gif]

[Image: fort-2.gif]

more...

[Image: FORT-5.gif]

[Image: LFort-6.gif]

[Image: LFort-7.gif]

I know I'm new, but personally, I agree with you. LG has been a revolving door of mediocrity, at best. We gave a huge contract to Scherff even though he was on the downside of his career and he is no better than what we had with Andrew Norwell, only Scherff is more expensive. Like it or not though, we are stuck with him for one more season. I did not like Fortner at Kentucky and he has done nothing to change my mind about him so far. IMO, I go heavy on the O-Line in this draft. I get an immediate starter at LG and I also get a new swing Tackle, since in all likelihood Jawaan Taylor will be gone and Walker Little will be moving from Swing to starting RT. I also wanna bring in an OG/OT type in the late rounds of the draft for depth. It always seems like this is where we suffer the most injuries and you can never have enough depth. I prefer players who are position flexible and can play multiple spots on the O-Line. It gives us more options when injuries occur.

(01-26-2023, 04:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-26-2023, 04:27 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Nobody:

LOL

Yeah, everyone is sunshine and rainbows about the kid while he gets rag dolled out there every week. 
Trevor was knocked to the turf 36 times behind center this year and was the 4th most hurried QB in the league.

You'll have to forgive me for wanting our QB to stay healthy and have a pocket to operate in.

Getting fooled by the stunts doesn't concern me nearly as much as the situations where he is simply overpowered. That's what Lags and others are no doubt looking at when talking about him getting in the weight room.

He seems to be a bit of a finesse player without the finesse, lol. I think he actually has some similarities to Linder although Linder's experience made him more efficient. I think Fortner has plenty of upside but he definitely needs to work on his craft.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Fortner was a rookie.  Same as Walker.  Expect both of them to play better in their sophomore year.  Fortner only played center 1 year in college, so he needs some time to learn the nuances of the position.  Walker was learning a new position but he flashed greatness at times. 

I'd be less concerned about Fortner than I would be with Scherff.  Scherff is the highest paid guard in the NFL but he was mediocre at best.  Many missed blocks and mental errors, which you wouldn't expect from someone with his level of experience.  We're stuck with Scherff at least 1 more year before he can be cut.  

Ben Bartch will be back next year, so hopefully he can stabilize the LG position.

(This post was last modified: 01-29-2023, 04:34 PM by Kane. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-29-2023, 01:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Fortner was a rookie.  Same as Walker.  Expect both of them to play better in their sophomore year.  Fortner only played center 1 year in college, so he needs some time to learn the nuances of the position.  Walker was learning a new position but he flashed greatness at times. 

I'd be less concerned about Fortner than I would be with Scherff.  Scherff is the highest paid guard in the NFL but he was mediocre at best.  Many missed blocks and mental errors, which you wouldn't expect from someone with his level of experience.  We're stuck with Scherff at least 1 more year before he can be cut.  

Ben Bartch will be back next year, so hopefully he can stabilize the LG position.

Scherff is top 10 but I don't think he's highest paid last time I checked spotrac edit: 8th overall money top 5 in a aav and gtd money (but I agree the value wasn't there this year)
Ben Bartch iirc wasn't playing exceptionally prior to being injured.
We definitely need to add 1 or 2 IOL in draft or cheap fa for competition and insurance.

(01-29-2023, 04:31 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 01:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Fortner was a rookie.  Same as Walker.  Expect both of them to play better in their sophomore year.  Fortner only played center 1 year in college, so he needs some time to learn the nuances of the position.  Walker was learning a new position but he flashed greatness at times. 

Scherff is top 10 but I don't think he's highest paid last time I checked spotrac
We definitely need to add 1 or 2 IOL in draft or cheap fa for competition and insurance.

Scherff is now the 3rd highest paid guard.  When we signed him though we made him the highest paid.

(01-29-2023, 04:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 04:31 PM)Kane Wrote: Scherff is top 10 but I don't think he's highest paid last time I checked spotrac

Scherff is now the 3rd highest paid guard.  When we signed him though we made him the highest paid.

In total contract money he's 8th.
In fully gtd money I believe he is 3rd.

And that is the nature of FA. You overpay and sometimes get value.
And often, not.
I think we got good value from Kirk and Jones signings. Great value from Engram.
Not great with Scherff (although he wasn't terrible all year and played thru injury) but definitely overpaid

(01-29-2023, 04:36 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 04:34 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Scherff is now the 3rd highest paid guard.  When we signed him though we made him the highest paid.

In total contract money he's 8th.
In fully gtd money I believe he is 3rd.

And that is the nature of FA. You overpay and sometimes get value.
And often, not.
I think we got good value from Kirk and Jones signings. Great value from Engram.
Not great with Scherff (although he wasn't terrible all year and played thru injury) but definitely overpaid
Average per year.  He was first when he signed here and now he is 3rd after Nelson and Jenkings signed their extensions

You guys ever consider that Shrerff was off because he was helping the rookie center?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I think Luke gets better. I also think that there's a chance we take a LG @ 24.