Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Own a 2015 - 2019 Kia or Hyundai? Security/Insurer Issue

Major insurers plan to drop two car models' coverage due to thefts: report

Kia and Hyundai vehicle thefts are up as much as 300% in the past two years in some cities

At least two major automotive insurers are refusing to protect certain Kia and Hyundai models because they lack anti-theft common in today’s cars, according to reports.

Both State Farm and Progressive confirmed with CNN that they no longer write policies for some Kia and Hyundai models manufactured between 2015-2019.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/majo...fts-report
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

$170 ignition kill kit fix available at any Hyundai dealer

$30 steering wheel locks offer the same fix if you're cheap about it - Kia gives the wheel locks away free to owners.

The question is, will these insurers cover the car if those kits are installed? 

I find it puzzling that a car manufacturer wouldn’t install immobilizers from the factory. No one double checked the bean counters.

(01-30-2023, 10:12 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The question is, will these insurers cover the car if those kits are installed? 

I find it puzzling that a car manufacturer wouldn’t install immobilizers from the factory. No one double checked the bean counters.

Yes.

It was the entire point on the Hyundai kit being distributed. (which happened back in October, 22 BTW) 

Not sure on the KIA thing.

Also - there are aftermarket starter kill switches with and without alarm systems readily available everywhere and all the major insurers accept them as theft deterrent qualifications on policies. Self install kits start at $30. 

Clearly, both of these manufacturers got cheap on this security measure-  and it's biting them in the rear a bit, but at the end of the day it's an easy fix and not a big deal. 

Not to mention the 47 other insurers out there that will happily write policies on these cars.

I laughed so hard when this defect came to light. It was so easily avoidable but they went cheap in production for sure.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!