Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Liberal hypocrisy on full display........

noun, plural hy·poc·ri·sies.
a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
an act or instance of hypocrisy.

And I thought liberals cared about the down trodden and poor.........

Biden-supporter Stephen Curry moves to block ‘low-income housing’ near his $30 million mansion: report

Curry and his wife also asked the local government to build 'fencing' to block low-income residents from seeing their home

NBA superstar Stephen Curry, who publicly endorsed Joe Biden for president in 2020, is opposing a "low-income" housing development near his $30 million mansion, according to a local news report. 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-supp...ion-report
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 12:33 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

Steph is being reasonable. He's asking for reduction of the sight lines.

The city council member quoted in the article is wrong. He said that there just can't be low income housing because the land values are too high.
The land values are too high because there is not enough land on the market.
There is not enough land on the market because of the lot size requirements and height restrictions of the zoning.
It all works together. You have to get more reasonable zoning, and then you get more reasonable land prices, then things get more affordable for everyone.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-31-2023, 11:19 AM)mikesez Wrote: Steph is being reasonable.  He's asking for reduction of the sighting.

The city council member quoted in the article is wrong.  He said that there just can't be low income housing because the land values are too high.
There is not enough land on the market because of the lot size requirements and height restrictions of the zoning.
It all works together.  You have to get more reasonable zoning, and then you get more reasonable land prices, then things get more affordable for everyone.

And then the Poors move in and everything goes to hell.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 12:10 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 6 times in total.)

Yeah, this seems a little blown out of proportion. Tho I find Curry's enthusiastic support of Biden misguided considering the personal belief's he supposedly holds.

The best part of this whole article is Kackala refusing to kneel down in front of the team after seeing her boss do so. I guess she only gets on her knees for those who can benefit her politically.

Sorry, it was low hanging fruit. Too easy.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-31-2023, 12:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 11:19 AM)mikesez Wrote: Steph is being reasonable.  He's asking for reduction of the sighting.

The city council member quoted in the article is wrong.  He said that there just can't be low income housing because the land values are too high.
It all works together.  You have to get more reasonable zoning, and then you get more reasonable land prices, then things get more affordable for everyone.

And then the Poors move in and everything goes to hell.

Not necessarily.  I live next to some affordable housing and my house is pretty expensive.  Expensive and affordable can be right next to each other.  The key is to not let the area become all one or all the other.  If you have too much of one, there is a tipping point where the other can't exist anymore.
White conservatives tend to focus on the tipping point where an area becomes too affordable (but really they mean too black and brown) but the balance getting tipped the other way is just as bad.

(01-31-2023, 12:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 12:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And then the Poors move in and everything goes to hell.

Not necessarily.  I live next to some affordable housing and my house is pretty expensive.  Expensive and affordable can be right next to each other.  The key is to not let the area become all one or all the other.  If you have too much of one, there is a tipping point where the other can't exist anymore.
White conservatives tend to focus on the tipping point where an area becomes too affordable (but really they mean too black and brown) run down, blighted, and crime ridden but the balance getting tipped the other way is just as bad.

FTFY.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-31-2023, 01:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 12:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: Not necessarily.  I live next to some affordable housing and my house is pretty expensive.  Expensive and affordable can be right next to each other.  The key is to not let the area become all one or all the other.  If you have too much of one, there is a tipping point where the other can't exist anymore.
White conservatives tend to focus on the tipping point where an area becomes too affordable (but really they mean too black and brown) run down, blighted, and crime ridden but the balance getting tipped the other way is just as bad.

FTFY.

Blight hasn't been a problem in the SF bay area for going on decades now.

(01-31-2023, 01:35 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 01:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: FTFY.

Blight hasn't been a problem in the SF bay area for going on decades now.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76112f8ee55b45f2aaadbd...y.gif&ct=g]

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/new...ght-crime/

https://www.bioprocessonline.com/doc/can...cisco-0001

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sf/article/h...652260.php

I guess if you don't mind human [BLEEP] in your doorway and used needles on your sidewalks then you're good with what's going on.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 04:12 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-31-2023, 02:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 01:35 PM)mikesez Wrote: Blight hasn't been a problem in the SF bay area for going on decades now.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76112f8ee55b45f2aaadbd...y.gif&ct=g]

I guess if you don't mind human [BLEEP] in your doorway and used needles on your sidewalks then you're good with what's going on.

Blight is when a home or business that could be occupied becomes unoccupied and deteriorates, eventually becoming unoccupiable.
I didn't say SF didn't have problems.  They have a major problem with homelessness.  They have major problems with getting construction done.  But that's not the same thing as blight. In SF, if a structure is occupiable, it is occupied.

(01-31-2023, 12:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 12:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And then the Poors move in and everything goes to hell.

White conservatives tend to focus on the tipping point where an area becomes too affordable (but really they mean too black and brown) but the balance getting tipped the other way is just as bad.

8 out of 10 real estate appraisers may disagree.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-31-2023, 04:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 02:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76112f8ee55b45f2aaadbd...y.gif&ct=g]

Blight is when a home or business that could be occupied becomes unoccupied and deteriorates, eventually becoming unoccupiable.
I didn't say SF didn't have problems.  They have a major problem with homelessness.  They have major problems with getting construction done.  But that's not the same thing as blight.  In SF, if a structure is occupiable, it is occupied.

That's not the definition of blight, you just try to limit the meaning of the word to make you right. Sine Qua Non.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 05:49 PM by mikesez.)

(01-31-2023, 05:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 04:11 PM)mikesez Wrote: Blight is when a home or business that could be occupied becomes unoccupied and deteriorates, eventually becoming unoccupiable.
I didn't say SF didn't have problems.  They have a major problem with homelessness.  They have major problems with getting construction done.  But that's not the same thing as blight.  In SF, if a structure is occupiable, it is occupied.

That's not the definition of blight, you just try to limit the meaning of the word to make you right. Sine Qua Non.

Fine, define blight more broadly, that doesn't change the fact that adding affordable housing to the SF area is likely to do more good than harm, because all of the social problems they have trace back to a shortage of housing in general.

(01-31-2023, 04:42 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 12:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: Not necessarily.  I live next to some affordable housing and my house is pretty expensive.  Expensive and affordable can be right next to each other.  The key is to not let the area become all one or all the other.  If you have too much of one, there is a tipping point where the other can't exist anymore.

8 out of 10 real estate appraisers may disagree.

My subdivision has a nice 8' tall solid fence between us and them.  Probably all Steph Curry is really asking for.

Lol. Yeah. He's asking for an 8' tall fence. There's no way he could pay for that on his own.

Affordable housing won't do jack for the drug addicts and mentally ill who can't keep a job.

On the one hand I don't blame Curry. He pays a premium to live where he does and for reasons I completely understand. He's a well known, high profile athlete who wants privacy and freedom to live without fans showing up. But the hypocrisy is strong so screw him.

(02-02-2023, 01:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Affordable housing won't do jack for the drug addicts and mentally ill who can't keep a job.

On the one hand I don't blame Curry. He pays a premium to live where he does and for reasons I completely understand. He's a well known, high profile athlete who wants privacy and freedom to live without fans showing up. But the hypocrisy is strong so screw him.

Wrong on two levels.
One, for a minority of drug addicts, stable housing really does help them kick the habit.
Two, just because a given policy doesn't fix every single thing that is wrong, does not make it a bad policy.  Tax cuts don't cure drug addiction and mental illness either.  Does that mean we should make no effort to cut taxes?

(02-02-2023, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 01:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Affordable housing won't do jack for the drug addicts and mentally ill who can't keep a job.

Wrong on two levels.
One, for a minority of drug addicts, stable housing really does help them kick the habit.
Two, just because a given policy doesn't fix every single thing that is wrong, does not make it a bad policy.  Tax cuts don't cure drug addiction and mental illness either.  Does that mean we should make no effort to cut taxes?
That’s not what she said. How is an addict with no job going to pay for affordable housing?

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 02:06 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-02-2023, 01:36 PM)InvalidContentWasFoundStarting Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: Wrong on two levels.
That’s not what she said. How is an addict with no job going to pay for affordable housing?

There are programs that place a client in a home for a few months for free then expect the client to get a job and pay their own way after those months are up.

Those programs become much more affordable for the government or the charity when there are plenty of suitable affordable homes available.  And then they reach more people.

Do they work for everyone? No. But they work pretty well compared to other interventions.

In other words, wrong on both levels if you're willing to dream. Come dream with him, Americus...

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2023, 05:39 PM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

I heard Steph is such a proponent for equality that he is going to open up his gate so his pool can serve as the community pool of the low income housing development.  He's actually petitioning the city to pave a path, with a crosswalk, to from the community to his home.

"Affordable housing won't do jack for the drug addicts and mentally ill who can't keep a job."

1) Is that true? If there's one homeless addict who would kick the habit if they got a home, then no, that's not true. Do you really think every single homeless addict wouldn't be able to turn their lives around if they got a home? Every single one?

2) Are all homeless people mentally ill or drug addicted? If no, might the homeless people who aren't addicted to drugs benefit from more affordable housing?

3) does a policy have to benefit homeless drug addicts to be worthwhile? Does it help homeless drug addicts when we send military aid to Ukraine or Israel? Does it help homeless drug addicts when we give cost of living increases to social security?