Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
DeMeco Ryans, HC in Houston

https://apnews.com/article/houston-texan...94742061ff

Going with a defensive HC is more and more interesting these days. 

Will be interesting to see their offensive staff and QB moves.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think he's a great fit for them though. I think he has potential to be a very good HC
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

For the record, 7 of the final 8 teams in the playoffs had head coaches that had an offensive background. Offense is the way to go these days.

It's an interesting move. It makes sense if you think about how the division is more than likely going to have to go through us here in Jacksonville with Pederson and Lawrence.

They have to figure out their QB situation. Safest pick is probably Bryce Young. You could make a case for C.J Stroud as well. Just depends on what happens with Chicago and if any trade opportunities come up.

McNair just needs to settle in and stop playing musical chairs though with this job.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Let's hope it's a failure. They played hard under Lovie Smith, and Ryans is a fiery guy. He will have them playing above their pay grade.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-02-2023, 10:10 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Let's hope it's a failure.  They played hard under Lovie Smith, and Ryans is a fiery guy.  He will have them playing above their pay grade.

Well, if he picked up anything from Shanahan like Saleh did I would expect a similar build out there with Ryans. A run oriented offense with a stout defense. Gives you a QB friendly system. The Jets could have very easily been the 49ers of the AFC last year had they had actual competent and consistent QB play.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-02-2023, 11:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 10:10 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Let's hope it's a failure.  They played hard under Lovie Smith, and Ryans is a fiery guy.  He will have them playing above their pay grade.

Well, if he picked up anything from Shanahan like Saleh did I would expect a similar build out there with Ryans. A run oriented offense with a stout defense. Gives you a QB friendly system. The Jets could have very easily been the 49ers of the AFC last year had they had actual competent and consistent QB play.

Yes, agree on the Jets analogy. They could have easily finished 2nd in the AFC East.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-02-2023, 09:05 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's an interesting move. It makes sense if you think about how the division is more than likely going to have to go through us here in Jacksonville with Pederson and Lawrence.

They have to figure out their QB situation. Safest pick is probably Bryce Young. You could make a case for C.J Stroud as well. Just depends on what happens with Chicago and if any trade opportunities come up.

McNair just needs to settle in and stop playing musical chairs though with this job.

Nah. He can continue it
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Demico Ryans... I must say that's a disappointingly competent hire! 

I was rather hoping a franchise as mired in historical organisational ineptitude as ourselves would have gone rogue one more time for a McCown, or Watt or even Hulk [BLEEP] Hogan!

Not sure why teams are continuing to hire defensive head coaches. It's a thing of the past.

(02-02-2023, 08:10 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Not sure why teams are continuing to hire defensive head coaches. It's a thing of the past.

Agree.  The peeps on 1010xl made a good point this morning.  If you get an offensive coach, you can afford to lose OCs and not have to change your game plan and playbook (as Doug Pederson is running the show).  However, if you have a defensive HC, losing an OC is more dramatic because the new OC is going to change everything and the QB will need to start over.  I think that played a role in the Bills meltdown late in the year --- the loss of Daboll totally impacted their offense as they were not able to make adjustments as they played tougher teams late in the year.

(02-03-2023, 12:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 08:10 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Not sure why teams are continuing to hire defensive head coaches. It's a thing of the past.

Agree.  The peeps on 1010xl made a good point this morning.  If you get an offensive coach, you can afford to lose OCs and not have to change your game plan and playbook (as Doug Pederson is running the show).  However, if you have a defensive HC, losing an OC is more dramatic because the new OC is going to change everything and the QB will need to start over.  I think that played a role in the Bills meltdown late in the year --- the loss of Daboll totally impacted their offense as they were not able to make adjustments as they played tougher teams late in the year.

Also the fact that Ken Dorsey runs his offense like every down is 3rd and 20 and has his qbs do nothing but throw bombs all game doesn't help.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I get Demeco is the hot coordinator this go around, but didn’t they just have essentially the same thing in Lovie Smith as far as a very good defensive coach as HC? The primary difference being they have the #2 pick and will likely take a QB. Wouldn’t you want an offensive guru working with your wet behind the ears QB though? I feel like they’ll realize their mistake toward the end of 2024 and he’ll be on the hot seat but will be given 2025 before getting the axe.

Defense coaches are people too. There is more than one way to be a head coach.