Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jawaan Taylor to Chefs

I'd rather have the compensation 3rd round pick..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hate to see him go but it was inevitable.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Ok so Taylor is replacing Orlando Brown on the Chief's line...they paid him 16mill last year on a 1 year contract. Guess they are planning to not run the ball on that side.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2023, 11:32 PM by wg171. Edited 1 time in total.)

It would seem the team now has two LT’s, a hole at LG, and a hole at RT along the O-Line. With little to no money to spend, pending further cuts/restructures, and with Trevor’s contract upcoming, it will be quite interesting to see how Baalke handles things with expectations running high.

The Chiefs are so dumb, no wonder they suck ; P

(03-13-2023, 09:49 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 04:54 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: They better or the city will never forgive Khan. Also gotta think about Dougy P down the road too and get his pockets right. 

When your team has a 200 to 400 million dollar QB, we won’t have the luxury of having big contracts throughout the roster. I’m thinking somewhere around 250m. He’s the real deal.

Meanwhile Jawan Taylor gets inked to a team with a QB on a HALF BILLION dollar contract..

I get what you're saying tho, but it's funny.

(03-13-2023, 09:47 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Hate to see him go, but that's a lot of money.

I don't hate Jawan Taylor but he was terrible until his contract year.. I'm not that upset, I would have been more upset if we paid him that contract.

The Chiefs signed Mahome Boy back in 2020 which is why they can pay a guy like Taylor this year.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023, 05:17 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-13-2023, 10:06 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'd rather have the compensation 3rd round pick..

I'd rather have a compensatory 3rd round pick than give Jawaan Taylor a 4 year, $80 million contract.  Nothing against Jawaan Taylor; but I don't think he's worth that.  We won't get that comp pick until 2024, though.

Even still. You take the pick.

(03-14-2023, 05:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 10:06 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I'd rather have the compensation 3rd round pick..

I'd rather have a compensatory 3rd round pick than give Jawaan Taylor a 4 year, $80 million contract.  Nothing against Jawaan Taylor; but I don't think he's worth that.  We won't get that comp pick until 2024, though.

Agreed. Don’t think he’s worth close to that.

This post matches the eye test

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/16...39073?s=20

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023, 09:32 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-14-2023, 09:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This post matches the eye test

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/16...39073?s=20

It's a big risk to throw that money at him after one "okay" year, not to mention, the prospect of flipping him from RT to LT in one summer while learning a new system, etc. 

I get the Chiefs though. Mahomes needs to be protected. This is what they have been doing over the past two, three years. If Mahomes is shot in the water. So is their entire season. 

I still bet they draft another offensive lineman to close out the opening night of the draft though. I could see those [BLEEP] going after Torrence if he slips or even Wright to potentially play RT sooner rather than later.

Mahomes has been a great QB but the guy gets beat up a lot. He's fought through a busted kneecap and last year and during the post season he had that ankle injury to work through. That's enough to scare any front office.

That's really the same mentality we need to have here in Jacksonville with Lawrence. That hit he took in Detroit was scary and if his foot or ankle was bent back just a little bit harder?....

Knock on wood. Sheesh.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023, 09:54 AM by JagFan81. Edited 1 time in total.)

I said Taylor would get crazy overpaid if he hit FA and boy did he get overpaid.

$60m guaranteed??!! No thank you.

We can use that cap to help the team in many other areas.

(03-14-2023, 09:50 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: I said Taylor would get crazy overpaid if he hit FA and boy did he get overpayed.

You called it. What about Key?

(03-14-2023, 09:54 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 09:50 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: I said Taylor would get crazy overpaid if he hit FA and boy did he get overpayed.

You called it. What about Key?

Still would like him back here. I'm hoping those will be our moves but I fear a team missing out on their first targets seeing him as a cheaper alternative but still solid production. 

He had a good year for us.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2023, 10:15 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-13-2023, 11:49 PM)jaglyn Wrote: The Chiefs are so dumb, no wonder they suck  ; P

We knew they were dumb when they signed Mahommes to a 10 year $450m contract (avg. $45m per season) a few years ago.

Who would ever pay a QB in the range of $45m per year (that's not a rising star like Daniel Jones).

Apparently they're seeing something that I don't.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-13-2023, 09:12 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 02:50 PM)cat bells Wrote: Big contract ... It is what it is. I just hope the size of the contract, the fact that it's the chiefs and they intend to put him at LT catches a few eyes and nets us a 3rd round comp pick ... Be nice to at least recoup some value in a round where we might find a decent starter.

What exactly has to happen for the Jaguars to net pick?

Not much... There used to be a reasonable article on it on the nfl website which I can't now find but here's a link to a basic guide including this year's picks..

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/...s-get-them  

Basically the league have a 'secret' panel which awards extra draft picks for teams deemed to have lost high quality free agents. It was (and I assume still is) seen as a way of mollifying the better run teams who frequently draft, develop them lose excellent young players. Which is probably the reason Jacksonville haven't see any compensatory selections since David put out that lofty fellas eye with a stone!!! 

However, as it's done under a veil of secrecy its probably the reason the patriots were awarded extra 3rd and 4ths every year until recently ... With specific regards to Taylor, up until yesterday, most mainstream media (including the nfl's own website) places him inside the top 10 available free agents, he's young, coming off his rookie deal, played near enough every snap since he's been drafted, he plays a premium position, and went to the playoffs last year ( admittedly with minor success, but playoffs non the less.)

Then factor in yesterday's news... The fact that the reigning super bowl champs have signed him to protect the best player in the game and offered him what was, (the last time I looked) comfortably this years biggest free agency contract... 

Even given the general league wide indifference to the jaguars, short of going to the super bowl last year it is still very hard to argue that he doesnt sail into the criteria for a 3rd round pick. Although that admittedly is just my own opinion.

When you look at the 49ers haul this year, which is more than some teams entire drafts in recent years, it does start to make sense why the better run franchises have looked to protect their comp picks in recent years, ... That 9ers haul could turn them into a monster if they utilise them well! 

It might also factor in in a small way why Baalke has been relatively quiet so far. If he thinks the benefits of those future picks outweighs any real gains he can make at the moment through free agency he might just choose to sit pat and play a longer game rather than risk giving the panel an excuse to slide us back to a 5th/6th/7th rounder, especially if he expects to lose Key and Smoot as well. 

Not i freely admit the gospel on this subject so if any other boarders can nail things down further is be happy to hear any further views but I hope that helps a wee bit ... I think we'd all prefer to keep hold of our better players in the long run but you can't pay them all so it's definitely an area we need to be aware of and do our best to exploit hopefully as we transition into a being more of a draft/develop franchise than slinging money around year after year

Thank you for your service Jawaan. Good luck in the future.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Compensatory picks used to be about players lost and gained as free agents only.
Recently they added coaches lost vs coaches gained. If your assistant coaches are leaving for better positions and you're replacing them with coaches with lower resumes, that means you're developing coaching talent and they reward that with compensatory picks now. Especially if those coaches are black. Hopefully the black part is temporary, once there is a fair amount of representation for black coaches, they will phase that out.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-14-2023, 10:02 AM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 09:54 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: You called it. What about Key?

Still would like him back here. I'm hoping those will be our moves but I fear a team missing out on their first targets seeing him as a cheaper alternative but still solid production. 

He had a good year for us.

He sure did. Key affected the game and the stats won’t tell the whole story. I hope they figure out a way to keep Key and get Engram inked long term. I’m also hoping Engram doesn’t do any of that hold out crap. And I’m still keeping an eye on my boy swag.