Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack proved he can play outside

Quote:Think about it though. These are the teams who would have seen Telvin in tape.

All of our divisional opponents.

All of our divisional opponents opponents would have watched tape of our D against Texans/tacks/clots offenses.

All of our other opponents would have watched tape on Telvin.

Then you have the guys who are just big football fans and watch bits of everyone.

Then remember that almost every team would have a dossier on Telvin from draft all the way to the pros.

Now times that by 2 because he has played for two years.

Yeah but they didn't read the PFF articles so....
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I bet the NFL players don't even read Justis Mosqueda's blog, or know what ankle flexion is lol lol lol
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Even though Telvin isn't consistent in pass coverage and takes some bad angles, he at least does make a lot of big plays. A lot of TFLs, etc.

That's why he belongs on the field.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

poz is the one that should be off the field, hes barely good

Quote:After seeing Smith flat out WHIFF on a couple Bengals tackles, I find it hard to disagree with you. Did Telvin overachieve last year?

May be worthwhile to see how he looks this year first...
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco'>Michael DiRocco ‏@ESPNdirocco </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ESPNdirocco/status/772832664546082817' title="2:24 PM - 5 Sep 2016">55m55 minutes ago</a>

<p class="" style="font-size:26px;">Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said LB Myles Jack is primarily playing weakside linebacker right now. Have better idea of role late in week.

Telvin and Jack should be on the field at the same time.  Period.  They are both too talented for either to be on the bench too much.  

Telvin is far from a liability in coverage. Coming out of college that was one of his strengths. If people are really saying he should come off the field for Jack instead of Poz who was notoriously bad in coverage last year i dont know what to say.

He has shown the ability to make plays in the passing game he even had a near pick and 2 tipped passes preseason in roughly 1.5 games of playing time. We already know he is more then capable of run stuffs and occasional blitzing.

No way should we be seeing 3rd down nickel sets without our 2 fastest playmaking LBs on the field.

@ESPNdirocco He would back up Jack, play special teams. Smith gets out of position a lot and that has caused issues. https://t.co/N7rAOoLH9o

Telvin is really struggling and alot of people are seeing that. This writer seems to think Jack takes over sooner rather than later.

We will see. I wouldn't mind seeing Jack start over Telvin, with Telvin coming in with Jack on nickle packages. I have a feeling this is Poz's last year with the team if Jack makes an impact this season. Telvin did not have a good preseason.

How on earth can we bench Smith. I just can't fathom that.

Whatever man.

Quote:How on earth can we bench Smith. I just can't fathom that.

Whatever man.

He's struggling. He's always out of position.

I think they'll focus on getting Telvin to stay in position more consistently rather than starting Jack at WLB. 

Just my gut on the matter.  But if Jack is an upgrade, he's an upgrade.  Myles and Telvin on nickel still needs to happen regardless. 

via O'Halloran:

Quote:As for Jack’s participation on defense against Green Bay, Bradley said: “We’ll look and see how this week goes. He gives us flexibility. If he continues to play [well], we’ll have to find a role for him. … Where he fits in defensively right now, ask me more toward the end of the week.”

Quote:Telvin is far from a liability in coverage. Coming out of college that was one of his strengths. If people are really saying he should come off the field for Jack instead of Poz who was notoriously bad in coverage last year i dont know what to say.

Basically, they have both been notoriously bad in coverage...but at least Poz gets everyone else in the right spots and doesn't blow assignments himself. He's just outmatched physically.

Telvin obviously has the physical tools, but has more than his share of mental lapses and doesn't contribute to helping the rest of the defense get set. Therefore he is looking more likely to go to the bench in nickel once they deem Jack is ready.

Quote:Basically, they have both been notoriously bad in coverage...

Telvin hasn't been "notoriously bad" in coverage.  He's had enough mental errors to be questioned, but "notoriously bad" is a laughable description. 

Quote: 

Telvin obviously has the physical tools, but has more than his share of mental lapses and doesn't contribute to helping the rest of the defense get set. Therefore he is looking more likely to go to the bench in nickel once they deem Jack is ready.

I think Telvin and Myles on nickel would be much wiser.  Unless Smith is somehow an uncoachable diva all of a sudden, his issues are fixable.

Quote:Telvin hasn't been "notoriously bad" in coverage.  He's had enough mental errors to be questioned, but "notoriously bad" is a laughable description. 

I think Telvin and Myles on nickel would be much wiser.  Unless Smith is somehow an uncoachable diva all of a sudden, his issues are fixable.
"11. No NFL linebacker duo allowed more yards in coverage than Jacksonville’s Telvin Smith and Paul Posluszny (1,178) last season."

Just because you say he isn't bad in coverage doesn't make it true. He and Poz were the very worst LB duo in the league last year, and it wasn't all Poz's fault. They are both bad, but the team at least believes that Poz can help intrinsically by helping the rest of the defense get in the right alignments.

If the team eventually believes that Jack can handle getting the defense set properly then perhaps he and Telvin can be the nickel pairing, but they aren't there yet. Until then, Poz is going to stay on the field in the passing game. 

Quote:"11. No NFL linebacker duo allowed more yards in coverage than Jacksonville’s Telvin Smith and Paul Posluszny (1,178) last season."

Just because you say he isn't bad in coverage doesn't make it true. He and Poz were the very worst LB duo in the league last year, and it wasn't all Poz's fault. They are both bad, but the team at least believes that Poz can help intrinsically by helping the rest of the defense get in the right alignments.

If the team eventually believes that Jack can handle getting the defense set properly then perhaps he and Telvin can be the nickel pairing, but they aren't there yet. Until then, Poz is going to stay on the field in the passing game. 
  "Notoriously bad" huh?  Not buying it.  What's your source? 

Anyone with a brain can watch Telvin play and know that he's not the most disciplined, can overrun plays and get himself out of position, but it's also easy to see that he makes some very good plays in coverage. 

Your description is nothing more than your own hyperbole. 

They need to just scrap this Leo and Otto crap and switch to running a normal 4-3. But I don think our personnel is set up right for that since we like to have the big end and NT on the line.

Crucify Telvin Smith!!!

Jack must not have the time to learn MLB this season, I guess he'll just backup Telvin Smith. A real shame we won't see them both on the field together, but oh well.