Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myles Jack proved he can play outside

the otto isn't really not on the field all that much anyway as the nfl is like 50% nickel defense nowadays. Skuta is usually in play 1 and depending on the down and distance swops out for colvin/ prince on play 2 or 3.

Skuta probably gets 20-25 snaps a game top end and maybe a few in at leo when we play 2

The only reason jack isn't in for poz already is poz runs the defense and instead of having jack worrying about all the mental aspects they're just letting him play free and learn to be an lb in the nfl.

I wouldn't be even slightly suprised to see jack swopping in for poz like week 12 but for now they will swop him in with smith and probably in certain set situations to let him get his reps.

Don't even see the issue

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Id like to see skuta more at leo honestly

Quote:the otto isn't really not on the field all that much anyway as the nfl is like 50% nickel defense nowadays. Skuta is usually in play 1 and depending on the down and distance swops out for colvin/ prince on play 2 or 3.

Skuta probably gets 20-25 snaps a game top end and maybe a few in at leo when we play 2

The only reason jack isn't in for poz already is poz runs the defense and instead of having jack worrying about all the mental aspects they're just letting him play free and learn to be an lb in the nfl.

I wouldn't be even slightly suprised to see jack swopping in for poz like week 12 but for now they will swop him in with smith and probably in certain set situations to let him get his reps.

Don't even see the issue
this ^

And the talk of Telvin being supplanted is over blown.

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2016, 11:51 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

Yep after Gus's stupid scheme and staff give us another frustrating train wreck of a season hopefully the new coaching employs a 3-4. If that meant trading Telvin Smith I'm sure there are teams that would love to have him. We don't have the players and mental awareness that the Seahawks and Panthers do to make their stuff work. 

No pain, no gain.

Quote:Yes, and very much no at the same time. Obviously, they know more than we we do...but they aren't watching nearly as much. These guys are focusing on their opponents all week, they aren't watching Telvin (or any other non opponent) very much at all. If they are our opponents they watch us for one week (two if it's a division rival) and then they are on to their next guy, never to watch again. 

I would all but guarantee that a fan of a team that also happens to know a decent bit about football (while also keeping biases in mind) is significantly more in tune to what the true talent of the players on that team than the average player in the NFL. 

Get over yourself.

These guys are way more informed than you will ever be. They actually play the game and understand from personal experience what makes one player better than another.

You act like they just randomly pulled Smith's name out of a hat.

Quote:Yes, and very much no at the same time. Obviously, they know more than we we do...but they aren't watching nearly as much. These guys are focusing on their opponents all week, they aren't watching Telvin (or any other non opponent) very much at all. If they are our opponents they watch us for one week (two if it's a division rival) and then they are on to their next guy, never to watch again.

I would all but guarantee that a fan of a team that also happens to know a decent bit about football (while also keeping biases in mind) is significantly more in tune to what the true talent of the players on that team than the average player in the NFL.
I would all but guarantee that It's delusion to think you are more in tune with an NFL team than it's coaching staff.

Quote:I would all but guarantee that It's delusion to think you are more in tune with an NFL team than it's coaching staff.

But spidercharts and forceplayers!
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I would all but guarantee that It's delusion to think you are more in tune with an NFL team than it's coaching staff.
That's not at all what I said... the NFL players are who voted on that crappy list not their own coaches.

I said I am (along with any other reasonably educated and unbiased Jags fan) more in tune with how good Telvin really is than Joe Blow on the 49ers who is spending 99% of his film time watching his actual opponents and not Telvin. Especially a defensive Joe Blow from that team that will look at Telvin exactly zero times except for what he might see on sportscenter. 

(This post was last modified: 09-04-2016, 01:07 PM by Predator.)

Quote:That's not at all what I said... the NFL players are who voted on that crappy list not their own coaches.

I said I am (along with any other reasonably educated and unbiased Jags fan) more in tune with how good Telvin really is than Joe Blow on the 49ers who is spending 99% of his film time watching his actual opponents and not Telvin. Especially a defensive Joe Blow from that team that will look at Telvin exactly zero times except for what he might see on sportscenter. 

Like I said, these ignorant NFL players must have just pulled his name out of a hat. Their knowledge of fellow players in the games pales in comparison to yours.

I mean you are the only person who has free time to watch NFL games outside of work.

Quote:Like I said, these ignorant NFL players must have just pulled his name out of a hat. Their knowledge of fellow players in the games pales in comparison to yours.

I mean you are the only person who has free time to watch NFL games outside of work.

I bet these players don't even look at efficiency stats or even know what a spider chart is. Everybody knows football games are won by pimple-faced, cheeto guzzling nerds looking at spreadsheets.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:In a perfect Utopia, Telvin and Myles are on the field at the same time. Great athleticism. Replacing Skuta with Myles is ignorant as Jack's skills would be dwarfed playing his spot. In time, Jack will replace Poz.

My point is don't annoit Telvin as the next great LB. He's been above average on a horrible team. Jack is an upgrade.

Telvin is better then Poz and Skuta ... Hes faster younger and more athletic.. Poz sucks in pass coverage as well and he is slow.. Telvin hasnt even reached his potential yet.. You need to chill...

Quote:Honestly, what can Cyp do better or more athletically than Jack?

NOTHING

I've been saying this since Jack was drafted. He certainly has the athleticism to play SS and would probably be pro bowler at the position.

'02

Quote:Good enough to bench Smith on run downs, IMO.

After seeing Smith flat out WHIFF on a couple Bengals tackles, I find it hard to disagree with you. Did Telvin overachieve last year?

'02

Quote:Why not put jack at weak side, poz in middle, and telvin at Otto? Telvin is just as good if not better than skuta in run support and about equal in pass rush

I've considered this because Telvin is probably our best pass rushing LB, but the OTTO plays the strongside, and Telvin is a very small player comparatively speaking.

'02

Quote:If we bench telvin we are even worse coached than I could have ever imagined. Puz is who needs benching, and bady. He cant cover a lineman in coverage. He is done. Telvin and Myles should be the nickel LBs and idk why everyone says telvin is bad in coverage hes lightyears better than any other LB on the team not named myles jack

I was wondering about the Telvin being bad in coverage claim as well, but I figured they must have seen something I haven't. I haven't really noticed Telvin in coverage to get a read on him there, however, the guy ran a 4.52 at the combine. For a LB, that's really, really fast.

'02

Quote:232 tackles

2 INT's

5 FF

Top 100 2016

Should've made pro bowl

Yeah, lets bench him. 

Good point. I just hope he can keep it up because those whiffs remind me of when Kevin Hardy started going downhill. Then again, Telvin just turned 25 a few months ago, so maybe it was just preseason jitters.

Depending on how well Telvin can actually cover, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him to SS instead of Jack.

'02

Too much worry about Telvin in here.  He's a very good WLB even if a bit undersized.  His lapses in coverage are very correctable. 

The team playing Jack there in a preseason game doesn't spell the end for him as a starter. 

I still really like the idea of Jack and Telvin playing together in nickel with Poz/Telvin/Skuta doing the base package stuff. It should be very effective and Jack will replace Poz by the end of the year most likely anyway. 

For the life of me, I don't get why people refuse to accept that scenario. 

Obviously, the team will define Jack's role at some point and we'll speculate until then, but this scenario just seems to make perfect sense. 

All the Poz hate is overblown as well, BTW.  He's still very good on 1st and 2nd down. 

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2016, 09:10 AM by JackCity.)

Quote:That's not at all what I said... the NFL players are who voted on that crappy list not their own coaches.

Think about it though. These are the teams who would have seen Telvin in tape.

All of our divisional opponents.

All of our divisional opponents opponents would have watched tape of our D against Texans/tacks/clots offenses.

All of our other opponents would have watched tape on Telvin.

Then you have the guys who are just big football fans and watch bits of everyone.

Then remember that almost every team would have a dossier on Telvin from draft all the way to the pros.

Now times that by 2 because he has played for two years.

Quote:I've considered this because Telvin is probably our best pass rushing LB, but the OTTO plays the strongside, and Telvin is a very small player comparatively speaking.

"Strongside" only refers to the side where the TE is lined up. A LB doesn't have to be bigger to play there. No LB is going to overpower a TE. It's up to the defense as a whole to account for the extra blocker. The OTTO is different from the typical SAM LB in Gus' scheme.

Which begs the question, why is it Gus' scheme and not Wash's scheme?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I'm still amused by the idea that a WIL plays "outside".
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!