Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(02-26-2023, 06:24 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 03:56 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Engram is the #1 priority.

I might never understand this sentiment.  700 yards from the TE position isn't a break the bank end of franchise situation.  We have the QB.  We can't fall in love with every good TE or slot receiver that comes through here over the next two decades.  GREAT?  That's a different level, but Engram aint gronk, he aint Kelce, he aint kittle, etc.  You can find a quality move TE in the draft.
Engram is possibly the most athletic tight end in the. NFL outside of maybe Kyle Pitts, hes still pretty young and this past season he seemed to really show signs of progression in the areas he formerly struggled with in new york. He has the ability to be an absolute stud if he can continue to progress in our offense and it would be absurdly stupid to let him walk.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2023, 08:15 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-26-2023, 08:00 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 06:24 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I might never understand this sentiment.  700 yards from the TE position isn't a break the bank end of franchise situation.  We have the QB.  We can't fall in love with every good TE or slot receiver that comes through here over the next two decades.  GREAT?  That's a different level, but Engram aint gronk, he aint Kelce, he aint kittle, etc.  You can find a quality move TE in the draft.
Engram is possibly the most athletic tight end in the. NFL outside of maybe Kyle Pitts, hes still pretty young and this past season he seemed to really show signs of progression in the areas he formerly struggled with in new york. He has the ability to be an absolute stud if he can continue to progress in our offense and it would be absurdly stupid to let him walk.
Some coaches just know how to scheme for the TE and have a TE friendly offense more than others. Other than Ried not sure there is a coach that uses his TE better than DP.  If we didn't resign Engram and Gesicki came here I'd bet anything Gesicki would have a career year.  But yeah, Egram has always been a athletic and talented TE. The QB helps as well as Trevor has always loved to use his TE

(02-26-2023, 04:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 03:15 PM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: for sure man! couple smart re-signings & restructuring going on.  

I really like the addition of Rourke and resigning CJB to mentor Trevor and provide a veteran to the room, he'll probably help Rourke adjust to the NFL next year.

+1. 

It's a requirement at this point in time.

Beathard isn't mentoring Trevor.

The idea that Trevor needs more coaching, and Cooter, Press, McCoy, and Pederson weren't enough to show him how to watch film is absurd.

That the team would waste cap space on a guy that realistically won't win the games they'd need him to win, anyway, tells my Baalke still doesn't get it. If the Jags win a superbowl with him still in charge of would show Trevor's and Doug's ability to overcome a lack of surrounding talent.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2023, 08:38 PM by MJonesD_32.)

(02-26-2023, 07:29 PM)TownCenterJag Wrote: Just because CJB doesn’t have the talent or accolades that Trevor does doesn’t mean that he can’t provide him guidance and help him get better. CJB has his own experiences as a football player that Trevor can learn from. If that’s the case and he can manage the offense in a pinch then it seems reasonable to keep him as a back up.

That's what i was trying to say but obviously ppl read too far into it...

(02-26-2023, 07:29 PM)TownCenterJag Wrote: Just because CJB doesn’t have the talent or accolades that Trevor does doesn’t mean that he can’t provide him guidance and help him get better. CJB has his own experiences as a football player that Trevor can learn from. If that’s the case and he can manage the offense in a pinch then it seems reasonable to keep him as a back up.

That's what i was trying to say but obviously ppl read too far into it...

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2023, 08:48 PM by Eric1. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-26-2023, 08:22 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 04:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Beathard isn't mentoring Trevor.

The idea that Trevor needs more coaching, and Cooter, Press, McCoy, and Pederson weren't enough to show him how to watch film is absurd.

That the team would waste cap space on a guy that realistically won't win the games they'd need him to win, anyway, tells my Baalke still doesn't get it. If the Jags win a superbowl with him still in charge of would show Trevor's and Doug's ability to overcome a lack of surrounding talent.

The coaches have enough on their plates during the week/s that they can't be with/teach the players 24/7.. Even if they could, that's not allowed in the rules with how strict it has become over the years.

The players can get together whenever they want and spend as much time together as they want. CJ can go over to Trevor's house anytime of the year and they can break down film etc etc. The coaches can't do that.

I might never understand this sentiment.  700 yards from the TE position isn't a break the bank end of franchise situation.  We have the QB.  We can't fall in love with every good TE or slot receiver that comes through here over the next two decades.  GREAT?  That's a different level, but Engram aint gronk, he aint Kelce, he aint kittle, etc.  You can find a quality move TE in the draft.
The big things to keep in mind are that he is here, he has been productive in the offense, he can be more productive in this offense, and he wants to be here. So, yeah. He's a priority. I'd still like them to find a TE in the draft to pair with him (Farrell isn't it). He's an excellent safe play for Trevor when things break down and he needs somebody reliable. You keep players like that.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2023, 10:05 PM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-26-2023, 08:47 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 08:22 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The idea that Trevor needs more coaching, and Cooter, Press, McCoy, and Pederson weren't enough to show him how to watch film is absurd.

The coaches have enough on their plates during the week/s that they can't be with/teach the players 24/7.. Even if they could, that's not allowed in the rules with how strict it has become over the years.

The players can get together whenever they want and spend as much time together as they want. CJ can go over to Trevor's house anytime of the year and they can break down film etc etc. The coaches can't do that.
So you think the team should be using cap space because four coaches don't have time to teach Trevor how to watch film, and after two years of being taught by Beathard Trevor still hasn't learned how to watch it himself.

Got it.

(02-26-2023, 09:59 PM)raptor6581 Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 06:24 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I might never understand this sentiment.  700 yards from the TE position isn't a break the bank end of franchise situation.  We have the QB.  We can't fall in love with every good TE or slot receiver that comes through here over the next two decades.  GREAT?  That's a different level, but Engram aint gronk, he aint Kelce, he aint kittle, etc.  You can find a quality move TE in the draft.
The big things to keep in mind are that he is here, he has been productive in the offense, he can be more productive in this offense, and he wants to be here. So, yeah. He's a priority. I'd still like them to find a TE in the draft to pair with him (Farrell isn't it). He's an excellent safe play for Trevor when things break down and he needs somebody reliable. You keep players like that.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk
Bird in the hand man.

Engram is a hard worker, he’s very talented, he enjoys playing here and has a clear relationship with Trevor.

Win win win win

(02-26-2023, 10:03 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 08:47 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The coaches have enough on their plates during the week/s that they can't be with/teach the players 24/7.. Even if they could, that's not allowed in the rules with how strict it has become over the years.

So you think the team should be using cap space because four coaches don't have time to teach Trevor how to watch film, and after two years of being taught by Beathard Trevor still hasn't learned how to watch it himself.

Got it.

If that's what you took away from that then that's a you problem because I said nothing of the sort. Keep missing the point and assuming stuff, along with stay being mad about the team spending a measly $2m. Which is the average for a back up Vet QB.

You're acting like they just signed him to $10m per.

Some numbers on the Hasty deal
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/stat...6978467841

To be clear, I'm not advocating against Engram as a player. He's a nice piece and helps the team. In a perfect world id keep him.

He's 28, this should be the biggest contract he's ever going to sign. I don't think he takes a cap friendly deal in his situation.

If he does GREAT! With Ridley here this offense could be a nightmare, just don't come in here telling me 4 years 70 million cuz bird in the hand.

(02-26-2023, 10:37 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 10:03 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: So you think the team should be using cap space because four coaches don't have time to teach Trevor how to watch film, and after two years of being taught by Beathard Trevor still hasn't learned how to watch it himself.

Got it.

If that's what you took away from that then that's a you problem because I said nothing of the sort. Keep missing the point and assuming stuff, along with stay being mad about the team spending a measly $2m. Which is the average for a back up Vet QB.

Just own the L.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2023, 07:10 AM by Eric1.)

(02-27-2023, 06:50 AM)jj82284 Wrote: To be clear, I'm not advocating against Engram as a player.  He's a nice piece and helps the team.  In a perfect world id keep him. 

He's 28, this should be the biggest contract he's ever going to sign.  I don't think he takes a cap friendly deal in his situation. 

If he does GREAT!  With Ridley here this offense could be a nightmare, just don't come in here telling me 4 years 70 million cuz bird in the hand.

You're pulling numbers straight out of your [BLEEP] bro... 4 years for 70 million? You really think he's going to be the highest paid TE ever? Averaging $17.5m per year LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Relax bro.

(02-27-2023, 07:03 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 10:37 PM)Eric1 Wrote: If that's what you took away from that then that's a you problem because I said nothing of the sort. Keep missing the point and assuming stuff, along with stay being mad about the team spending a measly $2m. Which is the average for a back up Vet QB.

Just own the L.

Says the kid having a hissy fit over $2m that isn't even his money.

After last year, my default position on any signing is to trust Baalke and Pederson. I think they've shown they know how to put together a football team.

(02-26-2023, 08:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 08:00 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Engram is possibly the most athletic tight end in the. NFL outside of maybe Kyle Pitts, hes still pretty young and this past season he seemed to really show signs of progression in the areas he formerly struggled with in new york. He has the ability to be an absolute stud if he can continue to progress in our offense and it would be absurdly stupid to let him walk.
Some coaches just know how to scheme for the TE and have a TE friendly offense more than others. Other than Ried not sure there is a coach that uses his TE better than DP.  If we didn't resign Engram and Gesicki came here I'd bet anything Gesicki would have a career year.  But yeah, Egram has always been a athletic and talented TE.  The QB helps as well as Trevor has always loved to use his TE

Also if anybody cared to look at his stats, this year was hardly his career year, in his rookie season he had 40 less yards and 2 more tds with an old elo manning throwing him the ball. And while he had slightly leas yards that season he also played one less game. His big knock was drops, which he didnt really have much of an issue with this year and lets also keep in mind that he wasnt being targeted much early on in the season, once he became morr of a focal point of the offense this team started playing much better football on that side of the ball.

So we’re now complaining about a 2m cap hit for a back up quarter back. What’s the alternative don’t have a back up to save the 2m. Or let’s get a rookie who potentially becomes a distraction to Trevor trying to prepare, it’s a back up spot between someone who knows the system and the guys and the league or a rookie who knows nothing who is going to be asking questions daily trying to learn.
Give me the vet every time.
Listening to Aaron Rodgers talk on the pat Mac show he’s spoke countless times about locker room guys and keeping people good for the culture. Not a single person on this bored can say with any knowledge who’s good and who isn’t. Maybe cjb is a guy who the players like and is on close to a vet minimum contract so they kept him.

As for it been easy to replace engram in the draft. Let’s put that to bed or every team in the league would have a superstar tight end.

Doug spoke when he came about keeping players around and keeping the culture there and he’s doing it. These players no the standards there held to and know the standards to hold other players to. I know baalke isn’t everyone’s favourite guy and we’re all scared of the same old jags. But this last 12 months the head coach and gm combo has earned the right to be trusted in my opinion

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2023, 10:09 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-27-2023, 09:18 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-26-2023, 08:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Some coaches just know how to scheme for the TE and have a TE friendly offense more than others. Other than Ried not sure there is a coach that uses his TE better than DP.  If we didn't resign Engram and Gesicki came here I'd bet anything Gesicki would have a career year.  But yeah, Egram has always been a athletic and talented TE.  The QB helps as well as Trevor has always loved to use his TE

Also if anybody cared to look at his stats, this year was hardly his career year, in his rookie season he had 40 less yards and 2 more tds with an old elo manning throwing him the ball. And while he had slightly leas yards that season he also played one less game. His big knock was drops, which he didnt really have much of an issue with this year and lets also keep in mind that he wasnt being targeted much early on in the season, once he became morr of a focal point of the offense this team started playing much better football on that side of the ball.
I think everyone has seen his stats.  He's been banged up at times in his career also.  You cant just look at stats though, this year was by far his best season.  We he came into the league he wasn't a good blocker, he's improved his blocking a good margin.  That's what impressed me the most last year about his game, how much he improved in that aspected and that don't show up on the stat sheet and that's a huge part of a TEs game.  There were alot of plays last year where he made some key blocks. He's a complete TE now

Yes, this kind of TE production is so easy to achieve that we haven't done it in over 20 years.

(02-27-2023, 06:50 AM)jj82284 Wrote: To be clear, I'm not advocating against Engram as a player.  He's a nice piece and helps the team.  In a perfect world id keep him. 

He's 28, this should be the biggest contract he's ever going to sign.  I don't think he takes a cap friendly deal in his situation. 

If he does GREAT!  With Ridley here this offense could be a nightmare, just don't come in here telling me 4 years 70 million cuz bird in the hand.
Well good thing no one has even come close to mentioning 4 years for 70 million.....

Where did you come up with these numbers or are you just making it up because you think some of us would sign Engram to a blank check? Which is not the case at all if you have been paying attention.

CJ Beathard hasn't won the job, he'll compete with the new guy in camp and if he's cut there's no real financial impact.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato