Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(02-27-2023, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 10:34 AM)Mikey Wrote: if that's what you want, find a retired guy who played a bunch and recently, pay him to be an assistant to the position coach, and they can spend all day working film, scouting, and sharing this kind of input without taking up roster spots or cap space.

There is already a good dynamic in place with CJ/TL.  Doug and Trevor both spoke highly of it at different points in 2022.
It is clearly valued, and cost very little to maintain the continuity. 
I don't understand what is bad about that.

The conversation here was more geared to bringing in a Brandon Graham to tutor Allen and Walker.  I agree with you that a lot of the backup QB's job is to be the supporting role of collaborating with both coaches and starter to be sure he's understanding the details of playbook, gameplan, film study, etc on the sideline. Graham ain't signing for peanuts, and it's a much more different story outside of the QB position w/r/t aging vets and their roles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-27-2023, 01:33 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 01:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: He's the best TE we've ever had.  He wants to be here.  The front office and coaching staff wants him to be here.  He's going to be here.  They are going to sign him to a nice fat contract.  It's going to happen.  Just accept it.

My man, you are wasting your digital breath on some of these people.  They seem to want to recede back to mediocrity just to save a few bucks for less quality and experience.  Sometimes you gotta shop at Nordstrom's and not Dollar Tree to maintain your level.

I know, we finally have a decent team, and some people want to jettison players because they might cost some money.  Fortunately for all of us, these people are not running the team.

(02-27-2023, 01:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 01:09 PM)jj82284 Wrote: As for this rapport, am I missing something?  Guy catches a 2 yard drag route and outrun a linebacker is that indispensable rapport?  It's not like he was catching back shoulder fades in double coverage .

He's the best TE we've ever had.  He wants to be here.  The front office and coaching staff wants him to be here.  He's going to be here.  They are going to sign him to a nice fat contract.  It's going to happen.  Just accept it.

nah, I want to watch the implosion. We need some entertainment, now that we've moved on from the annual task of seeking out the scapegoat of another lost season and focusing all our vitriol on that poor, unsuspecting person.

FIGHT IT WITH EVERY OUNCE OF YOUR BEING, jj. WE ARE COUNTING ON YOU

(02-27-2023, 01:56 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There is already a good dynamic in place with CJ/TL.  Doug and Trevor both spoke highly of it at different points in 2022.

The conversation here was more geared to bringing in a Brandon Graham to tutor Allen and Walker.  I agree with you that a lot of the backup QB's job is to be the supporting role of collaborating with both coaches and starter to be sure he's understanding the details of playbook, gameplan, film study, etc on the sideline. Graham ain't signing for peanuts, and it's a much more different story outside of the QB position w/r/t aging vets and their roles.

gotcha 

thanks

I think the only thing that is going to shore up our pass rush in the short term is better coverage and a bit more  interior disruption unless they draft an early pick who comes out of the gate rushing the edge like a freak show.
(doubtful) 
I don't think player tutelage is the answer there, even if the right player could ostensibly help Walker along. 
At what cost do you justify it?

(02-27-2023, 01:56 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 11:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There is already a good dynamic in place with CJ/TL.  Doug and Trevor both spoke highly of it at different points in 2022.

I don't want any arrow pointing down free agents (Chandler Jones, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham et al). That's a Coughlin era preference that needs to go. You wind up with guys coming here for a final payday, like Hugh Douglas. Thankfully, Balke seems to target guys with a lot left in their tanks.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(02-27-2023, 03:03 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 01:56 PM)Mikey Wrote: The conversation here was more geared to bringing in a Brandon Graham to tutor Allen and Walker.  I agree with you that a lot of the backup QB's job is to be the supporting role of collaborating with both coaches and starter to be sure he's understanding the details of playbook, gameplan, film study, etc on the sideline. Graham ain't signing for peanuts, and it's a much more different story outside of the QB position w/r/t aging vets and their roles.

I don't want any arrow pointing down free agents (Chandler Jones, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham et al). That's a Coughlin era preference that needs to go. You wind up with guys coming here for a final payday, like Hugh Douglas. Thankfully, Balke seems to target guys with a lot left in their tanks.
He could only do that before because the Jags had a ton of cap space.

I wouldn't hate an older vet pass rusher on a small deal like Justin Houston. Dude still put up 9.5 sacks last year at age 33.

(02-27-2023, 03:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 03:03 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I don't want any arrow pointing down free agents (Chandler Jones, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham et al). That's a Coughlin era preference that needs to go. You wind up with guys coming here for a final payday, like Hugh Douglas. Thankfully, Balke seems to target guys with a lot left in their tanks.
He could only do that before because the Jags had a ton of cap space.

I wouldn't hate an older vet pass rusher on a small deal like Justin Houston. Dude still put up 9.5 sacks last year at age 33.

Sure, an older guy on a small deal who would put up 9.5 sacks?  Who wouldn't want that?  On the other hand, what are the chances that could actually happen?

I hope we draft a TE with one of our first 2 picks. Whether we sign Engram or not. We have passed on one way too long and there are some really good ones available this year that realistically have the potential to drop to us.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-27-2023, 05:00 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 03:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He could only do that before because the Jags had a ton of cap space.

Sure, an older guy on a small deal who would put up 9.5 sacks?  Who wouldn't want that?  On the other hand, what are the chances that could actually happen?
Well it just happened so I don’t know…. 50%? Lol

Can’t have too many pass rushers. Young and old.

(02-27-2023, 07:03 PM)Dimson Wrote: I hope we draft a TE with one of our first 2 picks. Whether we sign Engram or not. We have passed on one way too long and there are some really good ones available this year that realistically have the potential to drop to us.

I respectfully disagree. We need to sign engram and draft a cb. Jags need a help on defense still.

(02-27-2023, 09:11 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 07:03 PM)Dimson Wrote: I hope we draft a TE with one of our first 2 picks. Whether we sign Engram or not. We have passed on one way too long and there are some really good ones available this year that realistically have the potential to drop to us.

I respectfully disagree. We need to sign engram and draft a cb. Jags need a help on defense still.
I didn't say we needed to draft them with the first pick. But I'm certain one of the top 5 will drop to our second pick.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

If they can get something done with Engram I expect them to apply the non-exclusive franchise tag to Taylor. That should be enough to keep teams like Chicago with a lot of cap space from making too many waves in our negotiations. Well, unless they want to risk us not matching their offer and getting their next 2 first round picks.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(02-13-2023, 12:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It has officially begun! 

Free agency begins March 15 with the two days of "legal tampering" negotiations starting two days prior. 

The draft is 73 days away on April 27th.

But the NFL allowed teams to return to a 90 man roster today. Jags brought back most of their practice squad when that happened.

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...GZ_KJcMsQg

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...GZ_KJcMsQg

(02-27-2023, 05:00 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 03:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He could only do that before because the Jags had a ton of cap space.

Then at age 34 he’s learning a new system and only puts up 4.5 sacks and misses a stretch of games due to nagging injuries.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(02-27-2023, 11:57 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 09:11 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I respectfully disagree. We need to sign engram and draft a cb. Jags need a help on defense still.
I didn't say we needed to draft them with the first pick. But I'm certain one of the top 5 will drop to our second pick.

Yeah, I’d be down for that. This should be a very interesting draft. Jags could use an impact player on the d line too along with a good cb.

(02-27-2023, 01:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 01:09 PM)jj82284 Wrote: As for this rapport, am I missing something?  Guy catches a 2 yard drag route and outrun a linebacker is that indispensable rapport?  It's not like he was catching back shoulder fades in double coverage .

He's the best TE we've ever had.  He wants to be here.  The front office and coaching staff wants him to be here.  He's going to be here.  They are going to sign him to a nice fat contract.  It's going to happen.  Just accept it.

To quote the immortal vic Ketchman "dime a dozen"

If there was no cap I wouldn't care.   As long as the deal doesn't jeopardize or future I won't care. If they throw stupid money @ him....

(02-28-2023, 08:08 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(02-27-2023, 01:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: He's the best TE we've ever had.  He wants to be here.  The front office and coaching staff wants him to be here.  He's going to be here.  They are going to sign him to a nice fat contract.  It's going to happen.  Just accept it.

To quote the immortal vic Ketchman "dime a dozen"

If there was no cap I wouldn't care.   As long as the deal doesn't jeopardize or future I won't care. If they throw stupid money @ him....

You really think Engram is a dime-a-dozen TE, easily replaceable?

Reporting that we converted $32M of Kirk and Scherff salaries to bonus. Creating $26.14M in cap.

Like I said yesterday, whether it's an extension or a tag, Engram will be a Jag this year.

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...77411?s=20

So we’re close to 40 under after we cut griffin? Who are we targeting?

(02-28-2023, 09:13 AM)NoShoes Wrote: So we’re close to 40 under after we cut griffin?  Who are we targeting?

Don't know, but I hope Engram and Key get sewn up. 

No idea if Taylor is in their plans or not.

(02-28-2023, 08:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 08:08 AM)jj82284 Wrote: To quote the immortal vic Ketchman "dime a dozen"

You really think Engram is a dime-a-dozen TE, easily replaceable?

I'm pretty sure he meant that the Jags get that type of production from a TE once every 12 years. 

(see 2011 Marcedes Lewis)
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...wiMa00.htm