Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can we get past the Chiefs?

11 draft picks.  16Mil under the cap.  Not likely to lose any essential coaches.  Oldest OLine member is 30.  WR corps improving, and Toney may be their new Hill.  Secondary young and improving.  Kelce still elite at 33.

They look to be our biggest obstacle in the years ahead.
What's the strategy moving forward to match them?  Thoughts?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-14-2023, 01:28 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: 11 draft picks.  16Mil under the cap.  Not likely to lose any essential coaches.  Oldest OLine member is 30.  WR corps improving, and Toney may be their new Hill.  Secondary young and improving.  Kelce still elite at 33.

The template is already out there. 
Defensively:
Really good zone coverage and pressure with four lineman are the best ways to limit Mahomes. 
Just be ready to adjust though, because Andy Reid damn sure will. 

Offensively:
Gotta be able able to score 30+ on their defense. That means blocking Chris Jones and taking advantage of their not stellar pass defense. (65% comp rate allowed, 33 TDs allowed, 207 first downs given up through the air) 

So, for the Jags that means they need to upgrade:

NB
OL
pass rushers of all types - interior and edge -
and make sure you've got a good receiving TE again

The same needs most fans are already talking about anyway.

The wildcard would be a strong safety who covers well. 
We have a guy who makes some big plays but struggles in coverage pretty frequently. 

If you're going to sit in zone, disguise coverage a bit, and play quick to the ball, then you need a SS adept at playing that way. 

The other thing is that the weaknesses we see  with Reid's squad right now will probably change by October. 

They'll be a tough out barring unforeseen issues.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2023, 02:53 PM by Cleatwood.)

(02-14-2023, 01:28 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: 11 draft picks.  16Mil under the cap.  Not likely to lose any essential coaches.  Oldest OLine member is 30.  WR corps improving, and Toney may be their new Hill.  Secondary young and improving.  Kelce still elite at 33.

Honestly.

You need an elite roster and then you still have to catch them on a bad day.

Just look at the Eagles. Hurts threw for 300 and a TD, ran for 3 TDs and they still lost. They even pressured Mahomes A TON. He just eluded the pressure (which he's the best at). It's really tough to beat them.

1. McKinnon, JuJu, and Hardman are all FA and may not return at the same cost.
2. Sky Moore had a few moments, but it is definitely not certain he will break out.
3. Toney definitely had moments, but he is still as injury prove as the Albino Tiger. He worked because they didn't need him to play every week. May not be the case next year.
4. Good secondary play from year to year is very inconsistent, and rookie progression more often not linear. 
5. Chris Jones may be getting a raise.
6. They benefited greatly from having the bye week. Their 2023 schedule looks kind of insane, so there is a decent chance they will not be the No 1 seed and won't get back to the AFC Champ game.
7. I know the Patriots just set crazy records for consecutive AFC titles game and division titles. Chiefs are already at No 2 in NFL history for both streaks. That type of longevity normally doesn't last because of luck, injuries, age, league catching up, etc. 

They will definitely be an obstacle, but they will not be insurmountable.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2023, 03:24 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

I am pumping the brakes a bit on my end. First step is proving that 2022 was not a fluke and that 2023 will indicate that we're belonging in the same conversation with the Chiefs.

Before we get to the Chiefs. We still have other obstacles to be concerned with. For one. Need to win this division. Secondly, the Bengals, Bills and Dolphins look just as legitimate as any other team in the AFC. I also would not discount a New England Patriots team as long as Belichick is there.

New England and Buffalo took a step back in 2022 due to changes at the offensive coordinator positions. They'll be a lot more stable in 2023. After watching the Superbowl game. My two biggest takeaways were the following for our own football team:

1. Lawrence needs more time in the pocket to keep pace with any of the top tier AFC teams.
2. Defensively we need to be able to get around and after the opposing QB's so Lawrence gets more time and possessions with the football in his hands.

Forget this skill player or that skill player. If I can protect my QB while rattling yours consistently? I have a chance in any game. What ultimately hurt the Eagles was fumbling that football with a chance to go up 21 - 7 instead of letting the game break even at 14 - 14.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Find a way to stop Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce. How do you do that? I have no clue. This season, no one could stop them. Even when Mahomes was playing with a high ankle sprain. I think we're gonna need not only smart drafting and free agency moves, but we need a lot of luck as well.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2023, 08:18 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-14-2023, 05:42 PM)IKhan't Wrote:

Find a way to stop Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce. How do you do that? I have no clue. This season, no one could stop them. Even when Mahomes was playing with a high ankle sprain. I think we're gonna need not only smart drafting and free agency moves, but we need a lot of luck as well.

I'm of the school that says, don't build your team to beat any other team.  Just build the best team you can, and let other teams worry about how to beat you.

And I agree with Caldrac.  Let's worry about getting past the Titans, Texans, and Colts.  We squeaked past a crippled Titans team this year.  Let's just keep getting better and worry about the Chiefs when and if the time comes.

(02-15-2023, 08:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 05:42 PM)IKhan't Wrote: Find a way to stop Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce. How do you do that? I have no clue. This season, no one could stop them. Even when Mahomes was playing with a high ankle sprain. I think we're gonna need not only smart drafting and free agency moves, but we need a lot of luck as well.

I'm of the school that says, don't build your team to beat any other team.  Just build the best team you can, and let other teams worry about how to beat you.

And I agree with Caldrac.  Let's worry about getting past the Titans, Texans, and Colts.  We squeaked past a crippled Titans team this year.  Let's just keep getting better and worry about the Chiefs when and if the time comes.

Agreed. We finally have a franchise QB. Let's just keep building around him to make this team a consistent playoff contender. Once we get to that point, we can worry about the next step.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2023, 11:51 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-15-2023, 08:30 AM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 08:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm of the school that says, don't build your team to beat any other team.  Just build the best team you can, and let other teams worry about how to beat you.

Agreed. We finally have a franchise QB. Let's just keep building around him to make this team a consistent playoff contender. Once we get to that point, we can worry about the next step.

Sure, but that strategy can limit you as well. Building to only beat our division foes may only take us so far. If we are built to beat the best, that should take care of the division.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Who ever beats the chiefs, will have to probably do it in a shoot out which the jags should be able to do if the offense gets better and better. It would be nice to add a piece or two on defense. Some disruption. Anyways, look at the bangles jags or bills as teams that can potentially get into a shoot out and beat the chiefs.

LOL. Aren’t we always going to try to build our best roster?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Just win the division is where I’m at with it. But to answer the question, it would be to get after Mahome boy and create turnovers and either play keep away or score with em.

Just glad the Chiefs are not in the AFC South. It was miserable in the past with Manning in the division, knowing if you lose 4 games you're likely battling for a wildcard spot.

Mahomes is a freak, no question. Since the jaguars lost in the 2017 AFCCG Mahomes has been in every single one since, and had ended his season either in the title game or the superbowl.

Theres only one real way to beat this guy, and it's gonna be dependant on if Trevor can play at the same level. It's definitely possible, but at the same time it's unrealistic to expect any QB to play up to Patty Mahomes level.. Talent wise he might already be the GOAT.

If we had a secondary playing lights out like we did in 2017 + a 3rd year Lawrence and maybe some improved pass rush I could see us competing with the Cheifs consistently, but that's asking A LOT. I think for this year in specific, we just have to hope that if we make the playoffs and we face them again that we see Trevor make another leap and go toe to toe with the MVP. Or get extremely lucky and catch Mahomes on one of his bad days (Which rarely ever happen).. maybe get some lucky turnovers or.. idk it's all hypothetical, Mahomes was down by 3 tds against Watson and the Texans one year in the playoffs and came back within 6 minutes. He was down with 12 seconds left against buffalo last season and still came back and won.. the guy is insane, the NFL is his until somebody steps up to his level and right now no QBs in the league are close to him.

Kelce with a knee injury. Questionable for tomorrow’s game against Detroit. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1002...-uncertain

I don’t wish injury on anyone, but this improves our chances depending on how serious this is.

When Hill left, everyone wondered if Mahomes would drop off. I think the true test is once Kelce is not available, will he be able to keep up the heroic play?

Probably, but dang if I'm not hoping it brings him back down to earth a bit!

(09-06-2023, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote: When Hill left, everyone wondered if Mahomes would drop off. I think the true test is once Kelce is not available, will he be able to keep up the heroic play?

Probably, but dang if I'm not hoping it brings him back down to earth a bit!

Yeah - I think Mahomes is special enough to transcend lackluster receiving talent, but he'll suffer in production a little bit when his top target is out against the better defenses.

After seeing them last night? Yes we can.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(09-08-2023, 09:06 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: After seeing them last night? Yes we can.

They have weaknesses. Especially at WR. Their offensive line play was not that great last night. Having two new tackles out there hurts them. Naturally, they have Mahomes. I am sure they'll make adjustments and they'll eventually get Kelce back on offense and Jones on defense.

They did at least show though that Mahomes can be effected if you can get around him enough and his WR's have stonehands. We'll see soon enough for ourselves in week two. Having the opportunity to play them, the Bills and Bengals in the regular season are awesome. It's an early indicator at the minimum.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-08-2023, 09:20 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 09:06 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: After seeing them last night? Yes we can.

They have weaknesses. Especially at WR. Their offensive line play was not that great last night. Having two new tackles out there hurts them. Naturally, they have Mahomes. I am sure they'll make adjustments and they'll eventually get Kelce back on offense and Jones on defense.

They did at least show though that Mahomes can be effected if you can get around him enough and his WR's have stonehands. We'll see soon enough for ourselves in week two. Having the opportunity to play them, the Bills and Bengals in the regular season are awesome. It's an early indicator at the minimum.

Right. my only concern is I don't like playing them after a tough loss like that. They're going to be hungry and desperate to not fall to 0-2. And Kelce is going to be rehabbing like a mad man to come back. I think it's safe to say Jones won't be playing.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS