Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Three highest risk/reward players at 24

(02-18-2023, 04:12 AM)Norseman Wrote: A bit on the side, but do you guys see the current coaching staff tilting the boom/bust-ratio in our favor? Seeing how many players who have improved throuout this season I would be more inclined to take more chances.

It would be interesting to watch the dynamics between Baalke and Pederson when deciding on their big board for the Jaguars. We know Baalke loves taking big players with freakish athletic traits. Trevon Walker certainly fit that category. We still don't know how good he will become as a pass rusher, although he has to improve significantly in this area to become an elite Edge rusher. I would still not have called him a high risk pick since his athleticism and other positive traits pretty much guaranteed he wouldn't be a total bust. Baalke has never had any hesitation in selecting players who had significant injuries like ACL's while in college. I could see Baalke favoring someone like Breese for these reasons, however I'm not sure how Pederson would feel about that. I could certainly see Pederson preferring that the Jaguars draft a "difference maker" on offense. If he is extremely high on Luke Musgrave, for example, I could see him as a possible pick despite the fact that he certainly falls into the high risk/reward category. Not saying Pederson would insist on an offensive player in round 1; he would just be more likely than Baalke to feel this way to his strength in coaching the offense.

Bottom line, we have no way of knowing their thoughts on this prior to draft-day. I'd prefer they not select anyone in the high risk/reward category in round 1 since there should be several "safer" choices who would be great fits for the Jaguars based on need and value. They are close to becoming a top 3 team in the AFC (as long as Lawrence and Pederson are around), but can't afford a bust at the number 1 pick if these hopes are to become a reality. Therefore, I would prefer they pass on players like Breese, Ringo and Musgrave in round 1- despite the fact that have the possibility of becoming elite players in the NFL. I'd be much less hesitant in rounds 2 and later to take a player in this category. Both Myles Jack and MJD fell into this category and were great picks in the 2nd round.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Three highest risk/reward players at 24 - by jaglou53 - 02-18-2023, 01:17 PM