Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cord?

My wife is endlessly irritated by the endless price increases from Xfinity.  She goes down to the local Xfinity story every 6 months or so, threatens to move to satellite TV, and somehow, some way, they come up with a new "special plan" which rolls back their price increases.  In all honesty, there's absolutely no way we are ever going to go to satellite TV.  But, I have been examining my viewing habits, and mostly what I watch is either streaming some TV show or movie from a streaming service, or Youtube.   I'm not watching any network TV except for sports, and right now we're in the annual sports desert.  

So here are my questions: 

Have any of you cut the cord, and is there anything you miss as a result?  

How do you get sports if you don't have network TV?

Can you record things if you don't have cable or satellite?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I have satellite TV and love it, but the fact of the matter is it will be gone in a few years. They’re hemorrhaging customers. All TV will be streamed within the next 10 years.

(03-16-2023, 08:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My wife is endlessly irritated by the endless price increases from Xfinity.  She goes down to the local Xfinity story every 6 months or so, threatens to move to satellite TV, and somehow, some way, they come up with a new "special plan" which rolls back their price increases.  In all honesty, there's absolutely no way we are ever going to go to satellite TV.  But, I have been examining my viewing habits, and mostly what I watch is either streaming some TV show or movie from a streaming service, or Youtube.   I'm not watching any network TV except for sports, and right now we're in the annual sports desert.  

I miss ease of access. Streaming is "slightly" cheaper. That is all dependent upon what your poison of choice is shows, movie and music wise. Some streaming services have exclusive deals. I get sports locally through Hulu TV with their local package option and I also get all the ESPN stuff and NFLNetwork stuff through SlingTV. You should be able to record things. I believe I have this option through a number of streaming services. 

Now, with that said. I am actually thinking about going back to cable. Because of ease of access and convenience. I have YouTube TV, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, HBO GO, SlingTV, etc. It becomes a chore just trying to find something to watch through all of these various services, not to mention, the more streaming devices you have in your home? The more taxing it becomes on your wifi and bandwidth. 

You'll end up wanting to get a better premium internet provider if you live with a large family, work from home, have a kid or two, etc. I recently sat down last month, just to budget a little bit to see where I could save money. I am spending about $395 per month when you factor in Comcast Internet + all of those streaming services. It adds up quick. 

I could probably go back to Comcast today, get a fully loaded box with just as many channels and ease of access for about $100 less I am willing to bet per month. Now, with that also being said, not everybody is going to need all of the BS that I have. So, what works for me, may not work for you, etc.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023, 08:39 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-16-2023, 08:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My wife is endlessly irritated by the endless price increases from Xfinity.  She goes down to the local Xfinity story every 6 months or so, threatens to move to satellite TV, and somehow, some way, they come up with a new "special plan" which rolls back their price increases.  In all honesty, there's absolutely no way we are ever going to go to satellite TV.  But, I have been examining my viewing habits, and mostly what I watch is either streaming some TV show or movie from a streaming service, or Youtube.   I'm not watching any network TV except for sports, and right now we're in the annual sports desert.  

I have YouTubeTV and have no interest in ever going back to cable. 

The easy to use guide, unlimited DVR, I can easily watch it/sign in anywhere and…. The best part… they’re getting Sunday Ticket next season.

(03-16-2023, 08:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

I miss ease of access. Streaming is "slightly" cheaper. That is all dependent upon what your poison of choice is shows, movie and music wise. Some streaming services have exclusive deals. I get sports locally through Hulu TV with their local package option and I also get all the ESPN stuff and NFLNetwork stuff through SlingTV. You should be able to record things. I believe I have this option through a number of streaming services. 

Now, with that said. I am actually thinking about going back to cable. Because of ease of access and convenience. I have YouTube TV, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, HBO GO, SlingTV, etc. It becomes a chore just trying to find something to watch through all of these various services, not to mention, the more streaming devices you have in your home? The more taxing it becomes on your wifi and bandwidth. 

You'll end up wanting to get a better premium internet provider if you live with a large family, work from home, have a kid or two, etc. I recently sat down last month, just to budget a little bit to see where I could save money. I am spending about $395 per month when you factor in Comcast Internet + all of those streaming services. It adds up quick. 

I could probably go back to Comcast today, get a fully loaded box with just as many channels and ease of access for about $100 less I am willing to bet per month. Now, with that also being said, not everybody is going to need all of the BS that I have. So, what works for me, may not work for you, etc.
Why do you have sling and YouTubetv?

About 6 years in to no cable or satellite tv. I really thought I would miss it, but I just don't. We change streaming services based on what we want to watch almost monthly. I have a few main services we keep every month Netflix and Prime. But even Netflix got stale for a few months and I cut it off. When walking dead was on I'd buy amc plus for a few months then shut off. When Yellowstone's on I turn on Paramount plus for a few months. 

When football season kicks in and I need "live tv" I'll do Hulu live or sling tv for the season. For news I can go to free streaming sites and see most main news outlets. 

There's souch streaming it's possible to have more tv then with cable it's also possible to spend more then cable which was the main reason we turned off cable! So my advise cut the cable and then if you really miss watching something find out what streaming service it's on and use it for a while. Then switch to another one but if you keep them all it'll cost more.

As for recording you can on the live tv packages so Hulu live for example. But since everything is streaming you don't need to. I missed a show last Sunday but after it airs it's available for streaming on that networks app. 

A smart tv is a must imo.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023, 09:29 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-16-2023, 08:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

I have YouTubeTV and have no interest in ever going back to cable. 

The easy to use guide, unlimited DVR, I can easily watch it/sign in anywhere and…. The best part… they’re getting Sunday Ticket next season.

(03-16-2023, 08:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I miss ease of access. Streaming is "slightly" cheaper. That is all dependent upon what your poison of choice is shows, movie and music wise. Some streaming services have exclusive deals. I get sports locally through Hulu TV with their local package option and I also get all the ESPN stuff and NFLNetwork stuff through SlingTV. You should be able to record things. I believe I have this option through a number of streaming services. 

Why do you have sling and YouTubetv?

Because I am lazy. Hence the budgeting and looking back at things. LOL. Had no clue YouTube TV is getting Sunday Ticket next year. The crazy part is that I have all of these options but I primarily stick to YouTube. I like music, documentaries, compilation videos and [BLEEP] like that more than anything from content creators. 

I think I only use HBO MAX for old reruns, like now, we're watching Rome. And then naturally for Game of Thrones. It's my wife mostly with all of her [BLEEP] she keeps up with. Which I don't mind. She works full time so it's not like we can't afford it. But, we were looking at budgeting just incase one of us gets [BLEEP] canned this year. 

Economy sucks right now..
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I am going to sign up for Sunday Ticket this year, because I spend a lot of time away from Jacksonville. But I am a little unclear as to whether you can get Sunday Ticket without Youtube TV. I thought I saw where you will be able to get it (not free of course) just on plain old Youtube, without Youtube TV.

None of this would be necessary if Xfinity wouldn't sneakily creep our rates up month by month, which pisses off my wife considerably.

When I cut the cord around 2010 the challenge was finding all of the content you wanted via streaming.
Saving money compared to cable was not an issue at all.

Now, with the giant number of a la carte streaming options, the challenge is limiting yourself to a few that keep you under the old cost of a direct tv or cable subscription.

I remember a few of us predicting this boon of a la carte services in the old original thread about this many years ago.
And here we are. Living it.

Right now I probably have 5 subscriptions and I need to pare it down to 3. I tend to just keep Netflix and Amazon constant and rotate the third between HBO-Max, Disney/ESPN+/Hulu package, or an amazon add-on channel like AMC etc.

Right now I have all of them going and it's silly because I don't have time to watch all of that stuff.

(on original topic - just get a good OTA antenna for network sports in addition to your streaming stuff)

(03-16-2023, 11:49 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: When I cut the cord around 2010 the challenge was finding all of the content you wanted via streaming.
Saving money compared to cable was not an issue at all.

Now, with the giant number of a la carte streaming options, the challenge is limiting yourself to a few that keep you under the old cost of a direct tv or cable subscription. 

I remember a few of us predicting this boon of a la carte services in the old original thread about this many years ago.
And here we are. Living it.

Right now I probably have 5 subscriptions and I need to pare it down to 3.  I tend to just keep Netflix and Amazon constant and rotate the third between HBO-Max, Disney/ESPN+/Hulu package, or an amazon add-on channel like AMC etc.

Right now I have all of them going and it's silly because I don't have time to watch all of that stuff.

(on original topic - just get a good OTA antenna for network sports in addition to your streaming stuff)

Yup I remember that thread I was just kicking the idea of cord cutting at the time

I tried SlingTV a back when it was still relatively new. I wasn't terribly impressed at the time as the video quality was a little iffy. I switched back to satellite but now get most of my premium channels via on demand streaming. I will probably switch to all streaming in the next year or two as they've improved and the selection has gotten better. Even DirecTV has a streaming only option now. B'bye satellites.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

transitioned to YouTubeTV about 4 years ago and would never go back. Thought I'd miss channel surfing but you get to arrange channels as you desire and the icons pop up based on your watching preferences. Unlimited DVR is great. I record everything and ffwd through the commercials. YouTubeTV has a lot of sports channels (ESPNs, FS1 FS2, CBS Sports, ACC, SEC, Big10 Networks as well as Telemundo and Univision for soccer if you care for that.

Not sure how comcast does things these days but I'm most certain I couldn't go back. Especially when they make you rent those stupid boxes for each TV.

This question has been asked a few times over the years.  I’ll post a link to my previous post regarding my setup which I’m still running today though some of the subscription prices have gone up since the date of that post.  Here’s the link:

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...#pid758374

Things have changed a tad since then.  My current list of subscriptions is the Disney bundle (Disney+, Hulu and ESPN), HBOMax, Amazon Prime and Peacock.  HBOMax is free with my phone plan and Peacock was running a deal last September for $20 one time fee for 2 years access that I took advantage of.  

One of the keys to saving money is to alternate services throughout the year rather than just keeping them on and draining your account on a monthly basis.  We’ll sign up for Netflix and/or appletv+ occasionally but usually sign up and cancel immediately to avoid recurring charges and just binge the shows I want over the month I have the service. Rinse/repeat with a different service the following month or whenever.  The Tablo I mention in the link above has its uses still but may not be all that necessary.  The biggest thing it does for me is being able to access antenna tv from any tv in the house without having to run antenna line to each tv.  To be quite honest, most of the above is for the wife.  I watch a few shows on Disney+, a few shows on HBOMax, occasionally hook up Netflix for a show or comedy special, use ESPN rarely and watch old shows or sports on network TV or some of the sub channels through Tablo.  I actually watch less tv than what it sounds like, but that’s the routine in a nutshell.

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes. No.
2. Streaming packages, and see my link above.
3. Yes with a DVR like Tablo or other or cloud DVR through one of the streaming services.

Happy to answer any other questions about my set up or in general.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023, 12:14 AM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

Digital antenna. But we only watch football on it. If we want to watch something specific like the Tour de France we sign up for Peacock for the month. Peacock has a lot of sports actually. NASCAR, IMSA, currently airing speed skating and different winter sports. They have golf, water sports, rugby, soccer, cycling, etc., all during their respective seasons. And the Olympics, of course.

For the road cycling season this year we signed up for GCN+ which streams almost every road cycling race outside of the handful NBC/Peacock has the rights to. If there are specific sports you want to see you may have to sign up for a specific service for the length of that season. 

We cut the cord in 2013 and rarely regret it. We have Prime, Netflix, Hulu+Disney, and Discovery+. Those cover pretty much everything we have an interest in. On occasion we throw in HBO Max or Paramount for a month to catch up on a series we enjoy. 

It's all on demand so we watch when we want to, or when we can. Hubby works nights and a 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off rotation so we don't watch much at the same time. On demand is mandatory for us.

Also, we do all of this through Roku. One box. Easy.

Umbilical?

I haven't had cable and/or satelite in forever and have not missed it one bit. Anytime I want to watch something on local tv, just use an antenna, and as for other entertainment I have a Prime Video account, ESPN package which includes Hulu, ESPN plus, and Disney plus, and Discovery plus because I like true crime and similar. Netflix also. Overall, cheaper than what I was paying and better for me in a lot of ways.

I can see DirecTV, Spectrum, etc really being obsolete sooner rather than later when they have to compete with Youtube TV, Sling, etc.
#Jags4Life

Tar Heel Jags Fan

I love my Xfinity cable.. I always get the MLB Extra Innings too.. Very seldom do I miss a Sox game.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-17-2023, 02:05 PM)Butters Wrote: I haven't had cable and/or satelite in forever and have not missed it one bit. Anytime I want to watch something on local tv, just use an antenna, and as for other entertainment I have a Prime Video account, ESPN package which includes Hulu, ESPN plus, and Disney plus, and Discovery plus because I like true crime and similar. Netflix also. Overall, cheaper than what I was paying and better for me in a lot of ways.

I can see DirecTV, Spectrum, etc really being obsolete sooner rather than later when they have to compete with Youtube TV, Sling, etc.

YouTube TV, etc can't compete with Directv and Cable for long-term. Why is that, they are artificially keeping the price low. They are already removing channels and having disputes because of price increases. They can't keep losing money.

Directv already has a streaming option but it's not that much cheaper than satellite. For now, I prefer 1 service instead of relying on internet in addition to be able to stream. You need power only for satellite and you can run that on a generator if needed and that's important in FL.

Plus if you are streaming multiple TVs or devices at once, you my end up reaching internet download limits and you need a high connection.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(03-17-2023, 10:44 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 02:05 PM)Butters Wrote: I haven't had cable and/or satelite in forever and have not missed it one bit. Anytime I want to watch something on local tv, just use an antenna, and as for other entertainment I have a Prime Video account, ESPN package which includes Hulu, ESPN plus, and Disney plus, and Discovery plus because I like true crime and similar. Netflix also. Overall, cheaper than what I was paying and better for me in a lot of ways.

YouTube TV, etc can't compete with Directv and Cable for long-term. Why is that, they are artificially keeping the price low. They are already removing channels and having disputes because of price increases. They can't keep losing money.

Directv already has a streaming option but it's not that much cheaper than satellite. For now, I prefer 1 service instead of relying on internet in addition to be able to stream. You need power only for satellite and you can run that on a generator if needed and that's important in FL.

Plus if you are streaming multiple TVs or devices at once, you my end up reaching internet download limits and you need a high connection.

For what it's worth I'm in the outskirts of palatka and only have dsl. I have no problem streaming on multiple tvs Internet connections have vastly improved over the last 10 years.

(03-18-2023, 01:38 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 10:44 PM)p_rushing Wrote: YouTube TV, etc can't compete with Directv and Cable for long-term. Why is that, they are artificially keeping the price low. They are already removing channels and having disputes because of price increases. They can't keep losing money.

For what it's worth I'm in the outskirts of palatka and only have dsl. I have no problem streaming on multiple tvs Internet connections have vastly improved over the last 10 years.

You can't be streaming high quality stuff without a large buffer available. Sure you can lower the quality but who wants to do that.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I’m riding my DirecTv subscription out to the bitter end. Between them, Amazon and the free Netflix and HBO subscriptions thrown in by T-Mobile, I have more than I need. Plus I have Curiosity Stream for around $15 a year. But I’m not into all the shows that many on here like to watch, so it works for me.