Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Defensive improvement in Context

Having seen the entire offseason and preseason play out the way it has, I am left with the opinion that this is the best, most athletic and talented defense we have fielded in quite some time.  As I tried to put this in perspective,a question popped into my head.  Which of the guys on this defense, if any could have started on the best defenses in this franchise's history, most notably the 1999 defense and the 2004-2007 defenses?

I  contend that Malik Jackson, Jared Odrick, Myles Jack, Poz, Ramsey would definitely start on that 1999 defense, with Amukumara and House being possible starters on that team.  I would start Malik Jackson over Seth Payne and Jared Odrick over Renaldo Wynn on that defensive line.  At LB, I think Jack would do well at either Will with Hardy playing in Paup's spot, or, when you consider what Coughin and Capers asked Paup to do, Jack could have played Paup's role and easily upgraded the position.  I think Poz starts over Marts inside.  I think Ramsey easily upgrades either CB position on that team.  I think Amukumara/House would be great competition with Aaron Beasley.  One omission from earlier.  I think Gipson has as much range as Lake did then and would have ben the better longer term free agent investment.  However, because Lake was familiar with the concepts utilized by Capers, I think he would have gotten the nod over Gipson.

There are guys on this team who would be candidates to start on those early JDR era defenses as well.  As dominant as those teams were, JDR never found a consistent, long term pass rusher.  Accordingly, I think Fowler would be a good fit on those defenses.  Jack fits in at will on those teams, and any of Ramsey, House or Amukumara fits in  opposite Rashean Mathis.  I don't think, however, that Gipson starts over Deon Grant.

For a good chuckle, try plugging in some of those Gene Smith era guys into those defenses.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:...

There are guys on this team who would be candidates to start on those early JDR era defenses as well.  As dominant as those teams were, JDR never found a consistent, long term pass rusher.  Accordingly, I think Fowler would be a good fit on those defenses.  Jack fits in at will on those teams, and any of Ramsey, House or Amukumara fits in  opposite Rashean Mathis.  I don't think, however, that Gipson starts over Deon Grant.

For a good chuckle, try plugging in some of those Gene Smith era guys into those defenses.

Regarding the JDR era Defense and the MIKE position specifically, I think Peterson and Poz are two different animals so to speak. Peterson trumps Poz in terms of pass coverage and speed, but Poz has the upper edge in run support. Not just in tackles, but in being able to absorb blocks and shed.

While the potential is there, none of the young pass rushers have shown the production of Reggie Hayward. Not saying that they will, nor that Heyward is the gold standard of DEs, but let's just slap an "incomplete" on that analysis. 

It's going to be fun to see if Jackson can be the player that Stroud was. Marcus had all of the talent in the world and was quite the mainstay. If Jackson can supplant his place, then we really have something. Along those lines, Miller fits in better into the Nose in this Defense than Henderson ever would. While Henderson was effective, it was honestly rather short lived. I love Henderson's athleticism, but I think I value Miller's stoutness at the Point of Attack a bit more.

I like this era's CBs much better and I also like the long term outlook of the Safeties a bit more. 

So yeah Bullseye. I'd say as far as raw talent goes, this is about as good as it's ever gotten around here. I can't wait to watch this Defense grow together.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote: 

I think we need to mentally "burn the tape" of the Gene Smith era.   It's just too painful to remember. 

Quote:Regarding the JDR era Defense and the MIKE position specifically, I think Peterson and Poz are two different animals so to speak. Peterson trumps Poz in terms of pass coverage and speed, but Poz has the upper edge in run support. Not just in tackles, but in being able to absorb blocks and shed.

While the potential is there, none of the young pass rushers have shown the production of Reggie Hayward. Not saying that they will, nor that Heyward is the gold standard of DEs, but let's just slap an "incomplete" on that analysis. 

It's going to be fun to see if Jackson can be the player that Stroud was. Marcus had all of the talent in the world and was quite the mainstay. If Jackson can supplant his place, then we really have something. Along those lines, Miller fits in better into the Nose in this Defense than Henderson ever would. While Henderson was effective, it was honestly rather short lived. I love Henderson's athleticism, but I think I value Miller's stoutness at the Point of Attack a bit more.

I like this era's CBs much better and I also like the long term outlook of the Safeties a bit more. 

So yeah Bullseye. I'd say as far as raw talent goes, this is about as good as it's ever gotten around here. I can't wait to watch this Defense grow together.

Though I think you're a little hard on Henderson, overall your post is on point. It would be fun watching Poz play run defense behind Stroud and Henderson.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Though I think you're a little hard on Henderson, overall your post is on point. It would be fun watching Poz play run defense behind Stroud and Henderson.

The thing that bothered me about him was his inconsistency. Granted, I think a lot of that was due to JDR and his waffling style, but my issue was with the results, so there. I'm not saying that Henderson wasn't completely dominant at times, but how many dominant seasons did he string together? I'm happy he was on the team and I was sad when he left. I just feel like he left so much on the table.

As for Poz playing behind those two monsters? Oh hell yeahhhh.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Aaron Beeeeeeeasly.